Brewer Fanatic

Impact of Garza signing on 1B

Now that Garza is a Brewer, the rotation seems a bit crowded.

1. Gallardo

2. Lohse

3. Garza

4. Peralta

5. Estrada, Thornburg, Nelson, Smith, Hellweg

Given this, does anyone believe that we now have an expendable young pitcher to make a deal to get a 1B that isn't Mark Reynolds, Juan Francisco or Lyle Overbay? I have to believe that the Brewers FO is now a little bit more willing to have serious discussions with the Mets regarding an Ike Davis trade or potentially include a young pitcher in a deal for a different 1B. While I still do not want to deal Thornburg or Nelson, if the Mets were willing to take Hellweg for Ike, I would do that today.

Thoughts?

I don't want Davis anymore...we've got the same level of production in the Frankenstein's monster of crap we've got

if they are going to trade players---especially some of the decent young pitchers, they should aim higher than Ike Davis

I think Thornburg and Nelson are headed for the pen long term

I also think Gallardo won't be retained now, so we can't trade too much

I think you see how healthy the veteran arms are during spring training, and see how the young arms are shaping up for the end of the rotation/bullpen spots. Wait for other teams to have pitching/injury issues that would entice them to trade a decent prospect for one of these younger pitchers deemed not to be in the long term plans of the Brewers, along with Weeks and some of his salary.

The Garza signing gives the Brewers options in terms of quantity, and should set them up to deal from a position of strength for a change. Hoping DM takes advantage of that opportunity assuming good health for all these arms in the Spring (very wishful thinking).

I think Yo has some sort of option for 2015 that may not get exercised, making him a free agent after this season. And Lohse still has 2 more years left. Garza's deal through those two seasons gives the Brewers options to move one from one of these guys if some of the young arms do develop.

Yo is signed this year with a $13 million team option for next season. I am fully expecting to see some of the Yo of old this season though, so I anticipate him being here in 2015.

Lohse is signed through 2015 as well.

I really hope Melvin holds Thornburg, Smith and Nelson. Thornburg and Smith fit very nicely with Kintzler in the pen in 2014. Hellweg can be dealt as far as I am concerned and if the Mets want him for Ike, that is a done deal for me.

Still firmly in the just say no to Ike camp he might be a hair better bet than the current options. However it is much easier to imagine a scenario where we could use that one extra arm we dealt rather than feeling like we are going to come up short again at 1st by not having Ike. On the other hand trading a young pitcher not named Nelson for Butler right now looks awfully intriguing.

LaHair is trainwreck bad in the OF...Since the Brewers already have like 45 guys coming into camp that could play 1b, LaHair isn't good enough to warrant bringing him in on top of everything else they have there. Either make a trade to bring in a drastically better everyday 1B, or try to swing a deal to shed some salary when the timing is right.

I think this signing has Attanasio thinking playoffs, and I don't think he'll want to stand pat with the current 1B situation. I think they're going to try to get a good 1B, and I think that means trading one of Thornburg/Nelson plus some other prospects for someone like Butler. Attanasio has shown the propensity to worry about today and let tomorrow sort itself out, and trading Thornburg+ for Butler would fit perfectly well into that line of thinking.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I think this signing has Attanasio thinking playoffs, and I don't think he'll want to stand pat with the current 1B situation. I think they're going to try to get a good 1B, and I think that means trading one of Thornburg/Nelson plus some other prospects for someone like Butler. Attanasio has shown the propensity to worry about today and let tomorrow sort itself out, and trading Thornburg+ for Butler would fit perfectly well into that line of thinking.

I see no way the Brewers will or can pay what KC will want for Butler. And that is before we talk about Butler's salary and questionable ability at 1B.

Archived