Brewer Fanatic

Dustin Ackley

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Some people have bandied about trading a pitcher (Thornburg or Estrada) for the Mariner's extra guys (Ackley, Franklin, Smoak).

It should be noted that Hisashi Iwakuma (who was 3rd in the AL Cy Young voting last year) is going to miss up to a couple of months with an injured finger. It could make Seattle more likely to make a deal for a pitcher.

Also, Taijuan Walker reportedly has a sore shoulder. They say it's no big deal, but they may be a little concerned about things.

I'm not advocating trading Thornburg or Estrada - just saying the opportunity may be ideal.

I keep reading posts stating move ARam to 1b. play this guy at 3b. When has it ever been stated that playing ARam at 1b is an option?

Dustin Ackley doesn't excite me one bit. Franklin/Miller are Seattle's SS/2b moving forward. They should feel lucky to have a backup in case of injury for Cano or whoever starts at SS. Think about it for a moment how good Franklin/Miller could be.... If you are proposing a trade to acquire them it would have to improve Seattle a bunch in a weak area, and they would have to want that player. How does trading Davis/Thornburg for Franklin help Milwaukee? It quite frankly ruins this entire season imo unless by some Spring Training miracle, Segura or ARam get injured for the entire season. The OF options aren't great after Davis, we would need an OF to replace him.

I keep reading posts stating move ARam to 1b. play this guy at 3b. When has it ever been stated that playing ARam at 1b is an option?

Dustin Ackley doesn't excite me one bit. Franklin/Miller are Seattle's SS/2b moving forward. They should feel lucky to have a backup in case of injury for Cano or whoever starts at SS. Think about it for a moment how good Franklin/Miller could be.... If you are proposing a trade to acquire them it would have to improve Seattle a bunch in a weak area, and they would have to want that player. How does trading Davis/Thornburg for Franklin help Milwaukee? It quite frankly ruins this entire season imo unless by some Spring Training miracle, Segura or ARam get injured for the entire season. The OF options aren't great after Davis, we would need an OF to replace him.

Playing Ramirez at 1B is just an idea and a pretty solid one if they can get a young, talented 3B somehow. Kind of like how moving Braun to RF was just an idea. It was discussed and came to fruition because it made sense for the current roster.

Seattle also has Bloomquist as a utility, so Franklin or Miller likely won't be in the majors to start the season. Davis would be improving a weak area for them (OF, right hand hitting). Also, adding Thornburg or ideally one of Jungmann, Helweg, or Burgos gives the M's back of the rotation depth sitting in AAA. It strengthens their team with young talent at a time when they look to be trying to make a run.

And I wouldn't discount Gindl's performance to end last year. His stats were quite good in a sample size just a bit smaller than Davis. It boils down to it being much easier to fill a corner OF hole than it is to fill 3B long term. It's definitely an out-of-the box move, but it's one that is fairly lateral this year and very beneficial in the long term (if you believe Franklin can be an above average 3B).

Archived