Brewer Fanatic

Orioles sign Ubaldo Jimenez 4/$48mm

jjkoestler

There's no doubt in my mind by signing Jimenez the Orioles will now sign Morales.

This is a scary deal on Balitmore's part. It's more than likely going to end bad for them. If Jimenez pitches to a 4ERA throughout the deal then Baltimore wins. I just see 4.5 maybe worse forthcoming on a tanked out year when he's just lost it as previously done before.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
There's no doubt in my mind by signing Jimenez the Orioles will now sign Morales.

Morales would be perfect for Baltimore. He can DH (not play in the field), solidifies a problem position (Baltimore DHs hit .234 with a .704 OPS, and now only costs you a 2nd round pick. He should hit better getting playing half his games at Camden Yards.

Also, Morales isn't blocking any big bat.

If they could get him for a 3 year deal at $11-12 million, it would be a nice pick up for them.

Baltimore has been blasted all offseason for their lack of moves. Acquiring Jimenez and possibly Cruz and/or Morales now would certainly change a lot of people's opinions of their offseason maneuvering. Whether I would do these signings is another story, but it certainly makes them look better on paper in the short term.

It's a good move by the Orioles. In that division they aren't going to compete just on draft picks. Jimenez has been a Cy Young candidate. Sure he might struggle again as he did for a couple of seasons, but when good, he's been really good. Its the type of calculated risk Baltimore needs to take. The O's can always sell off pieces in July if not in contention to bolster their farm system. If that also results in them getting Morales at a relatively reasonable rate, all the better.

From Baltimore's perspective, they have a good core of talented players, but they're in a division with Boston and New York which will always hamper them. So they know they're working with a limited window, and therefore, this deal makes a lot of sense.

Some say this deal is a major risk, which it is, but if Jimenez recaptures his old form, it's a steal. He's got a higher ceiling than Garza, but a lower floor.

It's a good move by the Orioles. In that division they aren't going to compete just on draft picks. Jimenez has been a Cy Young candidate. Sure he might struggle again as he did for a couple of seasons, but when good, he's been really good. Its the type of calculated risk Baltimore needs to take. The O's can always sell off pieces in July if not in contention to bolster their farm system. If that also results in them getting Morales at a relatively reasonable rate, all the better.

My feelings exactly. He may have had two lost seasons, but in 2010 he was 3rd in the Cy Young pitching in Colorado. He still has #1 upside, and while $12 mil per is a lot of money, you don't win it all without taking some calculated risks. And if he turns out to be the pitcher he was in the second half of last year, the O's have themselves a bargain.

If he pans out, and if Dylan Bundy completely recovers from Tommy John surgery (another big if), the Orioles could have themselves a nasty rotation:

Kevin Gausman

Dylan Bundy

Ubaldo Jiminez

Chris Tillman (25-10, 3.48 ERA over his last 48 starts across 1.5 seasons. 1.170 WHIP)

With the lineup they have, and those four horses, do you want to face them in the post season? I sure as hell wouldn't.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

It absolutely is a great move because the compensation has already lowered the prices on these guys relative to everyone else. If you've got the pockets to do it, these mini binges are absolutely a great strategy every once in awhile. The value of second and third round draft picks really isn't that much compared to paying for already known talent.

It absolutely is a great move because the compensation has already lowered the prices on these guys relative to everyone else. If you've got the pockets to do it, these mini binges are absolutely a great strategy every once in awhile. The value of second and third round draft picks really isn't that much compared to paying for already known talent.

Has the MLB put in any rules about the teams that have already lost 1st round picks that then acquire the other QO'd players and then trading them in prearranged deals for teams that don't want to lose their first round pick? Are you required to keep a player so long?

Has the MLB put in any rules about the teams that have already lost 1st round picks that then acquire the other QO'd players and then trading them in prearranged deals for teams that don't want to lose their first round pick? Are you required to keep a player so long?

I think that'd be considered collusion?

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Someone here will probably be able to pull up the exact rule, but I don't believe you can trade a player signed as a free agent until several months into the season. I think this has been a rule for a long time.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Someone here will probably be able to pull up the exact rule, but I don't believe you can trade a player signed as a free agent until several months into the season. I think this has been a rule for a long time.

I believe that the rule is that a newly signed player needs to give permission to be traded before June 1. There is no rule about a "sign and trade" but Bud Selig has said he will block any trade he feels is to circumvent giving up a draft pick.

Archived