Brewer Fanatic

Trade with Arizona?

Nate you would rather have Hill at 12mil each the next 2 seasons? A player who's currently at .696OPS at age 32? 10years 24WAR. 3 years with 5WAR means 7years of 9WAR total. He's boom or bust. I'll take Scooter who to me will be the average in between what Hill offers in his boom or bust ways. 5WAR one year followed by 1WAR the next. Or just have Scooter at 2.5WAR per season. Plus, 11mil in payroll to spend elsewhere.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nate you would rather have Hill at 12mil each the next 2 seasons? A player who's currently at .696OPS at age 32? 10years 24WAR. 3 years with 5WAR means 7years of 9WAR total. He's boom or bust. I'll take Scooter who to me will be the average in between what Hill offers in his boom or bust ways. 5WAR one year followed by 1WAR the next. Or just have Scooter at 2.5WAR per season. Plus, 11mil in payroll to spend elsewhere.

Yes as he brings better defense and offense than Gennett does. A 2.5 WAR would be a career year for Gennett. At best Gennett is a 1 WAR player with his defense probably bringing him to a negative WAR. Gennett has to be platooned while Hill does not.

I'm staring at BRef right now with Gennett at .8WAR in 63 games this season after 2WAR in 69games last season. Seems to me he's far more than a 1WAR player. Can't the man improve like he's done of late and keep it up? or is he forever going to be a Platoon player regardless if he's batting .300 because it's been determined by Gennett haters that he will never amount to anything but a platoon 2b who doesn't hit enough HRs for their liking. He's raised his average 31pts in the last 12games, had a great ab vs. Latos. The kind of Ab that shows he's learning and going to be a tough out(ie, improving) no,no, no he can't hit LHs something again he's only faced LH RPs or PH vs LH starters, hasn't started a game vs. a LH pitcher where seeing a guy a 2nd and 3rd time facing usually results in better numbers for the batter. I believe if given the chance with numerous opportunities he'll improve vs. LH pitching, how much I don't know but Gennett's recent improvement vs RHs I think is a sign of positive things to come.

As it stands now looking at Hill's numbers he's a -.7WAR defensively in the 4 years he's played for Arizona with -.9WAR last season and -.6WAR thus far this season. Pretty solid indicator of his aging and likely a sign your better then Gennett defensively isn't looking at what Hill has become defensively. Hill's numbers offensively he's struggling vs. RH pitching. Something that for his career averages out to 68% of all Starters faced vs. 32% LH starters. So, one could put an assumption that the Platoon works in Gennett's favor since over 2/3rds of the Pitchers faced to start games are RH Pitchers. I could agree Hill is better than Gennett if he batted LH but since he doesn't I don't see Hill as being better than Gennett the rest of this season and the next two seasons. Hill is on the decline being paid a lot for it. Stands a strong chance he'll miss at least 60games between 2015+2016. While continuing to decline as he ages. The Brewers don't win in trading for Hill vs. continuing to play Gennett. I'd feel pretty confident taking a wager that Gennett provides more WAR now through 2016 season than Hill provides now through 2016 season.

Yes as he brings better defense and offense than Gennett does. A 2.5 WAR would be a career year for Gennett. At best Gennett is a 1 WAR player with his defense probably bringing him to a negative WAR. Gennett has to be platooned while Hill does not.

Per Baseball-Reference, Gennett has already posted a 3.1 WAR for what is essentially 90% of one full season in the majors. So his "career year" is still occurring now? Hill is vastly overpaid at this point and would be a totally unnecessary gamble for a guy who is limited to 2B much like Weeks.

The "problem" with the current Brewers roster is in how to upgrade. We could upgrade SP, but why pay the price when SP has been a strength, and we have depth. Davis and Gennett both project to be decent MLB players. Not stars, but decent players. The only way an upgrade would make sense there is to bring in a really good MLB player, and that player would be prohibitively expensive (in money and prospects). You're not upgrading CF, RF or C, as they're all star players. Our SS is young and we are going to stick with him. 3B is covered as long as Ramirez stays healthy (which has become more iffy in the recent past). We're not going to pay what it would cost to bring in a good 3B on the off chance Ramirez gets injured. That leaves 1B and there doesn't appear to be a lot of good 1B on the market.

I guess an ideal situation if we feel the need to "buy" this season would be to find a 1B who could take over 3B next year. That's not an easy thing to find, but Prado would probably fit that bill if Arizona was looking to trade him, and if the Brewers could both find the pieces needed to trade for him and afford his salary.

More likely is they find a 4th OF (I don't like Herrera and apparently he's beat out our other in-house options), or an upgrade to Overbay.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

• 3 weeks later...

There sure seems to be talk that Prado could be had in a deal. Arizona just might figure it's better off getting out from his contract. If the Brewers could deal Weeks to say Baltimore or Oakland, and find a way to get Prado from Arizona that would be fine. Prado, unlike Weeks, plays anywhere including 1B and is a viable option to take over full time duty at 3B if they decide not to pick up ARAM's option.

The trading away of Matt Davidson doesn't factor in. Davidson's prospect status is taking a gigantic hit this year. He's hitting .201 in Charlotte with nearly twice as many K's as hits. I think Arizona had doubts about Davidson before they dealt him despite his high prospect rankings.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Another guy I would throw out is Gerardo Parra.

He's not that cheap - $4.85 million this year and another year of arby available. But with the nagging injuries to Braun and Gomez this year, he could serve as a quality backup to all the OF spots. As a lefty, he could get some starts as well, plus pinch hit.

As I mentioned, the team would still have control of the guy through 2015. If the Crew decided to keep him past 2014, they could then move Braun to 1B next year, and play Parra in RF. Of course, the team would have to feel Bruan at 1B would be a good idea (I happen to like it).

The big issue is that Parra is not having a very good year this season. Last year he was great - 4.5 fWAR / 6.1 bWAR. This year he's around 0.0 WAR. I'm not sure if he's had any injury issues or what, but his numbers are down (.662 OPS after posting .726, .727 and .784 over the past few years).

I always liked Parra. At worst, he's a great back up. He's won a gold glove (for what that's worth) and can play all the OF slots either very well (LF and RF) or competently (CF). At best he's a great defender with modest power.

Parra isn't a game changer, but he's a been (prior to 2014) a solid player who would fill a need for this season (and maybe next). I'm not sure if his poor 2014 is just a fluke, but he's been much better in the past. He's only 27.

Not sure what Parra would cost, but I don't think he'd break the bank since he's not a big name and having a down season.

He's not that cheap - $4.85 million this year and another year of arby available. But with the nagging injuries to Braun and Gomez this year, he could serve as a quality backup to all the OF spots. As a lefty, he could get some starts as well, plus pinch hit.

As I mentioned, the team would still have control of the guy through 2015. If the Crew decided to keep him past 2014, they could then move Braun to 1B next year, and play Parra in RF. Of course, the team would have to feel Bruan at 1B would be a good idea (I happen to like it).

The big issue is that Parra is not having a very good year this season. Last year he was great - 4.5 fWAR / 6.1 bWAR. This year he's around 0.0 WAR. I'm not sure if he's had any injury issues or what, but his numbers are down (.662 OPS after posting .726, .727 and .784 over the past few years).

I always liked Parra. At worst, he's a great back up. He's won a gold glove (for what that's worth) and can play all the OF slots either very well (LF and RF) or competently (CF). At best he's a great defender with modest power.

Parra isn't a game changer, but he's a been (prior to 2014) a solid player who would fill a need for this season (and maybe next). I'm not sure if his poor 2014 is just a fluke, but he's been much better in the past. He's only 27.

Not sure what Parra would cost, but I don't think he'd break the bank since he's not a big name and having a down season.

I think I read on MLBTR that Parra isn't in discussion to be traded. He may not be a big name but he actually is. Because he's a Gold Glove winner(the Year Braun had deserving Stats to be) Arizona would be foolish to sell low on him. At Minimum I'd say he's easily worth Jungmann in trade Probably + with Jungmann.

There sure seems to be talk that Prado could be had in a deal. Arizona just might figure it's better off getting out from his contract. If the Brewers could deal Weeks to say Baltimore or Oakland, and find a way to get Prado from Arizona that would be fine. Prado, unlike Weeks, plays anywhere including 1B and is a viable option to take over full time duty at 3B if they decide not to pick up ARAM's option.

The trading away of Matt Davidson doesn't factor in. Davidson's prospect status is taking a gigantic hit this year. He's hitting .201 in Charlotte with nearly twice as many K's as hits. I think Arizona had doubts about Davidson before they dealt him despite his high prospect rankings.

Briggs, why would Oak/Balt go and pick up Weeks if Prado can be had? If I'm them, I'd trade for Prado first and Weeks would only be an option if Prado was traded away already....Same thing goes in line with Zobrist. Those two are going to be sought after well before Weeks is. Unless Milwaukee has a far to low a price tag in what they ask for Weeks.

1st base is a need right now and then we worry about 3rd base in the offseason i guess.

I'd guess they're going to go with Ramirez next year and pick up his option. It'd be the same as signing him for one year at 12 million dollars if he was a FA after this year with the 4 million dollar buyout. So as long as he continues to perform reasonably well, I'd guess he's the guy.

And yes, he has been hurt most of the season.

Well obviously I would assume he'd been dealing with something all year, but he hadn't been on the DL when I suggested it. If you're going by this logic then Braun has been hurt all year as have most everyone who's over the age of 30. The point is, assuming he can come back, he's been productive this year while dealing with his injuries which have been chronic over the past 5 years or so. If he was completely healthy, he'd likely be an everyday player with a huge deal. We just need some PH appearances out of him and to play 1st base for us(and 3rd in a pinch).

At this point though we'll have to wait and see how his knee is. But he'd likely cost next to nothing in terms of salary or prospects.

Briggs, why would Oak/Balt go and pick up Weeks if Prado can be had? If I'm them, I'd trade for Prado first and Weeks would only be an option if Prado was traded away already....Same thing goes in line with Zobrist. Those two are going to be sought after well before Weeks is. Unless Milwaukee has a far to low a price tag in what they ask for Weeks.

I doubt Oakland wants to add 22 million over the next 2 years for Prado or give up the prospects it'd take to get Zobrist while Weeks would likely be much cheaper provided they could get a utility IF'er who is RH'ed to platoon with Gennett.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I think I read on MLBTR that Parra isn't in discussion to be traded. He may not be a big name but he actually is. Because he's a Gold Glove winner(the Year Braun had deserving Stats to be) Arizona would be foolish to sell low on him. At Minimum I'd say he's easily worth Jungmann in trade Probably + with Jungmann.

Both Prado and Zobrist will command a decent return. Weeks won't. Oakland's showed it's focus is on this year. Period.

Unless Milwaukee has a far to low a price tag in what they ask for Weeks.

If Milwaukee decides to trade Weeks, the price tag will be for the other team to pick up his salary. The Brewers won't likely get any significant players back. Therefore, the only way Milwaukee trades Weeks is if they're sure they have a better MLB option than Weeks available.

Picking up Prado would probably qualify, and essentially they would give Weeks to another team for salary relief to help defer the additional cost of Prado. Prado would be our main 1B, with Reynolds starting at 1B against lefties, when Prado would move over to 2B. However, Prado (a career .766 OPS guy) is sporting a .685 OPS so far this season. I have no idea what's going on with him, but he's not a clear-cut offensive upgrade over what we currently have. He gives us some position flexibility, which would be nice, but he could end up being a bad contract we're stuck with for a while.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

• 3 weeks later...
Out here in Arizona they are saying the Diamondbacks are heavily shopping Addison Reed. I wouldn't mind picking him up, he's got decent numbers, and to be honest I have no faith in K-Rod to last the entire season as a reliable closer.

