Brewer Fanatic

What do you think of our Wang? Slot Worthy?

lcbj68c
Patrick is right. That Roenicke needs to spend any time thinking of when and how to use this poor kid is taking away from other key decisions about this team. Being here is hurting the kid's future too. He needs to be back working at a level where he can compete. If in say 2020 he comes back to haunt the Brewers, so be it though I doubt it. What are the chances Roenicke and/Melvin will even be around in 2020? Even less I suspect than Wang's actually being successful down the road. I just don't get it.

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wang was throwing 88 to 90 mph tonight. Where was the usual 95.

Surely must be dead arm or tired arm. That is usually fixed with a 15 day DL (rest). Then a 30 say minor league build up arm strength again.

My thoughts exactly. His FB was 3-4 MPH less than normal. A 15 day DL stint followed by minor league rehab buys some more time. I want to keep Wang because he certainly has the stuff, but he's not even close to being ready to pitch in the majors.

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

Surely must be dead arm or tired arm. That is usually fixed with a 15 day DL (rest). Then a 30 say minor league build up arm strength again.

My thoughts exactly. His FB was 3-4 MPH less than normal. A 15 day DL stint followed by minor league rehab buys some more time. I want to keep Wang because he certainly has the stuff, but he's not even close to being ready to pitch in the majors.

Playing petty roster games does exactly what for this kid?? He's missing a key development year. Who's to say what is "normal" for Wang anyway? That he could hit 94 or 95 doesn't mean he can work consistently there. He throws free and easy. He's not hurt or tired. He throws a straight fastball down the middle of the plate with no deception. Whether it's 90 or 93, major league hitters destroy those pitches. We have proof of that with his record.

IMO if Wang is still on this roster by the end of this road trip will tell us that Melvin and the Brewers' brass are more interested in the future than the present. I can't imagine another club with legit post season aspirations keeping a reliever who truly belongs in rookie ball around taking up a valuable roster spot like this.

http://i.imgur.com/6EDhQhr.jpg

He only needs to stay a couple more weeks. Hes been on the roster about 50 days. He would need 10 more days and then they could hide him on the DL and bring him back in Sept when rosters expand. It's incredibly short sighted to send him back to Pit at this point.

What makes some here think Wang has no Future or potential being a 21 Year OLD Lefty who has good command, yes he has TJ Surgery but noting is written that he will need another Surgery down the road. The brewers who have lacked quality Lefty arms in the farm need to find a way to keep him in the system. There are others here on this Roster that has cost us game Just look at the Brewers bench and Keeping Overbay among others.

If we can make it to the 60 day roster mark, which will happen in about 10 days I think, they can put him on the DL and bring him back when the rosters expand in September. They've gone this far, 10 more days shouldn't kill them.

Don't blame Wang for getting rocked. He should be pitching in high A ball, not the majors. Blame Doug Melvin.

No, he should be in low A ball. As for this DL stuff, he actually has to be hurt. There's no evidence of that. Think a move to the DL by a healthy player in his situation won't be looked at by MLB? What about his agent? Think not developing him won't bring about a grievance? Sitting him entirely the rest of the season develops him how?? He'd probably need to go back to rookie ball in 2015 just to regain his shattered confidence.

He's not worth saving for the potential of some sort of payoff 5 years from now. Again it's just plain silly. He's a decent prospect but we're not talking Clayton Kershaw/Chris Sale type stuff here. There's an excellent chance he'd burn through all his options before being a viable major league pitcher anyway.

Think a move to the DL by a healthy player in his situation won't be looked at by MLB? What about his agent? Think not developing him won't bring about a grievance?

Why would his agent care? His client is collecting a major league pay check. His agent would be ecstatic.

Wang is just another example of what happens when you take a small sample size and act upon it. The Brewers have done the same with 40 man roster guys. Is he a major league pitcher? No, but we are past the point of returning him. He is going to be a Brewer whether we like it or not. How many years is he going to be a Brewer? Well that depends on Wang. I think they will put him on the DL at some point.

