Brewer Fanatic

2014 State of the Farm Discussion

RobDeer 45

Another thought on why they might have made that move (though my caveat is that I feel your take on it is more likely) would be to keep from losing Tunnell. Other clubs may well have come calling, & although it's obviously far better for the Brewers to have him at the MiLB level, I have to imagine Lee's paydays are looking a lot nicer now.

I don't doubt that could have been the case, but then give him more money and keep him in the same role, it's not like he's traveling less with the big league club, in-fact he's probably traveling a tad more with the standard 3 game series at MLB vs the extended series at many minor league levels. There are other coaches in the organization who I'd like to say are difference makers because I like them, Chris Hook for example, but it's hard to say exactly what impact he's having. It's not like the Brewers are suddenly turning out a plethora of pitchers whom are outpitching or significantly improving their stuff.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New poster here. I've been reading this forum for the last decade, but this is my first post.

I've always seen the drafting philosophy following more of a ETA to the majors trend than impact talent. With Fielder, Braun, and Weeks, we drafted impact bats that were all on path to hit the majors at the same time as Gallardo, Hardy, and Hart. It was an amazing wave of prospects, but the organization seemed very deliberate in promoting them at the right time. I remember everyone thinking 2007 was going to be the year they all came together.

The next wave came with a few misses on young pitchers, and more impact bats. Most of the high-end prospects were traded for win-now pieces. After that, we focused on players that were close to the majors. Jungmann was even talked about helping the rotation immediately.

The great rebuild of 2004 had Melvin talking about being consistently a contender. I think his plan was to swing for the fences with his high picks to build a good team, and then to supplement it with depth and solid, fast-rising, high-floor prospects. Unfortunately, a lot of those prospects didn't live up to expectations.

At this point, I think we need to aim for a year where we can get a lot of the big contracts off the books, as well as graduate our impact talent. Taylor, Roache, Coulter, Williams---When will they realistically be ready? 2016? 2017? Whatever year they decide, their drafts should reflect.

• 1 month later...
For all the doom and gloom surrounding the state of the Brewer farm system, they are getting some pretty impressive pitching performances so far at all levels. Somebody's doing something right.

How many of those guys project as frontline starters? Every team has pitchers like ours, defining a good farm system isn't about the players at the bottom, it's about the players at the top. You've been around long enough to know the difference but you choose to continually latch onto and champion low ceiling players. It doesn't matter how many of those guys perform well if they ultimately don't have the talent necessary to compete at a high level in MLB. While Fiers has been amazing, he's not a prospect, nor is he likely a starter long-term, he just doesn't have the stuff or velocity to be, he's always had outstanding command so he definitely will have a nice MLB career but he's another guy who's already 29 years old.

When talking about impact players, what has changed? The only pitcher with upside who's been consistent going back to last year is Nelson, one could make argument for Pena but he's yet to put together a full season so pardon me if I'm not excited yet.

There are certainly many players to be encouraged about but a superficial fluff piece out of Rotographs about Jungmann doesn't change his status anymore than Bradley pitching well his 3rd time through the FSL changes his.

I'm not sure how anyone can objectively look at the system and honestly believe that everyone else has the system wrong. Just within our own division the only team I wouldn't swap top pitching prospects with in a heartbeat is the Cubs.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Hard to argue with any of that. But I think we need to be it in context. How good would the system look if Peralta, Thornburg, Gennett, and Davis were all in Nashville? Point being, a top shelf farm system is not needed at the moment. You always WANT a top tier system at all times, but the way the major league clud is structured now, I'm comfortable. At least in the area that's most important- pitching. I am concerned there isn't a big bat we can count on at the corner IF positions.

As far as pitching goes, you have Peralta, Thornburg and Nelson. Very conceibvable 2 of the 3 can be top of the rotation guys. Each of them has already proved that at the major league level, albeit a small sample. Then you still have Gallardo, Lohse, Garza, and Estrada. Yes, some of those are relatively short term, but still. Plus, Will Smith is a viable option if they really want a LHP in the rotation.

