Brewer Fanatic

Which numbers will be retired?

jjkoestler
I was having a discussion today about the next number the Brewers will retire. I think the Brewers will retire #51 (Hoffman) when he goes to the HOF, but a few other folks disagreed. What are your thoughts? Additionally, will the Brewers retire #28 (Prince) and/or #8 (Braun)? I say yes to both as well.
"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

I sure hope they don't retire Hoffman's. I wouldn't mind if they stick with that they have to make the hall of fame to get their number retired as long as they played a substantial part of their career here. Therefore Hoffman and Sheffield would be no's. Hopefully Braun and Fielder, with a potential dark horse in Ted Simmons.

I have to say no to Hoffman and Fielder. Hoffman was phenomenal in 2009 and atrocious in 2010. I have severe reservations about retiring his number. Fielder...my thought is this...If they didn't retire Cecil Cooper or Geoff Jenkins #, then they shouldn't retire Prince Fielder's.

Braun will be retired if:

1. Puts up typical Ryan Braun numbers for the next 3 seasons

2. Rehabilitates his image in the Milwaukee community

Lucroy has a shot if he can be our catcher and produce like he has for the next 5-6 seasons.

Only time will tell on those two items.

My guess is they retire Hoffman's number. He will be a HOF player that played for us, and did have one pretty good season. Given the fact that we have very few retired numbers, I think it's due to happen. He also was very well liked and respected here, whereas Sheffield is despised by almost everyone.

I think Prince probably, Braun....I dunno. His numbers will certainly warrant it, I just wonder how bad the stain of the suspension is going to last.

Braun is a maybe, only if he returns to MVP levels. Nobody else is even close at the moment.

The only other player on the team that may even have a shot at would be Segura, and he would have to put up numbers like he did the first half of last year for the next 10 years, and all 10 years as a Brewer.

I can't see them retiring Trevor Hoffman's number. His connection to Milwaukee is very weak.

And I can't see them retiring Fielder or Sheffield.

Maybe they'll assign 70 to Bud Selig and will do something with that, though the number 70 isn't really a baseball number.

It may be awhile before we see one of those ceremonies. Since he's signed for so long, Braun makes sense--though it will take a high level of performance and off-field cleanliness to put him in position for consideration.

The Brewers retired Fingers' numbers and he was a Brewer for 4 seasons (3 good, 1 bad).

I also have an issue with his number being retired. However, winning a Cy Young and an MVP in the same year (1981) and being (arguably) the MVP of the only World Series team (1982) the Brewers ever had makes it a little more palatable.

Guess it depends on your criteria for retiring numbers. To me, it should be someone who is at least a borderline hall of fame player (i.e. at least someone in the conversation for the ballot) WHILE playing for the team for a significant period of time. And/or someone who meant a great deal to the team/city (like Jon McGlocklin and the Bucks). Having not been around/too young for the Fingers years it's hard to say how I feel about that, but he feels like someone I'd be on the fence about.

I'd vote no on Hoffman, he was obviously a hall of fame player but not as a Brewer. IMO his case for having his number in the rafters is as strong as Dan Kolb and John Axford's.

I'd also vote no on Fielder. I have no issue with him leaving for big bucks, perfectly understandable, but when he left at the very first chance I felt he surrendered the right to a retired number (in fact I mentioned this to friends at the time - he traded a lifelong legacy in MKE for the money. Which is fine, totally his prerogative)

Braun's obviously a bit of a wild card, but I have a feeling the steroid thing will kind of pass and he'll end up in the rafters, but only time will tell. I'd put my money on yes though unless his production seriously drops, he gets traded, or he keeps getting suspended. Lucroy would have to be really good for many more years to meet my criteria. Segura obviously too early to tell.

I will say that I wouldn't vote for it...but if someone decided to retire Sabathia's number I kind of wouldn't have a problem with it, that half a season was as magical as any, and the city of Milwaukee did and still does love that guy. I really hope he pitches in MKE this year.

I am not Shea Vucinich

Unless Braun tanks the rest of his career, he will for sure. By the time he retires no one will care about his PED fiasco.

Hoffman should be a no, but I could see it happening after he gets to the HOF just for the pub. If Fielder makes the HOF, I think there's a good chance he gets retired. I don't think either should, but I could see it happening.

I'd say that Hoffman relates to Don Sutton, who was here for a similar amount of time and didn't have his number retired.

Fingers' selection to me is somewhat tenuous. While this would never be publicly acknowledged by the Brewers, I'd bet that if they had it to do over again, Rollie's number wouldn't be retired.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I agree with casey. They retired Fingers number when they were desperate to celebrate some history. You look at that wall and say who doesn't belong up there it's Rollie...and I freaking love Rollie. If there was one guy to replace him with I'd go Cecil Cooper since he had a longer tenure with the club, but in general I'd have just kept Rollie off and left it with the rest of them. I wouldn't retire Hoffman or even Fielder. Braun has the best shot, but time will tell.

The requirements need to be long tenure with team, majority of career including re-upping with a contract (Braun > Fielder here), HoF career and some flag flying in the outfield. Those are my requirements.

There are many other options like the Walk of Fame to honor important players who may not cut it to the elite echelon. Let's not be the Bucks and retire everyone. Keep it exclusive.

If Fielder went all David Ortiz for the rest of his career I could see retiring his number as well, but yeah Braun is the only guy who even has the HOF possibility right now, unless Lucroy plays as long as Fisk

SoCal nailed it for why they retired Fingers' number. Really, the same could be true for Hank Aaron b/c he only played a couple unspectacular years for the Brewers, although Aaron had a decade-plus of his Braves years of greatness in MIL, which obviously carried ample (if indirect) sway re: having his Brewers number retired.

Fielder? No. Braun? I hope so, but it's way too early to predict.

Hoffman & Sabathia? Sorry but no.

Lucroy's somewhere on the spectrum between Cooper & Gantner -- hopefully more like Cooper by the end of his career, though he doesn't have anything close to Cooper's power -- and I don't think either of those are worthy of having their numbers retired.

(I at least like that we're now able to have this discussion about great players and not just career-long Brewers like Gantner, (whom I remember so well and like a lot and) who was as great guy & an important part of the team . . . but hardly a great player.)

Not to change the discussion, but why is everyone ok with Hank Aaron (and his two very poor seasons with the Brewers), but not ok with Fingers? Aaron as a Brewer hit .232 with 22 homeruns. Granted, he was in his 40's, but those numbers are pretty bad. I know he spent a lot of time in Milwaukee, but those years were all with the Braves.

I know Aaron is looked at as a legend and one of the best ever, but his time with the Brewers was terrible. From a sheer stats standpoint, Fingers was way, way more deserving than Aaron.

Not to change the discussion, but why is everyone ok with Hank Aaron (and his two very poor seasons with the Brewers), but not ok with Fingers? Aaron as a Brewer hit .232 with 22 homeruns. Granted, he was in his 40's, but those numbers are pretty bad. I know he spent a lot of time in Milwaukee, but those years were all with the Braves.

I know Aaron is looked at as a legend and one of the best ever, but his time with the Brewers was terrible. From a sheer stats standpoint, Fingers was way, way more deserving than Aaron.

I have to believe that if the Brewers had 30-40 years of history behind the franchise and mostly-career Brewers players in the HOF by the time Aaron & Fingers played for them, there's no way the Brewers would've retired either 34 or 44.

Hank Aaron's # being retired is an homage to his Milwaukee legacy and not his Brewer legacy. While I am too young by almost 2 decades to remember the Milwaukee Braves, I remember distinctly my grandmother telling me how the Braves leaving Milwaukee ripped her heart out and left a hole in the City.

Hank Aaron should've been a Milwaukee Brave lifer and the Braves decision to move to Atlanta has no bearing on what should have been a career in Milwaukee. His number being retired by the Brewers is more an honor to what he performed while calling Milwaukee home.

Hank Aaron's # being retired is an homage to his Milwaukee legacy and not his Brewer legacy. While I am too young by almost 2 decades to remember the Milwaukee Braves, I remember distinctly my grandmother telling me how the Braves leaving Milwaukee ripped her heart out and left a hole in the City.

Hank Aaron should've been a Milwaukee Brave lifer and the Braves decision to move to Atlanta has no bearing on what should have been a career in Milwaukee. His number being retired by the Brewers is more an honor to what he performed while calling Milwaukee home.

I know I'm in the minority, but I completely disagree with this. Your reasoning is probably true, I just don't feel like that's valid reasoning to retire a number. I don't feel that guys should have numbers retired based on the CITY they played in. Teams move, players move with them, they're still part of THAT franchise. It just so happened that the Braves moved during Aaron's career and after NINE seasons in Atlanta, he came back to Milwaukee (and a completely different team) for two mediocre seasons. That just doesn't warrant a Brewers number being retired.

Again, I know I'm in the minority on this, but to me, retiring numbers belongs to the team/franchise and not the city. Sure, players and fans get attached to cities, but ultimately, if the franchise moves, so do the players/stats with it. And if you're retiring a number, it should be for contributions to YOUR franchise, not the city.

Community Moderator

No on Fielder and Hoffman. Both should be on the walk of fame though, along with Sabathia, Jenkins, Cirillo, Sheets, and Weeks (eventually).

Braun is a tough case. Right now it makes me sick to my stomach to think that his name and number would be next to the other Brewers legends. That will probably mellow out with time if he can show he can still perform at a high level without cheating. Even without the PED stuff, I'd like to see him get to the World Series. I know baseball is a team sport, but there's something not quite right about retiring a number of a player who didn't at least win the pennant in Milwaukee.

If Braun put up another small handful of very good seasons and makes the Hall of Fame (or at least HoF level...who knows if voters will ever forgive him?), yes, his number will be retired.

I wouldn't really be big on Hoffman having his number retired, but I wouldn't hate it either. I could see it happening simply for the fact that it's obvious Mark Attanasio had a huge man crush on him while he was here and he got to 600 saves as a Brewer.

The Brewers have set the retired number bar extremely high, and I think that's the way it should be. People like Jenkins and Cirillo should be on the Walk of Fame. Jim Gantner played his whole career in Milwaukee and was well loved, but even he has never had his number officially retired.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I have no problem that Aaron's number is retired as he played his best years in Milwaukee and won the World Series in Milwaukee. Actually think it is too bad Spahn and Mathews were never Brewers as I wouldn't mind their numbers retired as well. Definitely would take a Spahn statue over another Uecker.

I have no problem that Aaron's number is retired as he played his best years in Milwaukee and won the World Series in Milwaukee. Actually think it is too bad Spahn and Mathews were never Brewers as I wouldn't mind their numbers retired as well. Definitely would take a Spahn statue over another Uecker.

I wouldn't mind Spahn (#21) and Matthews' (#41) numbers retired. Both were huge parts of Milwaukee baseball history, even though they never played for the Brewers...though I'd have to go back and look to see what players have worn their respective numbers since then, as that could be possibly problematic.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I wouldn't mind Spahn (#21) and Matthews' (#41) numbers retired. Both were huge parts of Milwaukee baseball history, even though they never played for the Brewers...though I'd have to go back and look to see what players have worn their respective numbers since then, as that could be possibly problematic.

I completely agree with this and also would not mind (in fact would be all for) retiring Spahn and Mathews' numbers too. The two of them played a combined 1 season in Atlanta, while playing a combined 25 years in Milwaukee, in that same parking lot we all inhabit every summer. So why shouldn't we celebrate them here?

I am not Shea Vucinich

I agree 100% with Mathews and Spahn's numbers being retired by the Brewers. I would also like to see Jim Gantner's number retired too, as a way to reward a local baseball hero and to perhaps inspire Wisconsin's youth.

Ted Simmons not being in the Hall of Fame is a huge oversight.

No to one hit wonders (Hoffman).

I know I'm in the minority, but I completely disagree with this. Your reasoning is probably true, I just don't feel like that's valid reasoning to retire a number. I don't feel that guys should have numbers retired based on the CITY they played in. Teams move, players move with them, they're still part of THAT franchise. It just so happened that the Braves moved during Aaron's career and after NINE seasons in Atlanta, he came back to Milwaukee (and a completely different team) for two mediocre seasons. That just doesn't warrant a Brewers number being retired.

Again, I know I'm in the minority on this, but to me, retiring numbers belongs to the team/franchise and not the city. Sure, players and fans get attached to cities, but ultimately, if the franchise moves, so do the players/stats with it. And if you're retiring a number, it should be for contributions to YOUR franchise, not the city.

Wrong on virtually all points. You had to be there to understand the emotion of the time. The Brave franchise was basically stolen from Milwaukee by a bunch of Chicago hotshots, not coincidentally who were neighbors of Cubs owner at the time. Don't think Aaron had connection to Milwaukee?? Read his book "I had a Hammer". The return of Aaron to Milwaukee on opening day 1975 literally had fans in tears. He meant that much and his hiatus in Atlanta from 66 to 74 hurt and to me still does. I was there on opening day 1975 and witnessed his next to last (no. 754) which was a walk off vs. Rangers. He points to that HR as being one of his most treasured.

Braun blew his chance for number retirement with the PED scandal. Had he owned up to it, he'd have had it retired. Fielder walked away so end of discussion. Hoffman's time in Milwaukee was nothing more than a footnote to his career. Of course it it was up to me I wouldn't have retired Molitor's number either. It wasn't so much the act of signing elsewhere, but it was his signing with the only team to finish ahead of the Brewers the prior year, and then when they wanted him back later on, he went instead to the Twins.

I'd have retired Jenkins before any of those. Not advocating that but he gutted it out for this franchise.

Archived