Brewer Fanatic

Which numbers will be retired?

jjkoestler

Agreed on Aaron, JohnBriggs12.

He played in County Stadium for the first 12 years of his career and only left because the team left. He was a fan favorite, a two-time pennant winner, twice won the batting title, won an MVP award, lead the league in RBIs 3 times, HR twice. . .

He goes on to more greatness in Atlanta, and then returns "home", back to County Stadium, to close out his career--the conquering hero.

It's necessary for the major league franchise in Milwaukee to honor the player who made such an impact here, even if he wore the jersey of a team that doesn't play here any more.

Hank Aaron's # being retired is an homage to his Milwaukee legacy and not his Brewer legacy. While I am too young by almost 2 decades to remember the Milwaukee Braves, I remember distinctly my grandmother telling me how the Braves leaving Milwaukee ripped her heart out and left a hole in the City.

Hank Aaron should've been a Milwaukee Brave lifer and the Braves decision to move to Atlanta has no bearing on what should have been a career in Milwaukee. His number being retired by the Brewers is more an honor to what he performed while calling Milwaukee home.

I know I'm in the minority, but I completely disagree with this. Your reasoning is probably true, I just don't feel like that's valid reasoning to retire a number. I don't feel that guys should have numbers retired based on the CITY they played in. Teams move, players move with them, they're still part of THAT franchise. It just so happened that the Braves moved during Aaron's career and after NINE seasons in Atlanta, he came back to Milwaukee (and a completely different team) for two mediocre seasons. That just doesn't warrant a Brewers number being retired.

Again, I know I'm in the minority on this, but to me, retiring numbers belongs to the team/franchise and not the city. Sure, players and fans get attached to cities, but ultimately, if the franchise moves, so do the players/stats with it. And if you're retiring a number, it should be for contributions to YOUR franchise, not the city.

Wrong on virtually all points. You had to be there to understand the emotion of the time. The Brave franchise was basically stolen from Milwaukee by a bunch of Chicago hotshots, not coincidentally who were neighbors of Cubs owner at the time. Don't think Aaron had connection to Milwaukee?? Read his book "I had a Hammer". The return of Aaron to Milwaukee on opening day 1975 literally had fans in tears. He meant that much and his hiatus in Atlanta from 66 to 74 hurt and to me still does. I was there on opening day 1975 and witnessed his next to last (no. 754) which was a walk off vs. Rangers. He points to that HR as being one of his most treasured.

Braun blew his chance for number retirement with the PED scandal. Had he owned up to it, he'd have had it retired. Fielder walked away so end of discussion. Hoffman's time in Milwaukee was nothing more than a footnote to his career. Of course it it was up to me I wouldn't have retired Molitor's number either. It wasn't so much the act of signing elsewhere, but it was his signing with the only team to finish ahead of the Brewers the prior year, and then when they wanted him back later on, he went instead to the Twins.

I'd have retired Jenkins before any of those. Not advocating that but he gutted it out for this franchise.

How nice of you to tell me that my opinion is completely wrong just because I wasn't there. I realize most disagree with my view on it, but I don't appreciate being told that I'm flat out wrong, especially when the basis for it is that I'm either too young to understand or that I wasn't around to experience it. Experiencing it doesn't change my opinion that retired numbers are related to a franchise, not a city.

I never once questioned Aaron's meaning and importance to the city of Milwaukee. The man is a legend and one of the best players of all time that was proud to call Milwaukee home. I get that. I do however really question his importance and contribution to the Brewers franchise themselves. Milwaukee as a city can do anything they want to honor the man (and they have), but if we're talking about a franchise retiring a number, IMO, that should be for contributions made to that team, not a team that has been moved to another city and is still in existence. And like I clearly stated, I know I'm in the minority on this, I'm just stating my opinion that retired numbers belong to franchises, not cities. If the Milwaukee Braves had simply folded or been abolished, that's one thing, but they simply just moved to another city and are still in existence.

Same thing with guys like Spahn. If Milwaukee wants to honor him in some fashion, that's fine, but to retire a number of a player that never even played for the franchise just seems downright silly IMO.

Retiring Spahn's & Matthews' numbers would be like the Minnesota Wild retiring Neal Broten's number he wore with the North Stars -- an idea that would be laughed at in these parts in spite of the fact that he's one of the best MN-born players ever, won a National Championship at the University of MN, was a major player for the Miracle On Ice team that won the gold at the Lake Placid Olympics of 1980, then played in two Stanley Cup finals with the North Stars, for whom he was also an All-Star.

There's every bit of the same logic at play. (Side note: The North Stars were moved to Dallas by a greedy owner who was determined to make the move no matter whether or not the powers that be here met his demands -- almost all of which they eventually did, albeit behind his desired timeframe -- and after stringing the process out for a long time, he eventually moved the team anyway, which obviously was his MO in the first place...) Broten's number is retired by the North, er, Dallas Stars, as it should be. But he never played for the Wild. As loved as he is in MN, they should never retire his number. He was an early front-office guy for the franchise and is hugely loved as a native son who's achieved nearly every hockey pinnacle -- and for MN teams (although it took being traded to NJ to actually win a Cup). But he never played for this team.

The Walk of Fame or whatever they call it is for the Gantners of the world. Retiring a jersey number historically has been an honor more rare in baseball than HOF induction. Gantner isn't near that eschelon. Spahn & Matthews were of that caliber, but for the Braves -- who honored them accordingly -- not for the Brewers.

Retiring Spahn's & Matthews' numbers would be like the Minnesota Wild retiring Neal Broten's number he wore with the North Stars -- an idea that would be laughed at in these parts in spite of the fact that he's one of the best MN-born players ever, won a National Championship at the University of MN, was a major player for the Miracle On Ice team that won the gold at the Lake Placid Olympics of 1980, then played in two Stanley Cup finals with the North Stars, for whom he was also an All-Star.

I was trying to find an analogy just like that.

Neal Broten never played for the Wild. Aaron played for the Brewers. I am glad he got his number retired here. There have been a number of times where visitors have commented that they didn't know Aaron ever played in Milwaukee. Some people think he played his entire career in Atlanta.

I wouldn't be oppose to Fielder getting up there. I wouldn't be upset if he wasn't.

Winning a major award (or two) while with the team and getting into the HOF should be enough to get your number retired. That is why Fingers is up there. That is also why I think Braun will get up there unless he completely collapses without PEDs.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

There are only so many numbers, retired numbers should be reserved for special players, not players who leave for more money.

I liked Prince, but he will play more years out of a Brewer uniform than in one, so I don't think he is worthy of a retired number...

Not a fan of Fingers being retired, but what's done is done...

I honestly think that the only numbers the brewers should have retired are Yount and Aaron...

I am on the fence about Braun, it all depends on what happens from here on out... If he rights the ship, stays clean, and plays in Milwaukee for another 8 seasons, puts up the numbers, he should probably be retired.

We have no other players in our history that measure up to Hank and Robin, Braun has a chance, but we will have to wait and see how his situation plays out...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Aw yes...the Personal Grudge. I know it very well. Like mine with Jim Gantner. Beloved by every other Brewer fan but hated by WTP.

Yup, exactly, with me, it's Molitor...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Hank Aaron absolutely deserves to be on that wall, despite not completely hitting my requirements. He had a long tenure with the City's team, obviously only 2 late years with the Brewers. Not just a HOFer, but a top ten all time player. MVP of Milwaukee's only WS, just not with the Brewers.

However, just think of what he meant to baseball in the city. He put fans in the stands when the team was struggling with the scars of the Braves move. He's also a historical figure that transcends the game. Outside of Jackie Robinson, there aren't many who are as consequential to the game as Hank. He's ours. He's never been anything but supportive of Milwaukee as a city and a community. With all due respect to Robin Yount, and he'd be the first one to say this, Hank Aaron is the greatest player ever to don a Milwaukee Baseball uniform and is the most important figure in Milwaukee baseball history (although Selig would be a valid argument). His number shouldn't just be retired...the team should be playing at Aaron Park, located at 44 Aaron Park Way.

Bob Uecker- #0. No, that's not in blue. And he would get a kick out of the #0. I think some teams retire way too many jerseys in all sports, and there's no way any Brewer past or current qualifies. Braun COULD eventually, but he's not there yet.

The actually already retired #50 to honor Uecker's 50 years in baseball.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Bob Uecker- #0. No, that's not in blue. And he would get a kick out of the #0. I think some teams retire way too many jerseys in all sports, and there's no way any Brewer past or current qualifies. Braun COULD eventually, but he's not there yet.

The actually already retired #50 to honor Uecker's 50 years in baseball.

I'm pretty sure it's just "honored" not retired even though it is up with the retired numbers.

Yeah, I don't think the number 50 is actually retired. I think it simply notes "50 years." At least one team has honored a broadcaster with a microphone rather than using a number. The honor is the same as discontinuing the use of a number, and it makes sense to go this route when someone didn't actually wear the team's uniform.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived