Brewer Fanatic

What do you think of our Wang? Slot Worthy?

lcbj68c

He is the perfect Rule 5 player to add to your team because you can get your IP out of him in times you don't need a 3ERA guy to be on the mound, where 5ERA is okay. Livan Hernandez was that player 2 years ago for cripes sake!

Now you're just letting reason get it in the way! Why would anyone suggest giving away (trade) EVEN MORE value to another team for something we already have?!?

Sometimes runs will be given up without a guy struggling, which was the case in Wang's start. He's still far more valuable than Duke, both today and seasons beyond.

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Should Wang get a roster spot? NO! Yesterday he faced the first legitimate lineup in his career. Gave up 3 runs. I would say that his ERA, if he stays will be above 5 and all of a sudden all those so called experts that loved Wang will be scratching their heads...hope I'm wrong but that's how I see it. If I'm wrong, I'll be the first one to admit it. The Brewers have guys in double and triple A that could perform the same way Wang did in spring training (Small sample size and not facing the best hitters) plus they have put in the time and extended training needed to get to the next level. I personally think its BS that Wang is given the Golden Ticket opportunity before organizational guys that have put in the time. Sometimes it just comes down to dollars and sense (cents changeup). IMHO keeping him on the 25 man roster makes no sense. I have no problem trading for him. If you're going to trade for him, put him in Wisconsin and let's see how he does before crowning him the Rule 5 pick of the decade.

I think you're looking at this the wrong way. The guys in AA/AAA you mention aren't with the kind of upside Wang possesses. Those AA/AAA guys you mention are Lefty RPs strictly. The Brewers don't have a legitimate LH SP in the system in all honesty. Wang, after his 60IP or so this year of being even at 5ERA...Heck to me 6.5ERA would be cool by me just for the fact that the team then gains a LH SP that is immediately the best in the organization. You want to dump that opportunity for AA/AAA guys who's ceiling is that of LH RP?

And the idea of trading with Pittsburgh to me honestly, if I'm them, not happening. If I were to jokingly consider it being Pittsburgh I'd be asking for either Wily Peralta or Will Smith for Wang. Pittsburgh has nothing but time to develop Wang. The only way you entice them to trade him is to give up SPs that are ready today of Wang's potential who have decent team control. So no to Lohse/Estrada/Gallardo/ and Garza. It would only be Peralta/Smith. I don't see Thornburg being an upgrade to Pittsburgh's Staff this year/future as Peralta or Smith can.

So the answer to get the best LH SP in the Brewers organization is to stick Wang on your 25man for this entire season and use him out of the bullpen. There will be plenty of occasions to toss him out there for a LH matchup or pitch him 2-3ip in long relief in a situation where the score is out of hand. He won't be a waste of space. He is the perfect Rule 5 player to add to your team because you can get your IP out of him in times you don't need a 3ERA guy to be on the mound, where 5ERA is okay. Livan Hernandez was that player 2 years ago for cripes sake!

So what I hear most people saying is that the Brewers are so bad that they need to take a gulf coast league guy and put him on the 25 man roster and whatever he does, we will throw him in the minors next year and develop him? I don't think he will develop into anything one, two or three years down the line but let me pose a question? If Wang is so good, how come the pirates didn't protect him? Also, remember the Brewers have done a fantastic job of developing pitchers...NOT. I'm just not in agreement with the whole thing going forward.

If Wang is so good, how come the pirates didn't protect him?

Because they took a chance thinking that no one would take a guy whose highest level pitched was the GCL. It was worth the risk for the Pirates to leave him unprotected with their pitching depth hoping they could develop him for another year without having to protect him, just like it's worth it for the Brewers to hold onto him in the bullpen this year so we can keep him and send him back to the minors next year to hopefully develop him as a starting pitcher.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

So what I hear most people saying is that the Brewers are so bad that they need to take a gulf coast league guy and put him on the 25 man roster and whatever he does, we will throw him in the minors next year and develop him?

Pretty much, yes. The Brewers can't compete in FA and must rely on developing youngsters. That is why certain waiver wire guys and Rule 5 are followed closely.

