Brewer Fanatic

What do you think of our Wang? Slot Worthy?

lcbj68c
My hope is they won't use him as a closer this year. Wang throws strikes also throws BP.

You have 73 posts here and 5 of them are repeated fear-mongoring posts about Wang. Why? He doesn't throw BP and saying so is quite frankly and blatantly dishonest. 2 home runs allowed in nearly 50 innings. BP is indicative of home runs...and monster ones at that. Wang is a talented young man. There hasn't been any conversation regarding him as a closer, but I guess I wouldn't mind a guy that can throw strikes as a closer...unless you like Turnbow/Axford types closing out ballgames for you? Get off our wang!

Yeah Wang doesn't throw BP that is more Duke's role on this team.

Are you Wang's brother?

Duke does have a lower ERA than Wang this spring. It is going to be interesting when Gorzelanny comes back. Duke will probably be odd man out unless he's performing.

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you Wang's brother?

Duke does have a lower ERA than Wang this spring. It is going to be interesting when Gorzelanny comes back. Duke will probably be odd man out unless he's performing.

No but Dukes average FB velocity is 88 mph that is Jeff Suppan like. Wang on the other hand his average FB sits around 92 mph and peaks at 95. Again Duke is a LOOGY and nothing more unless you want to see BP. Wang has shown he can get right handed batters out and his stuff is far better than Dukes. Just watching Wang pitch would tell you that Wang is the better pitcher now.

Wei-Chung Wang is a unique case in many respects. While it's true he has never pitched above the Rookie League level, he did pitch professionally overseas, and he was only subject to the Rule 5 Draft this year because of a technicality. He had agreed to a 350K bonus with Pittsburgh, but then ligament damage was found in his elbow and that deal was nixed. Wang then signed a new deal, which forced Pittsburgh to either add him to their 40-man or expose him to the Rule 5 this year, when they otherwise would not have had to.

Pittsburgh has the number one ranked farm system in baseball right now, and Wang was all the way down in Rookie Ball, after Tommy John surgery, they have several more advanced prospects they had to protect, so they rolled the dice.

The Brewers took a chance because the kid has a great arm, but you can't fault Pittsburgh for trying to sneak him through, he was way down their list, after an injury, I'm sure they hoped no one would be willing to keep a guy like that for this entire season.

Pittsburgh did not leave their Wang unprotected because he isn't talented, or because they lost faith in him as a prospect, and the Brewers didn't select him as some sort of stunt. It took a list of unique circumstances for this player to be made available, and if he proves he can get MLB hitters out this year, the Brewers will have a great find.

When one team's farm system is ranked #1, and the other team's is ranked #29....stuff like this might happen.

Are you Wang's brother?

No but Dukes average FB velocity is 88 mph that is Jeff Suppan like. Wang on the other hand his average FB sits around 92 mph and peaks at 95. Again Duke is a LOOGY and nothing more unless you want to see BP. Wang has shown he can get right handed batters out and his stuff is far better than Dukes. Just watching Wang pitch would tell you that Wang is the better pitcher now.

Duke wasn't really competing with Wang. Duke's job is to get a lefty hitters out late in close games. He's a key member of the pen at least until Gorzelanny returns. The ultimate goal for Wang is for him to develop into a starter. If he does manage to survive this year, he'll be back in minors as a starter next season. I seriously doubt we'll see a ton of innings (over under for me is about 33) from Wang this year. He'll be used for an inning here and there in blowouts, maybe soak up some innings when the starter gets knocked out real early and be the last guy in when they run out of pitchers in extra innings. Then he'll likely go to winter ball.

• 2 weeks later...

it's frustrating how the brewers haven't given wang an audition yet. although it may be at least three weeks away, tom gorzelanny is expected to be activated from the disabled list.

the brewers need to figure out what they have in wang well before gorzelanny returns.

it's frustrating how the brewers haven't given wang an audition yet. although it may be at least three weeks away, tom gorzelanny is expected to be activated from the disabled list.

the brewers need to figure out what they have in wang well before gorzelanny returns.