Beyond that, Fiers is a definite option at this point. Suter, Wagner, and Pena are all interesting prospects. (I haven't even mentioned Bradley, Cravy, Gagnon, etc....well now I guess I did.) And that's just A+ level on up. Bottom line, I think they have plenty of pitching in the system, when you consider they already have a very good rotation at the major league level.

The Brewers minor league system in the last 2 years have proven to be underrated if they have produced:

Peralta - One of the best pitchers period since the All Star Break

Thornburg - A dominant reliever with a very real chance to be an above average starter

Nelson - Very solid potential. You can't tell me there are 20 better SP prospects in the minors than this guy

Khris Davis - slow start but capable of being a competent every day player

Gennett - has been great thus far; everyday player

Those are all just guys the minors have produced for us recently; there is plenty of high upside talent in the lower levels as well. I think most teams would be pretty frickin happy with the production the Brewers have been getting from 1st and 2nd year guys. Not a single one of the guys contributing in Milwaukee right now (Or Nelson) have ever been rated for crap by any of the publications yet here they are doing pretty darn well.

Perhaps the biggest issue to start 2014 is the underwhelming performance of the position players outside of Coulter. That should be a concern but you don't want to write anyone off after 3 weeks. Plus it isn't like the MLB club is going to be in need of a lot of offensive talent from the minors in the next couple of years. We need a 3rd and 1st basemen; everyone else is pretty much set for a while.

Well the Brewers farm system would be great again if we could count every player we've developed and graduated since 2000, but that's not the case.

The reality here is that Brewer fans are overvaluing our own players.

Peralta - One of the best pitchers period since the All Star Break

That's awfully subjective considering he's doesn't make a top 10 leaderboard in any catagory nor is he on the same level as the other "young" pitchers in the division such as Gerrit Cole or Michael Wacha. He was properly rated as a prospect at that time.

Thornburg - A dominant reliever with a very real chance to be an above average starter

Again he was properly rated at the time, I've always been high on Thornburg with the exception of his tendency to give up XBHs.

Nelson - Very solid potential. You can't tell me there are 20 better SP prospects in the minors than this guy

I can and I will list them. If you mean potential impact this year then no, if we're evaluating pitchers on ultimate ceiling it's not really all that close. Bradley, Walker, Grey, Bundy, Syndergaard, Stephenson, Gausman, Giolito, Taillon, Butler, Ventura, Martinez, Sanchez, Crick, Appel, Myer, Glasnow, Stewart, Foltynewicz, (who Nashville faced last night) and Freid. I skipped a trio of pitchers in BA's top 100 whom I think Nelson is on par with or are already in the majors, but even with this list I'm at player 59 of 100. It's not fair to judge any pitching prospect on his best or worst small samples, Jimmy has made steady improvement and he even managed to turn me into a believer, but he doesn't have the same ceiling of any pitcher I listed there, he's hopefully a nice mid rotation guy.

Khris Davis - slow start but capable of being a competent every day player

If you've read this forum over the years you know I've always been on Kris' bandwagon, but he's not a potential impact player, he's hopefully a league average LF long-term.

Gennett - has been great thus far; everyday player

This is Gennett's minor league career.

[pre]Year Age G PA H 2B 3B HR RBI BA OBP SLG OPS

2010 20 118 525 149 39 4 9 55 .309 .354 .463 .817

2011 21 134 601 167 20 6 9 51 .300 .334 .406 .740

2012 22 133 573 156 30 2 5 44 .293 .330 .385 .714

2013 23 79 349 90 10 5 3 22 .280 .327 .371 .697

4 Seasons 464 2048 562 99 17 26 172 .297 .337 .409 .745[/pre]

This is Scooters MLB career.

[pre]Year Age G PA H 2B 3B HR BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+

2013 23 69 230 69 11 2 6 .324 .356 .479 .834 127

2014 24 21 70 20 3 1 1 .317 .348 .444 .793 118

2 Yrs 90 300 89 14 3 7 .322 .354 .471 .825 125

162 Game Avg. 162 540 160 25 5 13 .322 .354 .471 .825 125[/pre]

He may well ultimately perform better in the bigs than he ever did in the minors but regardless how did anyone "miss" on him? Everyone said he could could make contact and hit for average, the problem was the relative lack of other tools. He's become average defensively but was below average much of his career. He isn't fast, doesn't hit for power, carried a very average OBP, and he's listed at 5' 10". He didn't and still doesn't project to be anything special as an MLB player. Other than his hit tool, it was very hard to find something to hang your hat on, and historically there aren't many MLB players under 6' whom are successful. I loved the draft pick at the time, was extremely happy when he signed, and the fact he's produced very well thus far, but we've been down this road before with McGehee, he doesn't even have a full season of ABs yet.