People talk about wins and losses with Wang. No, he hasn't given up a game yet that we were leading in and probably won't, but how does him being on the 25 man team affecting overall team morale, especially if the other players don't think he belongs. Being from the Bay Area and seeing the Giants win two world series without the greatest roster makes you think a little bit more about team chemistry.

Community Moderator

It's funny, Doug Melvin has been blasted around these parts for years for always trying to win now and never trying to play for the future at all. Now he is trying to play for the future by stashing the most talented lefty arm we've had organizationally since Braddock or Parra in the mop up role and people want him to play for right now. Outside of the paycheck and getting a first hand look at the actual inner workings of MLB I do not envy the guy.

When Wang came in to the game the Braves win probability was 88%. With Kimbrel in the 9th the game was essentially over. Those runs he allowed were about as meaningless as runs allowed get.

It's funny, Doug Melvin has been blasted around these parts for years for always trying to win now and never trying to play for the future at all. Now he is trying to play for the future by stashing the most talented lefty arm we've had organizationally since Braddock or Parra in the mop up role and people want him to play for right now. Outside of the paycheck and getting a first hand look at the actual inner workings of MLB I do not envy the guy.

When Wang came in to the game the Braves win probability was 88%. With Kimbrel in the 9th the game was essentially over. Those runs he allowed were about as meaningless as runs allowed get.

Yeah it's definitely worth sacrificing games in 2014 for the next Zach Braddock though even Braddock had success above rookie ball. This kid hasn't. Funny, I don't remember Braddock or Parra being anything special in the major leagues either. Brewers got more out of Narveson and Stetter. Now they have several lefties in their system, Bradley, Suter, and Hobbs Johnson all performing well in the minors and perhaps the best lefty they've had since a healthy Nieves or Plesac in their pen now in Will Smith.

As far as the DL is concerned, sure he technically has to be hurt. But guys go on the DL all the time with "arm fatigue" or "shoulder soreness". Would Wang go along with this? I can't imagine why he wouldn't....he'd still be collecting his full MLB salary.

It was 2 weeks since he last pitched in a game. How sharp can he be expected to be in that situation. Its starting to become a self fulfilling prophecy. Also, based on his pattern, his next outing will be scoreless.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Different people I am sure.

I still wonder why the manager went with Wang instead of Thornburg or Smith.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Community Moderator
Yeah it's definitely worth sacrificing games in 2014 for the next Zach Braddock though even Braddock had success above rookie ball. This kid hasn't. Funny, I don't remember Braddock or Parra being anything special in the major leagues either. Brewers got more out of Narveson and Stetter. Now they have several lefties in their system, Bradley, Suter, and Hobbs Johnson all performing well in the minors and perhaps the best lefty they've had since a healthy Nieves or Plesac in their pen now in Will Smith.

That's the thing though, which game has been sacrificed thus far in 2014? In regards to Braddock & Parra and Narveson & Stetter and their respective results in the majors vs. their prospect pedigree, all that does for me is serve to reinforce the notion that you can never have enough pitching prospects (especially lefties) because the flame out rate and unpredictability is so high. I also agree that Smith is the best lefty we've had in awhile, but he wasn't developed by the Brewers and I don't really consider him a prospect at this point. Unless he can pitch for 6-7 innings at a time like he can currently for 1 (I don't think he can) he is pretty much at his ultimate upside.

He only needs to stay a couple more weeks. Hes been on the roster about 50 days. He would need 10 more days and then they could hide him on the DL and bring him back in Sept when rosters expand. It's incredibly short sighted to send him back to Pit at this point.

Really?? If we hold out a little while longer we can hide him on the DL?

We are really using Braddock and Parra as reasons that we want to keep Wang? We want to keep a kid who clearly has no business playing in MLB right now for the oft chance that 3 years from now he could perhaps turn into a league average LOOGY? I don't think this kid is nearly as talented as everyone seems to think he is. He has some zip on his fastball and has shown flashes here and there; but clearly he is a LONG ways off and a myriad of things could happen to delay or end his development.

Archived