Brewer Fanatic

2014 Bullpen arms (next step for DM)

What are the bullpen arms available in FA? I do believe this is the final step for DM this off-season heading into ST.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

What kind of roster room do we have for additional bullpen arms? Off the top of my head BP guys: Gorzellany, Smith, Henderson, Figaro, Thornburg, Kintzler, Blazek, Wooten, Hand. That's 9 and what of Hellweg/Nelson? Who else am I forgetting? That's 9 with 5 SPs so 14 leaves 11 position players for 25man somebody I named would have to be left out no? 8 Everyday Starters with Backup C, Utily IF, OF would be 11 there has to be more bench bats than that so less RPs.

Before hearing the news today of Gorzelanny still not throwing, I wondered if we could trade from a position of "strength" (guess I should say duplicates more than strengths). Between Smith, Wang, Gorzelanny and even Duke on a minor league contract, it seems we should have enough "lefty in the bullpen" material.

Don't know what we could expect back for Gorzellany, but would save a couple million on his contract if we could fine someone to take him.

Still haven't signed that veteran RP with closing experience that DM said he wanted. I still think that move will be made to fill the 7th inning role. Henderson is closer, Kintzler setup, Gorz and Smith as lefties, Thornburg long man, and that leaves the Badenhop type role from last year. I think Wooten wins that job. Leaves a bullpen of Henderson, Kintzler, vet RP, Wooten, Gorz, Smith, Thornburg. I think guys to watch for are K-Rod, Gregg, Marmol, Francisco, and a few others.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Still haven't signed that veteran RP with closing experience that DM said he wanted. I still think that move will be made to fill the 7th inning role. Henderson is closer, Kintzler setup, Gorz and Smith as lefties, Thornburg long man, and that leaves the Badenhop type role from last year. I think Wooten wins that job. Leaves a bullpen of Henderson, Kintzler, vet RP, Wooten, Gorz, Smith, Thornburg. I think guys to watch for are K-Rod, Gregg, Marmol, Francisco, and a few others.

Thank you. Yes I know the Brewers will add a bullpen arm with closer material, because he said he would. I just didn't know who was available.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

I think they'll look from within now. The signing of Garza allows them to use Thornburg in a key relief role. While I don't think they've given up on him starting, he can contribute now in the pen and I think they feel he's got the stuff to do just that. Duke is insurance if Gorzelanny isn't ready to start the season. I'm certainly no big fan of Duke, but that was based on him as a failed starter. Burgos is another guy who's strong winter ball season has him in the bullpen mix.

It's still possible they'll bring back K-Rod or some other guy if the price is right, but it's not as pressing now.

Locks;

Henderson

Kintzler

Thornburg

Smith

Other Big League invites:

Blazek

Burgos

De La Torre

Duke

Fiers

Figaro

Goforth

Gorzo

Hall

Hand

Hellweg

Molleken (?)

Nelson

Olmsted

Pena

Shackelford

Wang

Wooten

Now however in that last group gets the last spots will be inexperienced but there is also a lot of good raw stuff there. Goforth and Shackleford probably won't make it initially but those guys are very intriguing bullpen guys. Gorzo probably makes it if he is healthy. My best guess is that Blazek and Figaro have a head up for the last couple spots. Wang is the Rule 5 so he would have to make the 25 or released.

I think the fact that Mark A discussed Wang when talking about our pitching depth yesterday means the Brewers are really serious in stashing him in the pen the whole year

I mean, it makes sense, theres no reason to waste time snagging a guy from RK/A- ball unless you think he's got a legit chance to crack the team and contribute.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I'm in agreement with the OP. If the plan is to 'go for it' this season, I think the bullpen could hold this team back. If they're expecting Kintzler to replicate his numbers from last season, they're gonna be disappointed. He's due for regression, wouldn't even be surprising if his elbow is hanging on by a thread based off how much he was overused by our genius manager last season. Basically our bullpen is Henderson, and a bunch of 'just-guys'.

Well, I'm not convinced Henderson will have another strong season, given the short shelf-life of Brewers' closers. Or any closers for that matter. It if very diffiuclt to build a great bullpen with any level of certainty. So, you do it with quantity. They have enough arms now that they should be able to ctach lightning with a couple guys and have a solid enough bullpen.

If they do have a chance to make a run in August, you can always go out and get a bullpen arm without giving up much. Personally, I think they have way too many question marks to be considered "going for it" this year.

Don't overlook Burgos. He profiles a lot like Carlos Villanueva who has carved out a nice career as a guy who can handle a variety of bullpen roles and start if needed.

If he's not needed to start, I expect Thornburg to be getting work in high leverage situations out of the pen. He just might end up being a closer at some point.

Via Venezuelan journalist @RafaelTejera: Carlos Marmol says Red Sox, Brewers & Marlins after his services, and he's likely to remain in NL.

Damn, Marmol scares me...

He was good for the Dodgers late last season...

21.1 IP

14 H

19 BB

27 SO

2.53 ERA

Throughout his career he doesnt give up HRs but those walks scare me... Although the Ks are nice.

Via Venezuelan journalist @RafaelTejera: Carlos Marmol says Red Sox, Brewers & Marlins after his services, and he's likely to remain in NL.

Damn, Marmol scares me...

He was good for the Dodgers late last season...

21.1 IP

14 H

19 BB

27 SO

2.53 ERA

Throughout his career he doesnt give up HRs but those walks scare me... Although the Ks are nice.

Man I really do not want anything to do with Marmol. He has been pretty bad since 2011 and would much prefer we sign K-Rod. I'm sorry but a WHIP of 1.38, 1.54 & 1.6 as a RP is pretty unacceptable.

Marmols value is tied to his HR rate and last year was a BAD SIGN. I wouldn't want any part of him at Miller Park. Way too much stress on a fanbase that has had to deal with Turnbow, Hoffman, Axford and others melting down. Just say no Doug! JUST SAY NO!!
@WiscoSportsNut

I'm no fan of Marmol. I thought Melvin waited too long for a much needed lefty reliever last year and he ended up settling for the erratic Mike Gonzalez so he could save a few bucks. Gonzalez was awful (1.66 WHIP) and cost them a number of games Marmol can't be trusted holding leads either.

Melvin can undo some of the positives this offseason by making a move for a guy like Marmol. I'd rather they use Thornburg late than recycle a retread.

Archived