Again I don't have any problem with people latching onto and rooting for any player, regardless of prospect status or ceiling, some of my favorite Brewer minor league players are guys who most people here would have forgotten about already. The point is that churning out a handful of productive major leaguers doesn't make a system underrated, rating a system isn't about depth, it's about the number potential impact position and starting pitchers you have in that system. We have boatload of relief options, we have some guys who could be decent #3s, a couple who could be 2s absolute best case, but where are the pitchers or hitters we can comfortably project to be 4 WAR or greater players? That's nothing against players like Jason Rogers, Hunter Morris, or Jimmy Nelson but core issue with the system is that there's no JJ Hardy, Ryan Braun, Prince Fielder, Carlos Gomez, Yovani Gallardo, Ben Sheets, Jean Segura, Corey Hart, or even Rickie Weeks waiting in the wings right now. I would love it if we had players with those kind of tools and minor league production, but we just don't.

Some of those players we still control long-term, most are long gone or have a limited number of years remaining, we simply can't replace 4 WAR players with 2 WAR players and maintain success unless we pick it up at other positions. However if those players aren't coming from the farm system where are they going to come from? We can only afford to sign a limited number of impact players through Free Agency, and how many impact pitchers have we landed through FA?

- Plato

- Plato

I sometimes think some people spend too much time focusing on the special players when assessing the farm systems. Yet look around the league and most teams are made up primarily of the Scooter Gennett's and Kris Davis' of the world. It doesn't help to have Ryan Braun surrounded by the Chris Barnwell's of the world any more than it helps to have nothing but the Gennetts on the team. In fact I would take a team full of average players before a team of below average with two or three studs.

I get the value of a stud or two. But we have to assess more than the major, can't miss talent, to assess a farm system. To look only at what ours lacks misses a lot of what ours has.

On a side not I have seen Coulter a few times last season and now again this season. I get it is early but he looks totally different now than he was last time around in Appleton. He's actually taking pitches out of the zone more and hitting the ones in it pretty well so far. He's fun to watch.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

If you mean most players, even top prospects, end up being around average for their career like a Rickie Weeks I'd agree.

However the core of the Brewers' break out teams were not average by any measure. The pitching was usually below average, which has historically been a huge problem, but the position players were not and are not now.

- Plato

- Plato

No I mean there are a lot of guys who never were top prospects that contribute in the majors and make up a significant part of good teams. They don't get a lot of pub they may never be great players or become all stars but they are league average players. Not sexy. Not something people pay attention to coming up but they help fill out a team with decent production and are more valuable in numbers than superstars are alone.

Lance Lynn is a perfect example. He seemingly came out of nowhere. He wasn't highly regraded nor did he have an exceptional minor league career. Not bad but not great. Ditto for guys like Gennett and Davis. Some players might not dominate the minors like others but compete at every level they go to. Then, when they get to the majors, they do the same thing and everybody views them as a pleasant surprise. Or it he Cards case another case of making chicken salad out of...well you know what. But it shouldn't be a surprise. They did the same thing all the way along.

Our minor league has a decent number of players who simply compete and put up decent if not spectacular numbers where ever they go. Davis for example had an OPS's of 848, 897, 851, 1.055 and 822 in the minors. But he is capable pf putting up the same type of numbers in the majors as he did the minors. Ditto for Gennett. Our minors have a lot of that on the pitching side. That has a tremendous amount of value that I just feel is under rated in a lot of the farm system analysis I see.

1. I don't care what Keith Law thinks.

2. The Brewers have done a nice job of working around failed draft picks, using free agency, trades, the signing of Aoki, and the Rule 5 draft to bring in talent.

