Brewer Fanatic

Random MLB News & Discussion 2014

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Giants shouldn't have needed to protest to begin with. The game had potential playoff implications and should have been suspended regardless of what the rulebook says.

If this happened in April there probably wouldn't have even been a protest.

They really need to change that rule though. Say a game cannot be considered complete unless 7 full innings have been played and one team has a lead of 3 or more runs.

I can't blame SF at all for whining about that game and I'm glad they decided to resume play. If you allow a game to end like that it opens the door for all sorts of shenanigans.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

The Giants shouldn't have needed to protest to begin with. The game had potential playoff implications and should have been suspended regardless of what the rulebook says.

Regardless of my post above, I'm not sure I agree with this. Maybe they need to change the rules, but you can't ignore the rules just because there are "playoff implications". What if this game happened in April and SF finished the season 1 game out of the wildcard spot? Should they then go back and replay that April game? A game in September does not get weighted more than a game in April. They all count the same. The whole season is a "playoff race".

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Just doing a quick eyeball of the last decade (not looking at stats or anything), I think the Brewers would rank surprisingly high.

The 2011 Cards were pretty damn good. They were a 90 win team and 3rd in the NL in run differential at +70 behind the Brewers and Phillies. 2006.....well, not so much

That's the big issue for old school thinking fans. But it's hard to argue that that the playoff system has not proved to be very interesrting, and popular. But I wish they would tweak it in some way so that the actual winningest team had an advantage in the tourney.

That team is the REAL pennant winner. A bye round while the WC teams play best of THREE games would suit me. But the season is too long as it is....That's the argument that could easily be fixed by eliminating off days in September as the teams are 40 men deep, and the off days in the NLCS and WS could be reduced from 3 to 1. They're not loading up on trains anymore to switch towns!

This system would keep the front runners honest because a team with a big division lead could not rest and set up their ace pitchers for the LCS, but keep fielding their best team to the end up with the BEST record in their league to get that bye round.

I don't think anybody likes this 1 game WC business. I hate it.

Regardless of my post above, I'm not sure I agree with this. Maybe they need to change the rules, but you can't ignore the rules just because there are "playoff implications". What if this game happened in April and SF finished the season 1 game out of the wildcard spot? Should they then go back and replay that April game? A game in September does not get weighted more than a game in April. They all count the same. The whole season is a "playoff race".

I disagree with this. Yes, a game in September is weighted the same as a game in April but games in September are more important (depending on the team) because they are the final chance to pull ahead for the playoffs. If you lose a game a April, you still have 150 something games to play to make up for that loss, you lose a game in September, you have 15 games to play. I'm probobly explaining this terrible but I hope you can see where I'm getting at.

Having 3 days off may not really be an advantage especially in baseball where you are used to playing almost every day.
Of course it's an advantage. It's enjoyed by teams of all sports that sweep in the first round and have to wait 'till another round is decided in seven. That's FIVE days off! ;)

Tim Lincecum demoted to the bullpen.

Wow. Just.... wow.

I know. It sure looked like he was "back" when he tossed the no-no. I wonder who will replace him in the rotation?

Yusmeiro Petit.

Someone help me remember, who were we floating and what did we end up doing when we were trying to acquire Petit back when he was in the Mets' system?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Orioles are 7 games up with 75 wins. A +60 run differential. Gotta give them some kudos. They've done it a lot like the Brewers - solid, but not great pitching. A good lineup that sports some plus power. No superstars, but better depth than Crew.

It's not a sexy team, but they are winning. Can't argue with that.

The Mariners gave Jack Z a multi-year extension. Surprising considering he has done little to make the organization better except throw massive wads of cash at Felix Hernandez and Robinson Cano.

I don't think the organization cares as long as he puts together a playoff team.

I follow them a bit and their minor league affiliates are bad...real bad.

On 05/17/2014, Kershaw gave up 7 ER's in 1.2 IP against Arizona. Including that start, he has a 1.73 ERA in 161 IP. Outside of that start, he has a 1.35 ERA in 159 IP.

Obviously any pitcher looks better when his worst start is removed, but Kershaw goes from "absurdly good" to "1968 Bob Gibson" with that start removed!

So long as you're not a member of the "pitcher can't be MVP" philosophy, I can't see why anybody wouldn't vote for Kershaw.

THE MUSCLE IS BACK. THE INDIANS SIGNED RUSSEL BRANYAN TO A MINOR LEAGUE DEAL. FRESH OFF OF A 1.000+ OPS IN THE MEXICAN LEAGUE, HE IS READY TO RETURN TO PUNISHING BASEBALLS IN THE STATES.

Well played Sir, Well Played! (Bigger news) :clap clap:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/as-will-not-protest-thursdays-loss-to-angels?ymd=20140829&content_id=92067546&vkey=news_mlb

Ok Brewerfan rulemeisters, what's the correct call here? I'm not totally up on the obstruction call (even though I have to take a test on it every year for coaching) but I think they actually got this one right. Moss was in Aybar's path without the ball. The reason he ran into the player with the ball was because he was trying to avoid Moss.

Archived