Brewer Fanatic

2014 Brewer prospects I am most intrigued by; who is on your list?

molitor fan
just had an oh crap, really? moment as I searched for Midwest league OPS leaders as saw that the still 20 year old Clint Coulter is leading the whole enchilada with a .915 OPS

Freaking impressive.....

he should be a top 100 milb prospect easily

Yep! Now for the Brewers to find him a defensive home...

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How about Catcher? If it takes four years instead of three, that is ok. Maybe he can play a little 1B or RF to keep his bat in the game with Lucroy.

He just doesn't realistically look like a catcher, defensively. Not meaning physique, but skillset. Part of me hopes he proves the doubters of his defense wrong, but the other part of me wants to see that bat kept as healthy as possible over the course of his career.

how would Coulter's skillset translate to playing 3B?

He has the arm strength for it, at least imho. I don't know if anyone knows much of anything else about his non-C defensive skills, since he hasn't really played anywhere else.

3B would certainly be my next hope, but if his bat is as good as it looks like it could be, I wouldn't even care if he wound up in an OF corner.

I'd like to know how Hector Gomez went from crappy with good defense in Brevard, crappy with good defense in Huntsville, to solid offensive contributor in Nashville. His best OBP with the Brewers had been .238, this year it's .305! If this is real, he could be another solid backup middle infielder like Josh Prince and Jeff Bianchi.

• 2 weeks later...
Miguel Diaz is a 19 year old that has caught my eye before, but the first hand reports of his stuff from Mr. Mitchell, out photog friend are kinda stunning....sitting at 94 on the gun with his fastball and a knee buckling curve....for a 19 year old that is some exciting stuff

Q: Jordan Mendelblatt, Glendale, WI - Do you have any information or thoughts on Brewers DSL CF Joantgel Segovia? I know it's the Dominican Leagues, but this guy is absolutely mashing on a consistent basis and shows discipline (20/16 BB/K ratio) and is now hitting over .375. Obviously not one of the higher international signees by the Brewers as was Franley Mallen or Nicholas Pierre, does this guy have a future?

A: Tom Haudricourt - I will be honest with you and say I don't know much about Segovia. It's hard to project what these teenagers in the DSL are going to do until you see them play in the States. But you're right about his numbers. Very impressive.

• 2 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Originally posted on June 23rd after very short samples --

I always take note when the Brewers jump a level with a prospect.

Consider me officially intrigued by 20-year-old 2B Gregory Munoz, now with Helena.

The Dominican native is basically Scooter Gennett at this point in his career. He's 5'9", 160, a LH bat, and after just one DSL season, he's handed the everyday starting job in Montana, skipping Maryvale, has hit safely in all six games thus far, and is 5-for-5 in SB attempts. He posted a .292/.376/.362 line last year.

Munoz split last season between shortstop and second base, as seen in his Baseball Reference page, so maybe he'll be able to slide over to short when needed, even if it's determined he's primarily a seoncd baseman.

And I'll think I'll just post "Segovia!" as a single-word post every so often. The 17-year-old Venezuelan OF won't even turn 18 until November, has a base hit (usually multiple) in all ten of his DSL games thus far. If you haven't noticed this yet, take a peek at that link.

Well, guess I nailed that one, you post enough and you hit the mark occasionally.

Munoz is up to .320 midway through tonight's game (8/24), improving each month, and just raking through August.

Never second-guess anyone on the DSL to Helena shuttle after just one season. Kudos, Brewers and Gregory.

Archived