Brewer Fanatic

What do you think of our Wang? Slot Worthy?

lcbj68c
  • Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

~~~ Again ~~~

It feels like I'm repeating myself, but the only ways Wang can be off Milwaukee's 25-man roster:

1) He is waived and claimed by another club.

2) He is traded to any club, however that club MUST keep Wang on their own 25man roster.

3) He is waived and not claimed by another club and Pittsburg takes him back for $25k, placing him into their own minor league system.

4) He is waived, not taken by another club & Pittsburg declines to take him back for the measley 25k and instead allows Milwaukee to keep him in exchange for something else of value.

5) He is placed on the 15day or 60day DL. However, he would need 90 days of service time on the active roster over two years if placed on the DL. He has 63 days already.

If making that much now means you lose more later maybe it isn't so cut and dried.

Not only are you assuming that a 22 year old kid is willing to give up half a million dollars and would prefer to pitch in the minor leagues(when he's repeatedly said that making the Brewers was a dream come true) but you're making an assumption that this is going to cost him in the future.

Again, having major league coaches working with him, being around successful major league pitchers, and throwing simulated games may not be as good as pitching every 5th day in the minors, but it is certainly helpful and it may very well prove beneficial when he goes back down to the minors.

Either way, I don't think it's reasonable that Wang would rather be making the the pittance a player in Brevard County as opposed to 500K because you believe that he may believe it may cost him money next year.

If you go back and read the protocol for being on the DL they also have to update the progress as they go. The idea that we can hide him for more than a month for a dead arm diagnosis, all the while giving him the same workload as he is getting now, stretches credibility.

First of all, who said anything about giving him the same workload they're giving him now while he was on a minor league stint? Second, please show me in the "protocol," where it says that a pitcher can't spend 30 days in the minors? Stretches credibility? It's a reality. I'm curious why you're not questioning Henderson's DL stint? What's the diagnoses on him? His shoulder hurts. Nothing structural. The flaw in your assumptions here, aside from the past history is the fact that this is an inexact science.

How often does anything in any sport that is both against the rules and, as you claim, widespread never have a single incident of someone getting caught? Let alone nobody ever being so much as accused of it. You seem to be saying that is because it is sort of accepted practice. I just don't see that as realistic. People who are going to stretch the rules tend to eventually stretch them to the breaking point. Hell on this board alone someone suggests a player get a phantom injury almost every single year. If teams routinely do that just to hide players who would normally be exposed to other teams we should defiantly see a significantly higher number of non traceable injuries for players who are out of options. We should also at least hear of cases where other teams accuse other teams of doing it. As far as I can tell that is not the case. The fact that not even Mr. Conspiracy theorist himself Tony LaRussa accused anyone of it should tell you how little it happens.

Wait, the fact that Tony LaRussa has never accused anyone of(I'm actually not even sure what conspiracy we're talking about as we're talking about putting a player on the DL) should tell me how little it happens? I honestly don't even know how to respond to this. Nor do I know how to respond to the fact that because you say that people suggest putting people on the DL and they haven't gone means that all of the sudden Major League Baseball is going to launch an investigation into whether a 22 year old kids arm is tired or hurt.

On a common sense level how long do you think other teams would tolerate losing out on players they can use through means they know are against the rules? Combined those things lead me to believe it isn't widespread. In fact I would say it is almost nonexistent strictly based on the fact nobody so much as gets accused of it let alone caught and penalized.

I don't know, how long are teams going to tolerate players going on the DL? I suppose as soon as you can prove that someone's arm doesn't really hurt or that it's not tired, then perhaps you'll have some major blowback.

What I think contradicts your "common sense," argument is that because Major League Baseball HAS NOT penalized anyone for putting a player on the DL means that they're all the sudden going to penalize people for this.

Here's the bottom line. Diagnosing a tired or sore shoulder is an inexact science. I think it stretches credibility to think that Major League Baseball is going to launch some wide scale investigation because the Milwaukee Brewers put a 22 year old Rule 5 draft pick on the 15 day disabled list, but not only that, but that they're going to suspend and then fine the team's training staff for doing so despite the fact literally never done so in the past and it can be literally impossible to prove that a player's arm IS NOT tired and or sore.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

can we lock this thread? seems like we have about 10-15 pages of the same 5 posts right about now (some of which I'm guilty of myself), and it's pretty difficult coming up with any new insight when Wang goes 2-3 weeks between game appearances.

There won't be any trades involving Wang for international pool money, bobbleheads, or players currently starring in a disney baseball movie. There won't be any conspicuous roster magic the Brewers can pull to push Wang to the minors before the end of this season and hide it from the Rule 5 integrity police. At this point the Brewers are going to do just about anything to avoid losing him because they've kept him on the active roster for 2 full months already. Barring a rash of significant injuries to the MLB squad, Wang will be in Milwaukee for the whole season. And I'd argue that if there are that many key injuries the Brewers won't contend anyways and are better served to continue biting the bullet and keeping Wang.

Yea can we please shut this thread down. We've got to have at least one response from every person that cared to respond with their feelings on our wang. The discussion is over. You want rule V rules? Look it up, probably as much effort as asking here. Wang is a bitter pill. Swallow it and deal.

Wouldn't it be something if during an extra inning game, "due to a double switch, Wang has been put into the number two hole."

I'd pay good money just to hear Brian Anderson or Uecker say it with a straight face.

Yea can we please shut this thread down. We've got to have at least one response from every person that cared to respond with their feelings on our wang. The discussion is over. You want rule V rules? Look it up, probably as much effort as asking here. Wang is a bitter pill. Swallow it and deal.

Done. This thread has seemed to run it's course, and just going in circles, as others have noted.

A new thread can be started if folks want to discuss Wang's MLB performance specifically.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived