Brewer Fanatic

Random MLB News & Discussion 2014

I haven't seen what Machado did but I'm willing to bet it was intentional. He was being a big cry baby the other night when he thought Josh Donaldson tagged him too hard. Slammed his helmet down, started yelling the whole nine yards.

Edit: Just saw his bat throw to 3rd base that was intended for Abad. Ridiculous, he should be suspended at least 5 games.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The way he stared down the pitcher right before the bat "slip", there's no way I buy that being a coincidence. He's looked quite ridiculous this weekend.

I love the umpire and Donaldson in this gif from Friday night's fit:

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--5XZO5Rs2--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/ausmbf5mpofhsvhrtsuf.gif

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Um....wow. I'd be surprised if the suspension is anything less than 5 games.

That Abad got thrown out of the game is a joke. Throwing him out after he throws at him twice? Fine. Throwing him out after a pitch in the strike zone? What the heck?

Even though he's been raking all season in the minors, with Taillon down for TJ, and now Cole out with a shoulder issue, I don't see the Pirates making any kind of serious move. It was different coming into the season when it looked like they would be able to add Taillon and Polanco around this time and make a nice a push.

Polanco might start slow and Marte has been brutal over the last week, but long-term the Pirates have far and away the most athletic OF in the division. I'm not saying they'll be the most productive OF, but those are some damn fine athletes in that OF.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Even though he's been raking all season in the minors, with Taillon down for TJ, and now Cole out with a shoulder issue, I don't see the Pirates making any kind of serious move. It was different coming into the season when it looked like they would be able to add Taillon and Polanco around this time and make a nice a push.

Polanco might start slow and Marte has been brutal over the last week, but long-term the Pirates have far and away the most athletic OF in the division. I'm not saying they'll be the most productive OF, but those are some damn fine athletes in that OF.

they have 3 CFs playing every day, they have hands down the best defensive OF in the league with Polanco out there.

Polanco being called up is like the second coming of christ-lemente to this city. but there is still outrage they waited this long just to "avoid" super2, especially since they're just 3 under .500 right now.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I won't be surprised if the Pirates remain in wild-card contention; the third/fourth best records in the NL right now belong to Washington (33-29) and Atlanta (33-29), and basically a glob of about seven teams within a few games.

It seems like the Rockies have really fallen off a cliff and now Cuddyer is hurt. Tulo, Blackmon, and Morneau have all fallen off substantially since their hot starts. They are 1-9 in their last 10. I guess that crazy good start offensively was really too good to be true and the pitching has not been able to pick up the slack

Interesting stat:

Oakland is 1st in runs scored, 1st in OBP, but 18th in BA.

They have a +125 run differential. Not too shabby.

They are the anti Brewers. 10th in BA, 21st in OBP and 10th in Runs Scored.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

The new MLB Gameday is terrible.

I constantly go back to the classic gameday. The new gameday is a pile of crap and I've never used it. The classic gameday was perfect. Easy to navigate, box score access, highlights. The new one tries way too hard to be innovative and it's just an epic fail all around.

Former Cy Young winner Bob Welch found dead at age 57. He won 27 games back in 1989.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb/news/20140610/oakland-athletics-bob-welch-dies.ap/

I had missed this the other day. A shame. He was one of the dominant pitchers of the late '80s when I was first getting into baseball. Didn't realize he was the last MLB pitcher to win at least 25 games either.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Former Cy Young winner Bob Welch found dead at age 57. He won 27 games back in 1989.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb/news/20140610/oakland-athletics-bob-welch-dies.ap/

It was 1990.

27-6 2.95 ERA 127/77 K/BB 238 IP for a 3.0 WAR season. Of course in 1990 27 wins would have gotten you the CY, but Clemens put up 10.0 WAR posting a 21-6 1.93 ERA 209/54 K/BB 228 IP.

Most recent pitcher to win at least X games in a season:

32 Pete Alexander 1916

31 Denny McLain 1968

30 Denny McLain 1968

29 Denny McLain 1968

28 Denny McLain 1968

27 Bob Welch 1990

26 Bob Welch 1990

25 Bob Welch 1990

24 Justin Verlander 2011

Archived