Brewer Fanatic

Brewers On Deck 2014 roundup (Highlight: Matt Lepay to fill in on FSWI for BA)

Invader3K

Let's use this thread for news and other tidbits from today's On Deck fan event. People who are attending can post their experiences, etc.

In somewhat major breaking news, Brian Anderson just announced that Badgers announcer Matt Lepay will be his fill-in when BA is doing games for TBS.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

So, is Craig Coshun no longer on the broadcast?

I've been watching the brewers.com live feed of parts of the On Deck programming. At one point Craig Coshun was described as part of the radio and TV crew. That makes me wonder if he might take some radio-team trips that Uecker does not. This is nothing but my own personal speculation. I'd expect Coshun to remain part of Brewers Live, in any case.

Having Lepay on the broadcast team is so great - enough to make me more likely to watch FSWI road telecasts. Imagine what he might do for a home run call. :)

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

LePay is great news....Anderson is going to be gone alot methinks...his national role is only going to expand

Also, can I just say how much I love Mark A? It would have been easy to go into a financial shell after the attendance has dropped but he has allowed us to be aggressive.

LePay is great news....Anderson is going to be gone alot methinks...his national role is only going to expand

I think the writing's on the wall with BA. I have no idea what his contract is like, but I have to guess he has more than enough national exposure at this point to be a candidate for major jobs. It's hard for me to believe LePay would be getting involved only to cover a handful of games. Maybe he's next in line for the job.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'm excited about Lepay. I was getting worried that Coshun was in line to take BA's job when he inevitably moves on. Lepay should be a big upgrade over Coshun. Coshun is good in his pre and post game role, but he just isn't a good fit in play-by-play. I'm excited to listen to Lepay.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

One of the articles indicated that Craig would be sticking to his regular host job rather than having to fill in frequently on play by play.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

It will be interesting to see how Lepay translates to baseball. He's very good at football/basketball, but there is a lot more 'downtime' in baseball.

That downtime is when Rock gets to repeat the same 6 or 7 things he says all season about hitters

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

• 2 months later...

Not sure if there is a more recent thread on Matt Lepay, but I thought he was terrific this weekend. He was enthusiastic and knowledgeable. Also seemed to have a good rapport with Rock. I'm a big BA fan, but Matt is one heckuva sub. Way better than Coshun...he's far better suited for the anchor chair on Brewers Live than the PBP booth.

Well done Matt!!!

Couldn't agree more. I've been listening to Lepay and Lucas do football and basketball for years. The seamless transition from one sport to the next makes him special in my eyes. I keep expecting him to say, if someone goes first to third on a hit, "He's to the 30, to the 40, Braun to midfield, the 40, the 30. Braun finally taken down at the 25. First Down Brewers!"

I'll disagree. I found him boring. I didn't pick up on he and Rock feeding off each other well. It seemed forced and semi-uncomfortable.

That said, they got a bit better as the weekend went along. But other than his big calls on Braun's HR and Davis' blast, I wasn't impressed with his baseball announcing skills.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I'll disagree. I found him boring. I didn't pick up on he and Rock feeding off each other well. It seemed forced and semi-uncomfortable.

That said, they got a bit better as the weekend went along. But other than his big calls on Braun's HR and Davis' blast, I wasn't impressed with his baseball announcing skills.

Give him a chance? He is only 30ish innings in... let him take his coat off and get comfortable.

I agree that they don't seem to be feeding off each other, but that just takes time. I think he's made a fine transition to baseball. Lepay seems better than BA's first few games. I think he may be another good one. I wish the Brewers were as good at finding HS pitchers as they are finding play by play men.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Archived