For a very small price I'd take Reed. He's an OK reliever, but there are issues (he's a fly-ball pitcher). We need a right-handed reliever.

If K-Rod blows up, the season is probably over anyways. That said, if he needs to be replaced, I'd just put Smith, Gorzy, Thornburg (when healthy), Jeffress, or Henderson back there. It's just an inning of relief work. We don't need to pick up a guy from the pool of guys that have "done it before." I'd rather just put a good reliever in and not worry about that mythical "closer experience."

At this point, Smith, Thornburg, etc. are all better relievers than Reed...so if an MLB team is tied to the idea of a closer and K-Rod is out of that role, I'd rather it just be the best pitcher, not some guy just because somebody else pigeon-holed him into the 9th.

To put it in perspective, how this comes full circle for Ariz. I said above, I think Prado is the Dbacks 3b moving on to next season. They traded away Matt Davidson(the future at 3b) for...Addison Reed. Davidson was a top 80 prospect at the time. He's struggled in the White Sox' AAA triple slash line-wise, but still maintained his Power numbers.

Reed comes with quite a bit of team control still remaining. He's not going to come at a small price. Not imo. Probably asking for a top100 prospect in return, or at least a minors guy who has future top 100 potential(like Arcia/Coulter/Taylor)

Personally, I don't think Reed is special anymore. He's doesn't appear to be a shutdown RP. Rather just an arm with closer experience. His FIP is 4.55 while carrying a 3.89 ERA as closer. 9HRs given up. I want to say, Reed feels to me a lot like how I feel about Henderson. A non-closer who's pitched in that role and really isn't great at it.

For a very small price I'd take Reed. He's an OK reliever, but there are issues (he's a fly-ball pitcher). We need a right-handed reliever.

If K-Rod blows up, the season is probably over anyways. That said, if he needs to be replaced, I'd just put Smith, Gorzy, Thornburg (when healthy), Jeffress, or Henderson back there. It's just an inning of relief work. We don't need to pick up a guy from the pool of guys that have "done it before." I'd rather just put a good reliever in and not worry about that mythical "closer experience."

At this point, Smith, Thornburg, etc. are all better relievers than Reed...so if an MLB team is tied to the idea of a closer and K-Rod is out of that role, I'd rather it just be the best pitcher, not some guy just because somebody else pigeon-holed him into the 9th.

http://i.minus.com/ibqFBgVNUcZm4K.gif

YOU CAN'T JUST SAY THINGS LIKE THAT! THIS IS BASEBALL!!!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Ive never been a Parra fan since his little snakebite gestures during the 2011 NLDS, but hes a big fan favorite here in Phoenix. Hes not a horrible bat either, but I think his price tag is likely too high
Formerly AirShuttle6104

How about a Prado and Ziegler package deal? Would the D'Backs be interested in some combination of Schafer, Jungmann, Haniger, or Roache if we take on Prado's entire contract?

Dbacks are unwilling to part with Ziegler. Schafer has very little to no trade value less than Weeks actually. A sign and trade of Yuni would bring back more than what Schafer could bring back. Jungman alone would be an overpay for Prado and Ziegler.

Jungman alone would be an overpay for Prado and Ziegler.

Wow...Seriously? Has Prado fallen that far or do you value Jungmann that much?

Pitching prospects even low pitching prospects like Jungmann are at a premium. Plus Prado really has fallen that far and his contract is only going to get worse from here on out though it is not all that bad.

http://i.minus.com/ibqFBgVNUcZm4K.gif

YOU CAN'T JUST SAY THINGS LIKE THAT! THIS IS BASEBALL!!!

LOL! That GIF is hilarious...

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Archived