Brewer Fanatic

Brewers On Deck 2014 roundup (Highlight: Matt Lepay to fill in on FSWI for BA)

Invader3K

While we're on the subject, where is BA?

As for Lepay, I like him. I think he has to transition to the sport but he certainly is learning quickly. I think he is infinitely more enjoyable than Joe Block was when he first started.

On a side note, I still miss Corey Provus. Block has improved to the point of passable but I wonder if Provus would be interested in coming back on a full time basis once Uecker retires, as he seems to split a lot of the time with Dan Gladden when I listen to the Twins.

I agree WTP...Block is better, but we've had far better guys in that chair over the years including Corey. I'd try for an upgrade if they could.

I wonder if opinions of Lepay depend on if you're a Badgers fan or not. I fully admit my Lepay bias with my Rose (Bowl) colored glasses. I love the guy. I'd be interested in the opinions of the non-Badgers fans out there what they think of Matt. Does the Marquette crowd have the opposite view of Matt since he is a Badger guy? Just curious.

To me, baseball announcing is easy if all you're judging it on is how they sound on big plays, exciting plays, etc.

But that's not how I judge them. I have to listen to them the whole game and they better be able to keep my attention for most of the game--the uneventful parts of baseball. That's what makes Vin Scully great; he tells stories and anecdotes to keep the listeners attention. Very little dead air unless it is necessary.

I'm a Badger fan and I like Lepay as a football and basketball guy. I just haven't been impressed like some others here have been. I do think that some of that is the "Rose (Bowl) colored glasses" as someone said--because he's so good at Badger hoops and Badger football, he is, thus, good at baseball.

He reminds me A LOT of the Pirates TV crew. They are boring as heck. But when there is an exciting play or something, they suddenly come alive and are fun to listen to. When the monotony of baseball returns, they go back to their boring voices.

To each his own, though. Everybody has different tastes and that is okay in my book. He may improve.

I do not condone saying that we should let BA go since we could have Lepay, though. Yes, I realize that nobody is saying that.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

as a non resident, I agree with Pitch league---i don't know who lepay is---and i was really sad that Anderson was gone over the weekend. It reminded me a lot of the Braves broadcasts, where there is nothing at all going on, and then someone mumbles "grounder to segura, 1 out."

I know it will get better, but without some kind of background, it was a pretty weak start.

Ueck almost never mentions the game and I don't even notice...that's what makes a great announcer...hehe

I'm wearing the Rose Bowl-colored glasses as well. I'd like to see him incorporate some of those catchphrases into his call (the "Book it" expression he gives a 3-pointer would make a succinct HR tagline....if he felt more confident in tracking fly balls to the outfield to premeditate), but I think he needs to develop a comfort level with calling baseball - and calling the game for TV instead of radio.

I think Lepay's been solid, but not amazing (I think he'll ultimately grown into the job really well & be stellar). I actually think we have one of the best pbp guys in the business in BA. And I think this season, and the addition of Lepay for so many games, means the writing's on the wall regarding BA. I'm kind of expecting that this season or next will be his last with the Brewers. I realize there are plenty here who won't, but I'll miss him once he moves on.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I thought I remember reading a while back that Anderson's contract with the Brewers/FSN is through 2015 but I could be completely wrong about that.

I concur, though, that he is among the best TV guys in the business. And not just baseball.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I have enjoyed Lepay's call so far. I'm in the minority, but I'm not a fan of him doing football. I don't care for the over-enthusiasm. I was afraid he would be too over the top for the baseball but he has been solid.

In full disclosure I like my announcers vanilla. Do no harm is all I ask. I know the game very well so I don't need to be fed like a baby and the game itself is interesting enough for me to not need the play by play guy to be saying dumb catch phrases to keep my interest.

Archived