Brewer Fanatic

Your 2014 Nashville Sounds

Mass Haas
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who takes Hellweg's starts?

I'd like to see Jungmann get bumped, I'd hope they aren't planning using Figaro long-term but I guess we'll see. He's a veteran who spent most of his career as a starter so there would be logic in sliding Figaro into that slot long-term.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Who takes Hellweg's starts?

The Nashville media notes have indicated that 29-year-old LHP Brad Mills (career stats) is now in the rotation. Today's Figaro start is a spot start because of the doubleheader.

Of course, there are any number of ways this becomes a fluid situation again.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Sounds’ Mike Fiers making most of opportunity

by Nick Cole, The Tennessean

Sounds starting pitcher Mike Fiers was hurting in more ways than many knew last season.

Mentally, the right-hander was trying to overcome an early season demotion to the minors after finishing the 2012 season as a key member of the Milwaukee Brewers’ rotation. His 7.25 ERA in 22 1/3 innings for Milwaukee was nearly double his 3.74 mark in 127 2/3 innings the previous season.

Physically, his concerns about an underwhelming season quickly disappeared when a line drive off the bat of New Orleans’ Kevin Kouzmanoff ricocheted off Fiers’ pitching arm. It resulted in a broken forearm, and although it did not require surgery, the June 15 appearance at Greer Stadium would be his last one of the season.

Emotionally, Fiers had been playing despite his mother suffering from an illness at home in Florida. After being granted time pitching with Advanced-A Brevard County to be closer to her in May, an injured Fiers was able to return to her side in June. But she died in August, bringing Fiers’ year to its lowest point.

The compilation of grief and pain would be enough to break most people, but Fiers pressed on with his baseball career, determined to rehabilitate his arm and his heart to make good on the fresh start a new season promised.

“You’ve just got to suck it up and deal with it,” he said. “And I think that’s what I did. You can’t sit around and pout about it or feel bad for yourself. I just tried to get back as quick as possible and be even better than what I was.”

And he has not disappointed.

The 28-year-old is off to a hot start to the season for Nashville, earning the Brewers’ minor league pitcher of the month honors with a 5-0 record and 0.80 ERA through five April starts.

“He is commanding the strike zone,” Sounds manager Rick Sweet said. “A lot of times we talk about throwing strikes, but when I say commanding the strike zone, I mean he’s pitching in the strike zone with command; he’s not just throwing over the plate. He’s pitching to corners, he’s pitching up and down and he’s got good command of his breaking ball and his changeup…

“His stuff is good, but the biggest thing right now is the command of all his pitches in and out of the strike zone, because it is as important to be able to command the ball out of the strike zone as it is in the strike zone.”

That command, which the former 22nd round draft pick has used to rocket through the Brewers system with a strikeout-to-walk ratio better than 4-to-1, did not just re-appear overnight.

First, Fiers had to get over the mental hurdles associated with being hit by a batted ball.

“As a pitcher, you always have those close calls when balls are hit back up the middle,” Fiers said. “You’re kind of always leery about it, but you worry especially after you get hit. You’re a little timid on throwing a pitch and having it come back at you, so you’re not really focusing on your pitching.”

Fiers went to Venezuela over the winter to face live hitters in meaningful games. The numbers weren’t pretty (0-1, 11.05 ERA), but the result was that Fiers was ready for action at Brewers camp in Arizona this spring.

“That’s why I went to winter ball,” he said. “I was able to put that away, put it in the back of my mind and just move forward with it.”

Although he yielded five earned runs to the Iowa Cubs in his first loss of the season on Monday, Fiers still leads the Pacific Coast League with 51 strikeouts and a 0.78 WHIP in 38 2/3 innings.

“It’s nice to see,” Sounds pitching coach Fred Dabney said. “We knew that he would eventually get to where he was when he was really doing well in the big leagues. That’s just his nature, his personality and his make-up. He’s always been a gamer.”

When asked if he thought Fiers’ performance level was worthy of another shot at pitching in Milwaukee, Dabney didn’t hesitate.

“Yes,” he said with a grin. “Definitely.”

• 2 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Brewers top pitching prospect Nelson dominating in Nashville

by Greg Pogue, Fox Sports Tennessee

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Jimmy Nelson doesn't mind the label of top pitching prospect for the Milwaukee Brewers, but he does get some grief about it from his Nashville Sounds teammates.

"It's just stuff you try not to concentrate on," said Nelson, the Brewers' 2010 second-round draft pick. "Of course, you get worn out a little bit about it from the (teammates) in here, but it's all in good fun. It's just something for the fans to see from the outside looking in and see what kind of stuff we have in our system and what to look forward to."

What Nelson is looking forward to most these days is making the Brewers' starting rotation and staying there. He got a taste of "The Show" last year when he was called up for the first time as major league rosters expanded in September. After three relief appearances for the Brewers, he made his starting debut against the New York Mets, going five strong innings and allowing only one hit and one earned run in the no-decision. In all, he pitched 10 innings with a 0.90 ERA with eight strikeouts.

Back at Triple-A Nashville this year, Nelson is currently riding a string of nine straight quality starts in racing out to a 5-1 record and a 1.71 ERA, the second-best mark in the Pacific Coast League.

"Right now, it's the command of his pitches," Sounds pitching coach Fred Dabney said. "A couple of things that are helping him out is that he is able to throw his sinker to both sides of the plate. Then, he's mixing in the changeup a little bit more consistently, using it more and trusting it more."

When he was drafted out of the University of Alabama, the 6-foot-6, 245-pound right-hander was considered a power pitcher. But as he climbed through the minor leagues, Nelson complemented his fastball that can steadily reach 96 miles per hour with a nasty slider that tops out in the low-90s.

But what makes him major-league worthy is development of a deceptive changeup that he can now throw as an out pitch.

"He has confidence in it, which is a good thing because it started off as his third-best pitch," Dabney said. "But he's using it more effectively. It's closer to his slider than it was further away from it. It's now more of a major-league pitch for him."

But don't kid yourself. It's Nelson's fastball that has Brewers fans frothing. In last Sunday's no-decision (a walk-off loss to Iowa), Nelson threw six scoreless innings and matched a season high of nine strikeouts. One radar gun had him topping at 99 miles per hour on several pitches.

"I've got a couple different fastballs -- a four-seam and the sinker -- and I use both of them to lefties and righties," Nelson said. "It helps having two different fastballs with two different looks, even though they are generally in the same speed range. I try to throw the slider hard to have it kind of look like the fastball out of the hand. It has been a good pitch for me my whole career."

Nelson's emergence for the Brewers helped ease the loss of not being able to sign pitcher Dylan Covey, the team's 2010 first-round draft pick who instead signed collegiately at San Diego State. He was drafted three years later in the fourth round by the A's and is pitching this season for the club's Single-A team in the Midwest League.

Then again, pitching depth is a strong suit throughout the Brewers' organization, including the current rotation of veterans Yovani Gallardo, Kyle Lohse, Matt Garza and Marco Estrada. The fifth starter is promising Wily Peralta, an undrafted signee in his second season who emerged from franchise's top pitching prospect label, the one now held by Nelson.

Brewers middle reliever Tyler Thornburg, the team's third-round draft pick in 2010, is expected to eventually emerge as a starter as well. This season, he has pitched in 22 games and is 3-1 with a 2.28 ERA, plus 23 strikeouts in 22 2/3 innings. And there's more on the way, considering the Sounds' pitching staff is the best in the PCL, leading in team ERA (3.86) and strikeouts (389 in 393 1/3 innings). They've also allowed the fewest runs (181), earned runs (161) and home runs (31).

Battling with Nelson to be Sounds' ace -- and potentially be first in line for a call-up -- is right-handed starter Mike Fiers, who is 6-1 with a 2.43 ERA, fifth-best in the PCL. He went 9-10 with a 3.74 ERA as part of the Milwaukee rotation two years ago.

"Our system here with the Brewers has been underrated for years," Nelson said. "We've got a lot of guys that are very under the radar. We all work hard and get our work done. I'm happy to be able to be in this group of guys. There are a lot of good guys in this system."

"Our system here with the Brewers has been underrated for years," Nelson said. "We've got a lot of guys that are very under the radar. We all work hard and get our work done. I'm happy to be able to be in this group of guys. There are a lot of good guys in this system."

Pretty much spot on and very encouraging.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, seeing how our system is really breaking out, I thought it would be fun to rank prospects by current affiliate. Doing it this way sure makes it easier! It also helps me start building my tiers for our community lists.

Nashville Sounds Top 10

1. Jimmy Nelson - RHP: Similar arsenal to Wily Peralta. Should find similar success which is very exciting.

2. Taylor Jungmann - RHP: Big league arm. If he can find just find one more gear, he will be an effective starter.

3. Tyler Cravy - RHP: Very tough to hit. WHIP well under 1.00. Another big league arm to choose from.

4. Shawn Zarraga - C: Career .291/.381/.384 across 400 games. His 32:12 BB:K this year is absurd.

5. Johnny Hellweg - RHP: Injured. Huge arm made for the bullpen. Could be a dominant ROOGY or set-up guy.

6. Ariel Pena - RHP: Very good arm. Will need to make bullpen next ST or likely will be lost. Stuff to do it well.

7. Hunter Morris - 1B: Major league bat probably headed towards a bench role. Would be dangerous as part of a platoon.

8. Jason Rogers - Utility: Career .283/.364/.446 across 459 games with 11% BB rate. 35/43 in SB which is stellar for a large man. Could see a Casey McGehee type career.

9. Jeremy Jeffress - RHP: Power bullpen arm.

10. Caleb Gindl - OF: Career .291/.364/.457 across 833 MiLB games. .232/.335/.404 in 65 MLB games. I actually liked Gindl similarly to Lucroy as they came up together but Luc found another gear. Solid bench bat.

Jeffress has lost has rookie eligibility.

I'd put Rogers 6th since he has more positional flexibility already and I think is more likely to stick on the bench with his plate discipline.

With Rogers just up as well as Zarraga I'm not sure where he plays unless there is anticipation of Morris moving up perhaps? His OF work has been almost exclusively LF, so that doesn't seem super likely either.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Hogan High graduate Tyler Cravy has big league dreams

Ex-Hogan High pitcher Tyler Cravy has big league dreams

by Thomas Gase, Vallejo (CA) Times-Herald

Hogan High School may have been closed for the last three years, but one of its best athletes is still going strong.

Tyler Cravy, a 2007 graduate for the Spartans and a former Napa Valley College baseball pitcher, is currently in the Milwaukee Brewers' system. Although his minor league career has seen some bumpy roads in several states across the United States, he still has the same dream he had as a kid — to play in the major leagues.

"I actually got to pitch in Miller Park (the Milwaukee Brewers' home field) when I was with the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers," Cravy said. "It's a nice stadium and it's full of awesome fans and nice people. I definitely envisioned myself pitching there in a Major League game."

Cravy started the Double-A Southern League All-Star game for the Huntsville Stars this year. Soon after, he was promoted to the Brewers' Triple-A team, the Nashville Sounds. The Triple-A level is one step away from the Milwaukee Brewers, leaving the 24-year-old Cravy so close to realizing his dream, he could practically taste it. But like Cravy's stellar pitching, his career has had a lot of curves.

How it all started

Cravy said the first time he threw a curveball was at the age of 9 after his father taught him. Since many in the baseball world say you shouldn't throw a curveball until your teenage years because it might hurt your arm, Cravy had to hide it.

"It was a little tough to learn the pitch at first," Cravy said. "As a young kid though, I used it a lot but I just called them changeups. It wasn't until I was 14 or 15 that I was pretty comfortable throwing the pitch."

Not only did Cravy become comfortable with the pitch, he started to dominate opposing batters with it.

Cravy began his high school career at Hogan. He then transferred to Benicia for a semester during his sophomore year before transferring back to Hogan. Under the guidance of Hogan High head coach John Baptista and assistant coach Damien Nieves, Cravy soon became one of the best pitchers in the Solano County Athletic Conference.

"He had a real good fastball, but he had an outstanding curveball, especially at the high school level," remembers Baptista, a member of the Vallejo Sports Hall of Fame. "When he was pitching and he had two strikes on a batter and hadn't thrown the curve yet, I would just tell my assistants, 'Here comes another one. Here comes another strikeout.'"

Nieves, now the head baseball coach at Jesse Bethel High, agreed with Baptista.

"On the baseball field, he was a great worker," Nieves said. "He still had to gain a little weight later on in life as he was really thin, but he had a long arm. He had great velocity and a great curveball."

Cravy helped Hogan to an 18-8 overall record his senior year in 2007 — including a pair of wins over perennial league powerhouse Benicia. It was at a game against Bethel, however, that Cravy's career really seemed to take off.

"I was pitching against Bethel and some scout from the Boston Red Sox had come to see T.J. Warren of Bethel and I guess I pitched well that day," Cravy said. "After the game, he came up to me and told me he had liked what he had seen."

Cravy was on cloud nine following his high school career. He was one of the best pitchers in Northern California. He was confident, optimistic and excited.

He also had to have hernia surgery.

The first bounce-back from an injury

In 2008, hernia surgery forced Cravy to take a year off from pitching. After briefly attending Diablo Valley College, Cravy fought back from the injury in 2009 to pitch for Napa Valley College.

"I didn't think about the injury too much at the time," Cravy said. "I had been injured enough and knew I would get through it. I was a little worried though because I was now pitching in college when I came back and I hadn't played in a long time."

One of the first things he noticed when he came back was he was throwing the ball faster than ever.

"I used to throw a fastball around 85-86 miles per hour in high school, and all of a sudden I was now throwing around 90 or 91 mph," Cravy said. "It definitely surprised me. I wasn't expecting that at all."

It all came together for Cravy in 2009 with Napa. He went 8-3 in 15 appearances, while allowing less than three runs per game.

He broke the school record for most strikeouts in a season with 110 in 90 1/3 innings. He was named to the Community College Baseball All-America Team and was the Bay Valley Conference Player of the Year for 2009.

So in June of 2009 Cravy shouldn't have been too shocked when he saw his name flash on the bottom of his computer screen — he had been drafted by the Brewers in the 17th round of the 2009 Major League Baseball Draft.

"I thought the draft started at noon on the West Coast, but it was actually 9 a.m. when the draft started so I woke up late and the draft was already in the 15th round or close to it," Cravy said. "I sat at home on my computer and watched the draft tracker and all of a sudden my name came across the screen. At first it was totally surreal and then I turned around and yelled to my mom that the Brewers had just drafted me. Everyone just got real happy after that."

Cravy signed a deal that included a $75,000 signing bonus the next day. Soon after, he was headed to Arizona to begin his professional career.

The road to the bigs

Cravy's minor league career has been a little like the Beatles' hit on the album "Revolver": It's been here, there and everywhere. Cravy's first assignment was in Maryvale, Ariz., with the Brewers' rookie league team.

"I was definitely a little nervous and after a while I got a little homesick," Cravy said. "It was basically my first time away from home but after the first year, I got used to it."

In 2010 Cravy pitched for the advanced rookie league team in Helena, Mont. He continued to pitch in Montana until he was sent to the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers, the Brewers' Low-A team. Cravy had a 3-2 record and a 5.75 ERA there. These were not mind-staggering numbers by any means, and later that year he was sent down to Helena again. Cravy would have to make an adjustment if he wanted to get back on track.

Turning things around

Cravy would improve in 2012 by going 2-5 but with a much lower ERA of 3.38. Still, it was in 2013 that Cravy really started to see better results when he began pitching for the Brevard County Manatees, the Brewers' Class-A affiliate. While there, Cravy got important advice from Mark Dewey, the former San Francisco Giants' pitcher in the 1990s who is now the Manatees' pitching coach.

"I was a reliever in Brevard County at first but then a couple starters got hurt and I filled in," Cravy said. "I started to do well because I developed a new pitch, a cutter, that really started to become my out pitch even more than my curve ball. I also learned not to always go for the strikeout. I always figured I had to strike out people and I saw myself falling behind in counts. Dewey helped me be more confident and composed on the mound."

In 2013 with Brevard County, Cravy went 4-2 with an ERA of just 2.04. He was brought up shortly after to the Huntsville Stars, the Brewers' Double A team, where he pitched well by going 8-1 with a miniscule 1.72 ERA. He was rewarded for his pitching performance last month when he was named the starter for the Double A Southern League All-Star Game. Under that spotlight, he threw one inning and struck out one batter.

"I was surprised when they picked me because there are so many good pitchers," Cravy said. "Still, it was an honor to start that game and I had a lot of fun."

One last hurdle

Soon after pitching well in the All-Star game, Cravy would get another call — one that would leave him just one step away from his dream of the major leagues. Although Cravy was thrilled to move up again, this time to the Triple A Nashville Sounds, he went 11 days without pitching and in the end, it caused another setback.

