Brewer Fanatic

Fantasy Baseball 2014

brewmann04

I may have an open slot in a 12 team keeper, fantasy points league, no money involved...

I filled the spot, however, I commish 3 Fantrax keeper leagues, so I may have another opening in the next couple weeks.

If you have never played at fantrax before, it is pretty awesome and FREE!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in 2 Leagues have the 4th pick in a year to year league. 9th pick in a 3man keeper league 2batters 1Pitcher. I was awful in picking batters last year: Kemp@4 1st rd, Stanton @21 2nd rd, Hamilton@28 3rd rd. Zimmerman@45 4th rd to start that I really don't have comfortable Keepers for the round picked. I did pick up Puig who would cost me 17th rd pick and that's a no brainer. I have Christian Yelich who if kept would cost me 18th rd selection.

My pitching was lights out from Grienke,Minor,Harvey, Corbin, Miller, Ryu, Cole, Gray....amazing huh? I completely whiffed using all my early picks towards batters because I hit HRs with Harvey/Minor,Miller,Ryu in 13th rd selections or later.

Since Harvey is out he's obviously out for keeper. Minor costs 14th rd, Miller 18th rd. and Ryu 21st rd. Cole or Gray would be 18/ or 19th rd keepers.

Other offense guys that I don't see as keeper worthy:

Ramos C

Adams 1b

Kendrick 2b

Hardy SS

Crisp DH-now a 2nd Util

Lind Util

Hamilton SS/OF

Do I keep Yelich at 18 since we have 3 year contracts for Keepers vs keeping say Stanton at 3rd rd or Zimmerman at 4th rd.? If I knew Adams had a full time spot open for 1b I'd consider keeping him. I feel like I have this thought out correctly with Puig/Yelich 17/18 cost and Miller at 18 rd cost. I offered up Ryu for draft pick in trade but doesn't seem anyone is interested...It's a 2batter 1pitcher keeper probably moving to 2/2 after this year. So I thought 21st rd for Ryu would be a great future keeper at his cost in draft pick.

Who do you like at 4? Guessing Trout/Cabrera will be off the board then how preranks have 3-6 are McCutchen,Goldschmidt,CarGonzalez, Chris Davis. Braun/Cano not included who were the 3/4 last year as I recall.

• 3 weeks later...

Coming back to my fantasy keeper thoughts.

I know I'm keeping Puig. Yelich, I'm feeling down on. I have Billy Hamilton or Matt Adams that seem to be higher ADP at the moment over Yelich. It's H2H category with OB/SLG on top of the normal 5 cats. The thought is that Hamilton would win me SBs alone every week. I can then put a focus on guys with HR potential and OB skills. Your Votto/Fielder/Butler/Choo types. We have 2 Util to place over a DH spot only so I can fit all three 1b. I'm picking 9th so then 16th. I think I have a good chance to get Fielder and Votto at 9/16. I'd probably reach on Choo but Choo adds SBs with Puig on top of Hamilton so I don't feel I'm relying strictly on Hamilton for SBs. I'm thinking by getting those 4 Votto,Fielder,Choo, and Butler. I'd have a very strong OB win chance on my team regardless of the remaining Avg/OB struggling guys I'd have like Puig/Hamilton. I'd probably mix in Runs guys with HR bats the rest of the way. But really if I landed those 4 Fielder@9 Votto@16 Choo@40 Butler@88 I would put just about the remainder of my focus on Pitchers.

Think that would be a great strategy? Oh even better, I could throw Beltre @9 for 3b? The only problem is if I get to 16 and Encarnacion,Fielder, and Votto are gone I'm left hanging with my OB strategy at 1b.

Who do you like more Encarnacion,Fielder, or Beltre?

Draft was last night with my #4 pick I got:

Catcher: Sleeper? Mike Zunino 22nd rd

1b: Goldschmidt 1st rd

2b: Brian Dozier 21st rd.

SS: Ian Desmond 3rd rd

3b: David Wright 2nd rd.

OF: Starling Marte 6th rd

OF: Wil Myers 7th rd.

OF: Will Venable 13th rd.

OF: Austin Jackson 16th rd.

Util: Brandon Belt 17th rd.

SPs: Fernandez(4), Grienke(5), Fister(8), Cole(9), Ryu(10), Wacha(11), Walker(18), Cueto(19), Peralta(20)

RPs: Reed(12), Soriano(14), Rodney(15)

It's a H2H 13 cat league. Avg, OB, Slg, HR, R, RBI, SB.....QS, W, Whip, Save, ERA, Ks

I'm fairly okay with them all. Obviously Dozier/Zunino could be poor but I looked at what I can pick up if needed being plenty available...once I figure out what stat I could improve on. Didn't like having to choose to Wright at 21/2nd rd but it was filled with 2b/1b and Desmond as my next in line rankings....I feel like 2b has improved depth-wise guys like Dozier/Rendon/Gyorko I didn't want a premium 2b in Pedroia/Kipnis/Kinsler for a 2nd rd pick. I wanted Wainwright at 3rd rd but he was chosen just before and I reluctantly took Desmond(my plan originally was to reach on Bogaerts and have flexibility at SS/3b with him but Wright/Desmond closed that off)

Then it came to pitching, pitching, pitching(I wasn't selecting a C early) and the OFs I stared at kept being nabbed ahead of my picks. Either way I have a lot of promising young OFs which I think is better than older grisled vets because typically they will steal more bases in their young age.

