Brewer Fanatic

Why Platoon 1B?

I am beginning to think that we have been duped by another one of Doug Melvin's smokescreens. I don't think we are going to see a platoon of 1B in 2014 at all. I have been going over the 1B situation and while I may want to see Butler, Smoak, Morrison, Moreland or even Ike Davis on the Brewers in 2014, I think Mark Reynolds is our guy and will be THE guy at 1B in 2014. I believe Melvin when he stated he wanted a "true 1B" for the Brewers this season and Francisco proved in 2013, he was not that guy. Taking D into account (Francisco was a -1 WAR on D alone) and then looking at the career O splits and I think Melvin's plan is revealed.

Do we really need to platoon 1B?

Reynolds against RHP: .232/.317/.460

Francisco against RHP: .252/.312/.464

Additionally, Francisco serves no purpose as a PH against intelligent managers. Bring in the LOOGY:

Francisco against LHP: .179/.218/.221 in 101 PA only 4 XBH and ZERO (0) HR.

The man is not good on D at any position 3B or 1B, he can't hit LHP and his statistics against RHP are matched by a guy playing the same position as him. I have to think that Melvin recognizes these shortcomings and Juan Francisco is not long for the roster, let alone as the greater side of a platoon at 1B.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Career split numbers for guys in their decline don't tell you the real story. Look at what Reynolds hit a year ago against RHP -.218/.298/.386/.684

He needs a platoon partner and even an awful option like Juan Francisco or Lyle Overbay is an improvement.

@WiscoSportsNut

I agree wholeheartedly with your reasoning. Reynolds should be the guy and I think he is. This is a guy for all his warts and massive strikeout numbers has put up big HR and RBI numbers in the not so hitter friendly NL West and should still be in his prime. The only caveat to that is if Ramirez' knee acts up, in which case Reynolds might end up at 3rd.

That opens up 1B again, with the survivor of Francisco/Overbay likely sharing with Halton who'd be called up.

You're right about Melvin having a bunch of smokescreens up right now.

Career split numbers for guys in their decline don't tell you the real story. Look at what Reynolds hit a year ago against RHP -.218/.298/.386/.684

He needs a platoon partner and even an awful option like Juan Francisco or Lyle Overbay is an improvement.

That's a good point Bnowell about Reynolds last season...However, I think that Melvin is using a smoke screen of a platoon with Juan Francisco or Lyle Overbay. They just are not good options and they would be playing a majority of the time if it were a strict platoon. Reynolds was signed to be the guy.

That's a good point Bnowell about Reynolds last season...However, I think that Melvin is using a smoke screen of a platoon with Juan Francisco or Lyle Overbay. They just are not good options and they would be playing a majority of the time if it were a strict platoon. Reynolds was signed to be the guy.

I would hardly call Reynolds a "good option" either. Hence why he was signed on a minor league deal with a 2 million MLB salary if he makes the team. Is he the best option we have...maybe, but that's hardly saying much.

Even those splits vs. RHP last year were not so dramatically different than his LHP spilts: .225/.319/.406. Is he really "in decline" or did he find the going tougher in a different league. Hard to say. It's not like Weeks who's had a variety of injuries and often doesn't really resemble the guy he was earlier. I think you go with Reynolds for at least a couple hundred AB's. If he's not productive, then you look at other options.

Keep Reynolds

Cut Francisco

Cut Overbay

Keep Taylor Green...

...tah dah!

Green can platoon with Reynolds and give A-Ram a break once a week.

If A-Ram gets hurt, bring up Hunter Morris and let Green go to 3rd Base with Bianchi. All you need is a manager that can play percentages with the opposing starting pitchers.

This was interesting from MLBTradeRumors.com:

The Royals avoided arbitration earlier with Bonifacio earlier this month, agreeing to a one-year, $3.5MM contract. However, since that time, they've agreed to bring lefty Bruce Chen back into the mix in 2014 and chosen to designate Bonifacio for assignment to clear roster space. The Royals were unable to find a trading partner and placed Bonifacio on release waivers two days ago. Arbitration contracts are not fully guaranteed, and as Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports pointed out yesterday, Kansas City is only on the hook for roughly $575K of that $3.5MM guarantee.

