Brewer Fanatic

Matt Garza

I have it on basically no real authority - a friend of a friend who claims to have a "source" which he will not identify - that the Brewers are close to signing Matt Garza and supposedly will sign him tomorrow.

Yes, that rumor is about as reliable as it sounds, in part because I haven't heard any grumblings of this prior to today. Thought I'd at least throw it out there to see what people thought about the prospect of offering Garza. Obviously would depend heavily on the contract he would be given.

I am not Shea Vucinich

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll have to find where I put this but this has been my "Doug Melvin Special Under the Radar" prediction all offseason. 5 years $75 million was my early offseason guess. Not saying its good or bad, just that it seemed like a Melvin move.

EDIT: December 4 http://forum.brewerfan.net/viewtopic.php?p=871485#p871485

This is an Attanasio type move in my opinion, not a Melvin type move. I could see it happening. Doesn't seem far fetched to me. Trying to make a splash again. I would imagine Weeks would need to be dumped on someone willing to take on any of his contract if this happens.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Something like this would have made more sense if we had done a little bit better on the 1st base side. I suppose injuries might create opportunities, but I'd worry a little bit about filling the rotation too much and keeping some of the younger guys from getting a clear shot.

I agree with Igor---signing Garza would make more sense if they had traded some of the young pitchers---now, it would be kind of a weird move...

It would improve the team, and it would allow them to move Marco back to the pen, but it doesn't seem likely in my opinion

I'll have to find where I put this but this has been my "Doug Melvin Special Under the Radar" prediction all offseason. 5 years $75 million was my early offseason guess. Not saying its good or bad, just that it seemed like a Melvin move.

EDIT: December 4 http://forum.brewerfan.net/viewtopic.php?p=871485#p871485

I liked the Lohse signing and still do, but I couldn't get behind this signing if it is anything close to your estimate. Unless they are packaging his signing by trading young pitcher(s) to pick up a good, young 3B or 1B. Then it would work.

I could get behind Garza as he would immediately improve the weakest area of the team; but offering 5/75 would be a major mistake. Maybe 4/50 or something similar would work by 5 years is too long.

I don't think for a second we are actually signing Garza but Garza, Gallardo, Lohse, Peralta, and either Estrada or Thornburg would be pretty solid. It also might allow for a trade of one the back end starters for something useful.

I agree with Igor---signing Garza would make more sense if they had traded some of the young pitchers---now, it would be kind of a weird move...

If we sign Garza, we could definitely still deal a younger pitcher and/or prospects for a first baseman. Garza's talent level is definitely higher than any of the young arms we have aside from maybe Peralta or Nelson.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

If this is true, have to think Doug has a trade in mind for a 1B or something... Maybe we're trading Thornburg for Ike now?

But damn I could really get behind this rotation

Gallardo

Lohse

Garza

Estrada

Peralta

It would improve the team, and it would allow them to move Marco back to the pen, but it doesn't seem likely in my opinion

I think Thornburg/Smith/Nelson/whoever else is fighting for the 5th spot in the rotation would go to the bullpen/minors before Estrada is sent to the pen.

WE are going to see some of those guys in the pen either way, I was trying to figure out what to do with the surplus pitching...

if Garza was signed:

Gallardo

Garza

Lohse

Peralta

Estrada/Smith/Nelson/Thornburg/Fiers/Hellweg.....

Nelson and Hellweg to AAA, Fiers and Smith to the pen, Estrada or Thornburg---one 5th starter and one long man...

this would make the team better, no doubt, I just don't think it's realistic

Don't forget that Garza has no draft pick attached---i think now that Tanaka has signed, all the other Free Agent pitchers will start signing quickly---I also think Garza may be the most valuable in the group bc he doesn't have a pick attached and has a nice long, consistent track record

If this is true, have to think Doug has a trade in mind for a 1B or something... Maybe we're trading Thornburg for Ike now?

This was my thought precisely as well. If Garza were to be signed, I would have to imagine Melvin would be more inclined to deal a young pitcher like Thornburg to fill 1B. I think the real question for Melvin in this scenario is are the Brewers better with Garza & Ike or Thornburg & Reynolds/Francisco/Overbay. Of course those aren't the only two options. The third is Garza & Reynolds/Francisco/Overbay, with Thornburg in the pen.

I don't like the signing if true because we are still sitting without a true #1 ACE type pitcher. Garza gives us three #2 - #3 type pitchers, probably more so on the #3 side. Garza at best is a #2 type in my opinion.

The signing would probably make us more competitive, but he won't push us into contending for the division territory. If we lose Thornburg in a trade for a risky 1B option because we sign Garza, I REALLY disagree with this.

Enter Mike Carp into the discussion, not just Ike Davis...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Archived