Brewer Fanatic

Trout gets extended

TURBO

The Angels and Mike Trout have agreed to a six-year, $144.5 million contract extension, according to Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com.

Well that was fast. Gonzalez reported the two sides were close just minutes earlier, but apparently they were just crossing T's and dotting I's. The $24.1 million average annual value makes Trout the third Angels player, along with Albert Pujols and Josh Hamilton, to earn $24 million per year on average. It's a nice payday for the 22-year-old pre-arbitration player.

Source: Alden Gonzalez on Twitter

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/mlb/baseball?r=1

Average of 24 million a year for 6 years. Article says the Angels have 3 players that are averaging 24 million per year... Almost 75 million for 3 players?

So sad it is almost funny that major league baseball thinks there is an even playing field around the league.

Pretty disgusting actually.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

So, they bought out 2 years of FA, and he was making 1 million this season. Going with the 40/60/80 Arby guidelines, 143/3.8 is about ~37.6 million per year.

Yikes.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

What would Trout get in Arb year 1? 5mil? Then what 10mil? and finally 17mil? That amounts to 32mil so you stare at a FA signing of 3/112.5mil or 37.5mil a year in FA years. Pretty sure the Angels just paid Market value for him for his FA.

Now one can assume Trout sees more money up front then what Arb would get him guessing something like 8mil/15mil/21mil At which point he's making 33mil his FA years...Probably a 30/35/35mil arrangement.

For what he's done, it seems in line with expectations. Why do the deal though for just 3 FA years buy-out? Why not just go to Arb this offseason see where his initial demand is and then proceed to give him a 8year extension? Which would give you another 2 more years?

The Brewers could not do this deal. They would have to trade Trout at some point(more than likely better off) but now way could we sign 30mil deal per year beyond the initial team controlled 6years. 20 has been Mark A.'s dollar amount and I can guess with new money he could make that 24mil but that is still far off of 30mil.

How does this deal prove an uneven playing field in MLB? The Angels have the best player in the game, three players making 24 million per year, and project to finish 3rd in their division. They paid 142 million dollars and won 78 games last year. Over 50 million more than we spent to win 74.

What would Trout get in Arb year 1? 5mil? Then what 10mil? and finally 17mil? That amounts to 32mil so you stare at a FA signing of 3/112.5mil or 37.5mil a year in FA years. Pretty sure the Angels just paid Market value for him for his FA.

Now one can assume Trout sees more money up front then what Arb would get him guessing something like 8mil/15mil/21mil At which point he's making 33mil his FA years...Probably a 30/35/35mil arrangement.

For what he's done, it seems in line with expectations. Why do the deal though for just 3 FA years buy-out? Why not just go to Arb this offseason see where his initial demand is and then proceed to give him a 8year extension? Which would give you another 2 more years?

Mark Trumbo took home 4.8 mil in his first Arb Year, I think Trout might have gotten a tad more. That being said, yeah, the Angels probably paid more than 30 million for each free agent season. The value is in only buying 3 instead of 13. Give me the first three years of the Cabrera, Fielder, Cano, Pujols etc contracts any day. The problem is that teams don't 'give' guys contracts, they negotiate them. Waiting a year will make him more likely to just go to free agency, and it definitely wouldn't result in you getting an even sweeter deal. Mike Trout at age 26 would have been the most valuable asset in baseball history, and hes agreed to hold off until 29 to hit the market and give up his most valuable seasons. I figured they might buy one free agent season, and that two would be a windfall. Three is an incredible steal.

advocates for the devil

Archived