3. In Peralta, Thornburg, Gennett and Davis, the Brewers are proving they haven't whiffed, they are getting as much as can be expected out of that group, with Jimmy Nelson knocking on the door. The team absolutely does deserve some credit for developing contributors.

Still, there is no doubt, the team dug a hole in the farm system when too many top picks missed the mark. Arnett, Heckathorn, Jungmann, and Bradley - I don't think the team reached for any of them, but collectively, to this point, they've been a waste of time. Maybe the team will still get something out of some of these guys, I sure hope they do, but their failure to live up to the spots they were picked in, on the heels of so many young players being traded out, left the team with far too little to work with on the farm.

In the last two drafts, the team has added Coulter, Roache, T Williams, Haniger, D Williams, Neuhaus, and Brent Suter, young kids who all may have a big league future. Williams and Neuhaus are a million miles away right now, but they were sound picks, and the others I just listed all look like they may have a shot. The team has also gotten much more aggressive in Latin America, it's too early to know, but that should have a positive impact as well.

I can see why the system is seen as weak right now, most of the best talent is in the bottom half of the system at this point, with a lot left to prove. If the team hits on a kid or two from the international signings, and the kids at Brevard and Appleton get to the point where they look good in AA, the rankings will change quickly. That time is not now, those players need to develop at the correct pace. They'll get there...just go forward from here, and the worst may already be over for the system.

Just to back up my claim that you can build a viable team with less than star prospects if you have enough average guys. http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/whats-the-best-way-to-build-a-major-league-baseball-team/

I know it is about building a major league team but I think it relevant to my argument that we don't need star prospects to have a productive farm system. As long as we make up for it in average prospects we should be fine. It is just going to be doing it through a lot of singles instead of a couple home runs.

Also should note I do not think WAR is worth much but one area it can be useful is in a supporting role to an overall analysis when comparing groups vs individuals. That seems to be the way it is used here.

Davis and Gennett I believe can be very solid role players on the team for the next few years. The Brewers can survive with role players so long as they have a few all-star caliber players around them. The emergence of Gomez is huge. With him, Braun, and Lucroy you have a very solid core of position guys. However, the where the lack of minor league talent is going to end up hurting very bad very soon is at first base and third base. The Reynolds/Overbay platoon shouldn't be an option any more than it absolutely has to be but unfortunately we don't have much to replace it. Perhaps Morris could be another solid role player but we'll have to see. And at third base while Ramirez is playing well let's not forget that a) he's about to turn 36 b) he's a free agent after the season and c) he's expensive. He needs to be replaced soon as well but we have absolutely zero at third base. While I generally agree with the idea of drafting best player available you cannot afford to ignore positions for so long like the Brewers have been doing. We are so weak and first base, third base and shortstop that any significant injury to a player on the ML roster at one of those positions is going to kill us.

Then you have pitching. Again, while we appear to be ok now because we have Lohse, Gallardo, and Garza everyone knows that expensive free agents aren't a good solution. I was extremely disappointed that Thornburg wasn't given a chance to be in the rotation after what he did last year and would feel better about the future of the rotation if he was is in it now. And other than Nelson, who probably profiles as a #3 at best, there still isn't a lot to be excited about in the system. I mentioned this somewhere else but do people realize the last pitcher we've drafted who had #1 potential is probably Jeremy Jeffress. That was 8 years ago. 8 years without getting someone who profiles as a #1. And maybe even a #2 depending on how you feel about Williams and Odorizzi. That cannot continue.

Just to back up my claim that you can build a viable team with less than star prospects if you have enough average guys.

I understood your point from the start, but I didn't do a very good job elaborating on mine, nor is that theory all that new, Melvin has been talking about being at least average at every position since he became the GM.

In the end this boils down to 1 thing, how many prospects, regardless of how high their ceiling is, will actually reach it?

If you have a bunch of prospects who profile as average MLBers best case, then you likely have a bunch of career reserves. I don't mean to suggest that all higher ceiling players are surer bets to at least be average, many of those players come with very low floors as well. However the system still needs to develop enough top end talent to match other organizations, especially within the division, and to do that you need fair amount of players with high ceilings.