While warming up for his first Triple-A game, Cravy didn't feel right and instead felt a lot of pain in his left oblique.

"It happened before the game, but here was a chance of a lifetime for me," Cravy said. "For a few innings it wasn't that, but then everything seemed to tighten up and by the fourth inning I could hear it popping every time I threw. After that I had to come out."

Cravy gave up just one run in 3 1/3 innings, but his pitching with the Sounds will have to go on hold for a little while. He was diagnosed with a left oblique strain that will keep him out around a month. He is on the Sounds' disabled list and is currently rehabbing in Arizona.

"I don't think it will keep me down that long and I don't think it's too serious," Cravy said. "I just want to stay positive, stay focused and I don't want to have a bad attitude with this."

Baptista doesn't see as much of Cravy as he used to, but he still keeps a close eye on how Cravy is doing and is confident the former Hogan pitcher can once again bounce back.

"I've been lucky enough to have coached 33 players that have made it to the majors," Baptista said. "He will be No. 34 if he can make it. He certainly has the ability to do so. I hear from scouts all the time telling me, 'Hey, your guy is doing well and moving on up.' I always smile when I hear that. He's a well-rounded baseball player and I know he has what it takes."

Hogan High graduate Tyler Cravy pitches as a member of the Huntsville Stars, a minor league affiliate of the Milwaukee Brewers, earlier this year. Cravy pitched and graduated from Hogan High in 2007. (PHOTO - Huntsville Stars)

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site296/2014/0705/20140705__VAL-L-FRONT%20AND%20CENTER-0706~1_GALLERY.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

2014 Nashville Sounds Season Review & Summary Part 1

Record: 77-67

Finish: 2nd American South Division

Playoffs: N/A

The Sounds were an extremely veteran ball club with few first timers in AAA. The 16 team PCL is split into 4 divisions of 4 teams each, the division winners advance to the postseason. Nashville's winning percentage was better than that of Omaha who won the American North with a 76-67 record by virtue of the fact Nashville played and won 1 more game. Nashville hadn't posted a winning season since the 77-67 record in 2010 and the 2013 season was just an awful 57-87 campaign which may have already sealed Milwaukee's fate with the affiliate coming into the season.

The Sounds were 13th of the 16 teams in terms of OPS, and much of the year were near the bottom of the league in HR totals, but a flourish of HRs through August bumped those numbers significantly. It's extremely difficult for teams outside of the West to be in the top of league without the games in the extreme run environments of places like Colorado City, Reno, and Tucson. Nashville had the lowest run total in the league, just 4.40 per game, finished 12 in AVE at .266, and were tied for last in OBP at .325. The low team OBP shouldn't be a surprise given the construction of the ball club which was very similar to Milwaukee in that there weren't very many patient hitters in the lineup.

Nashville did lead the league in ERA, edging out the Cubs affiliate in Iowa by .001, though most of the players whom contributed in large part to that stat were gone by season's end. Nelson, Fiers, Jeffress, and Mills had all moved up or on by August. The Sounds also took the SO and WHIP categories but were in the middle of the pack when it came to BBs.

All in all the club did accomplish most of what it was built to do which was provide MLB depth and win ball games. Many of us also thought the roster was direct move to provide a winner for Nashville in hopes of retaining the affiliation with the team. From a prospect perspective they weren't exciting to follow as a team, though the pitching was extraordinary for a time.

I wasn't thrilled with the roster construction as it started a logjam all the way through the system and I'd hope the news that the Sounds are looking to partner with a different organization for 2015 coupled with the success at the lower levels of the system would mean we'd see less of a veteran presence and more prospects on the team next year.

Position Players

(In order of total MILB PA.)

Sean Halton

Age 27

Halton's AVE went up 20 points this season at the expense of his OPS dropping almost 40 points as both his OBP and SLG went down, I would rather the AVE went down but the OBP and SLG went up. He's become more versatile defensively but as he's limited to the corners he just doesn't have the offensive game to support a starting role on a MLB club.

Halton at the plate:

[pre]Year Age G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS

2012 25 119 412 358 48 98 23 3 17 57 0 2 43 81 .274 .354 .497 .852

2013 26 96 399 352 51 96 29 2 11 51 6 2 35 92 .273 .348 .460 .809

2014 27 122 453 416 63 122 29 3 8 63 0 1 30 90 .293 .342 .435 .777

6 Seasons 649 2566 2303 304 670 162 11 59 369 21 13 190 504 .291 .350 .448 .798

AAA (3 seasons) 337 1264 1126 162 316 81 8 36 171 6 5 108 263 .281 .348 .463 .811[/pre]

Halton in the field:

[pre]Year Age Tm Lg Lev Aff G CG Ch PO A E DP Fld% RF/G

2014 27 Nashville PCL AAA MIL 1B 25 188 163 24 1 14 .995 7.48

2014 27 Nashville PCL AAA MIL LF 54 62 59 2 1 0 .984 1.13

2014 27 Nashville PCL AAA MIL RF 27 39 38 1 0 0 1.000 1.44

2014 27 Nashville PCL AAA MIL DH 14 0.00

2014 27 Nashville PCL AAA MIL OF 80 101 97 3 1 0 .990 1.25

6 Seasons 604 3992 3636 324 32 322 .992 6.56

1B (6 seasons) 1B 431 3744 3402 313 29 321 .992 8.62

LF (3 seasons) LF 84 107 101 4 2 0 .981 1.25

RF (2 seasons) RF 75 138 132 5 1 1 .993 1.83

OF (1 season) OF 80 101 97 3 1 0 .990 1.25

DH (1 season) DH 14 0.00

3B (1 season) 3B 1 3 1 2 0 0 1.000 3.00[/pre]

Halton's splits:

[pre]Split G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS

Total 122 451 414 63 122 29 3 8 63 0 1 30 90 .295 .344 .437 .781

Last 7 days 6 26 22 8 9 1 0 1 3 0 0 2 5 .409 .462 .591 1.052

Last 28 days 22 88 81 15 26 6 0 2 12 0 0 5 16 .321 .364 .469 .833

Last 90 days 71 262 249 40 78 19 1 5 37 0 1 11 47 .313 .344 .458 .801

Home 62 219 199 28 57 16 2 3 32 0 0 16 40 .286 .342 .432 .775

Away 60 232 215 35 65 13 1 5 31 0 1 14 50 .302 .345 .442 .787

vs RHP as RHB 106 278 253 67 13 2 5 35 18 60 .265 .317 .391 .708

vs LHP as RHB 68 173 161 55 16 1 3 28 12 30 .342 .387 .509 .897

April 22 82 73 10 17 3 1 2 6 0 0 8 22 .233 .305 .384 .688

May 27 99 84 13 26 7 1 1 20 0 0 11 20 .310 .394 .452 .846

June 21 72 70 10 21 5 0 1 7 0 0 2 13 .300 .319 .414 .734

July 25 91 87 14 26 6 0 2 17 0 0 4 16 .299 .330 .437 .766

August 26 102 95 13 29 7 1 1 11 0 1 5 19 .305 .343 .432 .775

September 1 5 5 3 3 1 0 1 2 0 0 0 0 .600 .600 1.400 2.000[/pre]

Hector Gomez

Age 28

Gomez experienced a break out year, far better offensively than anything he's done previously, he always had power potential according to scouts but this is the first year it translated at all. Here's what BA said about Gomez after 2011:

Staying healthy has been a problem for Gomez, who has played in just 214 games over the last four seasons. He missed all but one game in 2008 with a stress fracture in his left leg and an elbow injury that required Tommy John surgery, had groin problems in 2009 and a stress fracture in his right leg in 2010. He also had to deal with the death of his son shortly after his birth in June 2010. He and his girlfriend had a healthy son in May 2011, and Gomez was able to play in 102 games despite dealing with back problems. He went home at the end of the minor league season when the Rockies, needing shortstop depth because of several injuries, unexpectedly called him to the big leagues Sept. 16. He made his major league debut that night and went 2-for- 4 in his first start the following day. Colorado wrote him in the lineup twice in the next three days, but he had to be scratched because of a sore lower back and didn't play the rest of the season. Gomez has the tools to make all the plays at shortstop, including plus range, soft hands, quick feet and a very strong arm. He did a better job of playing under control in 2011, fielding a career-high .963. At the plate, Gomez has strong hands that whip the bat through the zone quickly and give him good pop for a middle infielder. He's capable of 15 homers per season, though he's such a free swinger that he often gets himself out by chasing pitches. Gomez will open 2012 in Triple-A, with the Rockies once again hoping that he finally can stay on the field for a full season.

He may have a MLB future after all but right now 2014 is the huge outlier in his career.

Gomez at the plate:

2014 26 121 442 408 59 115 25 6 15 49 5 3 21 80 .282 .325 .483 .808

9 Seasons 659 2724 2511 309 639 136 33 57 293 63 37 124 525 .254 .295 .403 .698[/pre]

Gomez in the field:

2014 26 Nashville PCL AAA MIL 2B 2 7 1 5 1 0 .857 3.00

2014 26 Nashville PCL AAA MIL 3B 3 8 1 7 0 2 1.000 2.67

2014 26 Nashville PCL AAA MIL SS 111 450 146 290 14 61 .969 3.93

2014 26 Nashville PCL AAA MIL DH 1 0.00

9 Seasons 618 2872 960 1767 145 360 .950 4.41

SS (9 seasons) SS 588 2770 936 1700 134 352 .952 4.48

2B (3 seasons) 2B 4 12 4 7 1 0 .917 2.75

3B (2 seasons) 3B 25 90 20 60 10 8 .889 3.20

DH (1 season) DH 1 0.00[/pre]

Gomez' splits:

Total 119 440 406 59 114 25 6 15 49 5 3 21 79 .281 .324 .483 .807

Last 7 days 3 13 11 2 4 0 0 0 1 0 0 2 1 .364 .462 .364 .825

Last 28 days 14 51 47 9 19 5 2 3 8 0 0 3 5 .404 .440 .787 1.227

Last 90 days 67 253 232 34 70 14 4 10 31 3 1 14 43 .302 .351 .526 .876

Home 57 197 179 28 46 8 2 3 15 1 1 10 36 .257 .316 .374 .691

Away 62 243 227 31 68 17 4 12 34 4 2 11 43 .300 .331 .568 .899

vs RHP as RHB 105 275 254 71 20 5 10 28 13 44 .280 .328 .516 .844

vs LHP as RHB 72 165 152 43 5 1 5 21 8 35 .283 .317 .428 .745

April 23 79 73 6 13 6 1 2 8 0 2 2 15 .178 .215 .370 .585

May 27 99 93 18 29 5 1 3 10 2 0 4 19 .312 .343 .484 .827

June 23 92 82 8 18 2 1 3 8 1 0 9 20 .220 .304 .378 .682

July 27 99 94 16 29 6 0 4 15 0 1 0 18 .309 .327 .500 .827

August 18 66 61 9 25 6 3 3 8 2 0 4 7 .410 .446 .754 1.200

September 1 5 3 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 .000 .400 .000 .400[/pre]

Eugenio Velez

Age 32

Velez is a classic journeymen having played for 5 different organizations no, he's accumulated 259 games in parts of 5 MLB seasons. He's been decent at plate but nothing really stands out offensively.

Velez at the plate:

2014 32 116 441 404 57 125 24 4 7 51 27 15 31 68 .309 .363 .441 .803

12 Seasons 987 3988 3618 548 1085 210 68 67 470 289 117 296 665 .300 .355 .451 .806[/pre]

Velez in the field:

2014 32 Nashville PCL AAA MIL 2B 33 111 39 69 3 10 .973 3.27

2014 32 Nashville PCL AAA MIL LF 63 69 63 4 2 0 .971 1.06

2014 32 Nashville PCL AAA MIL RF 2 1 1 0 0 0 1.000 0.50

2014 32 Nashville PCL AAA MIL DH 13 0.00

2014 32 Nashville PCL AAA MIL OF 64 70 64 4 2 0 .971 1.06

12 Seasons 941 2898 1491 1269 138 264 .952 2.93

2B (12 seasons) 2B 369 1541 631 863 47 191 .970 4.05

LF (8 seasons) LF 173 257 239 8 10 0 .961 1.43

3B (6 seasons) 3B 68 145 29 97 19 11 .869 1.85

CF (5 seasons) CF 117 295 286 1 8 0 .973 2.45

SS (4 seasons) SS 116 516 173 296 47 61 .909 4.04

RF (5 seasons) RF 86 144 133 4 7 1 .951 1.59

OF (1 season) OF 64 70 64 4 2 0 .971 1.06

DH (1 season) DH 13 0.00[/pre]

Velez' splits:

Total 115 441 404 57 125 24 4 7 51 27 14 31 68 .309 .363 .441 .803

Last 7 days 5 23 22 4 3 1 0 0 2 2 0 1 5 .136 .174 .182 .356

Last 28 days 21 92 85 12 25 4 1 1 12 5 2 4 15 .294 .337 .400 .737

Last 90 days 65 250 231 32 70 13 3 2 23 13 6 15 35 .303 .352 .411 .763

Home 62 223 204 33 58 11 3 2 22 11 4 15 41 .284 .341 .397 .738

Away 53 218 200 24 67 13 1 5 29 16 10 16 27 .335 .385 .485 .870

vs RHP as LHB 98 279 261 89 19 4 5 35 15 36 .341 .380 .502 .882

vs LHP as RHB 69 162 143 36 5 0 2 16 16 32 .252 .333 .329 .662

April 22 82 74 13 30 6 0 3 15 7 6 7 11 .405 .463 .608 1.072

May 25 100 90 12 24 5 1 2 12 7 2 9 21 .267 .330 .411 .741

June 19 64 60 7 16 5 0 1 7 2 0 3 7 .267 .313 .400 .713

July 23 88 81 13 27 4 2 0 5 6 2 7 13 .333 .386 .432 .818

August 25 102 95 10 28 4 1 1 12 4 4 4 15 .295 .333 .389 .723

September 1 5 4 2 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 .000 .200 .000 .200[/pre]

Caleb Gindl

Age 26

Gindl had maybe the most disappointing season on the team, he didn't get much of an MLB opportunity this year but he didn't really earn it either. Recently DFA'd this may have been his last hoorah with the organization after his 4th year in Nashville.

Gindl's MLB career:

[pre]Year Age Tm G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+

2013 24 MIL 57 155 132 17 32 7 2 5 14 2 1 20 25 .242 .340 .439 .779 113

2014 25 MIL 8 23 19 0 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 4 5 .158 .304 .158 .462 34

2 Yrs 65 178 151 17 35 7 2 5 14 2 1 24 30 .232 .335 .404 .739 103

162 Game Avg. 162 444 376 42 87 17 5 12 35 5 2 60 75 .232 .335 .404 .739 103[/pre]

Gindl at the plate:

[pre]Age G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS

22 126 538 472 84 145 23 5 15 60 6 5 63 93 .307 .390 .472 .862

23 127 497 452 54 118 27 5 12 50 4 1 37 98 .261 .317 .423 .740

24 83 347 312 33 92 21 3 11 51 1 2 30 72 .295 .358 .487 .846

25 110 408 362 40 82 20 1 8 32 2 2 42 88 .227 .310 .354 .663

8 Seasons 878 3595 3170 459 905 199 25 90 447 59 28 367 703 .285 .360 .449 .809[/pre]

Gindl in the field:

2014 25 Nashville PCL AAA MIL LF 38 48 46 1 1 0 .979 1.24

2014 25 Nashville PCL AAA MIL CF 37 59 58 1 0 0 1.000 1.59

2014 25 Nashville PCL AAA MIL RF 43 60 56 4 0 1 1.000 1.40

2014 25 Nashville PCL AAA MIL OF 104 167 160 6 1 1 .994 1.60

8 Seasons 856 1565 1469 68 28 15 .982 1.80

RF (8 seasons) RF 573 990 921 49 20 12 .980 1.69

CF (7 seasons) CF 212 439 422 11 6 2 .986 2.04

LF (6 seasons) LF 85 136 126 8 2 1 .985 1.58

OF (1 season) OF 104 167 160 6 1 1 .994 1.60[/pre]

Gindl's splits:

Total 117 429 379 40 84 20 1 8 32 2 2 46 93 .222 .308 .343 .651

Last 7 days 6 18 15 1 1 1 0 0 2 0 0 1 7 .067 .167 .133 .300

Last 28 days 16 40 33 2 5 2 0 0 2 0 0 4 11 .152 .256 .212 .469

Last 90 days 66 230 201 18 39 10 1 3 19 1 1 25 53 .194 .288 .299 .587

Home 61 225 196 24 47 13 0 4 18 0 1 28 39 .240 .338 .367 .705

Away 56 204 183 16 37 7 1 4 14 2 1 18 54 .202 .276 .317 .593

vs RHP as LHB 110 307 271 67 17 1 8 22 35 59 .247 .333 .406 .739

vs LHP as LHB 58 122 108 17 3 0 0 10 11 34 .157 .246 .185 .431

April 24 100 90 13 25 7 0 2 6 0 0 10 22 .278 .350 .422 .772

May 25 91 80 8 19 3 0 2 6 1 1 11 17 .238 .330 .350 .680

June 25 98 91 8 23 4 1 2 8 0 1 7 19 .253 .306 .385 .691

July 23 84 71 9 10 3 0 2 10 0 0 12 20 .141 .274 .268 .541

August 19 51 44 1 7 3 0 0 0 1 0 6 14 .159 .260 .227 .487

September 1 5 3 1 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 1 .000 .200 .000 .200[/pre]

Jeremy Hermida

Age 30

Hermida is another veteran journeyman looking for another shot, here's his 8 year MLB career:

[pre]Year Age Tm Lg G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+

8 Yrs 632 2261 2012 248 517 104 9 65 250 22 8 216 517 .257 .334 .415 .749 96[/pre]

Hermida at the plate:

2014 30 108 408 340 52 87 20 0 16 67 0 2 62 90 .256 .370 .456 .826

12 Seasons 824 3422 2877 452 799 163 17 92 421 72 15 481 712 .278 .384 .442 .826[/pre]

Hermida in the field:

2014 30 Nashville PCL AAA MIL LF 5 11 11 0 0 0 1.000 2.20

2014 30 Nashville PCL AAA MIL RF 82 110 104 2 4 0 .964 1.29

2014 30 Nashville PCL AAA MIL DH 13 0.00

2014 30 Nashville PCL AAA MIL OF 87 121 115 2 4 0 .967 1.34

12 Seasons 691 1181 1106 35 40 4 .966 1.65

RF (11 seasons) RF 557 693 657 17 19 4 .973 1.21

LF (5 seasons) LF 42 63 60 2 1 0 .984 1.48

OF (4 seasons) OF 335 546 504 18 24 0 .956 1.56

CF (2 seasons) CF 2 0.00

DH (1 season) DH 13 0.00[/pre]

Hermida's splits:

Total 108 408 340 52 87 20 0 16 67 0 1 62 90 .256 .370 .456 .826

Last 7 days 6 27 20 6 6 2 0 3 8 0 0 7 8 .300 .481 .850 1.331

Last 28 days 23 95 80 14 19 7 0 5 22 0 0 13 27 .238 .337 .513 .849

Last 90 days 64 249 202 36 52 14 0 11 42 0 1 44 55 .257 .390 .490 .880

Home 50 186 154 26 42 14 0 7 37 0 1 29 33 .273 .387 .500 .887

Away 58 222 186 26 45 6 0 9 30 0 0 33 57 .242 .356 .419 .775

vs RHP as LHB 102 286 234 57 16 0 9 46 49 55 .244 .371 .427 .798

vs LHP as LHB 63 122 106 30 4 0 7 21 13 35 .283 .369 .519 .888

April 19 64 56 3 16 3 0 2 9 0 0 7 17 .286 .375 .446 .821

May 23 88 76 12 18 3 0 3 16 0 0 10 16 .237 .318 .395 .713

June 24 90 77 14 21 5 0 3 12 0 0 13 15 .273 .378 .455 .832

July 15 61 46 9 13 2 0 3 8 0 1 14 11 .283 .459 .522 .981

August 26 100 80 12 17 6 0 4 18 0 0 18 28 .213 .350 .438 .788

September 1 5 5 2 2 1 0 1 4 0 0 0 3 .400 .400 1.200 1.600[/pre]

Irving Falu

Age 31

Another veteran MLB journeyman the difference being all of Falu's MLB experience came within the last 3 seasons:

2012 29 KCR AL 24 91 85 14 29 6 1 0 7 0 2 4 9 .341 .371 .435 .806 119

2013 30 KCR AL 1 4 4 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .250 .250 .250 .500 38

2014 31 TOT NL 22 35 30 0 3 0 0 0 1 1 0 4 5 .100 .200 .100 .300 -11

2014 31 MIL NL 11 12 10 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 1 .000 .083 .000 .083 -74

2014 31 SDP NL 11 23 20 0 3 0 0 0 0 1 0 3 4 .150 .261 .150 .411 23

3 Yrs 47 130 119 14 33 6 1 0 8 1 2 8 14 .277 .320 .345 .665 84[/pre]

Falu at the plate:

2014 31 76 282 247 28 72 8 1 2 18 9 9 21 22 .291 .343 .356 .699

12 Seasons 1227 5272 4672 658 1300 173 55 28 407 220 105 450 437 .278 .342 .357 .699[/pre]

Falu in the field:

2014 31 Nashville PCL AAA MIL 2B 29 107 47 59 1 12 .991 3.66

2014 31 Nashville PCL AAA MIL 3B 23 51 15 34 2 0 .961 2.13

2014 31 Nashville PCL AAA MIL SS 28 108 35 71 2 9 .981 3.79

12 Seasons 1214 4753 1812 2792 149 584 .969 3.79

2B (12 seasons) 2B 346 1638 667 942 29 224 .982 4.65

SS (11 seasons) SS 564 2443 782 1564 97 335 .960 4.16

3B (8 seasons) 3B 175 425 128 277 20 24 .953 2.31

RF (5 seasons) RF 103 207 196 9 2 1 .990 1.99

CF (2 seasons) CF 9 17 17 0 0 0 1.000 1.89

LF (1 season) LF 17 23 22 0 1 0 .957 1.29[/pre]

Falu's splits:

Total 93 316 276 28 75 8 1 2 19 10 8 25 26 .272 .328 .330 .658

Last 7 days 5 20 18 1 7 2 0 0 2 0 1 1 0 .389 .421 .500 .921

Last 28 days 17 56 50 8 16 2 1 1 5 0 1 3 2 .320 .358 .460 .818

Last 90 days 52 157 141 14 37 4 1 1 11 3 3 11 17 .262 .314 .326 .640

Home 44 139 118 13 28 2 0 2 10 4 3 12 15 .237 .303 .305 .608

Away 49 177 158 15 47 6 1 0 9 6 5 13 11 .297 .347 .348 .695

vs RHP as LHB 74 186 164 39 5 1 0 9 14 19 .238 .291 .280 .572

vs LHP as RHB 54 130 112 36 3 0 2 10 11 7 .321 .382 .402 .784

April 21 82 71 5 19 3 0 0 5 5 4 5 3 .268 .308 .310 .618

May 20 77 64 9 19 1 0 1 3 2 1 9 6 .297 .378 .359 .738

June 14 29 24 2 6 1 0 0 3 0 0 3 4 .250 .321 .292 .613

July 17 56 51 4 12 1 0 0 3 3 2 5 10 .235 .304 .255 .558

August 20 67 61 7 17 2 1 1 4 0 1 3 3 .279 .313 .393 .706

September 1 5 5 1 2 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 .400 .400 .400 .800[/pre]

Matt Pagnozzi

Age 31

Pagnozzi had a sterling defensive reputation as a C winning the best tool award as a defensive C in the Cardinal's system in '06 and '09. He only has 42 MLB games played over parts of 4 seasons in which he posted:

4 Yrs 42 105 92 8 25 2 0 1 13 0 0 5 21 .272 .323 .326 .649 77[/pre]

Pagnozzi at the plate:

2014 31 71 259 228 29 49 5 0 11 29 1 0 20 63 .215 .298 .382 .680

12 Seasons 865 3026 2664 277 583 119 8 43 285 14 10 251 680 .219 .297 .318 .615[/pre]

Pagnozzi in the field:

[pre]Year Age Tm Lg Lev Aff G CG Ch PO A E DP Fld% RF/G PB SB CS CS%

2014 31 Nashville PCL AAA MIL C 68 595 540 52 3 5 .995 8.71 9 56 22 28%

2014 31 Nashville PCL AAA MIL DH 3 0.00

12 Seasons 831 6134 5495 598 41 48 .993 7.33 91 460 252 35%

C (12 seasons) C 819 6117 5482 594 41 46 .993 7.42 91 460 252 35%

P (3 seasons) P 3 2 0 2 0 0 1.000 0.67 0 0

1B (2 seasons) 1B 3 15 13 2 0 2 1.000 5.00

LF (2 seasons) LF 3 0 0 0 0 0 0.00

DH (1 season) DH 3 0.00[/pre]

Pagnozzi's splits:

Total 71 257 227 29 48 5 0 11 29 1 0 19 63 .211 .292 .379 .671

Last 7 days 3 12 10 2 2 0 0 1 2 0 0 1 5 .200 .333 .500 .833

Last 28 days 13 47 40 5 7 1 0 1 5 0 0 4 14 .175 .283 .275 .558

Last 90 days 46 166 147 20 31 2 0 8 21 1 0 13 44 .211 .293 .388 .680

Home 37 129 115 15 23 3 0 4 9 0 0 8 34 .200 .270 .330 .600

Away 34 128 112 14 25 2 0 7 20 1 0 11 29 .223 .315 .429 .744

vs RHP as RHB 63 159 141 23 0 0 4 14 11 42 .163 .244 .248 .492

vs LHP as RHB 42 98 86 25 5 0 7 15 8 21 .291 .371 .593 .964

April 9 30 29 1 2 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 6 .069 .100 .069 .169

May 14 54 45 6 13 3 0 3 6 0 0 4 12 .289 .385 .556 .940

June 16 61 57 10 15 0 0 3 8 1 0 3 14 .263 .311 .421 .733

July 15 50 46 6 8 1 0 4 8 0 0 3 14 .174 .240 .457 .697

August 17 62 50 6 10 1 0 1 6 0 0 8 17 .200 .333 .280 .613[/pre]

Jason Rogers

Age 26

Rogers was one the few first timers on this year's Nashville roster, recently converted to 3B as it's not his natural position. With the logjam in front of him he actually started the season repeating AA but worked his way up to AAA on 6/27 but was still one of this team's more intriguing prospects. He's not all that toolsy but is a decent athlete for his size, he's going to put up solid AB after AB as he competes, he definitely grew on me during his time in WI. I still think he fits best at 1B but playing at least a respectable 3B just increases his future versatility if he isn't able to stick as an everyday type player. It was nice to see him double in his first MLB AB earlier tonight.

Rogers at the plate:

[pre]Year Age Lev G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS

2014 26 AA 77 324 287 42 81 18 2 7 43 5 1 31 56 .282 .355 .432 .787

2014 26 AAA 57 232 206 36 65 11 4 11 39 0 0 22 38 .316 .379 .568 .947

5 Seasons 513 2147 1873 282 537 112 12 61 307 35 8 235 353 .287 .367 .457 .824[/pre]

Rogers in the field:

2014 26 2 Teams 2 Lgs AA-AAA MIL 3B 122 338 80 237 21 21 .938 2.60

2014 26 Huntsville SOUL AA MIL 3B 66 195 45 136 14 16 .928 2.74

2014 26 Huntsville SOUL AA MIL DH 9 0.00

2014 26 Nashville PCL AAA MIL 3B 56 143 35 101 7 5 .951 2.43

5 Seasons 446 2661 2217 399 45 213 .983 5.87

1B (4 seasons) 1B 247 2232 2051 158 23 192 .990 8.94

LF (3 seasons) LF 66 89 84 4 1 0 .989 1.33

3B (2 seasons) 3B 123 338 80 237 21 21 .938 2.58

RF (1 season) RF 1 2 2 0 0 0 1.000 2.00

DH (1 season) DH 9 0.00[/pre]

Rogers' splits:

Total 134 554 491 78 146 29 6 18 82 5 1 53 94 .297 .366 .491 .857

Last 7 days 5 22 20 3 8 2 0 2 5 0 0 2 3 .400 .455 .800 1.255

Last 28 days 23 95 85 16 31 5 2 7 20 0 0 9 16 .365 .432 .718 1.149

Last 90 days 75 301 267 44 84 14 4 13 48 1 0 28 53 .315 .375 .543 .918

Home 67 265 234 36 66 14 2 9 37 3 1 23 46 .282 .351 .474 .825

Away 67 289 257 42 80 15 4 9 45 2 0 30 48 .311 .381 .506 .886

vs RHP as RHB 128 410 365 108 24 4 15 68 39 72 .296 .363 .507 .870

vs LHP as RHB 69 144 126 38 5 2 3 14 14 22 .302 .375 .444 .819

April 25 109 99 13 24 6 1 1 12 2 0 9 18 .242 .303 .354 .656

May 30 126 107 20 33 8 1 3 19 2 1 16 18 .308 .413 .486 .899

June 26 106 95 12 27 5 1 4 17 1 0 7 22 .284 .321 .484 .805

July 24 96 86 14 25 3 1 2 12 0 0 9 18 .291 .354 .419 .773

August 29 117 104 19 37 7 2 8 22 0 0 12 18 .356 .427 .692 1.120[/pre]

Matt Clark

Age 27

Clark might have been the most talked about AAA player in the second half of the season on Brewerfan.net. Playing in the favorable hitting environment of Tucson during his first 2 years of AAA for the Padres he was let go and picked up by the Mets who assigned him to AA Binghamton in 2014. Clark asked for and was granted his release in the middle of the summer at which time the Brewers picked him up and he posted the best numbers of his career. The extended hot streak directly led to a September call-up and his MLB debut last night in which he flied out to CF. He's definitely on the Brewers radar and between he and Jason Rogers may have made Hunter Morris expendable. Here's what BA wrote about him when he was ranked the Padres 29th prospect after 2009:

Clark led NCAA Division I with 28 home runs at Louisiana State in 2008, one year after leading the California junior college ranks with 15 bombs while at Riverside CC. He's the son of Rangers Triple-A pitching coach and former big leaguer Terry Clark. The Padres committed a $150,000 bonus to Clark, a 12th-round pick, and he led the organization with 24 homers and 101 RBIs in his full-season debut in 2009. He hit so well with Fort Wayne that he advanced to high Class A, leapfrogging 2008 first-round pick Allan Dykstra on the organizational depth chart. A physical 6-foot-5, Clark generates natural loft and leverage with his lefthanded stroke, showing consistent plus-plus raw power to all fields. He has enough juice to hit the ball out of any park. He swings and misses too much to hit for anything but a modest average, but he hits the ball where it's pitched and excelled in RBI situations in 2009. He'll take his walks when pitchers work him carefully. Clark played third base as an amateur, but he's not mobile enough to play there in the pro ranks. He's a below-average runner and adequate first baseman. His bat will have to carry him. Clark's power production ought to get him to Triple-A at least, and he could get there at some point this season.

