Brewer Fanatic

Brewers + Matt Garza; 4 yrs, $50MM + incentives, 5th year option

MVP2110
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Is it too late to pick up Dylan Covey?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Then as soon as Axford gets to St Louis they fill him in on how he's been tipping his pitches and he improves dramatically.

I'm not sure how tipping your pitches makes you miss the strike zone by three feet.

What about the pitches that enter the strike zone?

If Rosenthal was the "first" national name to confirm (after our own BuckyBrewer61 and Adam Rygg of @BrewerNation twitter fame), then he needs to be the one to come out with some clarification on this issue -- same sources, etc.

Something about having cake and eating it too...

My opinion is basically worthless because I despise how this franchise does business. Signing players (particularly pitchers) to big dollar contracts when you're clearly undermanned to begin with is insanity in my opinion. What does Garza do over a 4 year span? There's no help coming and we're clearly not in the top 3 in the division with him, nor will we likely be during his contract. Just because our payroll was $88M last year doesn't mean it has to be this year.

While I disagree with you, I understand your opinion. This deal would be so beneficial for the Brewers on multiple levels, provided Garza remains injury free. While on paper the Brewers in 2014 may look like at most an 85 win team, they could conceivably play a little above their head and reach close to 90 wins. I don't think they have a shot at this without Garza. Now they could also play below average and win 77 games. Garza's contract, provided health and pitching to his form, is a very trade able contract and could bring back multiple prospects, see the Cubs-Rangers deal last season.

I just see this as a win-win deal.

I guess. As I said what I think really doesn't matter so I might as well deal in reality.

Since we have the owner we have (and, to be clear, I'm glad we have him, I just wish he'd approach talent development differently), and we're going to make moves like this, I agree that this is a good risk. It's certainly fair $ wise and he's a very talented guy.

@Bill_Michaels: According to a source, the hang up between the Brewers and Matt Garza IS his elbow.

How is that even possible if he "passed" his physical?? So frustrating. I wonder if the 4th year is actually a vesting option and that's what the hang up is.

"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 11m

Garza, #Brewers still appear on track to complete deal. Continue to work on language in contract. Not clear if related to physical.

That's the first update given by Rosenthal that I am aware of in a few days.

Then as soon as Axford gets to St Louis they fill him in on how he's been tipping his pitches and he improves dramatically.

I'm not sure how tipping your pitches makes you miss the strike zone by three feet.

What about the pitches that enter the strike zone?

I don't want to go too far on this here but he couldn't get his curve over for a strike. Then he had to come in with his very straight fastball. He didn't need to tip his pitches for them to know what was coming. IF it was his curve it was out of the zone so don't bother looking for it. So they only had to look fastball. Even here on the occasions he got both his pitches over he did very well. The problem was he's just very streaky getting the curve over.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

A couple more updates.

JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm

Garza deal with Brewers is expected to be completed in next 48 hours as first reported by @Ken_Rosenthal

Adam McCalvy ‏@AdamMcCalvy

Ryan Braun, who shares an agent with Garza, hints, "Maybe a big announcement today. Maybe." #Brewers

Also just heard an interview with Mark A. and all he said was there was nothing new to report and that the Brewers are a process organization they are working through the process.

So, whatever the reason for the delay, seems like Garza is still set to sign with Milwaukee.

A couple more updates.

JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm

Garza deal with Brewers is expected to be completed in next 48 hours as first reported by @Ken_Rosenthal

Ryan Braun, who shares an agent with Garza, hints, "Maybe a big announcement today. Maybe." #Brewers

Also just heard an interview with Mark A. and all he said was there was nothing new to report and that the Brewers are a process organization they are working through the process.

So, whatever the reason for the delay, seems like Garza is still set to sign with Milwaukee.

All good to hear so far. It sounds today like the holdup is not a medical issue and more of a contract one. We'll see. The stories and rumors seem to flip flop on a daily basis at this point.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

booyah! thankfully it was just contract/vesting language!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

As I just said on Twitter, I had firmly been in the "rebuild" camp. However, it's clear that Attanasio and the Brewers refuse to go that route...so I'd rather have a pitcher like Garza than not. Hopefully the worst case is if the Brewers have a bad season, he stays healthy, pitches well, and can be traded.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

If the Big Unit reports it...pretty good chance it's [expletive deleted]....

Tom ‏@Haudricourt 2m

Here's what held up #Brewers deal with Garza: Agreeing on payouts of deferred money and working out details of vesting option in 2018.

@Bill_Michaels: According to a source, the hang up between the Brewers and Matt Garza IS his elbow.

How is that even possible if he "passed" his physical?? So frustrating. I wonder if the 4th year is actually a vesting option and that's what the hang up is.

If the Big Unit reports it...pretty good chance it's [expletive deleted]....

Tom ‏@Haudricourt 2m

Here's what held up #Brewers deal with Garza: Agreeing on payouts of deferred money and working out details of vesting option in 2018.

Sorry to get off topic, but what do any sports talkers bring to the table, particularly Michaels? His sources are frequently way off based, his knowledge on all sports is highly questionable, and he doesn't even bother showing up to most of the events locally. Guy is a big time Fraud.

Hearing Garza's 4-yr deal with #Brewers guarantees $50mm, with $4mm more available in incentives and a vesting option for 5th year at $13mm

Wow, that is so team friendly I honestly can't believe this deal. Even if the option vests that presumably means Garza is healthy, he'll still be just 35, and given continuing inflation for free agent pitchers $13m is going to be peanuts by the 2018 season.

Archived