Brewer Fanatic

What do you think of our Wang? Slot Worthy?

lcbj68c
  • Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder if we can split this thread into two? One for baseball discussion. And one for the 11 year old / college fraternity gigglings.

Wow, those are some smart 11 year olds. Already in college at that age. Hope is doesn't wreck their emotional development.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Actually I meant the combined patronage of the thread... the 11 years olds + those in fraternities (which I guess still have 11 year old mental development).

Back to Mr Wang... when I looked at the score today I thought 'oh, good, he must have given up some runs' - so Ron can see if he has the mental toughness to pitch in the bigs. But, alas, in checking the box score he gave up NONE.

I wonder if we can split this thread into two? One for baseball discussion. And one for the 11 year old / college fraternity gigglings.

Wow, those are some smart 11 year olds. Already in college at that age. Hope is doesn't wreck their emotional development.

All we have to do is observe a one doogie howser to see how this truly harms the young mind... After all the things he has done to Harold and Kumar I fear for all these 11 year olds

"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

RR drove me nuts in the interview re Wang the other day. RR does not know what Wang is thinking - because he uses an interpreter. And RR wants to see Wang get hit around to see how he responds. So, it is important for RR to be able to Spok-Mind-Meld a pitcher's mind and/or see him pitch badly - to judge him.

I don't care if Wang speaks Martian if he rarely gives up a runs.

I assume the kid will not break down and cry if someone hits a home run off him.

RR could actually send an SMS to Wang's old coaches and ask them. The kid is actually a PROFESSIONAL and has a history. He did not win a throwing contest under the stands to get his shot.

And the article talks like keeping or offering back to Pitts is a 50/50 (or more likely offer back!).

Is baseball so, so complicated.

I must say that this is my favorite post of the spring! Yes RR drives me nuts too, but he's our RR so I'll cheer for him until he gets fired and then will give a sigh of relief and prepare to criticize the new hire!

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Ron is just an idiot. He's all the bad parts of Yost and Macha combined into one incompetent manager.

He's not a Hall of Fame manager but to compare him to Yost is a huge stretch. Yost is one of the worst managers in this generation. He's got a point about wanting to see how Wang handles adversity. What Wang has done so far in Arizona is nice, but it doesn't mean he's a major league pitcher. The intensity level between spring games and the regular season is night and day.

I saw Wang pitch and his size compared with the Major league guys is very noticeable. He has pitched remarkably well but as someone else stated his experience level was at the GCL. I think making a trade with Pittsburg and putting him in the minors is the best bet. Stick him at High A or AA and lets see how his numbers look with extended innings. I just don't see him taking a spot on the 25 man roster.

Ron is just an idiot. He's all the bad parts of Yost and Macha combined into one incompetent manager.

and this is MY favorite post of the spring...

Couldn't have said it better myself.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

The defense was pretty bad in the first, it was almost as if Roenicke put Herrera and Weeks up the middle just to see how Wang would react after they screwed up. Nobody covered home on the second run either.

still has yet to issue a walk

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Assuming we keep two lefties in the pen, the key comes down to is Wang as good or better than Zach Duke (or at least come close). If the answer is 'yes', than it's a no brainer - we keep him. He has upside, which the club lacks.

Duke's numbers in camp have been okay, but nothing amazing. I'd love him to stick around at AAA and continue transitioning to being a full time reliever. He would be nice insurance. But I'm not going to cry if he leaves.

the key comes down to is Wang as good or better than Zach Duke (or at least come close).

I think you have it backwards. It should be: Is Zach Duke clearly a better MLB pitcher than Wang? If its even remotely close, Wang wins on potential.

In comparing the 2nd lefty in a BP, just a little bit better isn't enough for me to give up on Wang's potential.

And I doubt Pittsburg accepts a trade that we would accept. Its BP or nothing.

the key comes down to is Wang as good or better than Zach Duke (or at least come close).

I think you have it backwards. It should be: Is Zach Duke clearly a better MLB pitcher than Wang? If its even remotely close, Wang wins on potential.

In comparing the 2nd lefty in a BP, just a little bit better isn't enough for me to give up on Wang's potential.

This is a good point. The pressure is on Duke - not on Wang.

Regarding trading for Wang - I think it's a possibility. The reason is that if we elect to let Wang go, he goes on waivers. He's not just sent back to Pittsburgh. With his success this spring, I believe some other team would likely claim him and stash him on their major league roster for 2014. I don't think a team like Houston or the Cubs would have any problem taking the guy. They aren't going to win in 2014, so why not give up a roster spot in 2014 for the guy.

Thus, Pittsburgh knows Wang is not likely to clear waivers. So they might be willing to work a trade with Milwaukee so they end up with something.

Of course, Pittsburgh could just say no to a trade to deny a division rival a nice prospect, but if they can get something of value, why not. And they can't control who claims him. In their minds, letting him go to the Cubs would likely be worse than Milwaukee getting him.