Clark at the plate:

2014 27 AA 67 255 219 32 65 14 0 10 46 0 0 25 45 .297 .380 .498 .878

2014 27 AAA 53 213 195 35 61 9 0 16 37 0 0 15 52 .313 .371 .605 .976

6 Seasons 668 2816 2462 378 703 138 7 128 473 2 2 286 644 .286 .362 .503 .865

AAA (3 seasons) AAA 303 1258 1102 181 325 59 3 61 197 0 2 130 281 .295 .366 .520 .886[/pre]

Clark in the field:

2014 27 Binghamton EL AA NYM 1B 40 280 253 23 4 22 .986 6.90

2014 27 Binghamton EL AA NYM LF 2 6 6 0 0 0 1.000 3.00

2014 27 Binghamton EL AA NYM DH 20 0.00

2014 27 Binghamton EL AA NYM OF 2 6 6 0 0 0 1.000 3.00

2014 27 Nashville PCL AAA MIL 1B 50 407 383 22 2 26 .995 8.10

2014 27 Nashville PCL AAA MIL LF 3 3 3 0 0 0 1.000 1.00

2014 27 Nashville PCL AAA MIL DH 3 0.00

2014 27 Nashville PCL AAA MIL OF 3 3 3 0 0 0 1.000 1.00

6 Seasons 565 4131 3788 295 48 322 .988 7.23

1B (6 seasons) 1B 460 4008 3667 294 47 322 .988 8.61

LF (3 seasons) LF 67 102 100 1 1 0 .990 1.51

OF (1 season) OF 5 9 9 0 0 0 1.000 1.80

DH (1 season) DH 23 0.00

RF (1 season) RF 14 21 21 0 0 0 1.000 1.50

SS (1 season) SS 1 0 0 0 0 0 0.00[/pre]

Clark's splits:

Total 121 467 413 67 126 23 0 26 83 0 0 40 97 .305 .377 .550 .927

Last 7 days 6 21 20 3 6 0 0 3 4 0 0 1 7 .300 .333 .750 1.083

Last 28 days 26 103 95 24 36 5 0 12 23 0 0 7 22 .379 .427 .811 1.238

Last 90 days 69 266 240 41 70 11 0 18 48 0 0 20 62 .292 .357 .563 .920

Home 57 205 182 29 54 10 0 10 30 0 0 14 45 .297 .361 .516 .877

Away 64 262 231 38 72 13 0 16 53 0 0 26 52 .312 .389 .576 .965

vs RHP as LHB 107 315 274 85 16 0 14 53 31 59 .310 .390 .522 .912

vs LHP as LHB 74 152 139 41 7 0 12 30 9 38 .295 .349 .604 .953

April 20 84 72 12 25 5 0 6 18 0 0 10 17 .347 .417 .667 1.083

May 28 101 88 10 26 6 0 2 16 0 0 7 16 .295 .376 .432 .808

June 19 70 59 10 14 3 0 2 12 0 0 8 12 .237 .343 .390 .733

July 23 87 80 11 23 3 0 4 13 0 0 5 22 .288 .345 .475 .820

August 30 124 113 24 38 6 0 12 24 0 0 10 30 .336 .395 .708 1.103

September 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .000 .000 .000 .000[/pre]

Logan Schafer

Age 27

Schafer has struggled with a bench role in Milwaukee as he hasn't been able to consistently put the bat on the ball. He's never had much power so his plus defense and contact skills were going to have to be his ticket. He's certainly held up his end defensively but instead of being the .260ish hitter he should be he's a career .210 hitter at this point. Logan's struggles at the plate directly led to Parra's acquisition at the trade deadline:

2011 24 MIL NL 8 5 3 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 .333 .500 .333 .833 133

2012 25 MIL NL 16 25 23 3 7 1 2 0 5 0 1 1 3 .304 .320 .522 .842 120

2013 26 MIL NL 134 337 298 29 63 15 3 4 33 7 1 25 60 .211 .279 .322 .601 65

2014 27 MIL NL 54 120 105 11 19 9 1 0 6 1 1 11 26 .181 .265 .286 .551 54

4 Yrs 212 487 429 44 90 25 6 4 44 8 3 38 90 .210 .280 .324 .604 66[/pre]

Schafer at the plate:

2011 24 AAA 40 194 169 31 56 13 2 5 23 5 3 17 18 .331 .401 .521 .922

2012 25 AAA 124 513 464 72 129 23 9 11 40 16 7 29 72 .278 .332 .438 .770

2014 27 AAA 41 185 161 27 44 13 4 3 18 4 1 21 33 .273 .355 .460 .815

6 Seasons 444 1939 1732 282 506 105 29 27 189 57 33 149 260 .292 .354 .433 .787

AAA (3 seasons) AAA 205 892 794 130 229 49 15 19 81 25 11 67 123 .288 .352 .460 .812[/pre]

Schafer in the field:

2014 27 Nashville PCL AAA MIL LF 5 4 4 0 0 0 1.000 0.80

2014 27 Nashville PCL AAA MIL CF 39 92 84 5 3 1 .967 2.28

2014 27 Nashville PCL AAA MIL RF 2 2 2 0 0 0 1.000 1.00

2014 27 Nashville PCL AAA MIL OF 41 98 90 5 3 1 .969 2.32

6 Seasons 428 995 939 43 13 12 .987 2.29

CF (6 seasons) CF 396 940 891 37 12 12 .987 2.34

RF (4 seasons) RF 17 26 24 2 0 0 1.000 1.53

LF (4 seasons) LF 19 29 24 4 1 0 .966 1.47

OF (1 season) OF 43 100 92 5 3 1 .970 2.26

3B (1 season) 3B 1 0 0 0 0 0 0.00[/pre]

Schafer's splits:

Total 92 310 270 39 64 23 5 3 25 5 1 33 59 .237 .321 .393 .714

Last 7 days 4 16 13 2 3 0 0 1 4 0 1 3 2 .231 .375 .462 .837

Last 28 days 21 91 80 16 24 7 1 3 11 1 1 9 18 .300 .371 .525 .896

Last 90 days 56 203 179 32 48 14 5 3 17 4 1 22 39 .268 .348 .453 .801

Home 45 144 124 17 32 9 1 2 12 4 0 17 26 .258 .345 .395 .740

Away 47 166 146 22 32 14 4 1 13 1 1 16 33 .219 .301 .390 .691

vs RHP as LHB 83 241 211 47 17 4 3 20 23 45 .223 .301 .384 .685

vs LHP as LHB 34 69 59 17 6 1 0 5 10 14 .288 .391 .424 .815

April 12 38 35 4 8 5 0 0 3 0 0 2 6 .229 .270 .371 .642

May 22 65 53 3 8 4 0 0 5 1 0 8 13 .151 .270 .226 .496

June 17 61 50 9 10 3 2 0 2 2 0 11 11 .200 .344 .340 .684

July 17 41 38 6 10 3 1 0 3 1 0 3 8 .263 .317 .395 .712

August 23 104 93 17 28 8 2 3 12 1 1 9 21 .301 .363 .527 .890

September 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .000 .000 .000 .000[/pre]

Taylor Green

Age 27

Green, the organization's 2 time MiLB player of the year may have played himself out of the organization in 2014. Never a plus defender or toolsy Taylor has occasionally posted monster years at the plate including a .997 OPS in AAA as a 24 year old. That success didn't immediately translate to MLB, nor has his injury history helped him in that regard. This year's AAA campaign was bad enough he was demoted to AA in favor of Jason Rogers. Taylor only played 6 forgettable games before getting injured once again and not making an appearance the rest of the year after 7/3.

Green's MLB career:

[pre]Year Age G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+

2011 24 20 37 37 2 10 3 0 0 1 0 0 0 6 .270 .270 .351 .622 68

2012 25 58 117 103 8 19 7 0 3 14 0 0 10 24 .184 .265 .340 .605 60

2 Yrs 78 154 140 10 29 10 0 3 15 0 0 10 30 .207 .266 .343 .609 62

162 Game Avg. 162 320 291 21 60 21 0 6 31 0 0 21 62 .207 .266 .343 .609 62[/pre]

Green at the plate:

2011 24 AAA 120 487 420 74 141 36 1 22 88 1 0 55 72 .336 .413 .583 .997

2012 25 AAA 77 313 282 24 77 17 0 7 29 1 3 28 57 .273 .345 .408 .753

2014 27 AAA 53 170 155 15 38 9 0 3 18 0 0 8 24 .245 .298 .361 .659

2014 27 AA 6 26 24 1 4 0 0 0 1 0 0 2 3 .167 .231 .167 .397

8 Seasons 751 3041 2647 357 755 168 5 81 450 6 15 316 426 .285 .365 .444 .809

AAA (3 seasons) AAA 250 970 857 113 256 62 1 32 135 2 3 91 153 .299 .371 .485 .856[/pre]

Green in the field:

2014 27 Huntsville SOUL AA MIL 3B 5 10 2 8 0 0 1.000 2.00

2014 27 Huntsville SOUL AA MIL DH 1 0.00

2014 27 Nashville PCL AAA MIL 3B 44 83 19 62 2 3 .976 1.84

2014 27 Nashville PCL AAA MIL DH 2 0.00

8 Seasons 719 2143 667 1368 108 172 .950 2.83

3B (7 seasons) 3B 590 1520 338 1087 95 98 .938 2.42

1B (5 seasons) 1B 27 157 149 6 2 12 .987 5.74

2B (5 seasons) 2B 99 466 180 275 11 62 .976 4.60

DH (1 season) DH 3 0.00[/pre]

Green's splits:

Total 59 196 179 16 42 9 0 3 19 0 0 10 27 .235 .289 .335 .624

Last 7 days 1 4 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 .000 .000 .000 .000

Last 28 days 1 4 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 .000 .000 .000 .000

Last 90 days 12 40 38 2 7 1 0 0 2 0 0 2 5 .184 .225 .211 .436

Home 30 99 91 6 22 4 0 2 12 0 0 6 15 .242 .293 .352 .645

Away 29 97 88 10 20 5 0 1 7 0 0 4 12 .227 .284 .318 .602

vs RHP as LHB 53 140 129 31 4 0 2 12 8 19 .240 .288 .318 .606

vs LHP as LHB 29 56 50 11 5 0 1 7 2 8 .220 .291 .380 .671

April 19 70 59 7 16 1 0 2 7 0 0 5 8 .271 .362 .390 .752

May 25 79 75 7 18 7 0 1 9 0 0 3 14 .240 .269 .373 .643

June 13 39 37 2 7 1 0 0 3 0 0 2 4 .189 .231 .216 .447

July 2 8 8 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 .125 .125 .125 .250[/pre]

Robinzon Diaz

Age 30

For you Star Wars fans out there... "This is the not the Diaz you're looking for". Robinzon made the bigs at age 24 for Toronto and was trade to the Pirates that same season and played 41 games the following year but hasn't been back to the majors since. He didn't do much in a short stint with the Sounds and was ultimately bounced down to Huntsville where he finished the season. Here's the BA scouting report from 2007 when Diaz was the Jay's #13 prospect:

Free of Curtis Thigpen's shadow for the first time since 2004, Diaz thrived in Double-A last year. He had earned postseason all-star honors in the previous four seasons, and he might have done so again in the Eastern League had he not moved up to Triple-A in late July. Both Diaz and Thigpen are athletic receivers and righthanded batters with strong contact skills and good speed for catchers. Diaz is a free swinger with exceptional hand-eye coordination and he rarely strikes out. Though he makes lots of contact, Diaz doesn't drive the ball consistently because of a flat plane to his swing and an inside-out approach. He's also a classic bad-ball hitter who draws few walks. With loose actions and average arm strength, Diaz gets good carry on his throws, and he nailed 32 percent of basestealers in 2007. His game-calling has improved considerably over the past two seasons. Diaz will play every day in Triple-A this season.

Diaz MLB stats:

2008 24 TOR 1 4 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 .000 .000 .000 .000 -100

2008 24 PIT 2 6 6 0 3 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 .500 .500 .500 1.000 169

2009 25 PIT 41 138 129 9 36 7 0 1 19 0 1 3 9 .279 .307 .357 .663 76

2 Yrs 44 148 139 9 39 7 0 1 20 1 1 3 11 .281 .306 .353 .659 75

162 Game Avg. 162 545 512 33 144 26 0 4 74 4 4 11 41 .281 .306 .353 .659 75[/pre]

Diaz at the plate:

2014 30 AAA 38 148 142 14 33 6 0 3 13 0 0 4 15 .232 .253 .338 .591

2014 30 AA 45 160 150 12 44 7 0 0 10 1 0 7 15 .293 .319 .340 .659

13 Seasons 994 3868 3616 461 1068 189 19 40 441 41 24 163 276 .295 .329 .391 .720

Rk (3 seasons) Rk 121 455 418 71 142 32 2 3 74 8 8 25 37 .340 .380 .447 .828

A (1 season) A 105 449 407 62 117 20 2 2 42 10 4 27 31 .287 .341 .361 .702

A+ (4 seasons) A+ 220 914 856 112 253 39 7 5 113 13 3 36 69 .296 .327 .375 .702

AA (4 seasons) AA 194 720 681 68 207 37 2 9 70 7 1 26 49 .304 .332 .404 .736

AAA (8 seasons) AAA 354 1330 1254 148 349 61 6 21 142 3 8 49 90 .278 .305 .387 .692[/pre]

Diaz in the field:

2014 30 Huntsville SOUL AA MIL C 24 135 122 11 2 1 .985 5.54 0 11 3 21%

2014 30 Huntsville SOUL AA MIL 3B 14 36 5 27 4 1 .889 2.29

2014 30 Huntsville SOUL AA MIL LF 2 1 0 0 1 0 .000 0.00

2014 30 Huntsville SOUL AA MIL DH 5 0.00

2014 30 Huntsville SOUL AA MIL OF 2 1 0 0 1 0 .000 0.00

2014 30 Nashville PCL AAA MIL C 38 382 353 29 0 1 1.000 10.05 3 32 15 32%

13 Seasons 799 5819 5096 605 118 54 .980 7.14 112 465 204 30%

C (13 seasons) C 727 5637 5031 514 92 47 .984 7.63 112 465 204 30%

3B (8 seasons) 3B 56 140 28 89 23 6 .836 2.09

1B (3 seasons) 1B 6 39 36 1 2 1 .949 6.17

LF (2 seasons) LF 3 2 1 0 1 0 .500 0.33

2B (1 season) 2B 1 1 0 1 0 0 1.000 1.00

OF (1 season) OF 2 1 0 0 1 0 .000 0.00

RF (1 season) RF 1 0 0 0 0 0 0.00

DH (1 season) DH 5 0.00[/pre]

Diaz' Splits:

Total 82 308 292 26 77 13 0 3 23 1 0 11 30 .264 .288 .339 .627

Last 7 days 3 10 10 1 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 .200 .200 .200 .400

Last 28 days 17 65 61 5 17 1 0 0 0 0 0 4 4 .279 .323 .295 .618

Last 90 days 54 196 184 13 51 8 0 0 13 1 0 8 18 .277 .303 .321 .623

Home 45 163 155 12 45 8 0 1 14 0 0 5 15 .290 .307 .361 .668

Away 37 145 137 14 32 5 0 2 9 1 0 6 15 .234 .266 .314 .580

vs RHP as RHB 75 220 209 48 4 0 3 16 7 19 .230 .252 .292 .544

vs LHP as RHB 45 88 83 29 9 0 0 7 4 11 .349 .375 .458 .833

April 15 61 60 7 13 3 0 1 5 0 0 1 6 .217 .230 .317 .546

May 11 43 40 5 10 1 0 2 5 0 0 2 6 .250 .286 .425 .711

June 12 44 42 2 10 2 0 0 3 0 0 1 3 .238 .256 .286 .542

July 23 82 77 7 25 6 0 0 9 1 0 3 10 .325 .341 .403 .744

August 20 75 70 5 19 1 0 0 1 0 0 4 4 .271 .307 .286 .592

September 1 3 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 .000 .000 .000 .000[/pre]

Elian Herrera

Age 29

Herrera is another MLB veteran with positional flexibility as with most of the veterans on this 2014 Nashville club. Herrera was never a top 30 prospect during his time with the Dodgers and he's not a guy I'm extremely excited about, his best asset is his extreme versatility in the field. As most know he has limited MLB experience bouncing all year between the Sounds and Brewers:

2012 27 LAD 67 214 187 26 47 10 1 1 17 4 2 23 50 .251 .340 .332 .671 87

2013 28 LAD 4 8 8 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 .250 .250 .250 .500 42

2014 29 MIL 56 132 127 13 36 7 1 0 4 3 1 3 33 .283 .298 .354 .652 81

3 Yrs 127 354 322 39 85 17 2 1 21 7 3 26 85 .264 .322 .339 .660 84

162 Game Avg. 162 452 411 50 108 22 3 1 27 9 4 33 108 .264 .322 .339 .660 84[/pre]

Herrera at the plate:

2014 29 AAA 33 124 115 21 35 9 2 0 9 5 1 8 19 .304 .350 .417 .767

9 Seasons 698 2817 2437 412 696 118 33 26 288 154 49 287 542 .286 .364 .393 .758

Rk (3 seasons) Rk 119 493 415 75 124 26 4 7 71 10 6 60 88 .299 .393 .431 .824

A (2 seasons) A 22 82 76 9 16 2 0 0 5 4 3 2 19 .211 .256 .237 .493

A+ (3 seasons) A+ 114 472 425 67 120 20 5 4 39 43 7 37 110 .282 .342 .381 .723

AA (2 seasons) AA 213 814 677 113 182 28 10 5 73 64 21 105 174 .269 .367 .362 .729

AAA (4 seasons) AAA 230 956 844 148 254 42 14 10 100 33 12 83 151 .301 .368 .419 .788[/pre]

Herrera in the field:

2014 29 Nashville PCL AAA MIL 2B 12 48 19 27 2 10 .958 3.83

2014 29 Nashville PCL AAA MIL 3B 6 12 3 9 0 0 1.000 2.00

2014 29 Nashville PCL AAA MIL LF 4 1 1 0 0 0 1.000 0.25

2014 29 Nashville PCL AAA MIL CF 15 21 20 1 0 0 1.000 1.40

2014 29 Nashville PCL AAA MIL RF 1 0 0 0 0 0 0.00

2014 29 Nashville PCL AAA MIL DH 1 0.00

2014 29 Nashville PCL AAA MIL OF 17 22 21 1 0 0 1.000 1.29

9 Seasons 728 2197 1042 1069 86 228 .961 2.90

2B (9 seasons) 2B 326 1363 527 787 49 175 .964 4.03

CF (7 seasons) CF 107 181 168 10 3 2 .983 1.66

LF (9 seasons) LF 124 167 153 11 3 1 .982 1.32

RF (7 seasons) RF 18 17 17 0 0 0 1.000 0.94

3B (6 seasons) 3B 86 182 59 113 10 4 .945 2.00

SS (5 seasons) SS 67 281 112 148 21 46 .925 3.88

1B (1 season) 1B 1 6 6 0 0 0 1.000 6.00

P (1 season) P 1 0 0 0 0 0 0.00

OF (1 season) OF 17 22 21 1 0 0 1.000 1.29

Herrera's splits:

Total 84 256 242 34 71 16 3 0 13 8 2 11 52 .293 .323 .384 .707

Last 7 days 2 5 5 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 .400 .400 .400 .800

Last 28 days 10 29 29 3 8 2 1 0 2 0 0 0 8 .276 .276 .414 .690

Last 90 days 38 115 108 15 31 6 1 0 7 4 0 6 19 .287 .322 .361 .683

Home 35 96 93 14 22 6 1 0 3 2 1 3 16 .237 .260 .323 .583

Away 49 160 149 20 49 10 2 0 10 6 1 8 36 .329 .361 .423 .784

vs RHP as LHB 69 175 164 49 9 2 0 11 9 32 .299 .333 .378 .711

vs LHP as RHB 40 81 78 22 7 1 0 2 2 20 .282 .300 .397 .697

April 20 72 67 6 16 3 2 0 2 2 1 3 12 .239 .271 .343 .615

May 24 64 63 13 24 7 0 0 4 2 1 1 19 .381 .391 .492 .883

June 17 51 46 4 11 2 0 0 3 1 0 4 8 .239 .294 .283 .577

July 10 29 28 6 8 2 0 0 2 2 0 1 5 .286 .310 .357 .667

August 12 38 36 5 12 2 1 0 2 1 0 2 7 .333 .368 .444 .813

September 1 2 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 .000 .000 .000 .000[/pre]

Jeff Bianchi

Age 27

Most here will be extremely familiar with Bianchi's career path but for consistency sake here's his MLB career:

[pre]Year Age G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+

2012 25 33 76 69 8 13 2 0 3 9 0 0 4 13 .188 .230 .348 .578 51

2013 26 100 252 236 22 56 8 1 1 25 4 4 11 46 .237 .272 .292 .564 56

2014 27 29 74 70 4 12 1 0 0 6 0 0 3 17 .171 .203 .186 .388 10

3 Yrs 162 402 375 34 81 11 1 4 40 4 4 18 76 .216 .251 .283 .534 47[/pre]

Bianchi's MiLB recent history at the plate:

2012 25 AAA 73 278 249 33 79 13 1 5 19 11 5 22 48 .317 .374 .438 .811

2013 26 AA 5 16 15 0 4 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 2 .267 .313 .267 .579

2013 26 AAA 10 43 41 6 10 1 1 1 6 0 0 2 8 .244 .279 .390 .669

2014 27 AAA 24 105 98 11 27 5 0 3 12 2 0 6 19 .276 .314 .418 .733

9 Seasons 621 2578 2318 340 663 139 16 40 295 92 29 185 470 .286 .339 .412 .751

AAA (3 seasons) AAA 107 426 388 50 116 19 2 9 37 13 5 30 75 .299 .349 .428 .777[/pre]

Bianchi in the field:

2014 27 Nashville PCL AAA MIL 2B 8 35 12 23 0 3 1.000 4.38

2014 27 Nashville PCL AAA MIL 3B 7 8 3 3 2 1 .750 0.86

2014 27 Nashville PCL AAA MIL SS 9 39 18 20 1 2 .974 4.22

9 Seasons 558 2534 867 1604 63 382 .975 4.43

SS (9 seasons) SS 389 1801 577 1170 54 276 .970 4.49

2B (6 seasons) 2B 157 719 285 428 6 105 .992 4.54

3B (2 seasons) 3B 11 14 5 6 3 1 .786 1.00

LF (1 season) LF 1 0 0 0 0 0 0.00[/pre]

Bianchi's splits:

Total 52 179 168 15 39 6 0 3 18 2 0 9 36 .232 .268 .321 .590

Last 7 days 1 3 3 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 .333 .333 .667 1.000

Last 28 days 1 3 3 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 .333 .333 .667 1.000

Last 90 days 26 96 89 9 22 3 0 2 10 1 0 6 16 .247 .292 .348 .640

Home 29 92 88 8 23 4 0 2 12 1 0 3 17 .261 .283 .375 .658

Away 23 87 80 7 16 2 0 1 6 1 0 6 19 .200 .253 .263 .515

vs RHP as RHB 43 126 117 26 4 0 2 9 9 24 .222 .278 .308 .585

vs LHP as RHB 26 53 51 13 2 0 1 9 0 12 .255 .245 .353 .598

April 12 40 38 2 7 0 0 0 3 0 0 2 7 .184 .225 .184 .409

May 11 30 29 2 5 1 0 1 4 0 0 0 11 .172 .167 .310 .477

June 22 97 90 9 23 4 0 2 9 2 0 6 17 .256 .299 .367 .666

July 7 12 11 2 4 1 0 0 2 0 0 1 1 .364 .417 .455 .871[/pre]

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

2014 Nashville Sounds Season Review & Summary Part 2

Shawn Zarraga

Age 25

Zarraga exploded back onto the scene in 2014 with a monster start to the season at AA but success with the bat didn't follow him to Nashville. He was drafted for raw power potential which has never really materialized. His defense has apparently been an issue for most of his career and unfortunately he's never been a good enough prospect to get written about by prospect evaluators, nor I wasn't there for any of the 21 games he caught when he was in Wisconsin so I don't have any first hand observations to offer. The surge in his numbers was attributed to rededicating himself to the sport over the most recent off-season but he did fade down the stretch. If he's back for 2014 he'd most likely be the "prospect" catcher in AAA.

Zarraga at the plate:

2014 25 AAA 17 57 47 1 10 2 0 0 7 0 0 5 7 .213 .304 .255 .559

2014 25 AA 75 267 215 34 71 16 0 1 30 1 4 42 23 .330 .440 .419 .858

7 Seasons 425 1489 1260 147 357 66 3 13 167 20 9 161 216 .283 .376 .371 .747[/pre]

Zarraga in the field:

2014 25 Huntsville SOUL AA MIL C 51 346 305 38 3 4 .991 6.73 1 22 12 35%

2014 25 Huntsville SOUL AA MIL 1B 3 11 11 0 0 0 1.000 3.67

2014 25 Huntsville SOUL AA MIL DH 14 0.00

2014 25 Nashville PCL AAA MIL C 16 138 128 10 0 1 1.000 8.63 1 9 4 31%

7 Seasons 318 2302 2066 216 20 19 .991 7.18 29 215 74 26%

C (7 seasons) C 296 2257 2022 215 20 18 .991 7.56 29 215 74 26%

1B (2 seasons) 1B 7 45 44 1 0 1 1.000 6.43

P (1 season) P 1 0 0 0 0 0 0.00 0 0

DH (1 season) DH 14 0.00[/pre]

Zarraga's splits:

Total 91 324 262 35 81 18 0 1 37 1 2 47 30 .309 .416 .389 .805

Last 7 days 2 7 5 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 .000 .286 .000 .286

Last 28 days 17 68 57 4 11 1 0 0 2 1 0 10 11 .193 .324 .211 .534

Last 90 days 47 164 137 12 38 9 0 1 19 1 1 20 20 .277 .374 .365 .739

Home 44 151 127 20 44 12 0 1 19 0 2 17 9 .346 .423 .465 .887

Away 47 173 135 15 37 6 0 0 18 1 0 30 21 .274 .410 .319 .729

vs RHP as LHB 84 258 207 63 15 0 1 28 39 25 .304 .420 .391 .812

vs LHP as RHB 41 66 55 18 3 0 0 9 8 5 .327 .400 .382 .782

April 17 57 45 6 22 3 0 0 10 0 1 10 3 .489 .561 .556 1.117

May 23 87 68 14 18 4 0 0 7 0 0 13 7 .265 .395 .324 .719

June 18 59 49 10 21 8 0 1 11 0 1 9 2 .429 .508 .653 1.162

July 14 47 39 1 9 2 0 0 7 0 0 3 6 .231 .304 .282 .586

August 19 74 61 4 11 1 0 0 2 1 0 12 12 .180 .324 .197 .521[/pre]

Hainley Statia

Age 28

Statia bounced back and forth between Huntsville and Nashville all season. Now 28 years old he's yet to get his cup of coffee, he's another of the veteran super utility guys, the prototypical "organizational soldier".

Statia at the plate:

2014 28 AAA 23 45 42 3 11 3 0 0 3 1 0 3 10 .262 .311 .333 .644

2014 28 AA 60 224 180 29 50 8 1 5 26 5 5 39 21 .278 .410 .417 .827

10 Seasons 962 3726 3273 451 886 169 26 21 368 117 60 364 431 .271 .345 .357 .703

AAA (5 seasons) AAA 219 649 564 65 142 22 1 5 56 9 6 80 98 .252 .344 .321 .665[/pre]

Statia in the field:

2014 28 Huntsville SOUL AA MIL 1B 2 9 9 0 0 1 1.000 4.50

2014 28 Huntsville SOUL AA MIL 2B 17 74 25 47 2 7 .973 4.24

2014 28 Huntsville SOUL AA MIL 3B 30 78 16 62 0 7 1.000 2.60

2014 28 Huntsville SOUL AA MIL SS 6 19 8 11 0 4 1.000 3.17

2014 28 Huntsville SOUL AA MIL LF 4 1 1 0 0 0 1.000 0.25

2014 28 Huntsville SOUL AA MIL OF 4 1 1 0 0 0 1.000 0.25

2014 28 Nashville PCL AAA MIL 2B 10 28 14 13 1 3 .964 2.70

2014 28 Nashville PCL AAA MIL 3B 1 2 0 2 0 0 1.000 2.00

2014 28 Nashville PCL AAA MIL SS 1 2 1 1 0 1 1.000 2.00

2014 28 Nashville PCL AAA MIL DH 1 0.00

10 Seasons 893 3954 1365 2471 118 486 .970 4.30

SS (10 seasons) SS 629 3076 1022 1951 103 390 .967 4.73

2B (8 seasons) 2B 140 610 239 363 8 77 .987 4.30

3B (4 seasons) 3B 85 203 42 155 6 18 .970 2.32

LF (3 seasons) LF 29 41 39 1 1 0 .976 1.38

1B (1 season) 1B 2 9 9 0 0 1 1.000 4.50

OF (1 season) OF 4 1 1 0 0 0 1.000 0.25

RF (1 season) RF 7 15 14 1 0 0 1.000 2.14

Statia's splits:

Total 82 269 222 32 61 11 1 5 29 6 3 42 31 .275 .393 .401 .794

Last 7 days 3 11 11 2 6 0 0 1 2 0 0 0 1 .545 .545 .818 1.364

Last 28 days 14 57 47 5 13 1 0 1 4 2 2 10 4 .277 .404 .362 .765

Last 90 days 53 195 158 24 42 6 1 5 24 4 3 33 19 .266 .394 .411 .805

Home 44 138 117 15 31 7 0 2 14 3 1 18 22 .265 .360 .376 .736

Away 38 131 105 17 30 4 1 3 15 3 2 24 9 .286 .427 .429 .856

vs RHP as LHB 72 191 158 43 8 1 4 20 30 19 .272 .393 .411 .804

vs LHP as RHB 51 78 64 18 3 0 1 9 12 12 .281 .395 .375 .770

April 15 45 38 6 10 2 0 0 2 1 0 6 7 .263 .378 .316 .694

May 12 21 18 2 7 3 0 0 3 1 0 3 2 .389 .476 .556 1.032

June 16 60 51 9 14 2 1 1 8 1 0 7 7 .275 .373 .412 .785

July 20 68 52 9 13 1 0 3 10 1 1 15 7 .250 .418 .442 .860

August 18 71 59 5 15 3 0 0 5 2 2 11 7 .254 .366 .305 .671

September 1 4 4 1 2 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 1 .500 .500 1.250 1.750[/pre]

Adam Weisenburger

Age 25

Weisenburger vaulted past WI and went straight from the AZL Brewers in 2011 to BC and then Huntsville in 2012. He's struggled offensively at the higher levels of minors but following the 2012 season BA rated him as the best defensive C in the Brewers' system, granted he didn't have much competition for that title given what I've seen come through WI but he has a solid defensive reputation none the less. Catchers don't have to hit much so if he's good enough defensively he could possibly carve out a niche as a MLB reserve someplace. Adam spent most of the season with the Stars but was promoted up to the Sounds starting on 8/8.

Weisenburger at the plate:

2011 22 Rk 33 137 116 13 32 6 2 0 7 2 1 18 17 .276 .382 .362 .744

2012 23 AA-A+ 70 251 212 22 45 5 1 2 19 1 2 27 49 .212 .321 .274 .595

2012 23 A+ 23 87 73 8 19 2 1 0 6 1 1 11 13 .260 .372 .315 .687

2012 23 AA 47 164 139 14 26 3 0 2 13 0 1 16 36 .187 .294 .252 .546

2013 24 AA 63 213 175 21 44 8 1 5 24 0 2 24 48 .251 .367 .394 .761

2014 25 AA-AAA 81 293 239 29 61 12 1 3 27 1 1 36 44 .255 .364 .351 .715

2014 25 AA 68 249 201 24 52 10 1 2 23 1 1 32 34 .259 .371 .348 .719

2014 25 AAA 13 44 38 5 9 2 0 1 4 0 0 4 10 .237 .326 .368 .694

4 Seasons 247 894 742 85 182 31 5 10 77 4 6 105 158 .245 .355 .341 .696

Rk (1 season) Rk 33 137 116 13 32 6 2 0 7 2 1 18 17 .276 .382 .362 .744

A+ (1 season) A+ 23 87 73 8 19 2 1 0 6 1 1 11 13 .260 .372 .315 .687

AA (3 seasons) AA 178 626 515 59 122 21 2 9 60 1 4 72 118 .237 .349 .338 .687

AAA (1 season) AAA 13 44 38 5 9 2 0 1 4 0 0 4 10 .237 .326 .368 .694[/pre]

Weisenburger in the field:

2014 25 Huntsville SOUL AA MIL C 63 488 445 35 8 5 .984 7.62 7 29 19 40%

2014 25 Nashville PCL AAA MIL C 13 123 113 8 2 1 .984 9.31 1 12 7 37%

4 Seasons 229 1749 1549 167 33 21 .981 7.49 28 165 65 28%[/pre]

Weisenburger's splits:

Total 81 293 239 29 61 12 1 3 27 1 1 36 44 .255 .364 .351 .715

Last 7 days 3 9 8 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 3 .125 .222 .125 .347

Last 28 days 13 44 38 5 9 2 0 1 4 0 0 4 10 .237 .326 .368 .694

Last 90 days 42 143 120 14 28 3 0 3 11 0 1 13 22 .233 .326 .333 .659

Home 43 139 111 13 27 4 0 3 13 0 1 18 17 .243 .364 .360 .724

Away 38 154 128 16 34 8 1 0 14 1 0 18 27 .266 .364 .344 .708

vs RHP as RHB 74 220 181 42 7 1 3 17 26 37 .232 .338 .331 .670

vs LHP as RHB 39 73 58 19 5 0 0 10 10 7 .328 .443 .414 .857

April 17 63 50 5 12 4 0 0 3 0 0 10 7 .240 .367 .320 .687

May 20 79 61 10 17 5 1 0 12 1 0 13 13 .279 .416 .393 .809

June 8 25 23 2 6 0 0 0 2 0 0 1 7 .261 .320 .261 .581

July 19 67 56 6 14 1 0 1 4 0 1 7 6 .250 .328 .321 .650

August 17 59 49 6 12 2 0 2 6 0 0 5 11 .245 .351 .408 .759[/pre]

Lucas May

Age 29

May had his 12 game cup of coffee with Royals in 2010. He's had some okay years at the plate but overall is a below average hitter like most catchers. The Brewers are his 6th organization, he doesn't seem to have a defining trait as his calling card, as such he didn't see much action being on the "taxi squad DL" most of the season between AA and AAA. At one point he was the Dodger's #17 prospect, here's what BA wrote after the 2009 season:

The Dodgers have an affinity for converting players to catchers, with Russell Martin and since-traded Carlos Santana among their recent success stories. Another of their projects is May, who moved from shortstop to outfielder in mid-2005 before shifting to catcher during instructional league in 2006. May's development was slowed last season when he broke a wrist in mid-May and missed six weeks, though he showed few ill effects of the injury when he returned. He starred for gold-medal champion Team USA at the World Cup in September, hitting .355 in eight starts and driving in four runs in the clincher against Cuba. May has some power and can turn on the best of fastballs, but he struggles with breaking and offspeed pitches, particularly on the outer half of the plate. He did a better job of controlling the strike zone last year than he had in the past. He's a tick above-average as a runner, a tool that sets him apart from most catchers. May has improved in his three seasons behind the plate and has the tools to possibly become a plus defender, but he's still a work in progress. He has an above-average arm and threw out a career-best 35 percent of basestealers in 2009. He's still inconsistent with his receiving, with 75 passed balls in 239 games behind the plate, and doesn't frame pitches well. He's learning the nuances of calling a game and guiding his pitchers through jams. Ticketed for Triple-A in 2010, he could make his major league debut later in the year.