Of course some of those guys are going to fall flat, some will succeed wonderfully, and the rest will be around the middle; that's exactly what happened with that first wave of prospects that came up through Milwaukee. Eveland and Parra didn't pan out, Braun and Fielder (though Prince's 4 year trend isn't looking so hot) became special, the rest of those guys were average to above average for the course of their careers. If you can match the talent on the top end, chances are trickle down is going to take care of the rest, you'll be able to find adequate role players as well.

However if you aren't able to match the talent at the top then long-term you are losing ground, regardless of reason or justification, as I said you simply cannot maintain the same level of success replacing 4 WAR players with 2 WAR players, or whatever other measure you want to use. I just use WAR because I think everyone pretty much understand that concept now. To maintain your level of success you have replace talent with similar talent or gain wins some place else...

There is absolutely nothing wrong with league average players or role players, all bullpen pitchers are essentially role players, it's awesome to have the system developing those kinds of players because they are relatively cheap and free up resources to do other things.

However, and this is especially true of pitching, there's no such thing as "averaging" your way to championship. Your pitching staff sets the ceiling of your team, it's nearly impossible to give up fewer runs and lose a playoff series, you would need extreme run distribution in a couple of games to make that possible. However you can be outhit and win on a regular basis.

I would much rather bring up Jimmy Nelson through the farm system than sign Kyle Lohse, there is absolutely value in developing a ton of 3s through the system. The problem isn't so much the regular season, the problem is the post season, when you need to match-up best on best. If we don't have enough top end talent to match-up, then it's just a matter of time before we get bounced and wait till next year.

It's nothing against Davis, Gennett, Fiers, or any other prospect, but those guys only really work because of the above average players around them in Ramirez, Braun, Lucroy, and Gomez. If those players form your core, then you're in trouble as an organization. Rating prospects is about projecting tomorrow not about how they fit into the current structure of the team, that's where trades come into play. It's awfully difficult to project good things when we're talking about someone like Davis to fill an OF hole while the rest of the division is talking about Polanco, Taveras, Bryant, Winkler, and so on.

If our high ceiling prospects start to perform the Brewers will move up in the rankings... if they do what they did last year just showing flashes of brilliance here and there then we deserve to be rated low. Every team has high floor/low ceiling players who are performing well, players like Suter don't make the Brewers stand out from the rest of the crowd. Players like Coulter, Arcia, Taylor, Roache, D. Williams, Neuhaus, and Denson do if they perform at an elite level, those players will make the Brewer system stand out.

I'm not trying to argue that having a 2 WAR player is better than than having a -.5 WAR at a position, that concept should be self explanatory. I'm arguing that most of those guys who project to be average best case won't ever have a MLB career, they won't come close to reaching that ceiling. I'm also stating once again that the talent at the top of the farm systems is what separates them, not the depth at the bottom, and why that top talent matters the most.

- Plato

- Plato

TheCrew07 said, "I would much rather bring up Jimmy Nelson through the farm system than sign Kyle Lohse, there is absolutely value in developing a ton of 3s through the system. The problem isn't so much the regular season, the problem is the post season, when you need to match-up best on best."

Great point...but I don't see a lot of mentioning of the absolute value of the money saved by having Nelson in the rotation (provided his WHIP is decent) so that the $$$ can be moved around to fill voids appropriately. I point at Estrada's presence this season allowing us to swallow one more season of RWeeks.

I think that the post-season match up issue is a great problem to have and would love to see this rotation of what basically amounts to a bunch of 2s and 3s take on the top guns of Detroit over a 7 game series (provided they make it; DET just an example with Verlander and Scherzer being skilled aces).

Someone else mentioned Nelson as a top 20 prospect and he might not be BUT if he can produce a decent MLB WHIP for 500K odd $$$ then there is a lot of value in that...especially if we have to overpay for 3B next season.

In the end this boils down to 1 thing, how many prospects, regardless of how high their ceiling is, will actually reach it?

I absolutely understand what you are saying. I am probaly not being clear on my point. Partially because I have been making two and sometimes converging them when I probably shouldn't.