I'm glad the Brewers haven't used Wang. It means they have yet to be hopelessly behind in a game nor have they had an overworked pen that needed rest. Plus if he did well, it might increase Pittsburgh's asking price and I still don't buy the intention of keeping him all season. I think they love Wang but he'd be at Brevard or Huntsville if they could send him down. My guess is they've given Pittsburgh some names that they'd be willing to offer so they can keep him and then send him down and that the Pirates are scouting those guys as we speak.

I'm glad the Brewers haven't used Wang. It means they have yet to be hopelessly behind in a game nor have they had an overworked pen that needed rest. Plus if he did well, it might increase Pittsburgh's asking price and I still don't buy the intention of keeping him all season. I think they love Wang but he'd be at Brevard or Huntsville if they could send him down. My guess is they've given Pittsburgh some names that they'd be willing to offer so they can keep him and then send him down and that the Pirates are scouting those guys as we speak.

The Brewers cannot simply keep Wang (through an immediate trade with the Pirates) and send him to Brevard/Huntsville. The Brewers have not given any names to the Pirates and shown their hand as to who they'd be willing to part with. In order for Wang to spend any part of 2014 in Huntsville or Brevard would take WAIVING Wang, not being claimed by the other 28 teams AND Pittsburg declining to put him back in their own minor league system for 25K.

I don't think the Brewers INTEND to keep Wang on the roster all season, but that's because I think they will DL him after the 90 days of service time is complete. No trade is imminent and CANNOT be completed until after he clears WAIVERS and Pittsburg says, "No, we don't want him back for 25K, we'd rather take one of your A-ballers who isn't even on your own 40-man roster"

I guess I don't see the point of having him on the roster if we're not comfortable putting him in for a 9th inning with a 6 run lead. Or a 5 run lead. Those seem like relatively low pressure spots and if he gets in trouble, you can always bring the closer in at that point.

If he's only going to pitch in extreme blowouts, it's just a waste of a MLB roster spot. We're essentially playing every game with 24 guys.

Both of those big leads happened with one out in the top half of the inning. Someone else was already warming up. Last night the next 2 outs happened quickly and Henderson was probably somewhat rushed warming up once Frankie sat down. It could have happened that way the game before too. Wang isn't used to that, there's no rushing in spring training and he's been a starter. I don't think it sets him up for success to be rushed warming up before his first appearance.

the brewers could start wang in a game (perhaps against an interleague foe where a loss doesn't mean a win for a wild card competitor) and pull him after one inning. the reliever would be the normal starting pitcher (who could then be expected to pitch into the 7th or 8th inning).

Has his picture started showing up on milk cartons in the Milwaukee area yet?

From RRR's quotes, it sounds like he will only go in during a blow-out loss. So I guess it's the rest of the team's fault for playing too well.

It's a viscous circle.

Ron won't know how good he is until he gives up some runs. He won't give up runs until he gets into a game. He won't get into games unless it's a blow out loss. It won't be a blowout loss because the team is so good. HOW WILL WE EVER KNOW HOW GOOD HE IS IF THE TEAM IS SO GOOD!!!

Ron's circu-idiot-lar logic.

I can understand the logic of putting him in when the team is behind 4 runs or more in a game at this point. Just to get his feet wet see how he does and go on from his performance when to use him again.

There's a good chance this was told to Wang from the beginning, and with the Boston series who could predict we'd win all 3 games and not be blown out in at least one of them? My guess is if the team is down 4runs or more by the 5th inning, he's going to be the guy to come in and mop up til his spot comes up in the batting order.(Who knows, maybe the guy even takes an AB since he's a projected SP in the future)

It's going to be fun to see how he gets used at this point and for how many outs.

It'll also be a helluva sign if its like I said he's the guy in the 5th/6th inning who comes in when 4+ behind and he's pitching 2 maybe even 3ip and doing so, well that if that truly becomes his role, the offensive side of the team seeing him do well could feel confident to rally back and win one for their Wang.

I'll just say that whatever strategy involves only pitching a promising young pitcher in a blowout loss is friggen dumb. If he's not getting regular bullpen work how's going to improve as a pitcher? Side sessions with the pitching coach? Are they even doing that?

Toss the kid out there and let's see what he can do, is 1 inning really going to torpedo every possible Brewer's victory? Because he's a rookie, and hasn't pitched above A ball, he's destined to fail? Even the Twins pitched Santana enough to get him 86 innings over 30 games (5 starts) in 2000. If he's on the roster you have to use him to keep progressing as a player, it's really that simple.