I don't think he will develop into anything one, two or three years down the line but let me pose a question? If Wang is so good, how come the pirates didn't protect him? Also, remember the Brewers have done a fantastic job of developing pitchers...NOT.

The Pirates were in a bind on the 40-man and didn't think someone would do exactly what you are increduous about the Brewers doing. Brewers have done the same in the past but really haven't been burned by it. Perhaps the Pirates won't be burned by this either. But its fun to follow and see if we can get something for nothing.

I'm just not in agreement with the whole thing going forward.

Yes, that has been abundantly clear. Message received.

So what I hear most people saying is that the Brewers are so bad that they need to take a gulf coast league guy and put him on the 25 man roster and whatever he does, we will throw him in the minors next year and develop him? I don't think he will develop into anything one, two or three years down the line but let me pose a question? If Wang is so good, how come the pirates didn't protect him? Also, remember the Brewers have done a fantastic job of developing pitchers...NOT. I'm just not in agreement with the whole thing going forward.

So you're saying the Brewers are awful at developing pitchers, but that you'd rather go with one of the pitchers they've developed. I'm not saying Wang is guaranteed success, but he has shown enough that I'm hoping they put him on the roster, use him in low-leverage situations and see how it all plays out. You have Henderson, Rodriguez, Kintzler and Smith for the late innings and Figaro and Duke/Gorzelanny for the higher leverage multi-inning stints. If he bombs, they can always call up Wooten and either try to make a trade with Pittsburgh or just offer Wang back later, but I'm willing to take the chance on a promising lefty who doesn't walk anyone.

Is Wang worth keeping over Duke that a question you must answer. Is the future potential greater that we keep him

I don't know if the future Wang will be good. Duke hasn't been that bad as a relief pitcher as opposed to a starter. He has the experience to pitch against MLB players. On the other hand, I can see Wang having beginning success as MLB players have not seem him yet. Wang doesn't cost as much as Duke and you may be keeping Wang longer than Duke. Just bringing Wang in for mop up situations isn't going to help him. Duke is going to be better at coming in with runners on and various situations. I always look at who's going to help us win...now. I think Duke offers more now but Wang could offer more later. Flip a coin.

Is Wang worth keeping over Duke that a question you must answer. Is the future potential greater that we keep him

I actually have some faith that Wang can outperform Duke this year alone. Wang isn't like your prototypical RP.. He's shown fantastic control of the strikezone and not walking batters. Typically the difference of a RP in the position Wang is taking is that they don't possess great control but have decent 1/2 pitches. I really feel this will go very good on the season. Wang isn't your 7th/8th/9th inning pitcher. He can come in pitch against a tough lefty and exit. Or come in, during blowouts and toss a cpl innings.

Who knows, maybe the Juan Fran clearing out has some to do with Wang making the team along with all of Duke, Overbay, and Reynolds.

Either way, I've already stated, Wang coming off the bench to face LH batters or in mop up duty...You're looking for 60ip on the season from him in maybe 65-75 appearances. Our pitching staff is better with Garza and a more experienced Peralta...There should be quite a bit of 6ip with 6+ from this staff that the stress on Wang to perform just won't really be there. Now, last year? Different story where it was Lohse,Gallardo and then who at 3,4,5 to give us 6 or more ip? Remember that.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
the key comes down to is Wang as good or better than Zach Duke (or at least come close).

I think you have it backwards. It should be: Is Zach Duke clearly a better MLB pitcher than Wang? If its even remotely close, Wang wins on potential.

In comparing the 2nd lefty in a BP, just a little bit better isn't enough for me to give up on Wang's potential.

And I doubt Pittsburg accepts a trade that we would accept. Its BP or nothing.

This is a good point. The pressure is on Duke - not on Wang.

Regarding trading for Wang - I think it's a possibility. The reason is that if we elect to let Wang go, he goes on waivers. He's not just sent back to Pittsburgh. With his success this spring, I believe some other team would likely claim him and stash him on their major league roster for 2014. I don't think a team like Houston or the Cubs would have any problem taking the guy. They aren't going to win in 2014, so why not give up a roster spot in 2014 for the guy.