May in MLB:

2010 25 KCR 12 39 37 3 7 1 0 0 6 0 1 0 10 .189 .205 .216 .421 16

1 Yr 12 39 37 3 7 1 0 0 6 0 1 0 10 .189 .205 .216 .421 16

162 Game Avg. 162 527 500 41 95 14 0 0 81 0 14 0 135 .189 .205 .216 .421 16[/pre]

May at the plate:

2014 29 AA 9 30 28 4 6 1 0 1 4 0 0 1 2 .214 .241 .357 .599

2014 29 AAA 15 40 35 1 7 3 0 0 4 1 0 3 10 .200 .250 .286 .536

12 Seasons 940 3772 3403 484 860 186 26 109 507 58 22 271 853 .253 .314 .419 .732

AAA (5 seasons) AAA 321 1188 1076 145 265 60 8 32 152 10 5 91 270 .246 .307 .406 .713[/pre]

May in the field:

2014 29 Huntsville SOUL AA MIL C 7 49 44 3 2 0 .959 6.71 1 11 1 8%

2014 29 Nashville PCL AAA MIL C 12 103 96 7 0 1 1.000 8.58 0 7 2 22%

12 Seasons 821 5114 4286 705 123 116 .976 6.08 117 338 125 27%

C (8 seasons) C 548 4192 3823 321 48 29 .989 7.56 117 338 125 27%

1B (2 seasons) 1B 8 59 55 2 2 7 .966 7.13

SS (3 seasons) SS 126 627 198 367 62 77 .901 4.48

P (1 season) P 1 0 0 0 0 0 0.00 0 0

CF (2 seasons) CF 27 59 56 1 2 0 .966 2.11

LF (2 seasons) LF 74 112 96 10 6 2 .946 1.43

3B (1 season) 3B 1 1 0 1 0 0 1.000 1.00

RF (1 season) RF 36 64 58 3 3 1 .953 1.69[/pre]

May's splits:

Total 24 70 63 5 13 4 0 1 8 1 0 4 12 .206 .246 .317 .564

Last 7 days 1 4 3 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 .000 .000 .000 .000

Last 28 days 4 7 6 0 2 0 0 0 3 1 0 0 2 .333 .286 .333 .619

Last 90 days 13 36 33 5 8 1 0 1 7 1 0 1 4 .242 .257 .364 .621

Home 13 33 29 3 8 2 0 1 4 1 0 3 6 .276 .344 .448 .792

Away 11 37 34 2 5 2 0 0 4 0 0 1 6 .147 .162 .206 .368

vs RHP as RHB 19 45 42 7 1 0 1 4 2 7 .167 .205 .262 .466

vs LHP as RHB 10 25 21 6 3 0 0 4 2 5 .286 .320 .429 .749

April 4 7 7 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 .000 .000 .000 .000

May 7 27 23 0 5 3 0 0 1 0 0 3 6 .217 .296 .348 .644

June 6 21 19 3 5 1 0 1 4 0 0 1 2 .263 .300 .474 .774

July 3 8 8 2 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .125 .125 .125 .250

August 3 3 3 0 2 0 0 0 2 1 0 0 1 .667 .667 .667 1.333

September 1 4 3 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 .000 .000 .000 .000[/pre]

Pitchers

(In order of total MILB IP.)

Ariel Pena

Age 25

Pena might be the most frustrating pitcher in the system as he has a legitimate FB and slider but isn't able to repeat his delivery enough to be able to consistently throw strikes. Even at his best he hasn't been efficient enough with his pitches to go more than 6 innings, his BB rate and SO/BB are not what I would expect from a legitimate starting pitcher. Long term I like him for a bullpen role though I was holding out some hope that he would find his groove as a starter. Ariel is also out of options for 2015 so he'll have to make the big club or clear waivers. Pena was recently removed from the AFL which brings up questions about his health and or status with the organization. BA's take on Pena pretty much sums up my thoughts exactly:

The Brewers have a lot of hard-throwers in their system who have command issues and Pena is one of them. Acquired with shortstop Jean Segura and righthander Johnny Hellweg from the Angels in the Zack Greinke trade in late-July 2012, Pena has the ability to throw the ball by hitters. He throws his sinker in the 92-94 mph range and can reach 98 with his four-seamer. He also throws a hard, late-breaking slider at 82-86 mph, but he overthrows his changeup at times and that has not been an overly effective pitch for him. Much like Hellweg, Pena gets himself in trouble by not throwing strikes, resulting in a walk rate of 5.0 per nine innings at Double-A Huntsville in 2013. He struggles at times with his mechanics and long arm action, and loses his release point, but he can escape trouble via strikeout, as attested by his 8.3 strikeouts per nine innings. The Brewers have used Pena strictly as a starter to allow him to work on his command and accumulate innings, but if he doesn't harness his control soon, he'll move to the bullpen. He could be dominant in that role with his fastball-heavy approach. Pena likely will move to Triple-A Nashville in 2014, where he may move to the bullpen if he stumbles.

Pena in MiLB:

[pre]Year Age Lev Aff ERA G GS IP H R HR BB SO WHIP H9 HR9 BB9 SO9 SO/W

2012 23 AA MIL 7.24 7 7 32.1 40 26 5 23 29 1.948 11.1 1.4 6.4 8.1 1.26

2012 23 AA LAA 2.99 19 19 114.1 95 43 14 42 111 1.198 7.5 1.1 3.3 8.7 2.64

2013 24 AA MIL 3.73 27 27 142.1 115 63 17 79 131 1.363 7.3 1.1 5.0 8.3 1.66

2014 25 AAA MIL 4.56 25 24 128.1 96 69 12 75 140 1.332 6.7 0.8 5.3 9.8 1.87

8 Seasons 3.73 170 161 912.0 791 439 68 450 901 1.361 7.8 0.7 4.4 8.9 2.00

AA (2 seasons) AA 3.83 53 53 289.0 250 132 36 144 271 1.363 7.8 1.1 4.5 8.4 1.88

AAA (2 seasons) AAA 4.49 26 25 132.1 103 72 12 79 143 1.375 7.0 0.8 5.4 9.7 1.81[/pre]

Pena's splits:

[pre]Split ERA G GS SV IP H R ER HR BB IBB SO HBP BK WP BF WHIP SO9 SO/W

Total 4.56 25 24 0 128.1 96 69 65 12 75 0 140 5 0 0 548 1.332 9.8 1.87

Last 7 days 40.50 1 1 0 1.1 3 6 6 2 3 0 4 0 0 0 10 4.500 27.0 1.33

Last 28 days 6.00 3 3 0 12.0 10 8 8 3 9 0 17 0 0 0 53 1.583 12.8 1.89

Last 90 days 4.58 14 14 0 72.2 54 38 37 5 41 0 86 2 0 0 309 1.307 10.7 2.10

Home 4.56 15 15 0 75.0 57 41 38 9 46 0 90 3 0 0 325 1.373 10.8 1.96

Away 4.56 10 9 0 53.1 39 28 27 3 29 0 50 2 0 0 223 1.275 8.4 1.72

April 5.29 4 4 0 17.0 14 12 10 1 12 0 21 1 0 0 78 1.529 11.1 1.75

May 3.38 6 5 0 34.2 25 13 13 5 16 0 33 2 0 0 141 1.183 8.6 2.06

June 6.35 5 5 0 22.2 16 17 16 2 20 0 19 1 0 0 104 1.588 7.5 0.95

July 3.60 6 6 0 35.0 24 15 14 1 15 0 43 1 0 0 142 1.114 11.1 2.87

August 5.68 4 4 0 19.0 17 12 12 3 12 0 24 0 0 0 83 1.526 11.4 2.00

As Starter 4.67 24 24 0 123.1 94 68 64 11 73 0 135 4 0 0 529 1.354 9.9 1.85

As Reliever 1.80 1 0 0 5.0 2 1 1 1 2 0 5 1 0 0 19 0.800 9.0 2.50[/pre]

Jimmy Nelson

Age 25

Nelson is the Brewer's first pitching prospect with legit stuff to reach majors as a starting pitcher since Manny Parra who as we all know just couldn't make it work. Jimmy still has work to do with his location and 3rd pitch but he's a pretty safe bet to be a middle of the road MLB starter. With better control and a plus 3rd pitch he could be a #2 but I think that's a pretty steep hill for him to climb at this point. Regardless he should be in Milwaukee to stay. As BA had him as the Brewer's #1 prospect they've written about him a ton but it's hard to find fault with this snippet from their most recent assessment of him:

Nelson can overpower hitters at times with a fastball that sits at 92-94 mph but also reaches 96 when he needs it. He is very aggressive, going after hitters with hard stuff that also includes an effective two-seamer in the low 90s with good sink and movement that he uses to induce groundouts. Nelson also can be very tough on righthanded hitters with his three-quarters arm slot and power slider, which has a sharp break and registers in the 84-86 mph range. He continues to work on a changeup that is improving and will be key to remaining a starter going forward. Nelson has a great build for a pitcher, maintaining the quality of his stuff deep into games. When he is throwing strikes he mows through lineups, but on other days Nelson fights his delivery and walks hitters, creating doubt about his future role.

Nelson's MLB career:

[pre]Year Age ERA G GS IP H R ER HR BB SO HBP WP ERA+ FIP WHIP H9 HR9 BB9 SO9 SO/W

2013 24 0.90 4 1 10.0 2 1 1 0 5 8 0 1 441 2.95 0.700 1.8 0.0 4.5 7.2 1.60

2014 25 4.14 10 10 58.2 65 31 27 5 16 49 8 2 90 3.79 1.381 10.0 0.8 2.5 7.5 3.06

2 Yrs 3.67 14 11 68.2 67 32 28 5 21 57 8 3 103 3.67 1.282 8.8 0.7 2.8 7.5 2.71

162 Game Avg. 3.67 38 30 187 182 87 76 14 57 155 22 8 103 3.67 1.282 8.8 0.7 2.8 7.5 2.71[/pre]

Nelson's 2014 splits page.

Michael Blazek

Age 25

Blazek had his cup of coffee in 2013 with both the Cardinals and Brewers. He started slow this season but picked it up when he moved into the rotation. Despite his success as a starter this season if he can settle in command wise a BP role seems like Milwaukee's best bet. Here's what BA wrote about Blazek after last season:

He throws his fastball in the 94-97 mph range but sometimes fights his mechanics and has command issues. He'll mix in a curve in the mid-70s, a slider in the mid-80s and a changeup, all pitches that he relies on less in the bullpen than he did as a starter. When he gets his breaking stuff over, however, hitters have more to worry about. Assuming Blazek can throw enough strikes, the Brewers see him as a seventh-inning pitcher, perhaps a set-up man, at the big league level, with an ability to climb the ladder with his fastball.

Blazek in MLB:

[pre]Year Age Tm ERA G GF IP H R HR BB ERA+ FIP WHIP H9 HR9 BB9 SO9 SO/W

2013 24 TOT 5.71 18 7 17.1 16 12 3 13 69 6.11 1.673 8.3 1.6 6.8 7.3 1.08

2013 24 STL 6.97 11 3 10.1 10 8 2 10 56 6.82 1.935 8.7 1.7 8.7 8.7 1.00

2013 24 MIL 3.86 7 4 7.0 6 4 1 3 105 5.05 1.286 7.7 1.3 3.9 5.1 1.33

1 Yr 5.71 18 7 17.1 16 12 3 13 69 6.11 1.673 8.3 1.6 6.8 7.3 1.08[/pre]

Blazek in MiLB:

[pre]Year Age Lev Aff W-L% ERA G GS IP H R ER HR BB IBB SO WHIP H9 HR9 BB9 SO9 SO/W

2013 24 AA STL 0.92 17 0 19.2 11 4 2 0 10 1 25 1.068 5.0 0.0 4.6 11.4 2.50

2013 24 AAA STL .333 2.77 19 0 26.0 17 8 8 1 16 0 27 1.269 5.9 0.3 5.5 9.3 1.69

2014 25 AAA MIL .500 4.13 37 17 102.1 106 51 47 9 40 0 87 1.427 9.3 0.8 3.5 7.7 2.18

8 Seasons .481 4.13 212 87 629.1 599 337 289 61 264 5 614 1.371 8.6 0.9 3.8 8.8 2.33

AAA (4 seasons) AAA .500 4.01 60 20 143.2 137 68 64 12 67 0 121 1.420 8.6 0.8 4.2 7.6 1.81[/pre]

Blazek's splits:

Total 4.13 37 17 1 102.1 106 51 47 9 40 0 87 3 0 0 445 1.427 7.7 2.18

Last 7 days 5.79 1 1 0 4.2 7 3 3 1 3 0 6 0 0 0 23 2.143 11.6 2.00

Last 28 days 4.94 5 5 0 27.1 26 15 15 3 10 0 20 1 0 0 115 1.317 6.6 2.00

Last 90 days 3.71 16 14 0 70.1 61 30 29 6 26 0 52 3 0 0 293 1.237 6.7 2.00

Home 3.91 17 9 0 48.1 44 22 21 4 16 0 39 2 0 0 202 1.241 7.3 2.44

Away 4.33 20 8 1 54.0 62 29 26 5 24 0 48 1 0 0 243 1.593 8.0 2.00

April 7.59 11 0 0 10.2 21 9 9 0 4 0 11 0 0 0 54 2.344 9.3 2.75

May 3.06 8 3 1 17.2 18 9 6 2 6 0 20 0 0 0 77 1.358 10.2 3.33

June 5.29 7 3 0 17.0 18 11 10 4 9 0 15 1 0 0 78 1.588 7.9 1.67

July 2.63 5 5 0 24.0 16 7 7 0 8 0 18 1 0 0 95 1.000 6.8 2.25

August 4.09 6 6 0 33.0 33 15 15 3 13 0 23 1 0 0 141 1.394 6.3 1.77

As Starter 3.62 17 17 0 77.0 67 33 31 7 29 0 61 3 0 0 322 1.247 7.1 2.10

As Reliever 5.68 20 0 1 25.1 39 18 16 2 11 0 26 0 0 0 123 1.974 9.2 2.36[/pre]

Mike Fiers

Age 29

Fiers has never been a "stuff" guy but his impeccable command has always allowed him to out pitch his stuff. At his best he's proven to be a solid starting pitcher for the Brewers but I think he best fits in the bullpen down the road. I doubt he'll ever end up back in Nashville.

Fiers MLB career:

[pre]Year Age ERA G GS IP H R ER HR BB ERA+ FIP WHIP H9 HR9 BB9 SO9 SO/W

2011 26 0.00 2 0 2.0 2 0 0 0 3 5.52 2.500 9.0 0.0 13.5 9.0 0.67

2012 27 3.74 23 22 127.2 125 56 53 12 36 110 3.10 1.261 8.8 0.8 2.5 9.5 3.75

2013 28 7.25 11 3 22.1 28 20 18 8 6 54 7.17 1.522 11.3 3.2 2.4 6.0 2.50

2014 29 1.93 9 5 42.0 23 9 9 3 9 195 2.51 0.762 4.9 0.6 1.9 9.9 5.11

4 Yrs 3.71 45 30 194.0 178 85 80 23 54 108 3.46 1.196 8.3 1.1 2.5 9.2 3.67

162 Game Avg. 3.71 41 27 176 161 77 73 21 49 108 3.46 1.196 8.3 1.1 2.5 9.2 3.67[/pre]

Fiers MLB career splits page.

Taylor Jungmann

Age 24

Jungmann enjoyed his best season as a professional as his SO/9 jumped up over full 3 full points in a single season. I don't recall another pitcher in the Brewer system having that kind of jump in a single season. He was up and down in Nashville before closing the season on an extreme high note. He works primarily off a 90-92 sinker and has been working to improve his slider, change, and curve over his first 2 seasons. His command hasn't been great as a professional, occasionally causing him issues this season as well. He looks like a lock to return to AAA and be the first pitcher up to cover any issues in Milwaukee for 2015. Ultimately I'm hoping he's a #3 but he's a pretty safe bet to at least be a back of the rotation starter.