I'm sure Wang is fine being on a MLB roster and all of the perks that come with it, but if you don't use you him then you are essentially blowing a year of his service time for nothing, and the roster is already short handed as is.

If Milwaukee isn't going to use him then they have no trade leverage at all. Pittsburgh knows that the Brewers keeping him around is handicapping the roster and they also know that they can get him back for basically nothing. The Pirates can demand whatever they want in trade and it would likely be more than the Brewers would or should give up for a rule V pickup. Pitt is absolutely loaded with talent up and down their minor league chain, they don't need him anywhere near as much as the Brewers do who are short on impact pitching, the Pirates are holding all the cards here.

The Brewers should have learned something from the way they handled the Enrique Cruz situation.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I think if you look at what happened in the last couple of games, Kintzler already warming up (4/8) and trying to get Henderson squared away (4/8,4/9) it is understandable.

I also think they probably want to get as good a look at everyone before they have to make the Gorzy coming off DL decision. So we may not see Wang for who knows how long.

But there is still a ton of season left, and I'm sure he will get enough work in before the season is over will probably be up to at least Tim Dillard level of use.

I'll just say that whatever strategy involves only pitching a promising young pitcher in a blowout loss is friggen dumb. If he's not getting regular bullpen work how's going to improve as a pitcher? Side sessions with the pitching coach? Are they even doing that?

Toss the kid out there and let's see what he can do, is 1 inning really going to torpedo every possible Brewer's victory? Because he's a rookie, and hasn't pitched above A ball, he's destined to fail? Even the Twins pitched Santana enough to get him 86 innings over 30 games (5 starts) in 2000. If he's on the roster you have to use him to keep progressing as a player, it's really that simple.

I'm sure Wang is fine being on a MLB roster and all of the perks that come with it, but if you don't use you him then you are essentially blowing a year of his service time for nothing, and the roster is already short handed as is.

If Milwaukee isn't going to use him then they have no trade leverage at all. Pittsburgh knows that the Brewers keeping him around is handicapping the roster and they also know that they can get him back for basically nothing. The Pirates can demand whatever they want in trade and it would likely be more than the Brewers would or should give up for a rule V pickup. Pitt is absolutely loaded with talent up and down their minor league chain, they don't need him anywhere near as much as the Brewers do who are short on impact pitching, the Pirates are holding all the cards here.

The Brewers should have learned something from the way they handled the Enrique Cruz situation.

Exactly. The fact that he hasn't pitched yet is ridiculous. Bring him in to face a lefty at the bottom of the order or something. Has he even warmed up?

theyre just saving him to pitch against the pirates

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'll just say that whatever strategy involves only pitching a promising young pitcher in a blowout loss is friggen dumb.

You put this about as effectively as anyone.

RRR will say he doesn't want to put Wang into a tough situation because he doesn't want him to fail. But rotting on the bench isn't going to do a thing for Wang or the Crew. When Wang comes in, he's going to be horribly rusty from not playing. He'll then do poorly, which will only reinforce the notion that Wang can't be trusted, so he continue to never play, sucking each time because of disuse.

If the team wants to contend this year, they can't stash a guy on the roster who won't contribute. That's just ridiculous. It might be a different story if we were Houston.

Just let the guy play. I'm not saying use him as the closer, but he's got to get the chance to show us something or this will just turn into the season's big joke.

There have been at least two spots to use him. But, I do understand the reasoning of why he was not used. It seems Henderson is 'back' now taking the couple of spots Wang could have had.

Honestly, Wang should be at least trotted out for the ONE LEFTIE BATTER once in a while. If the Brewers continue to win 80% of games by 2 to 4 runs, then Wang will never be seen, unless RRR does one batter thing.

I almost find myself hoping for a melt down by a starter of ours to see Wang pitch. Only almost.

Given Henderson need not be worked into form anymore, Wang will get a go. The Crew will lose a game a week on average. So Wang can pitch once a week for 3 or 4 innings, I guess.

I almost find myself hoping for a melt down by a starter of ours to see Wang pitch. Only almost.

I do want to see a starter melt down. I wouldn't mind seeing Lynn melt down on Monday letting Wang pitch the 8th and/or 9th up by 15 :)

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Archived