Brewer Fanatic

Random MLB News & Discussion 2014

If I understand how those policies work correctly they are for when a player suffers a career ending injury. I do not believe they cover portions of the contract that are lost to injury even if the injury is long term.

They're also really expensive to take out. It's not like paying for your car insurance.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Verified Member
If I understand how those policies work correctly they are for when a player suffers a career ending injury. I do not believe they cover portions of the contract that are lost to injury even if the injury is long term.

They're also really expensive to take out. It's not like paying for your car insurance.

Yeah, it's a substantial percentage of the contract, so we could be talking millions per season. I don't know if it's outdated, but I remember an article from years ago discussing this. Some teams as a policy just never insure players (I think the Mariners were one), some insure all players, some have a mix.

I was more referring to the fact that Fielder is making $25M for the next half-decade, was horrible this season, and is now coming off from some kind of weird surgery that has to do with his nerves and persistent weakness in his arms. Not a great position to be in for Texas. Would have been devastating for Milwaukee.

This was written on the white board of the A's clubhouse:

Slow torture vs. Instant kill

Slow torture is a team approach.

Instant kill is an individual approach.

Home runs end rallies, not start them.

Keep pitchers in the stretch and trust your teammates.

Pass the torch if necessary….

http://i.imgur.com/uyqfpYL.gif

It is actually pretty incredible that Ned even has a job anymore. This was supposed to be the prime years of the Royals franchise considering how strong their farm system was 3-4 years ago. That team and its prospects have been an undeniable failure and part of the reason you don't want to pin all your hopes on the farm system saving you (I am looking at you Cubs).

As much as their is some distaste for Ned, isn't this more on the GM than anything? Obviously he felt that his farm system was better than it is and he did not take the proper moves via trades, free agency to bolster the roster. I mean look at the Smith for Aoki trade. Completely ridiculous that he traded that left handed arm away for an aging, average to maybe slightly above average player.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

There's a rather lengthy and funny article on ESPN about the 'Unwritten Rules of Baseball'.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10964445/mlb-baseball-confusing-contradictory-unwritten-rules

I skimmed the article when you originally posted this, but then I finally got back to reading the whole thing. Not sure where they got their facts considering that they said that Synder got 3 games and Maldi got 8 games for the scuffle in Pitt.

Is Manny Machado the most hated man in baseball? What's not being talked about enough is how Machado hit the A's catcher twice on follow throughs and never apologized. Then was seen smiling as the other catcher was getting into the game, although we don't know just exactly if he was smiling about knocking the A's catcher out of the game. Dude just seems like a total baby.

Verified Member
Is Manny Machado the most hated man in baseball? What's not being talked about enough is how Machado hit the A's catcher twice on follow throughs and never apologized. Then was seen smiling as the other catcher was getting into the game, although we don't know just exactly if he was smiling about knocking the A's catcher out of the game. Dude just seems like a total baby.

The couple times I saw the replay it actually didn't look that intentional to me. If you want to hit the pitcher it's not hard to throw the bat straight. I can fully buy that he was swinging hard, saw the ball coming/got hit mid swing or whatever and lost control of the bat.

Archived