Brewer Fanatic

Hypothetical: Braun Relinquishing MVP - Would Help Brewers Organization/Braun

rickh150
I think the real interesting question is when Braun puts up another MVP worthy season which I suspect he could, how many voters will leave him off their ballots entirely? The point being he won't have to give up the one he won. He may well be denied one or two more he deserves based on his production.

I'll try to respectfully give responses to a few, and then I'll let a dead horse die. I appreciate the debate, and it allowed me to think of trains of thought that I have not thought about before. Thank you.

Braun was not banned because of a test... he was banned because of the overwelming evidence MLB had on him. Braun could see the writing on the wall and a deal was struck. The argument that he used just in the postseason doesn't fly because based on just part of the evidence shown and Braun's brief statements, he used throughout at least half of 2011 (and probably since college). In my mind (and most), he doesn't deserve the MVP. Like many here stated, it is tainted and probably will always be. My simple opinion is that he should give it back (sell it somewhere for charity), show some contrition, and gain a better rep. for the Brewers and himself, even be it small.

Only one sided with the LL WS kid, whereas most here are siding with Braun keeping his trophy. The argument... he didn't know the rules. So if I run a stop sign, hit a car, and get a fine, my argument should be, "Sorry, offficer, I didn't see the stop sign" or "I didn't know the traffic rules" and the officer should let me off the hook? Being reckless and stupid doesn't right a wrong.

Morals? My morals?

I think most believe it's wrong to lie, steal, and cheat. Everyone has a baseline for some sort of human decency, even though some pretend that is not the case. Everyone is guilty of these imperfections, by the way, and has improvement to do. The argument that I can lie, cheat, and steal whenever doesn't fly because Tom, Dick, and Harry do it too.

The whole opening a can of worms thing? The can is still open. The injustice of any MVP/Award/Stat winner on the juice still having an award/title from a juice year is still there. Who closed the lid?

All this being said, I still hope the best for Braun and the Brewers. I want to get back to the post-season. I hope the Crew can stay healthy this season, pick up a few spare parts along the way, and make a run at its first World Championship. Giving back the MVP sure would help the Crew, Braun, and ALL its fans make a better peace with this issue, even if some of you have put that to bed already. I believe the organization is still worried about this (mostly financially speaking), and for good reason. Why else would it poll the fans about their FEELINGS about Braun? No, no, the stank is still there, and the Brewers fans will be reminded of this every time Braun goes to bat this season on the road. Good PR moves can still be made with Braun, one being giving back the MVP.

Braun was not banned because of a test... he was banned because of the overwelming evidence MLB had on him. Braun could see the writing on the wall and a deal was struck. The argument that he used just in the postseason doesn't fly because based on just part of the evidence shown and Braun's brief statements, he used throughout at least half of 2011 (and probably since college). In my mind (and most), he doesn't deserve the MVP. Like many here stated, it is tainted and probably will always be. My simple opinion is that he should give it back (sell it somewhere for charity), show some contrition, and gain a better rep. for the Brewers and himself, even be it small.

I pretty much agree with everything here, Braun doesn't deserve the MVP. However, Braun didn't "win" the MVP in 2011, it was something awarded to him by the Baseball writers. Braun could give back or sell the trophy and donate the proceeds to charity and it still doesn't change the fact he's the 2011 MVP. The award is just a trophy. Only the Baseball writers can decide to strip him of the award, re-vote and award it to someone else. Surprisingly, they haven't chosen to do so. Still... Parting with the trophy, especially to benefit a worthy charity, seems like something Braun should consider. Regardless though, people who want to hate Braun are going to hate him no matter what he chooses to do.

As for myself, in my old age I learned along time ago not to get to caught up idolizing athletes in any sport. It's best to root for the team, and as long as Braun contributes to the success of the team, all is good. I don't have to forgive or even necessarily like him.

He's not even the first admitted user of PEDs who won an MVP, until Caminiti and others give their MVP awards back I don't see the upside here.

The taint and stigma is going to follow Braun around regardless for the rest of his career, and the move doesn't really benefit the organization at all either way. Hard core fans are coming out to the ballpark with or without Braun, casual fans are going to show up for a winner... and in the end attendance is driven by the product on the field, at least in WI where we support our teams very well for our population base. Braun may not be as marketable as he once was but I don't see fans not buying any jersey because he's "tainted" now, they will just buy a Segura jersey instead of a Braun, or someone else. If you're in the market for a jersey you just move on to the next player don't you? I'm not sure, I don't buy jerseys anymore so I'm not ever in the market. I could see some fall off in out of market jersey sales... people that were Braun fans and not Brewer fans, but having no idea how to qualify that revenue without the raw numbers it's hard to speculate on the impact. Regardless giving the award back wouldn't necessarily mean that revenue would come back, if you're off the Braun bandwagon is that act of contrition going to convince you to buy a jersey again?

I understand the "face of the franchise" and "Brewer for life" type ideas, many fans want players to connect with. I'm just not built that way, I find it difficult to connect with people that I don't have a personal relationship with. I think those ideas are relics of by gone era of sports, with free agency chances are that every player is going to walk or be pushed away from the team at some point in their careers. That is just the nature of the business, but many of us who grew up through the 70s-80s (or earlier) still remember that sense of attachment... Player X is "our" guy, and always will be one of "our guys". That's what we knew and it's a completely different feeling than professional sports today, and I think in some ways part of our love affair with sports is holding on to that youthful enthusiasm we once had. If that is shattered by Braun for example, is any act of contrition ever going to be enough? I think like most things we discuss it depends on personal perspective, for some yes, some never cared, and some will never be Braun fans again, that's just the way it is.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

He's not even the first admitted user of PEDs who won an MVP, until Caminiti and others give their MVP awards back I don't see the upside here.

Caminiti has been dead for 10 years so not going to happen.

Thanks, I had forgotten all about that.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Since some Brewer fans think they are so of such a high moral authority, why don't they lobby to vacate all Brewers appearances in the playoffs in 2011 while they are at it? After all, they are all tainted and Braun played in all the games! After all, USC had to vacate an entire season and a National Championship because of Reggie Bush, and he didn't even cheat in the game.

This idea is for people with a low baseball IQ. Braun earned that MVP whether on HGH or not. It takes a GREAT hitter to do what he did, not HGH.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Exactly. What Braun took had absolutely nothing to do with his performance. Just look at Braun in spring training this year! Braun's power is an automatic given, whether on some substance or not. It is his reaction time, selection, and adjustment to what the pitcher is giving him at the plate that makes him good.

This idea is for people with a low baseball IQ. Braun earned that MVP whether on HGH or not. It takes a GREAT hitter to do what he did, not HGH.

The ad hominem stuff needs to end with this post. Thank you to all posters.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived