Brewer Fanatic

Orioles cut Matt LaPorta

homer
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

So, does he count as the best "worst draft pick" in Brewer history? A first rounder that never got anything more than a cup of coffee at the MLB level, but brought back a big return for the Brewers? :)

Actually, I'd put him as an above average first round pick for the Brewers. He never did anything in the bigs, but his numbers in his early minor league career allowed the Brewers to make the Sabathia deal.

For the worst number one pick ever, there are plenty of choices. In particular, the Brewers made some truly awful selections during the early-mid 70's and most of the 90's. Factoring everything in however, I'd probably go with Kenny Henderson, the 5th overall pick in '91. First of all, he didn't sign. Even worse than that, Manny Ramirez, Shawn Green, and Cliff Floyd were amongst the next 10 picks. After a few years, in college, Henderson was drafted again by the Padres, was injured and never made it past single A.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

We already have Morris and Rogers at AAA. No need for LaPorta anymore.

For the worst number one pick ever, there are plenty of choices. In particular, the Brewers made some truly awful selections during the early-mid 70's and most of the 90's. Factoring everything in however, I'd probably go with Kenny Henderson, the 5th overall pick in '91. First of all, he didn't sign. Even worse than that, Manny Ramirez, Shawn Green, and Cliff Floyd were amongst the next 10 picks. After a few years, in college, Henderson was drafted again by the Padres, was injured and never made it past single A.

Those are the worst of the worst picks... I was saying the best of the worst picks. Or a high pick that never really amounted to much, but we made the most of his value by trading him at his peak value.

Archived