Brewer Fanatic

Can Someone explain 40 man rosters and option years to me?

nikegolf6

I have one specific question, can a player be on the 40 man, but not the major league roster to start the season if he is out of option years? Other than that, a general overview.... Thanks!

Also, can a player with 1 or 2 option years remaining be removed from the 40 man?

If you take a player off the 40 man they have to pass through waivers. The only way I see of being on the 40 man, not on the 25 man and not being assigned to the minors without clearing waivers if they're out of options is to be on the 15 day DL.

Also, take a look at this article: Death, Taxes, and Major League Waivers.

Always keep in mind that waiver and optioning rules are confusing, even for GMs. The Brewers messed up with the rules when they acquired Vince Perkins, for instance.

For this reason, it's certainly possible to find a mistake in any FAQ. If something's really unclear, I usually compare several resources and look for some kind of consensus.

Also note that few FAQs (including Brewerfan's) are updated to reflect the new CBA. Teams can now protect older players for four years before adding them to the 40 man roster, and they can protect younger players for five years.

Sometime, when I get a chance, I'm going to try to 'upgrade' waiver, option, and roster movement links in the MLB Forum Resource FAQ (post two of the Major League Forum FAQ).

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I don't remember the dirty details, but in the confusion about the rules, Vince ended up on the major league disabled list (accumulating service time and receiving major league pay) when the intention was have him on the minor league disabled list.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I don't remember the Perkins deal, but if I remember correctly the Brewers messed up with Chris Mabeus last year. I think it was because they put him on the 40-man when they acquired him, then optioned him to Nashville, they tried to recall him but couldn't because they had to wait the required 10 days.

Archived