Brewer Fanatic

What do you think of our Wang? Slot Worthy?

lcbj68c
  • Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Since Thornberg is our #6 starter and one of our best prospects, he will be needed as a starter at some point this season. I hope they keep him stretched out at AAA, eliminating one of the competitors for a bullpen spot.

Generally, "long relievers" are hidden for extended periods at a time and then brought in when the game is out of hand. It doesn't really matter if that pitcher is any good or not, as he's simply there to get the team through a few innings to avoid tiring out the rest of the bullpen. With two lefties ahead of him, he shouldn't be needed in high pressure situations, so why not keep him as the last reliever/long man. If he shows he can't cut it and is hurting the team, they could send him back to Pitt or work out a trade so they can send him to the minors, but I'd like to see him break camp with the Brewers.

Also, we could finally have a few relievers with options, giving us the flexibility to send some guys down / bring other guys up when the bullpen gets abused for a couple days straight. This could help us "hide" the 12th man a little easier.

Joe Kelly was in a similar situation as Thornburg last year for the Cardinals. They used him in the pen very effectively and when needed he slid right into the rotation. He was on a pitch count for couple of starts, then was fine. To me Thornburg is easily one of the 12 best pitchers they have and should be on the major league roster.

As for Wang, I'd work out a deal with Pittsburgh and send him to AA to start, not relieve. Duke's shown enough to be 2nd lefty while Gorzelanny is on DL. Pittsburgh is still looking for a LH bat to platoon at 1B. Send them Francisco and a low level arm for Wang. That would free up two 40 man spots with one move.

Even if Duke has an opt-out he exercises instead of going down to the minors (not sure if he does, but I'd assume so), it's worth losing Duke to keep Wang. Wang is one of the organization's better pitching prospects and it would be completely insane to basically trade him for Zach Duke.

I guess there might be an argument for optioning Smith to AAA in order to keep Duke/establish more pitching depth/keep Smith stretched out as a starter. But, we must hold on to Wang.

I like the idea of sending JuanFran to Pitts to keep Wang - if we could send him to AA to start. But in all honesty, if the guys has ice in his veins and throws strikes and has stuff, you wont hurt him having him be the last man in the pen for a year. Then next year he goes to AAA as a starter.

I am pretty sure Pitts will not work out a deal if the guy is that talented. They will want him back.

This was quite a good gamble by Doug. In fact, for years I have said you should take a pitcher in the Rule 5 and contruct your roster to keep him.. if he shows any promise. This is why I like Herrera... shortstop / outfielder. It allows a longer pen. And I am happy Gorzelany will be a couple weeks to start on the DL.

And, whilst I am on a roll, I hope the Brewers will give each pitcher a two week rest DL during the year. I am sick and tired of hearing how tired and overused the staff is. Just rotate them for R&R once during the year and bring up an AAA guy... or just keep a 13 man staff. And 1 of the 13 is on 2 week R&R one at a time.

Use leverage. He's thrown it well enough to make Pirates believe that you are prepared to keep him. You tell them that you are prepared to keep him but that you would listen to a reasonable offer. Pirates might be more than willing to take another lefty back like Bradley or Suter. From Brewer perspective Wang appears to be on a level above those two.

Why would we not just keep him instead of trying to work out a deal? He's pitching well enough to make the team. If he falters in the bigs or he's not pitching a lot and we need the spot for someone else, that's when you call the Pirates looking to deal. Don't just give away young players when you don't have to.

And, whilst I am on a roll, I hope the Brewers will give each pitcher a two week rest DL during the year. I am sick and tired of hearing how tired and overused the staff is. Just rotate them for R&R once during the year and bring up an AAA guy... or just keep a 13 man staff. And 1 of the 13 is on 2 week R&R one at a time.

I like this idea a lot. I would extend that to the starters as well. Especially with Garza who's struggled with injuries the last couple of years. Obviously it would depend on the situation, but if he's healthy and pitching well, but he's starting to deal with normal fatigue that he'd normally pitch through, I would be in favor of sending him to the 15 day and bringing up Thornburg. Could serve two purposes. You could give your starters some rest, in particular Lohse who's obviously older and Gallardo who clearly didn't have as much life in his arm last year after the WBC and only seemed to get it back after the ASB and a 8 day layoff. Assuming everything is going well, rotate them through. Not "scheduled," per say, but planned trips. As long as Thornburg is pitching well, it's a little bit out of the box type of idea that COULD give the rotation a little bit more life at the end of the year.

Estrada has never pitched a full season, I already mentioned the rationale for Yo, Lohse and Garza and Peralta is still a young arm that I'd like to baby just a little bit before totally unleashing him(not that he isn't ready as he's pitched 150-172-183 innings the past 3 years).

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Why would we not just keep him instead of trying to work out a deal? He's pitching well enough to make the team. If he falters in the bigs or he's not pitching a lot and we need the spot for someone else, that's when you call the Pirates looking to deal. Don't just give away young players when you don't have to.

Right. Why would the Brewers take a player they at least know SOMETHING about like Wang who's performed very well and has a great arm and try and leverage a player they know very little about from the Pirates?

Just keep Wang and hope you hit gold. There will be a rough patch. I just hope the Brewers don't give up on him too quickly.

Between Wang and Smith, the Brewers MIGHT have added two potential very good starters down the road. Two left handed power arms...something we've been lacking for some time.

Making a trade with the Pirates means we get to put Wang in the minors. That delays his payday by a year.

I think I'd rather keep him in the bigs & worry about anything else later. His arm belongs at the big-league level.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Making a trade with the Pirates means we get to put Wang in the minors. That delays his payday by a year.

There comes a point where fans really can get to obsessed over arbitration numbers.

We're talking about a rule 5 draftee who's never pitched above rookie ball. Putting him in the minors is a good reason to trade FOR him if he doesn't make the team, but this is depending on the Pirates being willing to make the trade and I would suspect they probably wouldn't want to.

RR drove me nuts in the interview re Wang the other day. RR does not know what Wang is thinking - because he uses an interpreter. And RR wants to see Wang get hit around to see how he responds. So, it is important for RR to be able to Spok-Mind-Meld a pitcher's mind and/or see him pitch badly - to judge him.

I don't care if Wang speaks Martian if he rarely gives up a runs.

I assume the kid will not break down and cry if someone hits a home run off him.

RR could actually send an SMS to Wang's old coaches and ask them. The kid is actually a PROFESSIONAL and has a history. He did not win a throwing contest under the stands to get his shot.

And the article talks like keeping or offering back to Pitts is a 50/50 (or more likely offer back!).

Is baseball so, so complicated.

If he gets hit around that just makes it that much more likely that he doesn't make the team, which Roenicke probably wants because he doesn't have gritty veteraneyness. The good news is Duke pitched the 9th inning today and gave up 3 runs without recording an out.

Archived