The article is about Bonifacio, but for the Brewers, it pertains to Francisco. There was discussion on this site as to whether or not Francisco's contract was guaranteed, since he did not go through arbitration. It appears that if the Brewers did decide to cut Francisco, he would not be owed his full contract.

I do agree with WTP that Reynolds will be the "everyday" first baseman, and I believe that one of Francisco / Overbay will remain on the roster as our primary LH bat off the bench / backup 1B / insurance at 3B (see jerichoholicninja's post). I thought it would almost have to be Francisco, but the MLBTraderumors snippet keeps Overbay in the race.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Keep Reynolds

Cut Francisco

Cut Overbay

Keep Taylor Green...

...tah dah!

If A-Ram gets hurt, bring up Hunter Morris and let Green go to 3rd Base with Bianchi. All you need is a manager that can play percentages with the opposing starting pitchers.

Green was dfa'd by the Brewers and no one wanted him. I hope he's able to bring his stock up with a good season at AAA, but he's not going to be an option to start the season.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Keep Reynolds

Cut Francisco

Cut Overbay

Keep Taylor Green...

...tah dah!

Wow. Glad you're not building the team I follow. What has Taylor Green ever done to merit playing time at the major league level, particulary coming off major surgery and sitting out a year as a result? He's cheap. That's it.

Taylor Green was DFA'd because doing so could free a roster spot with reasonable certainty that he wouldn't be claimed on account of his surgery. Keeping him in the organization that way is a smart way to add depth with a known quantity who has twice been the team's Minor League Position Player of the Year. He may not be a future all-star, but he's proved at times he can be very solid.

He has had some decent stretches (nothing stellar, but still decent), made good contact, had some good ABs, and, assuming he's healthy, sizes up better both offensively and defensively than Overbay currently does. I'm all over Mr. Southpaw's proposed plan. He's the best backup-or-maybe-starting 3B of the lot (after Ramirez) and can also play 1B, 2B, plus the corner OF spots in a pinch.

Francisco is a human strike out. If he would or could improve, I would reconsider my opinion. Watching him with the Braves (when he had one hot streak) you wouls say "when will he come back to earth". He has and remains. I see nothing that he can do, other than hit home runs, that is better than what Green can do.

Overbay is just an older version of Green. Why pay more and get less?

Thanks MNBrew, Taylor Green is much more versatile than either of the other first base options. He and Bianchi make a good infield back up pair because of versatility, relative youth, and cost.

Keep Reynolds

Cut Francisco

Cut Overbay

Keep Taylor Green...

...tah dah!

Wow. Glad you're not building the team I follow. What has Taylor Green ever done to merit playing time at the major league level, particulary coming off major surgery and sitting out a year as a result? He's cheap. That's it.

Green can play 3b. Overbay can't. Francisco allegedly can, but he's a disaster at 1b and worse at 3b. For that reason alone, Green would be a better bench option for the Brewers.

I personally think our Opening Day starting first baseman isn't even on the roster yet. Especially after the Garza signing.

Hopefully you're right...However, if true, we need to temper our expectations for who that trade would be for (i.e Smoak or Ike as has been discussed at length).

Anyone recall the last blockbuster Spring Training trade?

I personally think our Opening Day starting first baseman isn't even on the roster yet. Especially after the Garza signing.

Hopefully you're right...However, if true, we need to temper our expectations for who that trade would be for (i.e Smoak or Ike as has been discussed at length).

Anyone recall the last blockbuster Spring Training trade?

I'm not sure. As far as the Brewers, while not a blockbuster, the Cutter Dykstra for Nyjer Morgan trade turned out to be a huge win for the Brewers that addressed an area of need.

I can't see Mark Attanasio sitting back after having watched the merry-go-round at 1B last season, and allowing Doug Melvin to stand pat this season. I think a trade or surprise free agent signing will happen.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I really like Green as a first base option, but here is another option. People have been talking about us getting Seattle's junk after they sign Kendrys Morales. Why don't we just sign him? His agent is Boras. We signed Lohse late last year and KRod this year, both Boris guys. Maybe two years with a little discount on his five million dollar contract from last year. Two years/eight million? If we are going to make a run, this seems a better option. Even if we do a two year/eleven or twelve million, we don't have to pay Francisco/ Overbay/Reynolds.

Not for a first round pick. As bad as our drafts have been I still hate giving up the pick. I also think our drafting has improved as we have more high ceiling talent in the low minors now.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived