Brewer Fanatic

Why Platoon 1B?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't see Mark Attanasio sitting back after having watched the merry-go-round at 1B last season, and allowing Doug Melvin to stand pat this season. I think a trade or surprise free agent signing will happen.

I had the same thought after the Garza signing, and still think there's a good chance we trade some of our pitching prospects for a 1B. However, we can't say Melvin "stood pat." They may not be the signings some fans want, but it seems Reynolds was signed to be our everyday 1B and Overbay signed to potentially replace Francisco as backup 1B/LH bat off the bench. Last year, we played shortstops and catchers at 1B for a good share of the season, so signing guys who actually are first basemen is a step ahead of last year.

If I had to guess, I think Melvin is probably okay with Reynolds at 1B. It will just depend on whether Attanasio is okay with it. I don't like that Morales' agent is Boras, because I think Boras knows how to play Attanasio, and if there aren't other suitors, I'm sure Boras is wining & dining Attanasio trying to get him to up the budget to sign Morales.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Morales shouldn't be an option for all the reasons already mentioned by previous posters.

I think once Nelson Cruz has signed, we will see the 1B market change. If Cruz goes to Seattle, then Smoak becomes available. If he re-signs in Texas, Moreland likely becomes available as they already have Rios, Martin & Choo in the OF. I just don't see the Brewers giving significant time to either Overbay or Francisco, especially in a year they think they are contenders.

I am not a Mark Reynolds fan at all but I will give him a partial mulligan for his time in Cle which is just murder on RH power hitters. At the start of the off season I said that both Reynolds and Drew Stubbs were going to underperform their career numbers because of it. I wouldn't trust Reynolds as a full time player though, he is in decline and was not an amazing player even before that.

Francisco is a human strike out.

Mark Reynolds strikes out about once in every three at bats, just like Francisco does. They are pretty similar hitters exact for batting from the opposite sides. Reynolds has a better walk rate over his career, but Fransisco walks at a decent rate himself.

I still think Moreland is the guy Melvin wants and he's waiting (hoping) the Rangers make a move to bring back Cruz.

I think a real sleeper in camp is Eugenio Velez. He's played everywhere in his career but 1B (and C), and he's a much better LH hitter (.913 OPS vs. RHP in AAA last year). Given what they did last year, is it that big a stretch for him to see time at 1B?

Plus he's the one guy versatile enough that for them to get away with carrying both Gennett and Weeks on the roster as Velez would fill the 5th OF spot, something they wouldn't have if they send down Gindl to make room for 7 infielders.

what they did last year, is it that big a stretch for him to see time at 1B?

It should be a stretch considering he's an awful hitter and we have at least 5 options that are better than him.

It would be just like last year having a SS/Utility IF playing first base. If that were to happen again, Doug or Ron or somebody should be fired on the spot.

I still think Moreland is the guy Melvin wants and he's waiting (hoping) the Rangers make a move to bring back Cruz.

I think the guy/s Melvin is waiting on is Cruz/Morales going to Seattle to make Smoak available. Jack Z knows the Brewers system and I have to think recognizes that Melvin needs a 1B and would be willing to part with his spare part, Smoak, in the event Cruz and/or Morales sign. A Cruz signing means Hart/Morrison/Smoak share 1B & DH. A Morales signing means Hart/Morrison/Smoak share RF & 1B. I just don't see the M's keeping Smoak as a backup IF.

Ugghhh.

I hate the fact we are still tossing around the same names for a key offensive position on this team. Francisco, Smoak, Reynolds, etc. As a fan, those names are pretty unexciting. I am 100% against Reynolds and Francisco (Overbay) even taking up roster space, much less get significant playing time. The thought of watching these bums all season long makes me ill.

And, jerichoholicninja is correct, if we try and get away with a non 1B filling that position again this year, someone needs to get canned ASAP!

Reynolds career K % is 37%... This is more than once every three at bats.

2007 - 35%

2008 - 38% (204)

2009 - 39% (223 = MLB record)

2010 - 42% (211 = 4th worst in MLB history)

2011 - 37% (196)

2012 - 35% (159)

2013 - 35% (154)

I just want no part of this kind of production in Milwaukee unless we are playing against him...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Ugghhh.

I hate the fact we are still tossing around the same names for a key offensive position on this team. Francisco, Smoak, Reynolds, etc. As a fan, those names are pretty unexciting. I am 100% against Reynolds and Francisco (Overbay) even taking up roster space, much less get significant playing time. The thought of watching these bums all season long makes me ill.

