Brewer Fanatic

Random MLB News & Discussion 2014

The thing with Miami is the owner promised spending more money on the team to field a more competitive product. The team went on a spending spree in the first year of the stadium before drastically cutting payroll again. I think if Jeffrey Loria wasn't the owner and the team was more competitive, people will come.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The thing with Miami is the owner promised spending more money on the team to field a more competitive product. The team went on a spending spree in the first year of the stadium before drastically cutting payroll again. I think if Jeffrey Loria wasn't the owner and the team was more competitive, people will come.

I honestly don't think they will. There's just no interest. They've crossed 2 million in attendance twice. First year, and first year of the new park. There's just no excitement for that team. They have a lot of good, young, exciting players, and nobody cares.

Braves continue in their quest to take the sacred torch of classiness from its keepers in St. Louis.

#RespectTheA

http://deadspin.com/bryce-harper-drags-foot-through-a-behind-home-plate-i-1619021159

What would Kirk Gibson say?

He wouldn't say a word. ... Just kidding.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--n7_qVQJa--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/18xf848idk0e2jpg.jpg

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
As (possibly) the lone Ned Yost fan on this board I am glad to see his team having some success. Hopefully I don't get lynched by saying that.

I don't really care about Ned, I'm just happy for the KC fans. It's been a long time since they've been in a race.

http://www.si.com/mlb/2014/08/12/mlb-gambling-facebook-game-fixing Good article on how serious MLB is on the tiniest suggestion that game fixing is occurring. Brewers get a tiny tiny mention too.

Interesting article. Also calls the Brewers an "also-ran club" while referencing a game in September 2011. Of course, the Brewers were on their way to a division title and 96 win season.

Brooklyn seems like a good place, though I'm sure the Yankees and Mets would fight that tooth and nail.

Portland?

Memphis?

Nashville?

Indianapolis?

Something has to be better than anyplace in Florida.

Last week I vacationed in Montreal. Took a tour of Olympic Stadium. One of the tour guides was a big baseball fan and assured me "We're gonna get another team, we're gonna get another team...in three years!"

Could it be you don't have a team anymore is because few people came to see the last team?

Every once in a while I check in to see how some of the former brewer farmhands are doing in the majors.

After a terrible April Jake Odorizzi has been very good. He still doesnt go deep in games. Just 5 starts over 6 IP. This was an issue sometimes in the minors as well but I am guessing it gets figured out.

Michael Brantley simply put is exceeding even the highest expectations for him. His OPS is nearing .900!

Alcides Escobar still doesnt a have a plus bat. But with his fielding prowess is sub .700 OPS isnt as big of a deal. Effective stealing bases as well. only count 3 times in 27 attempts

Brett Lawrie continues to be the biggest disappointment in my mind. He has now missed 1/3 of the games since being traded do to various injuries. And outside of a hot start to his career his bat really hasnt been good. Just a .722 OPS this year and .748 for his career.

With the Angels in first place, only one division leader from July 1st is still in 1st place, the Brewers.

Just to bring it up for fun... Let's say the Brewers win the whole shebang. Where would they rank in terms of best teams to win a WS in the last decade? Maybe the names don't match up with some of the previous winners but never falling out of first place in a very competitive division for most of the season and then winning the WS... that would almost be the perfect season.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Just doing a quick eyeball of the last decade (not looking at stats or anything), I think the Brewers would rank surprisingly high.

2004 - SAWX

2005 - Chicago White Sox

2006 - St. Louis

2007 - SAWX

2008 - Philly

2009 - New York Yankees

2010 - San Francisco

2011 - St. Louis

2012 - San Francisco

2013 - SAWX

Again, just from my basic casual fan memory, that's a pretty weak string of champs. Clearly better than the two Cards teams (lol 2006), the White Sox, and both Giants teams. Probably better than at least a couple of the SAWX teams. I remember Philly being really good the year we lost to them in the playoffs, and glancing at the Yankees roster, they looked really strong.

Just doing a quick eyeball of the last decade (not looking at stats or anything), I think the Brewers would rank surprisingly high.

2004 - SAWX

2005 - Chicago White Sox

2006 - St. Louis

2007 - SAWX

2008 - Philly

2009 - New York Yankees

2010 - San Francisco

2011 - St. Louis

2012 - San Francisco

2013 - SAWX

Again, just from my basic casual fan memory, that's a pretty weak string of champs. Clearly better than the two Cards teams (lol 2006), the White Sox, and both Giants teams. Probably better than at least a couple of the SAWX teams. I remember Philly being really good the year we lost to them in the playoffs, and glancing at the Yankees roster, they looked really strong.

The 2011 Cards were pretty damn good. They were a 90 win team and 3rd in the NL in run differential at +70 behind the Brewers and Phillies. 2006.....well, not so much

The 2011 Cards were pretty damn good. They were a 90 win team and 3rd in the NL in run differential at +70 behind the Brewers and Phillies. 2006.....well, not so much

They got hot and won but I think most people would agree they weren't even the best team in their division that year. A team who leads the division virtually wire to wire and finished with a title is better than any wild card team.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

The Giants won their protest of the rain shortened game yesterday in which the Cubs' ground crew had trouble getting the tarp over the infield. The Cubs were up 2-0, but only 4 1/2 innings were in the books. Technically, that can be considered a complete game with rain, but due to the tarp troubles the MLB claimed "malfunction of a mechanical field device under the control of the home club" aided the Cubs and the game should have been suspended instead of called. Therefore, the Giants-Cubs will resume in the bottom of the 5th on Thursday. It's the first protest upheld in nearly 30 years.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24670234/after-first-upheld-protest-since-1986-giants-to-finish-game-with-cubs

Archived