Brewer Fanatic

RIP Ralph Kiner

TooLiveBrew

Link -- this is a great read

Ralph Kiner, baseball’s vastly undersung slugger, who belted more home runs than anyone else over his 10-year career but whose achievements in the batter’s box were obscured by his decades in the broadcast booth, where he was one of the game’s most recognizable personalities, died on Thursday at home in Rancho Mirage, Calif. He was 91.

http://static01.nyt.com/images/2014/02/07/arts/KINER-1-obit/KINER-1-obit-articleLarge.jpg

Kiner, who hit 369 homers, playing for the Pittsburgh Pirates in 1947. Associated Press

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I have been listening to podcasts from WFAN from Ron Darling, Bobby Valentine, Howie Rose, Gary Cohen & Keith Hernandez talking to Mike Francesa and Steve Somers about Kiner.

He must have been a tremendous guy, based on the reverence poured out about him. It's stunning that he was in baseball from the time he was a teenager until he was 91.

Tony Kornheiser describes someone who lives that long as "outkicking his coverage", meaning that his greatness is often overlooked at the time of his death, since there aren't many left who bore witness to it. I think that's true of Kiner the player. And his broadcasting was almost exclusively with the Mets, so he didn't really shine brightly outside of the New York viewing area.

So he was a huge figure, but mostly in a different time and place. By all accounts, he was very generous with autograph requests. He reminds me a little like Harmon Killebrew, who was also revered as a true gentleman.

Rest in Peace, Mr. Kiner.

Tony Kornheiser describes someone who lives that long as "outkicking his coverage", meaning that his greatness is often overlooked at the time of his death, since there aren't many left who bore witness to it. I think that's true of Kiner the player.

The other day on the radio, I heard that Kiner dated Marilyn Monroe back in the day. That would also qualify him for "outkicking his coverage" in my book.

Until injuries brought him down, the guy was truly a beast. Very under appreciated player.

Tony Kornheiser describes someone who lives that long as "outkicking his coverage", meaning that his greatness is often overlooked at the time of his death, since there aren't many left who bore witness to it. I think that's true of Kiner the player.

The other day on the radio, I heard that Kiner dated Marilyn Monroe back in the day. That would also qualify him for "outkicking his coverage" in my book.

Until injuries brought him down, the guy was truly a beast. Very under appreciated player.

The article has him pictured attending a movie premiere with Liz Taylor. Apparently the guy did ok for himself.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I know a man is more than just his playing career, but Kiner's run from 1947-53 is jaw-dropping... especially when you consider that he was a RH hitter playing in this park:

http://i.imgur.com/zKM3kj4.gif

His power must have been a sight to behold.

Yeah, have to agree there. Anyone who could put up his power numbers in that joint ......wow. I know there are some who would say "he'd hit 50 in today's band boxes".........well, I'm sure that's possible, but......let's just say he'd be a premier slugger, and leave it at that.

Yeah, have to agree there. Anyone who could put up his power numbers in that joint ......wow. I know there are some who would say "he'd hit 50 in today's band boxes".........well, I'm sure that's possible, but......let's just say he'd be a premier slugger, and leave it at that.

Heck, he hit 50 twice with that home park!

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Heck, he hit 50 twice with that home park!

I know. I meant to say 60!

Ralph Kiner and Roberto Clemente have long been my favorite two Pirates (Pittsburgh is my second favorite team going back to my childhood). I knew this day would come, but I'm deeply saddened by Mr. Kiner's passing.

I've never understood the lack of appreciation for him. That he hit 369 home runs in ten years, playing seven of those seasons in that home park, is nothing short of remarkable. And anybody that says "well, he was a home run hitter, and nothing more" really needs to educate themselves. Yes, he was an elite slugger. Yes, he led the National League in home runs his first seven seasons, and the Major Leagues in the six seasons following his rookie year. Yes, the feat of seven consecutive home run titles has never been duplicated in the history of major League Baseball (the Babe managed only six). Yes, the 215 home runs in his first five seasons are still a major League record. Yes, he had four 3 home run games. His OPS+ of 149 was higher than Willie McCovey (147), Mike Schmidt (147), Willie Stargell (147), and our own Ryan Braun (146). If you look at his OPS+ during the prime of his career (before his back problems really started slowing him), 1946-1953, his 155 is higher than Miguel Cabrera, Joey Votto, Frank Robinson, Honus Wagner, and Napolean Lajoie, and tied with Hank Aaron, Mel Ott and Joe DiMaggio, and one point behind Willie Mays!

Kiner in his ten seasons, the first seven with a Pirates team that won 492 games and lost 739, managed to drive in 1,015 players, and averaged 112 RBI for every 162 games played for his career. When you consider the dearth of talent around him, that's incredible. He also walked 1,007 times against 742 strikeouts.

Besides his aforementioned broadcasting career with the Mets, he served his country as a Navy pilot in WWII. He was loved as one of the game's true gentlemen. And, he dated two of Hollywood's leading ladies, not only Elizabeth Taylor, but Janet Leigh (Psycho, The Manchurian Candidate. She was Jamie Lee Curtis' mother).

http://ww4.hdnux.com/photos/26/20/74/5836567/3/628x471.jpghttp://metspolice.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/leigh.jpg

When I first started buying vintage baseball cards again about three years ago, the first one I bought was not a Yount, Aaron, or a Clemente. It was this Ralph Kiner. It's still one of my favorite cards:

http://imageshack.com/a/img28/4273/7kir.png

Rest in Peace, Mr. Kiner. Thank you for your service to our country, and for being one of the best men to ever step onto the baseball field. You made the world a better place with your class and grace.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Thank you, TLB. I am excited that baseball season is drawing near, so I can jump back into the discussions here. :)
There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Archived