I think my pitching will be damn near elite overall with it's depth. Cueto/Peralta/Walker as late rd selections? All three or any of the 3 could be a #2 pitcher as the season progresses...Or at least solid #3 depth pitchers. I think I got very secure closers on mostly winning teams. Rodney pitching in Seattle/AL west I think is a very safe closer to not have blow up your stats.

Overall looking at the stats from last season and adding up the projections for my team this year I seem to have a team filled with 2nd-4th in almost all the counting categories. I think I did well in my draft aside from not really nabbing a multipositional player stud type in case of injury(Prado/Zobrist/Craig/Carpenter)

Belt though is another 17th rd pick? Pick I love to put in my Util and have as backup to Goldschmidt. He's going about 150 adp to espn and I got him at 196...he's a nice player going the right way in his career. I feel like the 68/17/75 projections for him are low....and if he steps up and goes 85/24/88 I got a top 10 rd player 7 rounds under value.

Anyone care to chime in? Saturday is my Keeper League draft I kept Puig,Miller, Hamilton at 17,18,19th rd cost in picks. Same 13 cats 12 team league H2H setup. I'll post my team after the draft from that league.

If it is a straight up points league, you have to go in this order imo:

1. Goldschmidt

2. Kershaw

3. McCutchen

Other considerations are Cano, and CarGo, but there are risks with both of them. To be honest, Goldschmidt worries me a little bit as well. Was last year a fluke? Pretty tough to waste that high of a pick in fantasy baseball. You know what you are going to get with McCutchen, and Kershaw is a can't miss since you will be drafting the best pitcher, bar none.

I don't think you can go wrong with Cutch, Kershaw, or Braun at 3. I'm not buying the Goldie hype either. There are a lot of options at 1B. Votto fell to the middle of the second in my keeper league.
"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

SITUATION: I had Jurickson Profar as my starting 2B until he hurt his shoulder. Omar Infante was to be the backup and he is now my starter. I want to have a backup 2B on the roster. My last two bench spots are currently Rickie Weeks and Javier Baez (Cubs prospect) who may get called up next week, he may not be called up until August or he may not be called up period. Scooter Gennett is on waivers.

QUESTION: Of Weeks, Scooter and Baez, which two do you pick to fill out the last two spots of your fantasy bench?

Can I go with none of the above? What FA 2B are available? Why do you want to carry an extra 2B?

Baez is a nice stash. I'm not a big fan of wasting roster spots for at least 2 months though.

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

Bonifacio could have some nice value and plays multiple positions. Schoop could stick at 2B the entire season if he hits. I think I'd take either of them over Weeks/Scooter.

Need some SS advice. I'm currently rolling with Jonathan Villar, but his BA and hitting at the bottom of the Astros lineup leaves a lot to be desired. I like the 40+ SB potential and the little bit of pop he provides, but I'm wondering if there might be a better option. Here's what is available via FA.

Jimmy Rollins

Erick Aybar

Jeter

Dee Gordon

Alcides Escobar

Chris Owings

Thoughts?

Need some SS advice. I'm currently rolling with Jonathan Villar, but his BA and hitting at the bottom of the Astros lineup leaves a lot to be desired. I like the 40+ SB potential and the little bit of pop he provides, but I'm wondering if there might be a better option. Here's what is available via FA.

Jimmy Rollins

Erick Aybar

Jeter

Dee Gordon

Alcides Escobar

Chris Owings

Thoughts?

My rank in order of those guys would be(by potential)

Owings, Aybar, Gordon, Escobar, Rollins, Jeter.

Aybar is the safest pick as he will play the most. Owings has to deal with getting Gregarious playing time.

2B Available: Schoop, Flaherty, Bonifacio, Beckham, Sogard, Barney

My bench currently has a need for middle IF and the only SS available are:Owings, Tejada and Hechevarria. Rather have the potential of Baez than any of those scrubs.

Is Dozier gone?

Owings is a potential gem in the rough.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a problem.

I have Lance Lynn and Shelby Miller on a fantasy team. I hate starting pitchers against the Brewers, but in this case, it might actually be smart to bench them both because the Brewers are hot, not because of the mixed feelings I have against starting pitchers against my favorite team...

I have a problem.

I have Lance Lynn and Shelby Miller on a fantasy team. I hate starting pitchers against the Brewers, but in this case, it might actually be smart to bench them both because the Brewers are hot, not because of the mixed feelings I have against starting pitchers against my favorite team...

Definitely sit Miller as he has been declining since August of last year. I would also look into trading him if someone is willing to take him on. Miller may even get demoted to AAA at some point or may go into the bullpen if he continues to struggle.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/shelby-miller-looks-broken/

• 1 month later...

Would you trade Rafael Soriano for Bryce Harper? I have two closers (Soriano and Perkins) and have Braun, Michael Brantley, Adam Jones in my OF and have 2 UTIL spots being used by a combo of Ben Revere, Domonic Brown and Leonys Martin. Harper is out for another month.

I think I should do it immediately but just seeing what you guys think and how you value saves.

Archived