Jungmann in MiLB:

[pre]Year Age Lev ERA G GS IP H R ER HR BB SO WHIP H9 HR9 BB9 SO9 SO/W

2012 22 A+ 3.53 26 26 153.0 159 70 60 7 46 99 1.340 9.4 0.4 2.7 5.8 2.15

2013 23 AA 4.33 26 26 139.1 117 75 67 11 73 82 1.364 7.6 0.7 4.7 5.3 1.12

2014 24 AA 2.77 9 9 52.0 52 21 16 4 15 46 1.288 9.0 0.7 2.6 8.0 3.07

2014 24 AAA 3.98 19 18 101.2 88 48 45 7 46 101 1.318 7.8 0.6 4.1 8.9 2.20

3 Seasons 3.79 80 79 446.0 416 214 188 29 180 328 1.336 8.4 0.6 3.6 6.6 1.82

A+ (1 season) A+ 3.53 26 26 153.0 159 70 60 7 46 99 1.340 9.4 0.4 2.7 5.8 2.15

AA (2 seasons) AA 3.90 35 35 191.1 169 96 83 15 88 128 1.343 7.9 0.7 4.1 6.0 1.45

AAA (1 season) AAA 3.98 19 18 101.2 88 48 45 7 46 101 1.318 7.8 0.6 4.1 8.9 2.20[/pre]

Jungmann's splits:

Total 3.57 28 27 0 153.2 140 69 61 11 61 0 147 15 1 0 655 1.308 8.6 2.41

Last 7 days 1.80 1 1 0 5.0 3 1 1 0 6 0 9 1 0 0 24 1.800 16.2 1.50

Last 28 days 1.80 5 5 0 30.0 18 7 6 3 15 0 38 1 0 0 118 1.100 11.4 2.53

Last 90 days 4.07 16 16 0 86.1 73 42 39 6 40 0 86 11 1 0 369 1.309 9.0 2.15

Home 3.33 14 14 0 78.1 73 36 29 9 22 0 80 9 0 0 331 1.213 9.2 3.64

Away 3.82 14 13 0 75.1 67 33 32 2 39 0 67 6 1 0 324 1.407 8.0 1.72

April 4.23 5 5 0 27.2 28 16 13 4 8 0 28 2 0 0 118 1.301 9.1 3.50

May 2.16 6 5 0 33.1 34 10 8 1 12 0 25 1 0 0 143 1.380 6.8 2.08

June 5.18 6 6 0 33.0 34 20 19 1 13 0 31 7 1 0 147 1.424 8.5 2.38

July 5.11 5 5 0 24.2 24 15 14 2 9 0 21 4 0 0 110 1.338 7.7 2.33

August 1.80 6 6 0 35.0 20 8 7 3 19 0 42 1 0 0 137 1.114 10.8 2.21

As Starter 3.40 27 27 0 150.2 134 65 57 11 57 0 143 15 1 0 637 1.268 8.5 2.51

As Reliever 12.00 1 0 0 3.0 6 4 4 0 4 0 4 0 0 0 18 3.333 12.0 1.00[/pre]

Donovan Hand

Age 28

Hand's 5th go round through AAA was as brutal as it gets and he may have pitched himself out of the organization. Never a stuff guy he's always been reliant on his command and control. He was better out of the rotation than the pen, but the pen is his MLB future if he has one.

Hand in MiLB:

[pre]Year Age Lev ERA G GS SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB SO HBP WHIP H9 HR9 BB9 SO9 SO/W

2010 24 AAA 4.62 21 0 0 0 25.1 29 16 13 1 5 11 0 1.342 10.3 0.4 1.8 3.9 2.20

2011 25 AAA 3.60 39 0 0 1 55.0 66 24 22 6 21 32 0 1.582 10.8 1.0 3.4 5.2 1.52

2012 26 AAA 3.84 44 3 0 0 79.2 90 35 34 7 18 54 1 1.356 10.2 0.8 2.0 6.1 3.00

2013 27 AAA 3.28 20 0 0 0 35.2 34 15 13 4 11 38 0 1.262 8.6 1.0 2.8 9.6 3.45

2014 28 AAA 5.20 47 8 0 13 79.2 100 51 46 9 22 71 4 1.531 11.3 1.0 2.5 8.0 3.23

8 Seasons 3.78 277 54 0 22 633.1 707 304 266 60 147 427 19 1.348 10.0 0.9 2.1 6.1 2.90

AAA (5 seasons) AAA 4.18 171 11 0 14 275.1 319 141 128 27 77 206 5 1.438 10.4 0.9 2.5 6.7 2.68[/pre]

Dustin Molleken

Age 30

Molleken is a career minor leaguer and just didn't appear to be anything special for Nashville this year. He had a decent season in 2013 for the Sounds but that's about it, I'd like the Brewers to move on for 2015.

Molleken in MiLB:

[pre]Year Age Lev Aff ERA G GS IP H R ER HR BB SO WHIP H9 HR9 BB9 SO9 SO/W

2011 26 AAA COL 18.00 1 0 1.0 3 2 2 0 1 1 4.000 27.0 0.0 9.0 9.0 1.00

2012 27 AAA COL 5.18 40 0 48.2 58 33 28 5 18 36 1.562 10.7 0.9 3.3 6.7 2.00

2013 28 AAA MIL 3.14 10 0 14.1 9 5 5 0 4 13 0.907 5.7 0.0 2.5 8.2 3.25

2014 29 AAA MIL 4.84 54 0 74.1 71 44 40 7 35 89 1.426 8.6 0.8 4.2 10.8 2.54

11 Seasons 4.90 283 23 538.2 566 325 293 63 181 480 1.387 9.5 1.1 3.0 8.0 2.65

AA (3 seasons) AA 4.47 84 0 143.0 138 76 71 15 46 129 1.287 8.7 0.9 2.9 8.1 2.80

AAA (4 seasons) AAA 4.88 105 0 138.1 141 84 75 12 58 139 1.439 9.2 0.8 3.8 9.0 2.40[/pre]

Alfredo Figaro

Age 30

Figaro is a guy who keeps getting chances because he has a huge arm but he's never been able to be consistent in his location with his FB or the quality of his off-speed offerings. The fact that Milwaukee recalled Alfredo yet again seems to signal the organization is still intrigued, he spent time in Japan which is why there are gaps in his stateside numbers. He's never dominated in a reasonably large sample above A ball nor has he been terrible either... he's caught in that middle ground of guys who show potential but haven't gotten over the hump.

Figaro's MLB Career:

[pre]Year Age Tm ERA G GS IP H R ER HR BB SO FIP WHIP H9 HR9 BB9 SO9 SO/W

2009 24 DET 6.35 5 3 17.0 23 13 12 3 10 16 5.45 1.941 12.2 1.6 5.3 8.5 1.60

2010 25 DET 6.75 8 1 14.2 18 12 11 1 8 5 4.92 1.773 11.0 0.6 4.9 3.1 0.63

2013 28 MIL 4.14 33 5 74.0 77 41 34 15 15 54 4.87 1.243 9.4 1.8 1.8 6.6 3.60

2014 29 MIL 6.00 4 0 6.0 5 4 4 1 1 4 4.46 1.000 7.5 1.5 1.5 6.0 4.00

4 Yrs 4.92 50 9 111.2 123 70 61 20 34 79 4.94 1.406 9.9 1.6 2.7 6.4 2.32[/pre]

Figaro in MiLB:

2010 25 AAA DET 4.14 23 23 124.0 142 60 57 11 39 112 1.460 10.3 0.8 2.8 8.1 2.87

2013 28 AAA MIL 2.77 3 3 13.0 14 6 4 0 9 8 1.769 9.7 0.0 6.2 5.5 0.89

2014 29 AAA MIL 3.71 42 2 70.1 80 31 29 5 22 55 1.450 10.2 0.6 2.8 7.0 2.50

7 Seasons 3.25 140 83 556.1 551 235 201 27 169 444 1.294 8.9 0.4 2.7 7.2 2.63

AA (1 season) AA 3.60 16 11 80.0 67 36 32 8 23 69 1.125 7.5 0.9 2.6 7.8 3.00

AAA (3 seasons) AAA 3.91 68 28 207.1 236 97 90 16 70 175 1.476 10.2 0.7 3.0 7.6 2.50[/pre]

Brent Leach

Age 31

Nothing about Leach stands out other than he's a lefty, he even had an uninspiring college career, but somehow he's spun what's he's got into a reasonably long baseball career. He got an extended call to the bigs with the Dodgers in 2009 when he appeared in 38 games but hasn't been back since. If you're noticing a trend with these veterans on the Nashville roster the answer is yes, it appears we've moved on from Ranger cast-offs and are now recycling former Dodgers. He's bounced between AA and AAA for the Brewers now in both 2013-2014, I'd much rather someone like Suter get that role than continue with Leach as the swing lefty.

Leach's MLB stint:

[pre]Year Age Tm ERA G IP H R ER HR BB SO ERA+ FIP WHIP H9 HR9 BB9 SO9 SO/W

2009 26 LAD 5.75 38 20.1 16 13 13 3 12 19 71 5.06 1.377 7.1 1.3 5.3 8.4 1.58[/pre]

Leach in MiLB

2013 30 A+ MIL 0.00 3 0 5.0 1 0 0 0 1 7 0.400 1.8 0.0 1.8 12.6 7.00

2013 30 AA MIL 0.00 4 0 5.1 6 0 0 0 1 5 1.312 10.1 0.0 1.7 8.4 5.00

2013 30 AAA MIL 5.19 17 0 17.1 15 10 10 2 10 21 1.442 7.8 1.0 5.2 10.9 2.10

2014 31 AA MIL 2.25 4 0 4.0 1 1 1 1 1 4 0.500 2.2 2.2 2.2 9.0 4.00

2014 31 AAA MIL 3.28 59 1 60.1 51 25 22 6 28 69 1.309 7.6 0.9 4.2 10.3 2.46

9 Seasons 3.70 298 46 554.1 501 268 228 36 294 575 1.434 8.1 0.6 4.8 9.3 1.96

AA (6 seasons) AA 3.19 87 18 194.2 172 84 69 12 96 167 1.377 8.0 0.6 4.4 7.7 1.74

AAA (5 seasons) AAA 5.53 131 5 153.0 161 103 94 16 90 164 1.641 9.5 0.9 5.3 9.6 1.82[/pre]

Kyle Heckathorn

Age 26

I understand why the Brewers keep hoping Heckathorn turns a corner and finds something, it's difficult to walk away from 1st round picks, but I'm ready to move on. Kyle posted a solid yet unspectacular 2013 and followed that up with a disaster in his repeat performance of AAA. He was still managing to hang on in the BA Brewer top 30 all the way to 2012 when he was the #29, but that's a more a commentary on the farm system than anything Heckathorn had done to warrant such consideration. As starter his velocity had dipped down into the high 80s at times, as a reliever he works 91-93 but doesn't have any one pitch which really stands out.

Heckathorn in MiLB:

[pre]Year Age Lev ERA G GS IP H R ER HR BB SO HBP WHIP H9 HR9 BB9 SO9 SO/W

2012 24 AA 4.75 35 17 119.1 127 67 63 7 38 88 13 1.383 9.6 0.5 2.9 6.6 2.32

2013 25 AAA 3.60 48 1 65.0 50 31 26 5 31 46 4 1.246 6.9 0.7 4.3 6.4 1.48

2014 26 AAA 5.70 28 4 47.1 51 31 30 7 21 30 3 1.521 9.7 1.3 4.0 5.7 1.43

6 Seasons 4.35 164 70 494.0 507 277 239 41 165 358 29 1.360 9.2 0.7 3.0 6.5 2.17

AA (2 seasons) AA 5.32 42 24 155.2 172 101 92 14 55 112 15 1.458 9.9 0.8 3.2 6.5 2.04

AAA (2 seasons) AAA 4.49 76 5 112.1 101 62 56 12 52 76 7 1.362 8.1 1.0 4.2 6.1 1.46[/pre]

Jeremy Jeffress

Age 26

Jeffress still has electric stuff and dominated hitters in Nashville this season, rightfully earning his return to MLB. As long as he's throwing strikes I don't think there's anyway he returns to the minor leagues again, which is wonderful for him considering the winding road he traveled back to the Brewer organization. JJ was always a guy I rooted hard for but ultimately left me incredibly disappointed so I'm thrilled with how things have turned around for him.

Jeffress 2014 MLB stint with the Brewers thus far:

[pre]Year Age ERA G GF IP H R ER HR BB SO ERA+ FIP WHIP H9 HR9 BB9 SO9 SO/W

2014 26 1.56 18 6 17.1 18 3 3 1 3 11 244 3.13 1.212 9.3 0.5 1.6 5.7 3.67[/pre]

Jeffress in MiLB:

[pre]Year Age Lev Aff ERA G IP H R ER HR BB SO WHIP H9 HR9 BB9 SO9 SO/W

2013 25 AAA TOR 1.65 25 27.1 22 6 5 0 13 28 1.280 7.2 0.0 4.3 9.2 2.15

2014 26 AAA MIL 1.51 30 41.2 33 8 7 0 18 45 1.224 7.1 0.0 3.9 9.7 2.50

9 Seasons 3.89 209 495.2 401 255 214 29 285 543 1.384 7.3 0.5 5.2 9.9 1.91

AAA (4 seasons) AAA 3.75 108 151.0 134 68 63 9 74 158 1.377 8.0 0.5 4.4 9.4 2.14[/pre]

Arcenio Leon

Age 27

Leon is a career minor leaguer once ranked the #19 prospect in the Rangers organization. He had a very nice start to the season in Huntsville but that didn't follow through after his promotion. He's another guy who's going to get continual changes because of his stuff and arm. Here's what BA wrote about him in 2009:

When he finally made it to low Class A in 2009, he showed perhaps the best pure stuff among Astros farmhands. He sits at 93-95 mph with his fastball, topping out at 96. He mixes in a slider that can be an electric pitch at 86-88 mph, a swing-and-miss offering with sharp, late break and depth. As good as Leon's stuff is, his control prevents him from having success. He struggles to throw strikes, often failing to come close to the zone as he struggles to repeat his delivery. Leon often has to dial his fastball down just to get the ball over the plate, and he gets behind in the count so often that he's unable to use his slider as a put-away pitch.

Leon in MiLB:

2013 26 AA MIL 5.68 35 10 71.1 60 49 45 8 58 41 1.654 7.6 1.0 7.3 5.2 0.71

2014 27 AA MIL 2.18 24 0 33.0 23 9 8 0 8 29 0.939 6.3 0.0 2.2 7.9 3.63

2014 27 AAA MIL 5.26 28 0 39.1 44 27 23 3 19 32 1.602 10.1 0.7 4.3 7.3 1.68

10 Seasons 4.49 333 25 579.0 563 361 289 33 337 483 1.554 8.8 0.5 5.2 7.5 1.43

AA (5 seasons) AA 4.82 168 10 255.2 241 158 137 19 169 224 1.604 8.5 0.7 5.9 7.9 1.33

AAA (2 seasons) AAA 5.66 29 0 41.1 46 30 26 4 20 32 1.597 10.0 0.9 4.4 7.0 1.60[/pre]

Johnnie Lowe

Age 29

Lowe is another career MiLB player, he reportedly touched 95 with his FB prior to the draft in 2007 and was rated with the best curve in the White Sox system for 2011 but that stuff has never translated into domination at any level. Johnnie has been pitching in the Brewer system since 2012 and was basically a taxi squad DL guy between AA and AAA for the season, ending the year on Helena's roster (paper move).

Lowe in MiLB:

2012 27 AA MIL 5.26 11 10 53.0 54 36 31 5 30 40 1.585 9.2 0.8 5.1 6.8 1.33

2012 27 AAA MIL 3.55 19 0 33.0 32 21 13 6 21 20 1.606 8.7 1.6 5.7 5.5 0.95

2013 28 AAA MIL 3.53 37 5 79.0 94 39 31 7 21 62 1.456 10.7 0.8 2.4 7.1 2.95

2014 29 AA MIL 4.22 5 0 10.2 12 5 5 3 2 8 1.312 10.1 2.5 1.7 6.8 4.00

2014 29 AAA MIL 5.55 18 5 35.2 40 24 22 6 15 35 1.542 10.1 1.5 3.8 8.8 2.33

8 Seasons 4.31 208 100 711.1 751 399 341 61 265 505 1.428 9.5 0.8 3.4 6.4 1.91

AA (5 seasons) AA 4.61 77 39 277.1 286 158 142 23 120 176 1.464 9.3 0.7 3.9 5.7 1.47

AAA (3 seasons) AAA 4.02 74 10 147.2 166 84 66 19 57 117 1.510 10.1 1.2 3.5 7.1 2.05[/pre]

Jose De La Torre

Age 28

De La Torre had a cup of coffee with Boston in 2013 and didn't pitch his way back this season. He was never a top 30 prospect for the Sox so I was unable to find anything about where his stuff was or is going. Jose spent time at 3 levels of the Brewer organization this year.