I just think many people who rate farms fail to understand how to rate mid-level prospects correctly. Given it is fairly routine to see players come up and perform at the exact same level as they did throughout the minors and outsiders who rate systems typically rate players minor league numbers to regress as the competitive level increases they fail to see a whole group of players whose skill set is more translatable to the majors. If you accept that a real possibility then my point that we might very well have a lot of that inaccurately evaluated type of player is at least possible. Given what we are seeing from guys like Thorburg, Gennett and Davis seems to point to that.

I would much rather bring up Jimmy Nelson through the farm system than sign Kyle Lohse, there is absolutely value in developing a ton of 3s through the system. The problem isn't so much the regular season, the problem is the post season, when you need to match-up best on best. If we don't have enough top end talent to match-up, then it's just a matter of time before we get bounced and wait till next year.

Except I can name plenty of times where the team with the top end talent didn't win in the playoffs. When Jeff Suppan can become a playoff hero while teams that had Mulder, Zitto and Hudson or Glavine and Maddux fail time and again I don't see this major need to have the top players to win in the playoffs.

In fact I would say it is the least important time. The playoff push is more about a team getting hot at the right time than anything. Even the year the Brewers lost to St Louis the Brewers had the best top end talent. Hell they had better talent all the way around. The problem was the Brewers matched up with a team whose bullpen and a couple no name players, got hot at the right time. That happens more times than not.

Maybe I was a bit over dramatic in my assessment. The only thing that was bugging me is how much the minor league system has been railed on when it has produced 4 key players on this years team that are all producing. I certainly don't think the system is by any means good but it has done a good job at what the Brewers needed it to do. Fill in some holes with league average or perhaps slightly above average players. While it would be nice if we could add a star; the system has at least been good enough to supplement the good talent already at the MLB level.

I think most of the time rating those guys in the middle is the toughest. When I'm asked to a do a prospect list the bottom half takes me at least 3 times as long as the top half. It's very difficult to rate prospects or players who don't necessary get their edge against the competition from physical gifts.

Take a guy like Davis who I championed even though I knew he had a swing that could get long, sometimes you just get a gut feeling about a guy from watching him. However, I could absolutely see where prospect evaluators weren't all over him even though he was productive. The same for Gennett who's not selective, but makes his mark by being aggressive, if given the choice I'd prefer selective over aggressive but the reverse works for Scooter because of his bat on ball skills. Pitchers like Fiers who have pretty average stuff but plus command and pitchability are also tough, where is their best fit? I would say the bullpen... but he could pitch out of the rotation for at least 10 teams in baseball and do a nice job. Is it better better to be first division reliever or a second division starter? I think a very solid argument could be made both ways but as I want a rotation built on first division starters (no one worse than a 3) I'd slot him as a reliever.

The guys at the top... they are easy, the rest of the guys... not so much.

- Plato

- Plato

Aside from the Coulter/Roache 1st round picks a few seasons ago and 2013's too soon to tell high picks (no true first rounder last year, too), the prior 4-5 1st round drafts have created the dearth of perceived impact talent in the Brewer system. It's not even about the prospects they traded away to get pitching anymore (none of which appear to be organization-killers at this point, btw). They do have players with talent and who will have MLB careers, there's just a 4-5 season void of guys with "can't miss" written all over them. Their 1st rounders from that timeframe play to the potential of 3rd or 4th rounders, didn't sign, or are already washed out due to injury/ineffectiveness.

From a pitching standpoint, I feel the Brewers have finally gotten themselves in a position where they can piece together bullpens and bottom of the rotations with homegrown arms. I think there's tremendous value in being able to do that for a small market team. Right now the Brewers' prospect lists lack obvious #1 starters, and MLB-ready impact bats...pretty much the two things prospect rating systems use to determine organizational rankings.

Clint Coulter is showing signs of being that impact bat. The system is flush with athletic OF types: Taylor, Reed, Richardson, who may not be potential stars but who could soften the blow if they lose Gomez to FA in 2017. There's a few other guys sprinkled throughout that could rise too.

There's enough depth in pitching to deal from.

I Have hope that Green will have a solid season at Nashville and same with Rogers @ Huntsville an that one can become our future 3rd base Replacement. I was wondering also how Far N.Ramirez is to Challenge H Morris for the future 1B Job.

Archived