Brewer Fanatic

Happy Birthday Hank

whizkid

One of my boyhood heroes from the 50s and 60s. Many memories.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mil/mike-bauman-happy-birthday-hank-aaron-and-thank-you?ymd=20140205&content_id=67467008&vkey=news_mil

I recall being at this game. When we got home I trotted around the house in Hank's nonchalant way, my elbows pumping high behind me.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/tht-live/50th-anniversary-hank-aarons-walk-off-grand-slam/

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I was lucky to see Hank play. It was his last year in Milwaukee and my school had a trip to a Brewers game. I don't remember much (I was maybe 10 or 11 at the time), but I do remember Aaron. We all sat in the left field bleachers, and he came out to the warning track, signed some baseballs and tossed them up in the stands (I didn't get one).

I love the guy. Such as class act - treats the game, the city of Milwaukee, and the state of Wisconsin with respect.

One of my boyhood heroes from the 50s and 60s. Many memories.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mil/mike-bauman-happy-birthday-hank-aaron-and-thank-you?ymd=20140205&content_id=67467008&vkey=news_mil

I recall being at this game. When we got home I trotted around the house in Hank's nonchalant way, my elbows pumping high behind me.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/tht-live/50th-anniversary-hank-aarons-walk-off-grand-slam/

Though I wasn't at that game and don't remember it, I was at the game two days later vs. the Cardinals. It was an outing for our Cub scout pack from Fond du Lac. I remember it because we were in the RF bleachers, and late in the game Warren Spahn came out to the bullpen and that's about as close a look as I ever got at the great Warren Spahn. I remember it to this day. Oh yeah, the Braves who despite the thrilling comeback a couple nights before, were mired in a slump lost 2-0 thanks to a HR by Cardinal SS Julio Gotay of all people.

Aaron homered off of Sandy Koufax for the only Brave run in the first ever game I saw in June of 1958. I wasn't yet 6 years old. I had pestered my parents for weeks to take me to a game. That was #122 for Aaron. The last I saw Hank hit was #754, a 10th inning walk off shot to beat the Rangers to sweep a double header and make a winner out of Bill Castro. That was special and I remember it like it was yesterday. The crowd stood and cheered for close to 5 minutes until Hank came back out of the clubhouse to tip his cap. Hank mentions that one in his autobiography as being more memorable than his last one about 10 days later.

JB, I don't know how you recall the dates of those games, it's impressive, not just in this thread but in other posts you've made. I didn't know the date of the game I posted, or even what year. I had tried in the past to google the game I remembered but never turned up any articles about it. It must have been before 2012 when I last tried. This birthday thing prompted me to try again. I remembered that the Braves were down 3 in the bottom of the 9th and had scored a run before Hank came up. Didn't remember it had been Tommie Aaron homering though. Remembered it was against the cards at night, the walkoff GS and they had won by 2 runs. I remember my HR trot around the house best though. I was 13 at the time.

I can't remember the year of the 1st game I was ever at, I'm guessing it was 1956. I had an uncle who worked at Schlitz and could get free tickets and he got them more than a few times a year. I didn't like those tickets though. They were behind home plate near where the wives sat. But they were under the net and I wanted to catch foul balls dammit.

And btw dlk, having programmed/systems programmed on mainframes starting in the 70s it was easy to pick up PC skills when they first came along, wiseguy. ;)

Archived