Brewer Fanatic

Happy birthday Mr. Bob Uecker [Latest: Will not go on some 2014 road trips.]

Invader3K

Here's hoping Bob can continue on for a least a few more years. We've heard his stories so many times that most of us can tell them ourselves. Yet I can't wait to hear again about his days in the heat at Waycross, Ga with his fellow Brave farmhands back in the 50's. It's not officially spring training until I hear that. We get all caught up in what's going on with this team that sometimes we forget the real connection Ueck and his fans, particularly those in their advanced years have. Happy birthday!

I believe that this will be the 44th consecutive season that Ueck has been broadcasted for the Brewers. I would have to think that'd put him right at the top. The only person that I could think with a longer tenure was Vin Scully. Ueck basically is the Brewers to me.

Apparently the listed birth date was wrong and Bob is 80.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/242753521.html

It also says he will be cutting down his work load by skipping some road games. I suppose it had to happen sometime, but games are just better with Bob behind the mike. I hope the sub they find is good, lively and entertaining (what is Sheets up to these days?)

The amazing part of the story is that his official year of birth has been wrong all these years. Apparently this must have been a more common practice back then. We know that players from Latin countries have fudged on ages. Uecker was already 21 when he first signed professionally. Back then especially players routinely were given up on at 22 and 23 so being a year younger, had it's advantages. I had always wondered about Uecker talking about his amateur baseball in the area and the fact that he also played fast pitch softball. Knowing he had another year to have done that makes more sense. A few years ago, I had read that Billy Bruton might have been as many as 5 years older than his official listed age. One wonders how many other guys got away with it.

STINKS!

Man...do we need to start worrying about a replacement for the road for Bob? The Dodgers have been doing it with Vin Scully for a few years now where he doesn't travel much west of Colorado. They have a very good team of Charley Steiner and Rick Monday though. I like Joe Block as a guy but would really not enjoy him as the full time announcer.

I wish we could have Cory Provus back. :(

He's 80? That sucks. It means he will only be an announcer for another 20 years or so.

Haven't you seen Futurama? They'll put Uke's head in a jar and he'll keep calling games for another 1000 years.

http://static4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111005043526/en.futurama/images/8/81/BobUeckerHead.png

LEPAY!!!!

I like Block too, but I agree, he needs someone else in there with him. Man, no matter who it is, they won't be as good as Bob. At least not for 20 years or so.

I do wonder if Lepay's stint on FSWI might be a sort of a (hopefully VERY premature) audition for something Brewers Radio related in the future.

He's got the voice for it and sure seems to me like Mr. Wisconsin. It's the Mr. Baseball part that will be impossible to replicate...

I hear a lot of people talking about Lepay and he would be a good choice but has he ever done baseball before? I just don't know if he would be a good radio baseball guy. I guess I have been listening to Uecker all of these years and the stories he has told between pitches.

Matt hasn't done baseball before (apart from his audition for the Brewers gig), but this story suggests it was his first broadcasting dream: madison.com link

I'm pretty excited about having Lepay on any type of Brewers call. I've long been a fan of his UW work. He can't replicate the stories Ueck is known for, because no one can.

If this were a prelude to a more regular Brewers gig, I'm not sure how well that would mix with his UW commitments. Football and baseball overlap between August and September (October in better years), and in a good hoops year would also overlap in spring training and maybe early April. I wouldn't want a backup voice calling what might be the most important games of the season.

If he remains in a backup role, and it means less Craig Coshun or Davey Nelson, no offense, guys, but DO IT.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

• 2 weeks later...
happy birthday Ueck! i became a Brewers fan because of him. usually the Brewers were losing badly, and he'd only half-heartedly call the games because it didn't matter at that point, and he'd start telling a story. in a way, Uecker was at his best when the Brewers were at their worst. if anybody has kept baseball alive in Milwaukee it hasn't been as much Bud Selig or Mark Attanasio, but Bob Uecker.

• 1 month later...

Archived