Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign K-Rod - 1 year / 3.25 mil

chadomac

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yikes! $3.25 million with the potential to get to $3.8 million. I didn't think he would get that much but I do like the signing. The Brewers staff and rotation heading into Spring Training looks a little set already:

SP (5): Gallardo, Lohse, Garza, Estrada, Peralta

RP (6): Henderson, K-Rod, Kintzler, Smith, Thornburg, Gorzelanny.

If all breaks the way it should, Wooten/Hand/Blazek may be fighting for one spot (or two if Gorzelanny starts on the DL).

That seems like a bunch of money for the coinflip of whether or not you're getting sub-3.00 ERA K-Rod, or 4.50-ish ERA K-Rod. I know I should be ok with this deal in a baseball sense, but when you add in the domestic abuse crap, I'm not a fan at all.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

May or may not be worth the money, though marginal wins (or fractions of wins) became a bit more valuable to the Brewers after the Garza signing. I said before that I think it would not be in the Brewers' best interests to dish out over $1 mil for another reliever, and I stand by that, even if I do understand the reasoning for the signing.

I'd like to see them add another LOOGY type on a minor league deal. With Gorzelanny out, the only left handed pitchers in camp are Smith, Duke, and Wang. Clayton Richard maybe?

Considering what Neshek got from St. Louis, it does seem like an overpay. Still overall the bullpen in general is pretty economical. I really don't see them adding anyone else.

I don't see them adding a LOOGY. Duke was brought in to be insurance if Gorzelanny isn't ready to start the year. Gonzalez was a bad sign last year, so I hope they don't add someone just to add someone.

I think with the possibility now of using Thornburg in the pen, they have enough candidates.

Yikes! $3.25 million with the potential to get to $3.8 million. I didn't think he would get that much but I do like the signing. The Brewers staff and rotation heading into Spring Training looks a little set already:

If all breaks the way it should, Wooten/Hand/Blazek may be fighting for one spot (or two if Gorzelanny starts on the DL).

I think a bunch of us seen this coming. And let's just say that a bunch of us here can likely put down the next predictable move is Thornburg for Ike Davis next. Since the Bullpen seems crowded, and no doubt in my mind Mark A./Melvin will get scared like last season with signing Lohse late in ST and take on Davis to be 1b over Reynolds.

Back to KRod. I'm a fan overall in the thinking he will be a positive addition to the Pen. He obviously answers the question to who closes if Henderson struggles/goes on the DL. It's a 1year deal so you figure he playing for his next contract. All in all, ok we are adding to that darkhorse team potential.

I think a bunch of us seen this coming. And let's just say that a bunch of us here can likely put down the next predictable move is Thornburg for Ike Davis next. Since the Bullpen seems crowded, and no doubt in my mind Mark A./Melvin will get scared like last season with signing Lohse late in ST and take on Davis to be 1b over Reynolds.

I am all for this provided it isn't Thornburg or Nelson that is traded. Kintzler can be dealt or any number of the other Triple AAA arms the Brewers have but not Thornburg or Nelson.

I Thought that Thornburg for Davis talk was done.

As long as Thornburg or Nelson isn't dealt, I hope the talks aren't over... Ike makes so much sense for the Brewers.

Davis/Reynolds platoon would be ideal.

I Thought that Thornburg for Davis talk was done.

Yeah it is, for the moment, just like the Lohse rumors stopped this time of year last year. Just saying that I'm predicting once ST starts and the team watches Reynolds whiff at the plate they'll freak out and go back to their original idea of acquiring Ike Davis. The Bullpen is crowded at the moment and very much so if they keep Wang. So I foresee the Davis trade rumors heating up in a month's time.

Isn't a mil here or there really irrelevant to us as fans in a one year deal? There is no salary cap and this won't effect us getting someone else later in the season. It's cool if people like to play GM and speculate on the best dollar spent, however, the money shouldn't change anything for this year right? Besides maybe brats at Miller going from $6.50 to $6.55.

Isn't a mil here or there really irrelevant to us as fans in a one year deal? There is no salary cap and this won't effect us getting someone else later in the season. It's cool if people like to play GM and speculate on the best dollar spent, however, the money shouldn't change anything for this year right? Besides maybe brats at Miller going from $6.50 to $6.55.

That's pretty much where i'm at

While 3 million seems maybe a bit pricey, if K-Rod had gotten 2 million instead of 3, would it really matter much in the grand scheme of things for the payroll this year? Plus, his K/BB ratio was really good last year, so if he pitches well and the team struggles, by being only owed around 1.5 million at the deadline, maybe he could be flipped again for a prospect.

My only real beef with the money is i'd probably rather spend that on some young Latin free agents and hope to hit big, thus adding to our pretty bleak farm system. Then again, in today's exploding salary structure, 3 million dollars is practically nothing

$3.25 Million is a bit more than I expected; but its not absurd or anything. Last I heard is Gorzo is unlikely to be ready. You have Smith who is more of a multi inning guy. I wouldn't be real excited if Duke is our loogy. I am hoping Blazek somehow makes the team; he has got some potential

Correct me if I'm wrong, but, according to Cot's, it looks like this contract is going to put the Brewers' Opening Day payroll at right around $100 mil, which feels more significant than it probably is, at least taking into consideration the new baseball economy.

Maybe we're just at the point where a nice depth move costs 3.25 mil. Like others have said, I don't really see a lot of risk here, and it seems likely K-Rod will help the team this year. If he has even a small role in keeping this team in contention in late summer and early fall, then it's absolutely worth it.

I'm not even a huge fan of Thornburg, but we better not be trading one of our good young pitchers. Especially not for someone like Ike Davis who isn't even much of an upgrade over what we already have. If this team is going to be any good going forward we need at least one of Thornburg and Nelson to be an average ML starter. I'm higher on Nelson than Thorny, but I definitely wouldn't give up on either of them. This team has been garbage at growing SP forever and now we've finally got a trio of guys with some promise if you add in Peralta. It's not time to start getting rid of them.
advocates for the devil

Archived