Brewer Fanatic

2014 Brewer prospects I am most intrigued by; who is on your list?

molitor fan
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Too bad there probably isn't a place for him on the MLB roster for the foreseeable future unless Davis flops. If he stays in MIL he is probably destined as a 4th or 5th OF which is probably wasting his abilities.

Can he play 1st :)

I think so much can happen before then that I'm not too worried about finding him a spot. Injuries are one thing. We'll find more out about Davis this year. Braun to 1B could maybe happen. Might need to see how Roache develops as well (and where he ultimately plays).

Worse case scenario is he's ready in two years, and you use him as a trade chip.

I think this is a big year for Clint Coulter. I know he's still young but he's really done nothing above Arizona. He needs to stay healthy and he needs to hit. I'd also like to see Delmonico show something as he was pretty awful after the trade. He's literally all we have at 3rd base right now. Pitching wise I'd like to see Pena take that next step and I'd like to see Jungmann get some real separation in his BB/K ratio.

Too bad there probably isn't a place for him on the MLB roster for the foreseeable future unless Davis flops. If he stays in MIL he is probably destined as a 4th or 5th OF which is probably wasting his abilities.

Can he play 1st :)

Well, unless Braun is playing the Brett Favre game(you know, how every team was the most talented he'd been on the last 4-5 years of his career) and blowing some REAL thick smoke, players that good tend to force a teams hand.

Khris Davis and his noodle arm could always move to 1st as could Braun should he deal with any more injuries.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

• 3 weeks later...
Not saying it' a make or break but these are big years for Bradley and Delmonico to take the big step as legit prospects. Hobbs Johnson is interesting just because the kid has a baseball name!

• 2 months later...
I feel like if the Brewers believed Zarraga had a chance to be a big-leaguer, he'd already be in Nashville. Neither catcher for the Sounds has hit a lick. Why he's in Huntsville still is puzzling... not to mention that he's currently one of three active catchers on the Stars' roster.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

There was an article linked earlier in the year about Zarraga's career and how he didn't really dedicate himself until this most recent off-season. I'm not going to take the time to go find it right now because I'm busy at work but there are apparently very good reasons that Shawn's progress has been basically stagnant for this long. I remember something about his defense being pretty bad but I don't recall exactly how it was quoted.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

the season that Shawn Zarraga is having in AA is just silly....no power but a 31/12 w/k ratio and batting .388

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=C&sid=t559&t=p_pbp&pid=519452

No power?? 15 Doubles in basically 1/4 of a season of full time play is pretty good. He doesn't hit many HR, but to hit .388 you have to be able use the entire field, a trait that is becoming more and more valuable in the age of shifting defenses.

On a purely statistical front a high batting average at AA or above combined with excellent BB/K ratio and adequate power should hold up fairly well and there are no red flags on that front. Undoubtedly some of this years performance is also really lucky with a batting average that high. His prior batting averages were pretty good, but not this good. His BB/ K ratio though has just been off the charts, which suggests the getting serious part was not simply on the defensive side. Putting it all together its hard to peg exactly how much is luck and how much is a real break out. I lean towards there being plenty of evidence of a real breakout that he deserves a serious shot.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

I always take note when the Brewers jump a level with a prospect.

Consider me officially intrigued by 20-year-old 2B Gregory Munoz, now with Helena.

The Dominican native is basically Scooter Gennett at this point in his career. He's 5'9", 160, a LH bat, and after just one DSL season, he's handed the everyday starting job in Montana, skipping Maryvale, has hit safely in all six games thus far, and is 5-for-5 in SB attempts. He posted a .292/.376/.362 line last year.

Munoz split last season between shortstop and second base, as seen in his Baseball Reference page, so maybe he'll be able to slide over to short when needed, even if it's determined he's primarily a seoncd baseman.

And I'll think I'll just post "Segovia!" as a single-word post every so often. The 17-year-old Venezuelan OF won't even turn 18 until November, has a base hit (usually multiple) in all ten of his DSL games thus far. If you haven't noticed this yet, take a peek at that link.

Jorge Lopez got named to the international team for the Futures Game. Congrats Jorge!!

No other Brewers players were nominated. Hopefully next year the Brewers can get better representation when some of the A guys move up to AA. Could have perhaps made a case for a couple guys including Coulter, Taylor, and Arcia

The kid is 17 years old playing for the Brewers DR league team. Small sample size....

Games......22

AB............91

Average....385

Walks........8

SO............9

OPP..........447

SLG..........440

He takes a walk at a decent rate at the age of 17! I hope his hitting is what it looks like.

Dustin DeMuth We might finally have a decent 3b prospect. Raked right off the bat in rookie ball and started off with a bang at low A. Would love to see him get a shot a high A this year if he keeps it up.

I'm paying attention, but advanced college hitters have to show me a good stat line for awhile at A ball before I get too excited. Seniors tear through the Pioneer league all the time.

I'm paying attention, but advanced college hitters have to show me a good stat line for awhile at A ball before I get too excited. Seniors tear through the Pioneer league all the time.

It's certainly encouraging to see him putting up such video game like numbers even if he's only doing what he's supposed to do. He also was the leading hitter on IU's team with Schwarber hitting .378(though Schwarber hit for more power).

The thing I'm most intrigued about right now as far as this farm system is to see what type of jump they make as a group in the rankings next year. Gone from the list will likely be Nelson and Nelson alone while guys like Arcia and Coulter (and hopefully Devin Williams) may have played their way into top 100 rankings, Lopez could be a top 150 type guy and the incoming 4 young guns are highly regarded.

I thought this system was underrated coming into the year, but just about everything has gone well. Most guys have moved up and at least maintained their status while several others have improved their value. I'm actually really interested to see where Arcia and Coulter end up. Questions about Coulter's Defense will hold him back and propel Arcia, but both are so young and performing very well.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Joantgel Segovia 7/6/14 from Mr. Southpaw

"The kid is 17 years old playing for the Brewers DR league team. Small sample size....

Games......22

AB............91

Average....385

Walks........8

SO............9

OPP..........447

SLG..........440

He takes a walk at a decent rate at the age of 17! I hope his hitting is what it looks like."

He went 5 for 5 last night (7/7/14). He might not be able to hit a curve, but he is 17 years old and batting .400 with almost 100 at bats. My new "most intriguing prospect".

just had an oh crap, really? moment as I searched for Midwest league OPS leaders as saw that the still 20 year old Clint Coulter is leading the whole enchilada with a .915 OPS

Freaking impressive.....

he should be a top 100 milb prospect easily

Archived