So, a trade may happen in that scenario. What he would be worth is another debate.

This is a good point. The pressure is on Duke - not on Wang.

Regarding trading for Wang - I think it's a possibility. The reason is that if we elect to let Wang go, he goes on waivers. He's not just sent back to Pittsburgh. With his success this spring, I believe some other team would likely claim him and stash him on their major league roster for 2014. I don't think a team like Houston or the Cubs would have any problem taking the guy. They aren't going to win in 2014, so why not give up a roster spot in 2014 for the guy.

Thus, Pittsburgh knows Wang is not likely to clear waivers. So they might be willing to work a trade with Milwaukee so they end up with something.

Of course, Pittsburgh could just say no to a trade to deny a division rival a nice prospect, but if they can get something of value, why not. And they can't control who claims him. In their minds, letting him go to the Cubs would likely be worse than Milwaukee getting him.

So, a trade may happen in that scenario. What he would be worth is another debate.

No, we have to offer him back to Pittsburgh for $50000. No other team will get a shot. They would only accept a trade that is better for them than keeping Wang. I'm not sure if he would have to be on Pittsburgh's 40 man roster if they take him back.

Should Wang get a roster spot? NO! Yesterday he faced the first legitimate lineup in his career. Gave up 3 runs. I would say that his ERA, if he stays will be above 5 and all of a sudden all those so called experts that loved Wang will be scratching their heads...hope I'm wrong but that's how I see it. If I'm wrong, I'll be the first one to admit it. The Brewers have guys in double and triple A that could perform the same way Wang did in spring training (Small sample size and not facing the best hitters) plus they have put in the time and extended training needed to get to the next level. I personally think its BS that Wang is given the Golden Ticket opportunity before organizational guys that have put in the time. Sometimes it just comes down to dollars and sense (cents changeup). IMHO keeping him on the 25 man roster makes no sense. I have no problem trading for him. If you're going to trade for him, put him in Wisconsin and let's see how he does before crowning him the Rule 5 pick of the decade.

No, we have to offer him back to Pittsburgh for $50000. No other team will get a shot. They would only accept a trade that is better for them than keeping Wang. I'm not sure if he would have to be on Pittsburgh's 40 man roster if they take him back.

I'm pretty sure he does not need to be on Pitt's 40 man, since he wasn't in the first place (hence the Rule 5 selection).

Should Wang get a roster spot? NO! Yesterday he faced the first legitimate lineup in his career. Gave up 3 runs. I would say that his ERA, if he stays will be above 5 and all of a sudden all those so called experts that loved Wang will be scratching their heads...hope I'm wrong but that's how I see it. If I'm wrong, I'll be the first one to admit it. The Brewers have guys in double and triple A that could perform the same way Wang did in spring training (Small sample size and not facing the best hitters) plus they have put in the time and extended training needed to get to the next level. I personally think its BS that Wang is given the Golden Ticket opportunity before organizational guys that have put in the time. Sometimes it just comes down to dollars and sense (cents changeup). IMHO keeping him on the 25 man roster makes no sense. I have no problem trading for him. If you're going to trade for him, put him in Wisconsin and let's see how he does before crowning him the Rule 5 pick of the decade.

I think you're looking at this the wrong way. The guys in AA/AAA you mention aren't with the kind of upside Wang possesses. Those AA/AAA guys you mention are Lefty RPs strictly. The Brewers don't have a legitimate LH SP in the system in all honesty. Wang, after his 60IP or so this year of being even at 5ERA...Heck to me 6.5ERA would be cool by me just for the fact that the team then gains a LH SP that is immediately the best in the organization. You want to dump that opportunity for AA/AAA guys who's ceiling is that of LH RP?

And the idea of trading with Pittsburgh to me honestly, if I'm them, not happening. If I were to jokingly consider it being Pittsburgh I'd be asking for either Wily Peralta or Will Smith for Wang. Pittsburgh has nothing but time to develop Wang. The only way you entice them to trade him is to give up SPs that are ready today of Wang's potential who have decent team control. So no to Lohse/Estrada/Gallardo/ and Garza. It would only be Peralta/Smith. I don't see Thornburg being an upgrade to Pittsburgh's Staff this year/future as Peralta or Smith can.

So the answer to get the best LH SP in the Brewers organization is to stick Wang on your 25man for this entire season and use him out of the bullpen. There will be plenty of occasions to toss him out there for a LH matchup or pitch him 2-3ip in long relief in a situation where the score is out of hand. He won't be a waste of space. He is the perfect Rule 5 player to add to your team because you can get your IP out of him in times you don't need a 3ERA guy to be on the mound, where 5ERA is okay. Livan Hernandez was that player 2 years ago for cripes sake!

Archived