Brewer Fanatic

Why Platoon 1B?

The scarier part is that Reynolds will probably be relied on to play a lot of games at 3B, especially if Ramirez misses time due to injury. I have to figure that just the defense of Reynolds at 3B and Francisco at 1B will cost us quite a few runs/wins, not to mention the below-average production they could bring with their bats.

This is why I wish the Brewers would think out of the box and deal Aramis now for a potential long term solution at 3B like Middlebrooks.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The scarier part is that Reynolds will probably be relied on to play a lot of games at 3B, especially if Ramirez misses time due to injury. I have to figure that just the defense of Reynolds at 3B and Francisco at 1B will cost us quite a few runs/wins, not to mention the below-average production they could bring with their bats.

This is why I wish the Brewers would think out of the box and deal Aramis now for a potential long term solution at 3B like Middlebrooks.

I just can't figure how Boston would make that trade. The Red Sox don't exactly have good backup SS/3b option when they would start Bogaerts at SS and ARam at 3b when losing Middlebrooks. My guess in how to get Middlebrooks is for Boston to have a SP go down with injury prior to opening day, they re-sign Stephen Drew and send Middlebrooks to us for say Lohse or Gallardo. Along with wait for it, Matt Barnes. if Lohse. If Gallardo I think its Middlebrooks for him straight up.

Now, we have him and I'd guess Middlebrooks is sent to AAA to be called upon when Aram does go on the DL.

But that's all far-fetched. How would Boston trade for Aram off an injury riddled year for a younger Middlebrooks? I mean I guess it moves Nava off #2 putting Pedroia #2 and can bat ARam #3 ahead of Ortiz/Napoli. If they keep Nava at #2 you're then putting ARam at #5 sliding Napoli to #6 in the order? I don't know, thinking out loud.

So can Mitch Haniger switch to 1st? We don't really have a need for a RF for a good 5 -6 years. Could .we start him in AA and see how he does? Seems to have a higher upside than any of our current 1B

So can Mitch Haniger switch to 1st? We don't really have a need for a RF for a good 5 -6 years. Could .we start him in AA and see how he does? Seems to have a higher upside than any of our current 1B

His offensive projection at this point is good but not great at a corner OF spot, & when combined with his defense, he should have a lot of value as a RF/sometimes-CF (unless his development falls apart). I think his value in the OF will be > his value at 1B... and the latter is an easy enough position at which to find solid offense. I'd rather see the team get the most out of his value, even if that means eventually trading him.

But who knows -- LF might well not be locked down over the next 5-6 seasons. If Davis doesn't pan out as an everyday player, then you have Haniger for RF & can slide Braun back to LF.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Any official word on if Lucroy will see time at first on days he's not behind the dish like they did towards the end of last year? If so, it would seem the best bet is to just make Reynolds the everyday guy since it's looking like Weeks and Bianchi are your back up infielders.

At that point if you want to keep one of JuanGone/Oooo in order to platoon at first you can only carry one backup outfielder. I'd rather have Gindl than either of the aforementioned.

I'm inclined to agree Haniger's athleticism lets his bat play up in terms of upside. If there was reason to believe he'd likely end up as an above average defensive 1st basemen as well that would make it an interesting possibility, but his bat is merely good and there just isn't that much separation on pure hitting at this moment from the other guys. Even if he has a good year this year it's not like there has to be a spot for him next year right away. With that much time there are a whole bunch of ways that letting him stay in the OF maximizes his value to us, not just in general. Just to throw out some fun ones. Davis could establish himself as a Matt Stairs type which is pretty good these days, but not so good we'd necessarily want to bet the house on him aging well, so he could be dealt while still relatively inexpensive for other shiny pieces. Braun might yet end up at first in an attempt to minimize wear and tear.

Haniger at 1b? .782OPS for his career in the minors? .720OPS in A+ last year? 1b? If Haniger moved to 1b, I would think his ceiling becomess that of AAA by age 26-28 and maybe 100 PAs ever in MLB. Being concerned about Haniger's future OF spot when it's likely not something to be concerned about until middle of the season 2016? I'm guessing he spends this year at AA, maybe repeats AA next year to start and then moves to AAA. And starts 2016 at AAA. Unless Haniger finds .900+OPS with his bat within the next 1.5seasons. There's a strong chance Haniger never makes it on Milwaukee's 25man roster even as OF. There's no need to move him away from the OF when he's likely going to be used in trade and being an OF to this point has to be where he's earned his most value.

Sorry to beat this idea down on the attempt to think outside the box. I think you chose the wrong player. Roache, now there's your minor league OF in the system to move to 1b. He has the power with the bat to fit in a 1b profile.

I'd settle for above average at this point. But I have no faith in Doug Melvin finding it.

I guess the way I feel about 1B right now is that it's not a huge issue as of this moment. Yes, our likely production there isn't good, & there's no internal help coming anytime soon. But there's nowhere to go but up, & no real impending doom timeline. I don't think the team as currently constructed is of a legit deep-in-the-postseason caliber, so it's not like finding that .800-.850 OPS bat there is the difference between glory & pain. If everything breaks in our favor this season, you have a Reynolds who could post an .800-ish OPS, so that upside is at least possible.

But at this point, the team can take the long-term approach & look to find a great -- not just good -- option at 1B. And I think I'd much rather see them focus on that, because that caliber of player could very well be the cog that pushes them over the edge from being an also-ran to being a legit contender.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

It is beyond me why we want anything to do with a 1B (Reynolds) that will strike out 200 times, hit .220 if we are lucky, and be a defensive liability... 25 home runs do not make up for all his shortcomings.

It angers me that is our plan going into 2014.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Victor Roache has a much better chance to be the 1B of the future in as little of 2 years, or less.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

It is beyond me why we want anything to do with a 1B (Reynolds) that will strike out 200 times, hit .220 if we are lucky, and be a defensive liability... 25 home runs do not make up for all his shortcomings.

It angers me that is our plan going into 2014.

I'm not that upset with the decision as you seem to be. I'd go with the better defensive 1B man with way less strikeouts any day of the week. Guys we are going to have the #1 offense in baseball even with our current 1B offensive projection production. Overbay has a better eye at the plate and makes way more contact and plays good defense at 1B than reynolds. As a temporary solution that works.

A platoon is still possible also, just replace Reynolds with Jason Rogers.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

I was watching the Brewers on MLBTV on Sunday and he made some real nice plays at first. I have never seen him play before Sunday and real small sample but it was a good first impression.

I was watching the Brewers on MLBTV on Sunday and he made some real nice plays at first. I have never seen him play before Sunday and real small sample but it was a good first impression.

His minor league numbers are pretty good also, so he has history of success. He has good power and good plate discipline and his OBP last season proves it. Also, did good in the AFL, in off-season.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=595386

• 2 weeks later...

Bump this discussion back to the top now with a different spin...

Now that we know it will be Reynolds and Overbay, do you think the best option is a hard platoon or would you go with a soft platoon of Reynolds 80% and Overbay 20%?

I prefer the idea of the soft platoon, especially given RR's likelihood of wanting to trot out a lineup of Overbay at 1B and Reynolds at 3B when Ramirez needs a day off. I would much prefer Bianchi to start at 3B on the days Ramirez is off and Reynolds-Overbay remaining strictly 1B.

I'd give Overbay just enough starts to keep whatever bat he has left somewhat sharp. Certainly no more than 1 per week, likely a day game following a night game. With defense being a concern, Bianchi needs to be the guy giving Ramirez rest. Besides with 2 2b, and Segura in there virtually every day, Bianchi will need to play occasionally somewhere, even filling in in the outfield once in a while.

Archived