Brewer Fanatic

Opening Day Starter / Rotation

MVP2110
  • 2 weeks later...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought I heard Garza was 4 because DPR wanted a veteran starting the first game against the Sox. Put all our starters in any order. I think a strong case could be made for any of them anywhere. Put Gallardo 5th. He isn't markedly better and uses a lot of pitches to get through innings.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I thought I heard Garza was 4 because DPR wanted a veteran starting the first game against the Sox. Put all our starters in any order. I think a strong case could be made for any of them anywhere. Put Gallardo 5th. He isn't markedly better and uses a lot of pitches to get through innings.

I would argue that you could put the 4 in a hat and pick them in any order and not be questioned. I don't think Estrada's earned it yet. Needs a healthy season in which he pitches 180 innings like he has the past two years. That takes him from nice 4/5 to solid 2/3.

Personally I'd go

Lohse

Gallardo(I do think he'll bounce back this year and be a far more effective pitcher with the decreased velocity).

Garza-Bad feeling on him even though ST'ing is obviously meaningless.

Peralta

Estrada

Lohse...he's not pretty, but damn, look at the last several years. Can't argue with the results.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Peralta is below everyone else and should be in Nashville with Smith in the rotation instead.

Agree completely. Sadly, Smith won't get a chance until someone gets hurt.... and even then he may not.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Peralta is below everyone else and should be in Nashville with Smith in the rotation instead.

Really?? Peralta has the best stuff on the entire staff in my opinion and is poised for a breakout season. From June 1st on, he posted a 3.48 ERA over 21 starts, including 2 complete games. How is that not worthy of a rotation spot?

I wouldn't mind seeing him start the year in the minors with all the off days. Might get another year of team control as well.

I'm not too concerned how they end up in the rotation, I'm just excited for their potential. I just think we will have steady starting pitching all year. Might bore outsiders to sleep a little, but in the end, have a chance in the final month. That's all you can ask for.

Gallardo starts opening day, and the bullpen will get a good workout as well when he only lasts 5 innings with 98 pitches.

Or he turns in at least 6 innings, as he did in 22 of his 31 starts last season.

Obviously in his first start he might not be completely stretched out, so him not going 6 wouldn't surprise me. But the misinformation train on Gallardo never turning in 6+ IP performances has gone a little off the rails on the BF forums lately.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Is this another example of Roenicke going with the small sample "hot hand" (oooh he's got a 1.13 ERA in Spring Training!) or is it a psychological move or do they really believe Gallardo is their best pitcher?

Gallardo was worse than Lohse & Garza last year but this year is this year and Ron Roenicke loves those small samples

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Is this another example of Roenicke going with the small sample "hot hand" (oooh he's got a 1.13 ERA in Spring Training!) or is it a psychological move or do they really believe Gallardo is their best pitcher?

Gallardo was worse than Lohse & Garza last year but this year is this year and Ron Roenicke loves those small samples

My guess it's a mental thing. He's the guy who's been here, they probably want him to take some leadership and ownership of the staff.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think it's more because of Gallardo's history with the franchise. Roenicke even said in the article that Gallardo was 'our guy' - referring to the fact he is a Brewer developed pitcher.

My guess it's a mental thing. He's the guy who's been here, they probably want him to take some leadership and ownership of the staff.

Not a bad reason, I suppose. There is a huge mental component to Baseball

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I think it's more because of Gallardo's history with the franchise. Roenicke even said in the article that Gallardo was 'our guy' - referring to the fact he is a Brewer developed pitcher.

Yeah, if I had to wager it is that RR's thinking that not starting Yo on Opening Day sends the message that we don't rate him as highly as the previous four seasons. Not sure if that's correct, but maybe when you have a guy who has started the last four opening days in a row still on your team you don't want to look like you are demoting him.

The Brewers actually have some really nice organizational pitching depth for the first time in what feels like forever. Even though we lack that clear-cut #1 type, I feel pretty comfortable heading into 2014 with this talent pool at or a phone call away from MLB:

Gallardo

Lohse

Peralta

Garza

Estrada

Thornburg

Nelson

Smith

Burgos

Wang

Hellweg

Pena

Henderson

K-Rod

Fiers

Figaro

Gorzelanny

Kintzler

Wooten

Sure, not every guy there is a stud or projects to be an All-Star, but that's a really nice list.

Really?? Peralta has the best stuff on the entire staff in my opinion and is poised for a breakout season. From June 1st on, he posted a 3.48 ERA over 21 starts, including 2 complete games. How is that not worthy of a rotation spot?

This is exactly how I feel about Wily. I think we're going to see big things from him this season.

The Brewers actually have some really nice organizational pitching depth for the first time in what feels like forever. Even though we lack that clear-cut #1 type, I feel pretty comfortable heading into 2014 with this talent pool at or a phone call away from MLB:

Gallardo

Lohse

Peralta

Garza

Estrada

Thornburg

Nelson

Smith

Burgos

Wang

Hellweg

Pena

Henderson

K-Rod

Fiers

Figaro

Gorzelanny

Kintzler

Wooten

Sure, not every guy there is a stud or projects to be an All-Star, but that's a really nice list.

It's a nice list based on potential, but it's also pretty risky. I feel like Lohse and Garza are the only SP that you can count on being solid, and obviously Garza has his injury issues and everybody is waiting for Lohse's wheels to fall off.

I agree with your optimism though. If Gallardo returns to form (please, Yovani!) and Peralta has a breakout season then it's a great rotation.

The nice thing about the pitching list is that while it may lack elite arms it certainly has depth. When some of the inevitable pitching injuries occur there are capable guys to replace them.

Regarding Peralta, I am extremely optimistic for the season. I am hopeful that his stuff combined with his durability make him a solid mid-rotation pitcher. He is the one guy in the rotation I get legitimately excited to watch pitch every start. My one meaningless complaint is that Wily looked more intimidating in his #60 jersey.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Agreed. Peralta will be one of out top 3 pitchers this season. Anybody that says that about him totally missed his second half of last season.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Agreed. Peralta will be one of out top 3 pitchers this season. Anybody that says that about him totally missed his second half of last season.

Peralta's second half differed from his first half due to luck. His FIP in the first half was 4.32 and in the second it was 4.26. He K'd more batters but started give up a bunch more fly balls leading to home runs.

ZiPs FIPs projections:

Garza: 3.65

Estrada: 3.75

Gallardo: 3.75

Lohse: 4.09

Smith: 4.10

Peralta: 4.36

Given that putting Peralta in AAA can buy another year of his prime, Smith pitching allows for a left hander in the rotation, and it allows for both Thornburg and Peralta remain stretched out to come to Milwaukee when a starter goes down; Peralta in Nashville makes perfect sense.

Archived