Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign K-Rod - 1 year / 3.25 mil

chadomac
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't like guys who beat up women, even if they play sports.

Agree completely. Wish the team would've wiped their hands of him. Oh the irony of the people boo'ing Braun for lying and cheering KRod.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I don't like guys who beat up women, even if they play sports.

Agree completely. Wish the team would've wiped their hands of him. Oh the irony of the people boo'ing Braun for lying and cheering KRod.

What about people who boo both? I honestly don't care what type of person they are as long as they help the team win. They don't affect my life other than the 3 hours I watch so I would prefer we have the best players possible.

And the price isn't that bad. Not too long ago we gave David Riske $4.25M a year.

@WiscoSportsNut

What about people who boo both? I honestly don't care what type of person they are as long as they help the team win. They don't affect my life other than the 3 hours I watch so I would prefer we have the best players possible.

And the price isn't that bad. Not too long ago we gave David Riske $4.25M a year.

I have 2 separate thoughts on this on this and similar posts.

1) K-Rod, he's a first class freaking douche and character should always matter, maybe that speaks to a larger issue with our society in general that so many people won't care who or what a guy is as long as he offers the perception of helping them in some way... in this case the "we're a better a team with him" mentality. In addition to his abusive past his mechanics also stink so he's prone to extended bouts of leaving the ball up where he gets shelled. As TLB noted, we have no idea which K-Rod is going to show up this season, he could be a disaster regardless of the price.

2) Just because a contract may not be as bad as a previously horrible FA contract handed out by the organization, that doesn't make the current contract being discussed a good deal, or money well spent. I always have and will always struggle with the reverse justification of "well it was better than player X's contract"... doesn't matter if people are talking about Hammonds, Suppan, Hall, Gagne, whomever. While that idea may be true on paper, spending money poorly is still detrimental to the organization, there is really no excusing away dead money. The organization literally has a ton of good relief and back of the rotation options between AAA and AA, we didn't need K-Rod on a 1 year deal to solidify anything.

This is like having 4 1st basemen on the 40 man roster, with 2 more veterans on ST invites, or bringing in more 3-5 starting pitching types, it just doesn't make much sense as those moves do nothing to push the organization forward. These strategies continue to be incredibly micro in nature, where they only way they really make sense is if you narrow the focus to needing "Y number of established veterans for the 2014 MLB club". It's entirely possible that a youngster like Goforth would have outperformed K-Rod if given the chance.

Now that he's signed I don't really have a choice other than to hope he pitches well, but that doesn't mean I have to like the deal or the idea of bringing him back in general.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

1) K-Rod, he's a first class freaking douche and character should always matter, maybe that speaks to a larger issue with our society in general that so many people won't care who or what a guy is as long as he offers the perception of helping them in some way... in this case the "we're a better a team with him" mentality. In addition to his abusive past his mechanics also stink so he's prone to extended bouts of leaving the ball up where he gets shelled. As TLB noted, we have no idea which K-Rod is going to show up this season, he could be a disaster regardless of the price.

2) Just because a contract may not be as bad as a previously horrible FA contract handed out by the organization, that doesn't make the current contract being discussed a good deal, or money well spent. I always have and will always struggle with the reverse justification of "well it was better than player X's contract"... doesn't matter if people are talking about Hammonds, Suppan, Hall, Gagne, whomever. While that idea may be true on paper, spending money poorly is still detrimental to the organization, there is really no excusing away dead money. The organization literally has a ton of good relief and back of the rotation options between AAA and AA, we didn't need K-Rod on a 1 year deal to solidify anything.

This is like having 4 1st basemen on the 40 man roster, with 2 more veterans on ST invites, or bringing in more 3-5 starting pitching types, it just doesn't make much sense as those moves do nothing to push the organization forward. These strategies continue to be incredibly micro in nature, where they only way they really make sense is if you narrow the focus to needing "Y number of established veterans for the 2014 MLB club". It's entirely possible that a youngster like Goforth would have outperformed K-Rod if given the chance.

Now that he's signed I don't really have a choice other than to hope he pitches well, but that doesn't mean I have to like the deal or the idea of bringing him back in general.

I am going to 100% agree with what you just said. Any number of guys could outperform K-Rod. I would of liked to see 3 million spent on a hitter, but 3 mil isn't going to get anything nowadays.

K-Rod was putrid the 2nd half of last season, if we get that K-Rod, things will suck pretty fast around here...

Went over this statement in Rumors, he was put in many a situation where the outcome was all but decided. He wasn't needed to be a 2ERA guy when the score wasn't close.