De La Torre in MiLB:

[pre]Year Age AgeDif Tm Lg Lev Aff W L W-L% ERA G GS GF CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB IBB SO HBP BK WP BF WHIP H9 HR9 BB9 SO9 SO/W

2014 28 4.8 BrevardCounty FLOR A+ MIL 0 0 2.25 3 0 1 0 0 0 4.0 3 1 1 1 0 0 6 0 0 1 16 0.750 6.8 2.2 0.0 13.5

2014 28 3.6 Huntsville SOUL AA MIL 1 0 1.000 1.93 9 0 3 0 0 2 14.0 8 3 3 2 6 0 16 1 0 0 56 1.000 5.1 1.3 3.9 10.3 2.67

2014 28 1.2 Nashville PCL AAA MIL 4 3 .571 5.97 21 0 7 0 0 0 28.2 36 21 19 2 16 2 36 0 0 4 135 1.814 11.3 0.6 5.0 11.3 2.25

8 Seasons 36 24 .600 3.00 281 14 113 0 0 31 438.2 372 187 146 22 181 14 468 20 3 31 1862 1.261 7.6 0.5 3.7 9.6 2.59

AAA (5 seasons) AAA 16 8 .667 3.12 125 0 42 0 0 4 178.2 145 74 62 11 82 6 202 6 0 15 757 1.271 7.3 0.6 4.1 10.2 2.46[/pre]

Jay Jackson

Age 26

Jackson came over late in the year after the Pirates let him go. He works lows 90s with averagish off-speed stuff and was the Cubs #15 prospect coming out of 2010. BA said it best:

The Cubs moved him to the bullpen in May to prepare him for a possible callup, but when he pitched well and didn't get promoted he went into a funk. His stuff regressed slightly, as did his command, and he posted a 5.70 ERA in his final 20 starts. Jackson works with two fastballs, a low-90s four-seamer that's straight and a high-80s two-seamer with more run than sink. He used to feature two distinct breaking balls, a mid-80s slider and high-70s curveball, but they morphed into a low- 80s slurve for much of last year. His changeup lost effectiveness too. He pitched up in the strike zone too often and got tagged for 20 homers. While Jackson had a disappointing season, he still flashed three average or better pitches and threw strikes as a 22-year-old in Triple-A

Jackson in MiLB:

2009 21 AAA CHC 1.50 1 1 6.0 5 1 1 1 3 4 1.333 7.5 1.5 4.5 6.0 1.33

2010 22 AAA CHC 4.63 32 25 157.1 153 86 81 20 48 119 1.278 8.8 1.1 2.7 6.8 2.48

2011 23 AAA CHC 5.34 26 26 146.2 180 90 87 10 46 97 1.541 11.0 0.6 2.8 6.0 2.11

2012 24 AAA CHC 6.57 37 9 86.1 105 67 63 14 43 76 1.714 10.9 1.5 4.5 7.9 1.77

2013 25 AA MIA 3.16 14 14 79.2 59 32 28 6 22 73 1.017 6.7 0.7 2.5 8.2 3.32

2013 25 AAA MIA 4.68 7 4 25.0 29 16 13 3 11 20 1.600 10.4 1.1 4.0 7.2 1.82

2014 26 AAA PIT 4.89 25 12 84.2 91 50 46 8 36 87 1.500 9.7 0.9 3.8 9.2 2.42

2014 26 AAA MIL 5.06 6 6 26.2 29 15 15 4 16 28 1.688 9.8 1.4 5.4 9.4 1.75

7 Seasons 4.49 184 125 783.1 795 421 391 80 281 699 1.374 9.1 0.9 3.2 8.0 2.49

AAA (6 seasons) AAA 5.17 134 83 532.2 592 325 306 60 203 431 1.492 10.0 1.0 3.4 7.3 2.12[/pre]

Rob Wooten

Age 29

Wooten bounced between Nashville and Milwaukee all season and didn't set the world on fire at either place. Brewers fans are incredibly familiar with Rob by this point so I'm just going to post his stats.

Wooten in MLB:

[pre]Year Age ERA G IP H R ER HR BB SO ERA+ FIP WHIP H9 HR9 BB9 SO9 SO/W

2013 27 3.90 27 27.2 27 12 12 1 8 18 99 3.19 1.265 8.8 0.3 2.6 5.9 2.25

2014 28 4.59 39 33.1 39 17 17 1 8 29 82 2.59 1.410 10.5 0.3 2.2 7.8 3.63

2 Yrs 4.28 66 61.0 66 29 29 2 16 47 89 2.86 1.344 9.7 0.3 2.4 6.9 2.94

162 Game Avg. 4.28 68 63 68 30 30 2 16 48 89 2.86 1.344 9.7 0.3 2.4 6.9 2.94[/pre]

Wooten in MiLB:

[pre]Year Age Lev ERA G IP H R ER HR BB SO WHIP H9 HR9 BB9 SO9 SO/W

2012 26 AAA 3.93 40 52.2 49 23 23 4 16 49 1.234 8.4 0.7 2.7 8.4 3.06

2013 27 AAA 2.94 40 52.0 40 17 17 4 12 45 1.000 6.9 0.7 2.1 7.8 3.75

2014 28 AAA 5.82 21 21.2 24 16 14 1 5 21 1.338 10.0 0.4 2.1 8.7 4.20

6 Seasons 3.09 233 300.0 258 114 103 16 86 317 1.147 7.7 0.5 2.6 9.5 3.69

AAA (3 seasons) AAA 3.85 101 126.1 113 56 54 9 33 115 1.156 8.1 0.6 2.4 8.2 3.48[/pre]

Johnny Hellweg

Age 25

Hellweg's career has been well chronicled on this forum. To quickly sum him up: Huge arm, average secondary stuff, and trouble locating. I've long felt he was destined for the bullpen, he just doesn't have the stuff for 3 times through a MLB order. However with the TJ surgery and the fact that he is also out of options for 2015 he may not pitch again for this organization as I doubt he'd clear waivers. Here is what BA said about Johnny after last season:

He led the Triple-A Pacific Coast League in walks (89, which ranked fourth in the minors) and hit batters (14). Yet he also led the PCL in opponent average (.228) while ranking second in ERA (3.15) and wins (12). He won the league's pitcher of the year award but flopped in his September callup. At 6-foot-9, Hellweg can't help but throw on a downhill plane. When he's pounding the lower half of the zone with fastballs in the 92-95 mph range, he induces one groundball out after another. He's capable of reaching 98 mph whenever he wants, but because of control problems he learned to dial back his fastball and pitch more to contact, and his strikeout numbers plummeted. He has such good movement on his fastball that hitters don't square him up much, but that life, as well as Hellweg's extra-tall frame, makes the pitch hard to control. He has a lot going on with his delivery and struggles to maintain a consistent release point. His average changeup has improved and some scouts prefer it to his slurvy, below-average breaking ball.

Hellweg in MLB:

[pre]Year Age Tm ERA G GS IP H R ER HR BB SO ERA+ FIP WHIP H9 HR9 BB9 SO9 SO/W

2013 24 MIL 6.75 8 7 30.2 40 30 23 3 26 9 57 7.06 2.152 11.7 0.9 7.6 2.6 0.35[/pre]

Hellweg in MiLB:

2012 23 AA MIL 2.70 7 2 20.0 16 7 6 0 15 17 1.550 7.2 0.0 6.8 7.6 1.13

2012 23 AA LAA 3.38 21 21 119.2 105 52 45 8 60 88 1.379 7.9 0.6 4.5 6.6 1.47

2013 24 A MIL 3.00 1 1 6.0 5 2 2 0 2 4 1.167 7.5 0.0 3.0 6.0 2.00

2013 24 AAA MIL 3.15 23 23 125.2 103 55 44 6 81 89 1.464 7.4 0.4 5.8 6.4 1.10

2014 25 AAA MIL 4.95 4 4 20.0 21 11 11 1 15 12 1.800 9.4 0.4 6.8 5.4 0.80

7 Seasons 3.53 162 68 477.0 384 230 187 20 330 446 1.497 7.2 0.4 6.2 8.4 1.35

AA (1 season) AA 3.29 28 23 139.2 121 59 51 8 75 105 1.403 7.8 0.5 4.8 6.8 1.40

AAA (2 seasons) AAA 3.40 27 27 145.2 124 66 55 7 96 101 1.510 7.7 0.4 5.9 6.2 1.05[/pre]

Eric Marzec

Age 26

Marzec was one of the pitchers held up by the logjam of veteran arms assigned to Nashville. He spent most of the year in AA but occasionally was bumped up to pitch a game for the Sounds, he's bounced around quite a bit in his career. He's a low 90s guy, decent secondary stuff, who profiles best as a reliever.

Marzec in MiLB:

[pre]Year Age Lev ERA G IP H R ER HR BB SO WHIP H9 HR9 BB9 SO9 SO/W

2011 23 A 1.77 32 45.2 29 14 9 2 27 55 1.226 5.7 0.4 5.3 10.8 2.04

2011 23 A+ 1.74 8 20.2 17 4 4 1 5 9 1.065 7.4 0.4 2.2 3.9 1.80

2011 23 AAA 0.00 2 3.0 1 0 0 0 1 1 0.667 3.0 0.0 3.0 3.0 1.00

2012 24 A+ 2.45 23 36.2 33 15 10 2 13 31 1.255 8.1 0.5 3.2 7.6 2.38

2012 24 AA 7.53 10 14.1 15 12 12 2 10 18 1.744 9.4 1.3 6.3 11.3 1.80

2013 25 A+ 1.59 3 5.2 3 1 1 1 0 5 0.529 4.8 1.6 0.0 7.9

2013 25 AA 1.99 43 54.1 49 17 12 2 20 51 1.270 8.1 0.3 3.3 8.4 2.55

2014 26 AA 3.34 32 72.2 78 34 27 6 27 50 1.445 9.7 0.7 3.3 6.2 1.85

2014 26 AAA 1.32 6 13.2 10 4 2 0 4 12 1.024 6.6 0.0 2.6 7.9 3.00

5 Seasons 2.52 182 300.1 261 114 84 17 116 278 1.255 7.8 0.5 3.5 8.3 2.40

AAA (2 seasons) AAA 1.08 8 16.2 11 4 2 0 5 13 0.960 5.9 0.0 2.7 7.0 2.60[/pre]

Billy Buckner

Age 31

I was shocked when the Brewers brought in Buckner in August, I didn't see it then and don't get it now. He's basically a 2 pitch guy, low 90s sinker and a curve. I just don't see how he was a better option than anyone else from inside the organization.

Buckner in MLB:

[pre]Year Age Tm ERA G GS IP H R ER HR BB SO ERA+ FIP WHIP H9 HR9 BB9 SO9 SO/W

2007 23 KCR 5.29 7 5 34.0 37 20 20 5 16 17 87 5.56 1.559 9.8 1.3 4.2 4.5 1.06

2008 24 ARI 3.21 10 0 14.0 16 5 5 3 4 11 146 5.42 1.429 10.3 1.9 2.6 7.1 2.75

2009 25 ARI 6.40 16 13 77.1 94 57 55 12 29 64 70 4.70 1.591 10.9 1.4 3.4 7.4 2.21

2010 26 ARI 11.08 3 3 13.0 26 17 16 4 5 11 39 7.00 2.385 18.0 2.8 3.5 7.6 2.20

2013 29 LAA 4.67 7 2 17.1 17 9 9 5 7 7 81 7.37 1.385 8.8 2.6 3.6 3.6 1.00

2014 30 SDP 4.76 1 1 5.2 6 3 3 1 4 4 77 6.13 1.765 9.5 1.6 6.4 6.4 1.00

6 Yrs 6.02 44 24 161.1 196 111 108 30 65 114 73 5.47 1.618 10.9 1.7 3.6 6.4 1.75[/pre]

Buckner in MiLB:

2007 23 AAA KCR 3.78 27 15 104.2 108 49 44 11 26 83 1.280 9.3 0.9 2.2 7.1 3.19

2008 24 AAA ARI 4.95 21 20 116.1 136 74 64 9 43 69 1.539 10.5 0.7 3.3 5.3 1.60

2009 25 AAA ARI 3.32 18 16 103.0 91 41 38 5 45 96 1.320 8.0 0.4 3.9 8.4 2.13

2010 26 AAA DET 9.40 8 8 37.1 60 44 39 8 16 21 2.036 14.5 1.9 3.9 5.1 1.31

2010 26 AAA ARI 3.53 7 7 43.1 40 19 17 2 17 27 1.315 8.3 0.4 3.5 5.6 1.59

2011 27 AAA COL 6.03 23 21 109.0 136 91 73 12 52 80 1.725 11.2 1.0 4.3 6.6 1.54

2012 28 AA BOS 3.20 10 10 56.1 51 20 20 6 17 51 1.207 8.1 1.0 2.7 8.1 3.00

2012 28 AAA BOS 3.91 17 17 96.2 87 48 42 12 36 59 1.272 8.1 1.1 3.4 5.5 1.64

2013 29 AAA LAA 4.87 18 18 94.1 101 61 51 7 50 77 1.601 9.6 0.7 4.8 7.3 1.54

2014 30 AAA SDP 5.80 15 14 63.2 85 52 41 10 33 44 1.853 12.0 1.4 4.7 6.2 1.33

2014 30 AAA MIL 6.00 4 2 12.0 9 8 8 1 3 15 1.000 6.8 0.8 2.2 11.2 5.00

11 Seasons 4.61 236 213 1206.0 1301 716 618 123 497 972 1.491 9.7 0.9 3.7 7.3 1.96

AAA (8 seasons) AAA 4.81 158 138 780.1 853 487 417 77 321 571 1.504 9.8 0.9 3.7 6.6 1.78[/pre]

Tim Dillard

Age 31

Great guy but why the hell bring him back for yet another encore this season? Even the most casual Brewer fan is educated on Dillard and his AAA stint was positively awful.

Tyler Cravy

Age 25

Cravy is a low 90s sinker guy and mixes in a decent slider and curve. It took him a while to figure out how to locate but he exploded in BC last year and carried that through his campaign this year. Unfortunately he suffered a very bad oblique injury in his first start at Nashville and never made it back to AAA before the season ended. His season effectively ended on 6/22 but hopefully he's part of the AAA rotation in 2015.

Cravy in MiLB:

[pre]Year Age Lev ERA G GS IP H R ER HR BB SO WHIP H9 HR9 BB9 SO9 SO/W

2013 23 A+ 2.04 25 9 79.1 61 22 18 1 24 59 1.071 6.9 0.1 2.7 6.7 2.46

2014 24 AA 1.72 14 12 73.1 47 17 14 7 15 64 0.845 5.8 0.9 1.8 7.9 4.27

2014 24 AAA 2.70 1 1 3.1 3 1 1 0 3 4 1.800 8.1 0.0 8.1 10.8 1.33

2014 24 Rk 0.00 2 2 6.0 2 1 0 0 2 8 0.667 3.0 0.0 3.0 12.0 4.00

6 Seasons 3.67 122 51 412.0 364 198 168 27 128 402 1.194 8.0 0.6 2.8 8.8 3.14

AA (1 season) AA 1.72 14 12 73.1 47 17 14 7 15 64 0.845 5.8 0.9 1.8 7.9 4.27

AAA (1 season) AAA 2.70 1 1 3.1 3 1 1 0 3 4 1.800 8.1 0.0 8.1 10.8 1.33[/pre]

Cravy's splits:

Total 1.63 17 15 0 82.2 52 19 15 7 20 0 76 6 1 0 318 0.871 8.3 3.80

Last 7 days 0.00 1 1 0 3.0 1 1 0 0 2 0 3 0 0 0 12 1.000 9.0 1.50

Last 28 days 0.00 2 2 0 6.0 2 1 0 0 2 0 8 0 0 0 22 0.667 12.0 4.00

Last 90 days 1.27 5 5 0 21.1 12 4 3 1 7 0 24 2 0 0 84 0.891 10.1 3.43

Home 2.13 7 7 0 38.0 24 11 9 6 5 0 34 4 0 0 147 0.763 8.1 6.80

Away 1.21 10 8 0 44.2 28 8 6 1 15 0 42 2 1 0 171 0.963 8.5 2.80

April 2.59 6 4 0 24.1 15 7 7 3 7 0 25 1 1 0 93 0.904 9.2 3.57

May 1.22 6 6 0 37.0 25 8 5 3 6 0 27 3 0 0 141 0.838 6.6 4.50

June 1.76 3 3 0 15.1 10 3 3 1 5 0 16 2 0 0 62 0.978 9.4 3.20

August 0.00 2 2 0 6.0 2 1 0 0 2 0 8 0 0 0 22 0.667 12.0 4.00

As Starter 1.72 15 15 0 78.1 50 19 15 7 18 0 71 6 1 0 301 0.868 8.2 3.94

As Reliever 0.00 2 0 0 4.1 2 0 0 0 2 0 5 0 0 0 17 0.923 10.4 2.50[/pre]

- Plato

- Plato

Archived