Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Overbay

markedman5

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Better this approach than giving up something of value for Ike Davis, who may not be as productive as an Overbay/Reynolds platoon anyways.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

I don't love this move but I don't hate it, either. And I think it speaks to how poor the 1B market has been this winter.

502, how many legit 100 OPS+ guys are you suggesting were realistically available? By "available" I mean as not-overpriced FAs or as trade targets who didn't require overpayment to acquire.

So does this mean, we'll see a Reynolds/Overbay platoon at 1B this year?

Maybe. However, I'd doubt we'd see BOTH a Reynolds/Overbay platoon at 1B AND a Weeks/Gennett platoon at 2B because they'd quite possible be left with no utility IF . . . or they'd have to carry only 4 OFs.

So does this mean, we'll see a Reynolds/Overbay platoon at 1B this year?

Maybe. However, I'd doubt we'd see BOTH a Reynolds/Overbay platoon at 1B AND a Weeks/Gennett platoon at 2B because they'd quite possible be left with no utility IF . . . or they'd have to carry only 4 OFs.

Carrying 4 OFers when the 5th is Schafer is hardly a terrible thing. Overbay/Reynolds could stand in a corner OF spot if really needed.

Not sure how there would be room for Overbay on the roster with Francisco recently signed, isn't Francisco's contract guaranteed at this point?

Only partly if its a typical arbitration type contract. If he's cut before the season he only gets a prorated amount.

Not sure how there would be room for Overbay on the roster with Francisco recently signed, isn't Francisco's contract guaranteed at this point?

Only partly if its a typical arbitration type contract. If he's cut before the season he only gets a prorated amount.

Perhaps they also envision Francisco moving back to 3rd as a backup to Ramirez?

I don't get why people would keep suggesting JF21 as a potential back-up or fill-in at 3B. He was so lousy there defensively that they only played him at 1B after just a few games at 3B. His reputation preceded him to MIL and it only took a few games before they realized it was fully justified. . . . And of course he was totally lousy defensively at 1B, too.

After last year, it's good to see DM preparing for the possibility of a run of injuries at 1st. Of course this year the run of injuries will happen somewhere else, necessitating the signing of Yuni B.

(I really wish that last sentence was in blue, but it is only cynical, not sarcastic).

There are only so many 1B rep to be had in Spring Training. Between Francisco, Overbay, Reynolds, Halton, and Morris someone isn't going to get any time. Halton and Morris probably have a huge uphill battle just to get in games.

To be honest, I'd rather go into the season with Halton and Morris, and dump the other 3 bums. If we are going to give up at one spot in the order, let the youngsters prove what they have, or don't have so we know a little something about them as future players...

Keeping Halton and Morris on the bench in ST seems like a stupid move to me, especially when we already know what Overbay, Reynolds and Francisco bring to the table...

I'm just so sick of the 1B situation on this team. The only positive is that it has to be better than last year........I think.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I don't love this move but I don't hate it, either. And I think it speaks to how poor the 1B market has been this winter.

502, how many legit 100 OPS+ guys are you suggesting were realistically available? By "available" I mean as not-overpriced FAs or as trade targets who didn't require overpayment to acquire.

To start with I would not have been outbid for Corey Hart. I'm pretty certain I'd be getting an OPS+ of about 120 right there with quality defense. But now he's gone.

To start with I would not have been outbid for Corey Hart. I'm pretty certain I'd be getting an OPS+ of about 120 right there with quality defense. But now he's gone.

You really would've been willing to commit to pay Hart up to $13M or more?

Besides Hart, what other options did you see?

For what little it's worth, When Lyle Overbay was here before, I liked the fact he was a left handed first baseman. Having his glove on the right hand allowed Overbay to apply quick tags on pick-off throws. If I recall correctly, Chris Capuano had something like 12 pick-offs one season. I think Overbay not having to reach across his body had a little to do with that. Hopefully, he still has a little of that mojo in him.

How much would it be to cut him and where can I donate to make it happen?

I'm not a fan of JF.

Archived