Brewer Fanatic

Random MLB News & Discussion 2014

Verified Member

Apparently the Relief Man of the Year award is being re-named in honor of Mariano Rivera and Trevor Hoffman. Will they change the name of the MVP award and add a new name to the Cy Young award for one of the Leagues?

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/mlb-names-league-awards-for-relief-pitchers-after-mariano-rivera-trevor-hoffman?ymd=20140409&content_id=71466376&vkey=news_mlb

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Mo Award

The Hells Bells Trophy

I like those.

Calling it the Mariano Rivera Award or the Trevor Hoffman Award is not as cool.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I was bored so I thought I would look at how some of the guys we traded are doing in the majors.

Former top Brewer farmhands Alcides Escobar and Brett Lawrie are following up poor 2013 campaigns with really slow starts. Escobar has an OPS of .436 and Lawrie is at .383. Obviously the season is young but after their down years last year it is a troubling trend. Lorenzo Cain is also starting a little slowly at the plate. Former top pitcher Jake Odorizzi had a very nice first start and got rocked in his second. Jeremy Jeffress was just designated for assignment.

It seemed like we crippled our farm system in those trades but maybe our system was even worse that we thought. Right now Brantley might be the best guy we traded. You can argue we couldnt have gotten more or at least younger more controllable pitching but I am really surprised how poorly Lawrie and others are doing in the big leagues

As much as I razz our coaching staff, I will say that they have turned some relative non-prospects into everyday players (Lucroy) and potential everyday players (Davis and Gennett). Lawrie, Escobar, Brantley, Cain...none of them, save Brantley, have turned into the player their prospect status said they could be. In fact if I were to have a choice of the 7 players mentioned, in order, I would take:

1. Lucroy

2. Lawrie (only because of position)

3. Brantley

4. Davis

5. Cain

6/7. Gennett/Escobar

Given that none of the current Brewers were mega hyped prospects, I have to say our coaching staff has done well to develop their talent.

As much as I razz our coaching staff, I will say that they have turned some relative non-prospects into everyday players (Lucroy) and potential everyday players (Davis and Gennett). Lawrie, Escobar, Brantley, Cain...none of them, save Brantley, have turned into the player their prospect status said they could be. In fact if I were to have a choice of the 7 players mentioned, in order, I would take:

1. Lucroy

3. Brantley

4. Davis

5. Cain

6/7. Gennett/Escobar

Given that none of the current Brewers were mega hyped prospects, I have to say our coaching staff has done well to develop their talent.

I agree. I wouldnt have Lawrie rated that high just because his debut seems like a fluke. He was a guy whose OPS was much closer to .800 in the minors and now has been closer to .700 in the majors minus that one year. Heck Scooter's first year in the majors was better than Lawrie's last two full seasons. Right now their results look very similar even though they are very different players. Lawrie has all those tools and Scooter seems like a guy who gets the most out of what he has.

1. Lucroy

3. Brantley

4. Davis

5. Cain

6/7. Gennett/Escobar

Lucroy was a pretty good hitter in the minors especially for a catcher. His only problem was he was behind Salome who had a higher ceiling.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Video delivers. Just watch.

Outstanding. I work in a predominantly male work center - come to think of it, there are only five females out of 500 - and the jokes we play on the, uh, less aware individuals are pretty funny. This just gave me an idea of what to do for a new guy we have coming in in a few weeks.

So I've got the Rays/Reds on before the Brewer game starts. Two things to mention - both happened in the bottom of the 2nd. One: Thom Brennaman says "No one, and I mean NO ONE, is pitching like the Atlanta Braves (pause)... this side of the Milwaukee Brewers. Atlanta's team ERA is 2.(something) and Milwaukee's is 1.(something)." - I love when people say things like that, and then they have to add that there actually IS a team or person doing better. Oh well.

And two: the Reds beat the Pirates in "baserunning bloopers" by having two runners thrown out at home on the same play. Well done.

The San Diego Padres have signed power-hitting second baseman Jedd Gyorko to a six-year contract extension worth $35 million, a source told ESPN.com's Jayson Stark.

The deal includes a $13 million club option that could increase if it vests, the source told ESPN.

The Padres are expected to announce the deal later Monday, according to the source.

Gyorko's guaranteed $35 million deal is the third-largest for a player with only one year of service time, trailing only Atlanta's Andrelton Simmons (seven years, $58 million) and Milwaukee's Ryan Braun (eight years, $45 million).

Gyorko, 25, had a team-leading 23 home runs in 125 games last season, his first year in the majors.

He has gotten off to a slow start this season, batting just .163 with one homer in his first 12 games.

Seems like a lot if you ask me . 250 hitter and only a 300 on base %

BJ Upton is the worst player in the majors. He makes Rickie look like Rogers Hornsby by comparison. The Braves owe this guy over $50 million.... wow.

In the same offseason, Melvin robbed Boras getting Gomez for a three year extension at only 8 million per. Carlos is playing like a 20 plus million per guy and not looking as if it's just some small sample fluke given the year he had last offseason. It's amazing to think that Carlos Gomez could legitimately be one of the top 10-20 position players in all of baseball.