Thus, Pittsburgh knows Wang is not likely to clear waivers. So they might be willing to work a trade with Milwaukee so they end up with something.

Of course, Pittsburgh could just say no to a trade to deny a division rival a nice prospect, but if they can get something of value, why not. And they can't control who claims him. In their minds, letting him go to the Cubs would likely be worse than Milwaukee getting him.

So, a trade may happen in that scenario. What he would be worth is another debate.

No, we have to offer him back to Pittsburgh for $50000. No other team will get a shot. They would only accept a trade that is better for them than keeping Wang. I'm not sure if he would have to be on Pittsburgh's 40 man roster if they take him back.

baseball america says:

Any eligible player can be selected for the Rule 5 fee of $50,000 (payable to the original team) and then must be kept on a major league roster for the following season. If the player doesn’t stick, then he’s placed on waivers and—if he clears—is offered back to his original team for $25,000.

This was from oct. 2013, so perhaps things have changed.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/ask-ba-2/

its pretty incredible that a pitcher went from rookie to MLB, all thanks to a lil TJ. talk about winning the lottery for Wang. im not sure if this was mentioned, or asked, earlier, but when he signed with the Pirates, did they not do a physical prior? was it something he needed repaired but the Pirates didnt notice it until after the contract was signed?

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

its pretty incredible that a pitcher went from rookie to MLB, all thanks to a lil TJ. talk about winning the lottery for Wang. im not sure if this was mentioned, or asked, earlier, but when he signed with the Pirates, did they not do a physical prior? was it something he needed repaired but the Pirates didnt notice it until after the contract was signed?

viewtopic.php?p=872473#p872473

Per TH:

Brewers bullpen now complete. Rule 5 pick Wei-Chung Wang and Tyler Thornburg made it too.

I'm glad Wang made the cut. I do wish they would have left Wooten on the roster and let Thornburg remain a starter in Nashville. Wang and Duke can both go multiple innings, so we don't need him as a "long man," and keeping him in middle relief means he won't be stretched out when someone goes down and a starter is needed.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

My hope is they won't use him as a closer this year. Wang throws strikes also throws BP.

You have 73 posts here and 5 of them are repeated fear-mongoring posts about Wang. Why? He doesn't throw BP and saying so is quite frankly and blatantly dishonest. 2 home runs allowed in nearly 50 innings. BP is indicative of home runs...and monster ones at that. Wang is a talented young man. There hasn't been any conversation regarding him as a closer, but I guess I wouldn't mind a guy that can throw strikes as a closer...unless you like Turnbow/Axford types closing out ballgames for you? Get off our wang!

My hope is they won't use him as a closer this year. Wang throws strikes also throws BP.

You have 73 posts here and 5 of them are repeated fear-mongoring posts about Wang. Why? He doesn't throw BP and saying so is quite frankly and blatantly dishonest. 2 home runs allowed in nearly 50 innings. BP is indicative of home runs...and monster ones at that. Wang is a talented young man. There hasn't been any conversation regarding him as a closer, but I guess I wouldn't mind a guy that can throw strikes as a closer...unless you like Turnbow/Axford types closing out ballgames for you? Get off our wang!

Yeah Wang doesn't throw BP that is more Duke's role on this team.

I'm delighted that Wang made the team and I've just renewed my MLB TV subscription to watch him pitch for the Brewers. I think this is the first time the Brewers have a player of Chinese decent in my history as a Brewers fan, I'm also of Chinese descent. Btw, Wang is my mother's maiden name, it means King in Chinese.

Really hope the Brewers make the playoffs this season, they are the only team I watch and I haven't watch postseason the last two seasons.

Glad you took the time to read all my posts. thanks. Like I previously stated...If he was such a complete and absolute stud the pirates would of made the decision to put him on their 40 man...enough said...I'm done Wanging. We'll just see how it plays out over the next two to three years.

Archived