Brewer Fanatic

Olmsted released, returns to Red Sox

markedman5

In the thread last year when everyone was pumped over the signing I said there was a reason this guy had spent so much time in the minors and never gotten called up. I'm not saying I told you so but people really need to temper their expectations on players who have spent their whole career in the minors.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'm not saying I told you so

Yes, thanks for not saying it... :rolleyes

No one thought he was suddenly going to become our ace starter. We picked up a reliever with control issues and lots of talent. Plenty of guys like this have become good MLB players and plenty have become DFA fodder. This one became the latter.

But don't mistake people's enthusiasm for picking up some talent (for free) with unrealistic expectations. Our farm system is poor and we pickup lots of MiLB talent that has little to no chance at making an MLB roster. So yes, its nice to pick up a guy that might have a decent shot once in a while.

Too bad he didn't put it together. Moving on and hoping for the next decent waiver wire pickup.

When was the last time we took a cast off and turned him into a productive major league pitcher? Axford doesn't count, since he fixed himself, we only get credit for scouting him.

Would Chris Naverson be the answer? Or Marco Estrada?

Surprised we gave up on this guy after only one year. I know he was horrible last year, but arms like that don't grow on trees, and we don't exactly have a full boat of blue chippers down on the farm.

When was the last time we took a cast off and turned him into a productive major league pitcher? Axford doesn't count, since he fixed himself, we only get credit for scouting him.

Would Chris Naverson be the answer? Or Marco Estrada?

Surprised we gave up on this guy after only one year. I know he was horrible last year, but arms like that don't grow on trees, and we don't exactly have a full boat of blue chippers down on the farm.

Actually Lee Tunnell did quite a bit of work with Axford on his mechanics, which is how he gained velocity and enough control to make a difference initially in Milwaukee.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Axford, Henderson and Kintzler just recently.

Seems like we will have quite a full pen down in AAA after the club cuts down to 25, so it was probably numbers. I assume he hadn't shown increased control this spring, or they probably would have waited.

Michael Olmsted has agreed to terms on a minor league deal with the Red Sox and will be in minor league camp with the team upon completion of a physical, according to Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish. The 26-year-old struggled with command and posted a 5.82 ERA in his first taste of Triple-A last season but has a 3.02 career ERA in the minors as a whole to go along with a gaudy 11.1 K/9 rate and a serviceable 3.7 BB/9 rate.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

In the thread last year when everyone was pumped over the signing I said there was a reason this guy had spent so much time in the minors and never gotten called up. I'm not saying I told you so but people really need to temper their expectations on players who have spent their whole career in the minors.

Well...you kinda are saying I told you so, but I'm not sure what it was you "told us."

And I don't have expectations for young pitchers like Olmsted. I have hope for them. I am encouraged by their ceilings and their potential. That's pretty much it.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Archived