Dave Cameron's article on the new "clean transfer rule"

"This year, in an attempt to clarify the difference between a catch and a transfer on plays around the base base bag, MLB informed teams that a clean transfer from glove to hand was now going to be a required element in making a legal catch. No longer could a player argue that the ball was dropped on the exchange between glove and hand in order to retire the lead runner in a double play attempt. To be credited with the first out, the player has to move the ball from his glove to his hand without losing possession of the ball."

I was totally oblivious to this rule change until reading this article. It's shocking to me how easy it would be to exploit this new rule on the defensive side of things. I would love to see a team take advantage of this rule change and make a mockery it. It's a dumb rule and needs to be done away with ASAP.

"This year, in an attempt to clarify the difference between a catch and a transfer on plays around the base base bag, MLB informed teams that a clean transfer from glove to hand was now going to be a required element in making a legal catch. No longer could a player argue that the ball was dropped on the exchange between glove and hand in order to retire the lead runner in a double play attempt. To be credited with the first out, the player has to move the ball from his glove to his hand without losing possession of the ball."

I was totally oblivious to this rule change until reading this article. It's shocking to me how easy it would be to exploit this new rule on the defensive side of things. I would love to see a team take advantage of this rule change and make a mockery it. It's a dumb rule and needs to be done away with ASAP.

How can a defensive player take advantage of this rule?

The second half of the article explains it. With runners on 1st and 2nd, a player in the OF can catch the ball and wait for the runners to retreat to their bases then drop the ball from their glove to the ground, then pick it up and throw to the SS. It could result in a double play if they tag the guy who was on second and now needs to advance and then step on second base for the force out of the guy on 1st. Dave Cameron points out that the likely worst case scenario of trying it is you would still get atleast one out.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

The second half of the article explains it. With runners on 1st and 2nd, a player in the OF can catch the ball and wait for the runners to retreat to their bases then drop the ball from their glove to the ground, then pick it up and throw to the SS. It could result in a double play if they tag the guy who was on second and now needs to advance and then step on second base for the force out of the guy on 1st. Dave Cameron points out that the likely worst case scenario of trying it is you would still get atleast one out.

This play actually kind of happened the other night when I was watching the Angels game. A man was on second and there was a routine pop fly to Hamilton. Hamilton caught it and when he went to grab it out of his glove he dropped it. The guy on second ran towards third, and then he ran back towards second. After review they said it was no catch. I was stunned and amazed that they said it wasn't a catch. I too hope someone messes with that rule. A short fly ball into the outfield would seem like a perfect time to try it. If the runners are standing on the bag, they drop it and whip it into second, tag the guy and then step on the bag. There would be so much confusion it would be hilarious to see.

That's why the infield fly rule was created, to stop infielders from deliberately dropping balls, getting a double play and making a mockery of the game. They call the infield fly rule even when the ball is in the outfield and a defender is camped under the ball, though usually it's still an infielder. We've seen that call be controversial. Now there needs to be an outfield fly rule? I think the fly ball interpretation of this rule is nuts. I also don't like the ruling change on the transfer such as with a double play but that's not as nuts.

I don't like the rule change at all. I don't understand why they felt a need to change the rule. It really wasn't all the controversial and they arguably made the situation even worse. Probably 99% of the time umpires get the call right; its pretty obvious when you catch it and only fumble it around afterwards. I suppose it is a rule change to bring more offense into the game; since I imagine this is most often applied to double play balls.

The second half of the article explains it. With runners on 1st and 2nd, a player in the OF can catch the ball and wait for the runners to retreat to their bases....

The rule/article clearly states, "plays made around/near the bag".....the Outfielder example doesn't apply. Their requirements to making a catch are the same. If they bobble on transfer throwing it back to the infield, it's still an out.

Back to the stupid catch rule being changed...yes, it does include outfields as evidenced by this lunacy.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2029423-scott-millers-starting-nine-catch-this-if-you-can-indians-tigers-rays-rest?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=cnn-sports-bin&hpt=hp_bn15

Last week in Cleveland, the Indians' Elliot Johnson made a fine running catch in deep right field. He took three steps after the catch, bumped into the right field wall, turned to throw...and then dropped the ball.

Not only did umpires say "no catch," the replay guy back at Central Command, apparently watching Modern Family reruns instead of the game (hopefully, at least, the one where Haley gets tossed out of college for assaulting a police officer), sided with the men in blue.

Seattle left fielder Dustin Ackley twice thought he caught the ball for an out the other night against Oakland. No dice.

The second half of the article explains it. With runners on 1st and 2nd, a player in the OF can catch the ball and wait for the runners to retreat to their bases....

The rule/article clearly states, "plays made around/near the bag".....the Outfielder example doesn't apply. Their requirements to making a catch are the same. If they bobble on transfer throwing it back to the infield, it's still an out.

I think you stopped reading the article after the second paragraph. The article spans 20 paragraphs and 6 embedded video samples, and if you read/watch, it is pretty clear the rule is being applied to Outfielders transferring the ball. If you need further confirmation, the most recent Fangraphs podcast with Dave Cameron also goes into great detail about the negative impacts of the new interpretation on the OF catch rule and discusses that it is likely to be changed by next season, if not at the All-Star break this year.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Archived