Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Overbay

markedman5
I feel like Overbay is just a injury protection/awful performance in ST signing. I cannot really imagine the brewers going into the season with four 1B options with Morris/Rogers in AAA waiting, at the end of March I think the brewers will grant FA to either Reynolds or Overbay. I cant really imagine they'd give up on Juan Francisco, who they traded for and have under controlled costs for another two years, that quickly. im sure this was mentioned before in the 3 pages, I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I feel like Overbay is just a injury protection/awful performance in ST signing. I cannot really imagine the brewers going into the season with four 1B options with Morris/Rogers in AAA waiting, at the end of March I think the brewers will grant FA to either Reynolds or Overbay. I cant really imagine they'd give up on Juan Francisco, who they traded for and have under controlled costs for another two years, that quickly. im sure this was mentioned before in the 3 pages, I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in.

I agree there is no way that all 3 make the opening day roster, barring an injury to Ramirez. Overbay would certainly be released but Reynolds and Francisco may actually have some trade value. Nothing more than random, never will be minor leaguer, but trade value none the less.

The more I think about it, the more I think Overbay does make the team in a Mark Kotsay like role. obviously without the ability to play the outfield but a solid veteran bench bat that will always give you a good at bat when he's up. I think it'll be a battle between Francisco and Overbay to make that bench role, but wouldn't rule out them finding a way to keep all 3.

If Lyle makes the big league roster, will he get his uniform no. 11 back, OR will they change his number so his fans have to get new shirseys? Tiny point to ponder, but it gets my mind off the 1B void.

if overbay makes the roster, it's quite possibly at the expense of sean halton being optioned. really makes it insulting to halton if overbay has to ask him for his number, huh?

If Lyle makes the big league roster, will he get his uniform no. 11 back, OR will they change his number so his fans have to get new shirseys? Tiny point to ponder, but it gets my mind off the 1B void.

To be honest, this was one of the first things I thought of. I remembered someone wore 11 last year but couldn't remember who. He's only worn 11 with the Brewers so he might be open to other options.

He wore 35 and 17 with Toronto and both of those numbers are free.

He wore 37 in Pittsburgh and Arizona and that's free.

He wore 27 with the Braves (which I don't even remember happening) but that's Gomez.

And he had 55 with the Yankees last year but that's Marcus Hanel. Maybe he'd give it up for him like he did for Linebrink was it?

The Brewers have six players listed as outfielders on their 40-man roster and I believe zero outfield NRIs.

nris for outfielders kentrail davis, mitch haniger and kevin mattison. none would expected to get a ton of playing time, but with the brewers, one never knows.

sean halton was an nri last year and he got a lengthy audition, being one of the last players cut from camp. with overbay and reynolds in the mix, halton is going to have few opportunities to shine in camp.

22 march is the deadline for overbay to be added to the mlb roster (presumably, 40-man). if not placed on the roster, he can declare free agency 48 hours later.

That's an early deadline. Frankly I don't see the Kotsay comparison at all. Kotsay could play all 3 OF positions and had proven he could handle coming off the bench. Overbay coming off the bench is a .222/.303/.340 hitter in his career with one strikeout in every 3 ABs. That compares very unfavorably with his starter numbers of .269/.350/.437 and 1 strikeout in every 4.6 ABs.

Kotsay had a lot more experience coming off the bench (about twice as many AB's), and his numbers as a sub: .283/.340/.406 were actually better than as a starter: .276/.332/.404. Plus Kotsay was a lot tougher to strike out both as a regular and a sub, (once every 9.58 as starter and once every 6.36 as sub). With bullpens as they are today, with max power high strikeout rate pitchers, the ability to hang in there and eventually put the ball in play or take a walk can't be underrated. Overbay isn't that guy. Not even close.

Overbay had a couple decent seasons, but in general he's been a very mediocre bat. At an offensive position, he's posted an OPS over .800 just once since 2007. Two of his last 3 years he was sub .700. I'd go with Reynolds and hope he rebounds to 35 HR form and I'd look for a more versatile and more contact oriented lefty bench bat than Overbay or Francisco for goodness sakes.

Kotsay could play all 3 OF positions

Kotsay could play CF like Yuni could play SS. Sure they could be there but they really shouldn't.

And we were lucky enough to see both of them play there in game 3 of the NLCS.

Lucky is a word. Not the word I would use.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Kotsay could play all 3 OF positions

Kotsay could play CF like Yuni could play SS. Sure they could be there but they really shouldn't.

And we were lucky enough to see both of them play there in game 3 of the NLCS.

Fortunately neither impacted the outcome at all

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I think/hope the Overbay signing is mostly insurance in case Ramirez or Francisco or Reynolds gets hurt

I am expecting Mark Reynolds to start most of the season and put up 200 strikeouts and 35 bombs with about 90 walks. Our new 3TO

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

The most likely scenario is that Francisco or Overbay is the LH part of a platoon at 1B. If neither looks like they can really do that then Reynolds would be come the defacto full time 1B. That assumes that there is not a trade for one of the 1B that may end up out there.

• 1 month later...
The problem is the Brewers seem to believe Overbay is similar to Kotsay offensively. Overall numbers maybe. But they are not similar hitters. Overbay's fanned once every 4.6 AB's in his career to Kotsay's once every 8.5. Most of Overbay's AB's have come as a starter, not a late inning PH where you face high octane, high strikeout relievers. Say what you want about Kotsay, but he did make those type pitchers work and he could more often than not put the ball in play. I don't like either Overbay or Francisco coming off the bench late to face power pitching relievers. That's not a favorable matchup.

I think Melvin made his offseason moves with the thought of Reynolds being the everyday guy with Overbay getting some starts here and there and being a PH off the bench. I think Roenicke will like Overbay's style of play and make him the everyday guy. I don't think that would turn out well.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I think Melvin made his offseason moves with the thought of Reynolds being the everyday guy with Overbay getting some starts here and there and being a PH off the bench. I think Roenicke will like Overbay's style of play and make him the everyday guy. I don't think that would turn out well.

Roenicke was the guy pushing for Alex Gonalez at first base last year. How'd that work out? Now he's quoted by JS that stats this spring won't be determining factor. I guess he has to say that because his guy Overbay is 0 for his last 24 in Arizona. Of course this is the same guy who used Craig Counsell repeatedly as he went through his 0 for 45 or whatever that abomination was a few years back.

And they wonder why this team is slow out of the gate? Looks like another year when they'll be 10 back by Mother's Day.

Yeah, but if the main starters actually play well, the guys we hope aren't getting many ABs probably won't be, then. . . . which would be the best scenario given who'll make the roster.

(Sorry, kind of a circular statement, but it made great sense in my head before I typed it.)

Archived