Brewer Fanatic

Roy Oswalt retires

reillymcshane
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Roy Oswalt has retired.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10437267/roy-oswalt-decides-retire

Quite an impressive run - 150 wins over a 10-year span (2001-2010). Two 20 game win seasons. Averaged over 200 innings a year in that time frame. In retrospect, pretty amazing.

Went down hill starting with injuries in 2011. 2012 and 2013 he was awful.

Good reminder that injuries can derail a career pretty quick. He had 7 consecutive years of 30 or more starts. I'm sure people thought he was a durable guy. But that ended in 2011 (23 starts). Then the wheels fell off. Last year he had a 8.63 ERA. Ouch.

Still, nice career for Roy.

Was on a sure HOF trajectory till the last 3 seasons. He probably needed about 2 more typical Roy Oswalt seasons to be HOF worthy in all likelihood.

Halladay, Carpenter and now Oswalt. Now that's 3 of the most significant pitchers of the last 15 years all calling it quits due to injuries. Halladay is the only one with enough credentials to be a sure HOFer. Carpenter and Oswalt might have needed another couple quality years still both should get consideration.

Was on a sure HOF trajectory till the last 3 seasons. He probably needed about 2 more typical Roy Oswalt seasons to be HOF worthy in all likelihood.

He was amazing. I hated when the Brewers faced him - he looked totally unhittable most of the time. Loved watching him, though.

Early in his career I remember him going against Sheets a few times and thinking he might be better than Sheets each time. Kind of always followed his career after that. Hope he doesn't carry any "what if" thoughts in his retirement.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I remember a time when I was SUPER scared of Oswalt and Wade Miller when the Brewers used to face Houston. Oswalt was one of my favorites to watch.

Good reference on Wade Miller. I am too lazy to look up the numbers right now, but he always seemed to kill us every time.

I remember a time when I was SUPER scared of Oswalt and Wade Miller when the Brewers used to face Houston. Oswalt was one of my favorites to watch.

Good reference on Wade Miller. I am too lazy to look up the numbers right now, but he always seemed to kill us every time.

Wade Miller career vs. Milwaukee:

11-2, 102.2 IP, 2.98 ERA, 1.14 WHIP, 8.4 K/9

Wade Miller career:

62-46, 894.1 IP, 4.10 ERA, 1.359 WHIP, 7.5 K/9

So, yes, he killed us. But to be fair he was pitching against some pretty terrible Milwaukee teams.

Hope he doesn't carry any "what if" thoughts in his retirement.

i hope he doesn't because i don't see any reason he should. a consistently awesome pitcher, and probably underappreciated League-wide only because he played on some pretty awful Astros teams. he's probably the hero of every undersized minor league pitcher out there.

Archived