And, jerichoholicninja is correct, if we try and get away with a non 1B filling that position again this year, someone needs to get canned ASAP!

2007 - 35%

2008 - 38% (204)

2011 - 37% (196)

2012 - 35% (159)

2013 - 35% (154)

I just want no part of this kind of production in Milwaukee unless we are playing against him...

Thanks for the props but who else is there at this point? Give up a pitcher for Ike Davis? Give up a pick for Morales? Give the reigns to Morris?

Also, I'm far from one of those K-rates are pointless people but I don't see how posting his K-rate is at all relative to his offensive production. This is his OPS (HR) by season:

2007 - .843 (17)

2008 - .779 (28)

2009 - .892 (44)

2010 - .753 (32)

2011 - .806 (37)

2012 - .763 (23)

2013 - .699 (21)

Last year notwithstanding, he's a guaranteed .750 OPS with 20+ homeruns. Not a world beater for first base but at least that's serviceable, maybe even above average.

Reynolds may not be a star, but he's serviceable at least. I don't see how Davis, Moreland or Smoak are a big enough upgrades to give up Nelson or Thornburg which is what it would probably take to land them. They're all pretty mediocre themselves.
advocates for the devil

It's a long season, so I'm not too concerned what they do to start the year. Same thing as 2B with Weeks/Scoot for that matter. Ultimately, production (or lack thereof) will determine if someone plays full time, if the splits make sense to platoon, etc. Heck, maybe Morris tears it up in Spring and gets the job on Opening Day. There are options, and that's all I care about at this point. I'm just glad they didn't spend a ton at the postition.

Ugghhh.

2007 - 35%

2008 - 38% (204)

2011 - 37% (196)

2012 - 35% (159)

2013 - 35% (154)

Thanks for the props but who else is there at this point? Give up a pitcher for Ike Davis? Give up a pick for Morales? Give the reigns to Morris?

Also, I'm far from one of those K-rates are pointless people but I don't see how posting his K-rate is at all relative to his offensive production. This is his OPS (HR) by season:

2007 - .843 (17)

2008 - .779 (28)

2009 - .892 (44)

2010 - .753 (32)

2011 - .806 (37)

2012 - .763 (23)

2013 - .699 (21)

Last year notwithstanding, he's a guaranteed .750 OPS with 20+ homeruns. Not a world beater for first base but at least that's serviceable, maybe even above average.

Yea, as much as seeing Reynolds or a Reynolds platoon with whoever is far from ideal, look at the numbers of other rumored guys we'd have to trade for.

Smoak-- He was the 11th pick when he came out, but in four seasons he has a meager career .700 OPS. Seattle does play in a big park, but his road career OPS is only .733, so it's not like he kills it outside of Safeco.

Moreland-- He's been better than Smoak with a career .758 OPS over the same four seasons. That said, Texas likely would want quality talent in return because keeping Moreland allows them to switch him and Fielder between 1st/DH duties. I'd assume they would have reservations about going into the season with Prince having to play everyday at firstbase in that Texas heat.

Davis-- He started out pretty well, but not great over his first three years. That said, he's a brutal Yuni like out machine vs lefty pitchers and his power also mostly vanishes. So the Mets want a quality pitching prospect for him and any team who acquired him would be foolish to not platoon a guy they just traded a pitching prospect for.

Of the three, i like Moreland the most, but he's the least likely to be traded. Smoak really only has name recognition over being a high draft pick and Davis can only be started vs righthanded pitchers unless someone enjoys watching him flail away helplessly vs lefthanded pitchers. The one area they would be a clear improvement though is defensively, but not to where i'd give up Nelson or Thornburg. Morales would cost a first round pick, so that's an immediate no go for me.

What else is realistically out there?

I think we are just stuck, for the 2nd straight year, with no good, or even average option at a key power/run producing position.

Oh how I miss Prince!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Juan Fran, 2-2 AB, 2 HR

Overbaynolds, 0-4 AB

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

You recall Davis won a job last year on the back of 6 spring home runs. By the time the weekend ends, this contest may be finished.

...and Hunter Morris was sent down after a few days of bad ST performance, opening the door for a multitude of shortstops to fail at first base, so I agree that a hot first week could cement Francisco as at least the large part of the platoon at 1B.

The scarier part is that Reynolds will probably be relied on to play a lot of games at 3B, especially if Ramirez misses time due to injury. I have to figure that just the defense of Reynolds at 3B and Francisco at 1B will cost us quite a few runs/wins, not to mention the below-average production they could bring with their bats.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived