Brewer Fanatic

Random MLB News & Discussion 2014

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Interesting look at how offense has declined.

In 2004, there were 37 players that hit 30 or more HR (including nine players hitting over 40 HR), and 36 players hit .300 or better.

In 2014, we have 10 guys with 30 HR (quite a few guys are have 25-27 HR, so a couple might reach 30), no one with 40 HR (Nelson Cruz has 39, so he's a good shot to get it), and 16 guys hitting .300 or better.

It's no surprise that O is down. Guys that were hitting FIFTY HRs 5 years back are now hitting 25-30 and are on and off the DL. A serious PED program did that. They got their millions and don't want to join Sosa, McGuire and Bonds in the public eye.

Without checking, I would guess that the present numbers correspond pretty close to the pre-Canseco '90s.

Interesting idea. Here's a 40 year span with every five years noted. Even five years ago (2009), the numbers were staggeringly high. We have gone back to the 70s/80s era hitting, although the 16 guys hitting .300 would be the lowest in the study.

1974:

4 players hit 30 or more HRs (no one hit over 40)

22 players hit .300 or better

1979:

11 players hit 30 or more HRs (3 with 40 or more)

29 players hit .300 or better

1984:

10 players hit 30 or more HRs (only 1 hit more than 40)

25 players hit .300 or better

1989:

9 players hit 30 or more HRs (only 1 hit more than 40)

18 player hit .300 or better

1994:

10 players hit 30 or more HRs (2 hit 40 or more)

47 players hit .300 or better

1999:

45 players hit 30 or more HRs (including 13 with 40 or more; two had 60 or more!)

55 guys hit .300 or better

2004:

33 players hit 30 or more HRs (9 with 40 or more)

36 players hit .300 or better

2009:

28 players hit 30 or more HR (5 with 40 or more)

42 players hit .300 or better

2014:

10 players have 30 or more HR (no one over 40, but one player will likely make it)

16 players are hitting .300 or better

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The lower offensive totals this year have as much to do with the lower/larger strike zone than anything.

http://sabr.org/sites/default/files/Roegele-Strike%20Zone%20During%20PITCHfx%20ERA-2014_THT_Annual.pdf

To put some context to that number, if we subtract this number of runs from the 2008 season total, the average number of runs per team per game drops from 4.65 to 4.50. In 2013 the average number of runs scored by a team in each game was 4.17. So you could say that one-third of the offensive decrease over the last five years has been due to the growing strike zone.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Very odd this year is the strong possibility of a freeway WS being played by the LA teams, the DC area teams with a very outside chance of Missouri. But I think the media will be disappointed: It will most likely be O's vs. Dodgers.

It's hard to dismiss the Nats and Angels, but that's how I see it. The Tigers? I just don't see it, ditto (my) Cards and your Brewers. Both teams have been too up and down this year. The Pirates are hot as hell, but can they continue this winning? It's a good time to get hot, to be sure.

If we're eliminated, it looks right now that they're the best team to represent the Central. But get past the Kershaw Dodgers and a resurgent Matt Kemp?

If the Brewers don't make the playoffs, there really isn't a team I'd be excited about seeing doing well. Maybe Baltimore.
I hadn't thought about it, but if an AL team is to win it all I'd vote for the O's as well. But I've never rooted for an AL team to win the World Series and I ain't starting now. The NL winning it is sort of a booby prize for me. ;)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

If the Brewers don't make the playoffs I'll root for any team other than the Cardinals. I just hate them. The Dodgers would be my next 'anyone but them' team. They just bug me for some reason.

I had a fondness for Oakland as a kid. That would be kind of fun to see them win again.

Not real sure why but I don't really like any of the NL teams, I should feel kind of sorry for the Pirates because of how bad they have been over the years but just don't. On the other side I kind of like all of the AL teams remaining. Probably rooting for the Royals and Orioles the most but wouldn't mind the A's, Tigers or Angels winning it all.

Not real sure why but I don't really like any of the NL teams, I should feel kind of sorry for the Pirates because of how bad they have been over the years but just don't. On the other side I kind of like all of the AL teams remaining. Probably rooting for the Royals and Orioles the most but wouldn't mind the A's, Tigers or Angels winning it all.

I was completely over the Pirates when their fans decided they single handedly beat Cueto by chanting at him during the game last year.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Spoiler alert! After sweeping the Braves, the Rangers just swept the A's. And in a related story, it was reported by MLB TV just now that Pujols and Trout will be benched tonight vs. Felix Hernandez and the Mariners.

This is preposterous by the Angels! The Mariners are right behind the A's for the last WC spot. Where's the integrity? :angry

Seriously, resting players is nothing new. The Angels have nothing to play for at this point. Done all the time in Basketball and Football.
So do you think the Reds will sit all the regulars again when they play the Cards tonight? I think not. Though out of it, they will give it their best shot, and that helps the Pirates and the Brewers.

You don't sit players just because your regular season is over, one way or the other. Without Pujols and Trout the Angels only mustered 5 hits with 1 run and 15 men LOB and lost. They just GAVE Seattle a win to close in on the A's. That's just wrong.

BTW, you can't compare the effort expended and need for recovery time in basketball and football with the pastoral game that is baseball.

Seriously, resting players is nothing new. The Angels have nothing to play for at this point. Done all the time in Basketball and Football.
So do you think the Reds will sit all the regulars again when they play the Cards tonight? I think not. Though out of it, they will give it their best shot, and that helps the Pirates and the Brewers.

You don't sit players just because your regular season is over, one way or the other. Without Pujols and Trout the Angels only mustered 5 hits with 1 run and 15 men LOB and lost. They just GAVE Seattle a win to close in on the A's. That's just wrong.

BTW, you can't compare the effort expended and need for recovery time in basketball and football with the pastoral game that is baseball.

At first I thought you were mocking your beloved Cardinals with the with your "integrity" comment but it seems like you're serious. The game means literally nothing to the Angels. A win or loss makes no difference in their season at this point. It's more important for them to get into the playoffs with a healthy roster than anything else.

I was completely over the Pirates when their fans decided they single handedly beat Cueto by chanting at him during the game last year.

and then they tried to chant Cueto to throw him off to start the season and he pitched a gem of a game and the fans looked like such tools.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Why?
Are you serious? Remember that Reds lineup yesterday vs. the Cubs? No Bruce, Frazier, BP, Morasco et al. They sat all the regulars to rest 'em up for TONIGHT.

Look at today's vs the Cardinals

CFBilly Hamilton (S)

1BBrayan Pena (S)

3BTodd Frazier ®

CDevin Mesoraco ®

2BB. Phillips ®

RFJay Bruce (L)

LFRyan Ludwick ®

SSZack Cozart ®

That's the best they could possibly field. That's for the Pirates and Brewers benefit. That's integrity. It would be advantageous for them to lose out for a better draft position, but they're better than that.

That anyone can't understand that amazes me.

I'm with you 100% Dead Simmons. Also, there are still some paying fans at these games...correct? I don't think anyone wants to pay to see a game full of non-prospect type fillers. I understand giving regulars rest and wanting to avoid injury if you are a team in that situation, but I have a problem with teams who pretty much treat these games like spring training games and maybe only play 3 or 4 regulars for 7 innings.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Why?
Are you serious? Remember that Reds lineup yesterday vs. the Cubs? No Bruce, Frazier, BP, Morasco et al. They sat all the regulars to rest 'em up for TONIGHT.

Look at today's vs the Cardinals

CFBilly Hamilton (S)

1BBrayan Pena (S)

3BTodd Frazier ®

CDevin Mesoraco ®

2BB. Phillips ®

RFJay Bruce (L)

LFRyan Ludwick ®

SSZack Cozart ®

That's the best they could possibly field. That's for the Pirates and Brewers benefit. That's integrity. It would be advantageous for them to lose out for a better draft position, but they're better than that.

That anyone can't understand that amazes me.

http://i.imgur.com/jC2Bmg6.gif

Your reward for winning the division is to rest tired players, prevent injuries to stars (what would everyone be saying if Trout played last night and sprained his ankle?) and to set up your rotation for the playoff series.

I'm sure the A's would say the same thing. All they had to do was not be the worst team in the AL for the past month and they wouldn't have to worry about who the Angels were playing.

Your reward for winning the division is to rest tired players, prevent injuries to stars (what would everyone be saying if Trout played last night and sprained his ankle?) and to set up your rotation for the playoff series.

I'm sure the A's would say the same thing. All they had to do was not be the worst team in the AL for the past month and they wouldn't have to worry about who the Angels were playing.

Your biggest reward for winning the division is not having to play in a one game move on wild card face off, but resting players certainly is a deserved benefit.

Speaking of the A's, as frustrating as the Brewers collapse has been, being an A's fan has to be worse. That team was not only cruising with what looked like a near lock for a playoff berth, they also made two major trades to add front line starters. Their fans had to think this might finally be their year to reach the World Series, then the team suddenly starts playing like its roster is made up of scrubs and can't win games.

Beane is a really good GM, but this year has to be a massive gut punch if the A's miss the playoffs given the overall circumstances.

Archived