We will get the 2nd half KRod if we use him in situations when the score isn't close.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-fuFn9aGQKXQ/URv8-NXj4eI/AAAAAAAADC0/JZC3uKeI7t8/s640/Debbie%2BDowner.png

K-Rod was putrid the 2nd half of last season, if we get that K-Rod, things will suck pretty fast around here...

He only pitched 20 innings for Baltimore. It only takes a few bad outings in that limited number of innings for an ERA to go up.

I'm not exactly thrilled by the signing, but when looking at his overall numbers from last year, the main positive for me was that he was able to strikeout 54 batters in 46 innings, while only issuing 14 walks. I'd be much more concerned if his K numbers were declining than a 4.50 ERA over a small sample of only 20 innings.

He's generally allowed baserunners since his velocity dropped from his Angels days to low 90's, so if he stopped being able to get strikeouts, getting out of innings would become a struggle.

Pretty sure K-Rod has never been convicted of any crimes, so I'm not sure where people get off on calling out his characters and such.

Because they were dropped.

http://waukesha.patch.com/groups/police-and-fire/p/brewers-pitcher-rodriguez-charged-with-domestic-abuse

When there is smoke there is usually fire. I am not saying he did everything in the article but it smells fishy. Clearly he did something wrong ... Now is he the worst person in the world for having 1 criminal charge against "beating" a woman? ... Probably not - so I agree with you that I don't like it when people emphatically denounce him as a world class douche. You don't know him - nor do I. We just base his appearance off the 1% of his private life we get to see. To me, that doesn't put him on the list as others have done worse. See Yo drinking and driving and putting lives at risk.

Yuck, just can not get rid of this guy. The Brewers will probably end up with 5 guys better than Rodriguez in AAA. The guy in the bullpen with the most money will also be the worst.

Are people completely forgetting the numbers he put up with the Brewers last year before being traded? He was pretty awesome, and while he's not likely to be that good again, I doubt he's as bad as the 4.5 ERA he put up in Baltimore. Somewhere in between is going to be pretty good, especially for a guy that can step right into the closers role if need be.

I don't condone abuse obviously, but charges were dropped, so we don't necessarily know everything. Though I'm sure he did something wrong, we don't know and are jumping to conclusions that aren't necessarily fair.

Yuck, just can not get rid of this guy. The Brewers will probably end up with 5 guys better than Rodriguez in AAA. The guy in the bullpen with the most money will also be the worst.

Are people completely forgetting the numbers he put up with the Brewers last year before being traded? He was pretty awesome, and while he's not likely to be that good again, I doubt he's as bad as the 4.5 ERA he put up in Baltimore. Somewhere in between is going to be pretty good, especially for a guy that can step right into the closers role if need be.

I don't condone abuse obviously, but charges were dropped, so we don't necessarily know everything. Though I'm sure he did something wrong, we don't know and are jumping to conclusions that aren't necessarily fair.

And the season before, he put up a 4.38 ERA over a full season. Like TheCrew07 noted, his velocity has long since ceased being an edge for him, & his mechanics aren't strong. You just have no idea what you're going to get from him.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

A quick Google search will show that the Waukesha County incident is not the only one in Mr. Rodriguez's history. I appreciate "innocent before proven guilty" in the eyes of the law. But I'm not going to let the court's action or inaction determine what I think of someone. There's enough noise out there about him that gives me reason to think there have been times when he's not been a good guy.

Others are free to reach their own conclusions.

And the season before, he put up a 4.38 ERA over a full season. Like TheCrew07 noted, his velocity has long since ceased being an edge for him, & his mechanics aren't strong. You just have no idea what you're going to get from him.

You can say the same thing for every reliever out there.

@WiscoSportsNut

I think one thing most have overlooked and an overlying reason why I am relatively ok with this signing is that this will be the first year we were going to be going into the season without closer options if our established closer goes down or is ineffective. In recent memory, we always had KRod, Hawkins, Saito, etc as a fallback in case Axford or whomever stopped performing. I understand that Kintzler, Thornburg, etc could possibly/probably outperform KRod but we know the latter has experience and has succeeded as a closer in the past and having that in our back pocket if Henderson falters makes me feel better, whether it is a placebo or not.

Plus, I will chuckle inside if/when Henderson goes on the DL for 25 days before the deadline and KRod comes in as an effective temporary closer and gets traded to a contender for a moderate prospect.

Go Crew.

I can't shake the feeling that if KRod v3 is any good then doug will be all over Yuni v3....

Wow. This could be a great thread in itself. With KRod v2 not being terrible and Yuni v2 being a disaster .. can we get opinions on the best v2's and v3's (if applicable) in Brewers history?

Archived