Brewer Fanatic

One more bat?

Emilio Bonifacio was DFA'd the other day... I wouldnt mind giving him a shot to make the 25 man.

He's plays every position except for 1B.

I was thinking that too. He can be the insurance in case one of, or both of, Week and Gennett flops while still being able to backup everywhere else.

That's a good point... I would be fine with Bonifacio playing 2B if needed.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bonafacio would give them what Weeks can't: versatility and the ability to still steal a key base, qualities that make for a good utility player. Of course he'd also provide protection for both Gennett and Ramirez and also provides some veteran flexibility in the OF should Gomez go down at any point. Not sure whether Doug is ready to end the charade of Weeks having a bench role. Methinks he still thinks he can get something in a trade this spring for Rickie. But if he's not confident that will happen, he might want to at least consider cutting the cord now if Bonafacio can be had. Even if he clears waivers and gets released, somebody is likely to give Bonafacio a 40 man spot and the Brewers would have to make one somehow.

Bonafacio would give them what Weeks can't: versatility and the ability to still steal a key base, qualities that make for a good utility player. Of course he'd also provide protection for both Gennett and Ramirez and also provides some veteran flexibility in the OF should Gomez go down at any point. Not sure whether Doug is ready to end the charade of Weeks having a bench role. Methinks he still thinks he can get something in a trade this spring for Rickie. But if he's not confident that will happen, he might want to at least consider cutting the cord now if Bonafacio can be had. Even if he clears waivers and gets released, somebody is likely to give Bonafacio a 40 man spot and the Brewers would have to make one somehow.

I would remove Elian Herrera or Miguel De Los Santos to make room.

I'd rather see Bonafacio make the roster over Bianchi. Aside from playing SS Bianchi what value does he bring to the team? He can't hit either LH or RH pitching so he can't platoon. He can't hit for power and is a liability on the base paths. If you replaced Bianchi with Bonafacio you could keep a platoon at 1st, 2nd and even Caleb Gindl off the bench if LF needed a platoon.

C Maldonado

1B Reynolds/Francisco/Overbay

2B Gennett/Weeks

OF Gindl

2B/SS/3B/LF/CF/RF Bonafacio

Seems like a no brainer to me.

@WiscoSportsNut

I'd rather see Bonafacio make the roster over Bianchi. Aside from playing SS Bianchi what value does he bring to the team? He can't hit either LH or RH pitching so he can't platoon. He can't hit for power and is a liability on the base paths. If you replaced Bianchi with Bonafacio you could keep a platoon at 1st, 2nd and even Caleb Gindl off the bench if LF needed a platoon.

C Maldonado

2B Gennett/Weeks

OF Gindl

I absoltely agree... Bianchi doesn't bring us much.

Come on Doug, Bonifacio is just sitting out there!!

I like the Bonifacio idea. Right now we have very limited positional flexibility on the roster, and he could change that himself. Whoever he would replace (Weeks or Bianchi), it would seem to make a lot of sense.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I like Doug as our GM but... As much sense as this makes, it won't happen.

Because there is a decent market for him. And it's such a weird case where he costs a decent amount in salary but he doesn't provide much salary relief to KC if traded since the contract isn't guaranteed. And the Yankees are in desperate need of infield help as are the Dodgers.

C Maldonado

2B Gennett/Weeks

OF Gindl

I absoltely agree... Bianchi doesn't bring us much.

Come on Doug, Bonifacio is just sitting out there!!

Against LH starters last year Bianchi batted .288. Overall Bianchi hit .258 vs. LHP. Weeks hit .195 vs. LH starters and .226 overall. Bianchi had 25 RBI in 252 plate appearances. Weeks had 24 in 399. The Brewers went 6-22 in May last year. Weeks started 24 times that month and the Brewer record was 2-22 in those games. Bianchi started the other 4 at 2B and the Brewer record was 4-0. My point isn't that Bianchi is better than Weeks necessarily but that you really want both backup infielders to be capable of playing all over, not just one, especially if you plan on using Bonafacio on occasion in the OF and at 3B, and that Bianchi's perceived lack of offense really is overstated. Bianchi had a .307 BA at the AAA level. He's also out of options.

Against LH starters last year Bianchi batted .288. Overall Bianchi hit .258 vs. LHP. Weeks hit .195 vs. LH starters and .226 overall. Bianchi had 25 RBI in 252 plate appearances. Weeks had 24 in 399. The Brewers went 6-22 in May last year. Weeks started 24 times that month and the Brewer record was 2-22 in those games. Bianchi started the other 4 at 2B and the Brewer record was 4-0. My point isn't that Bianchi is better than Weeks necessarily but that you really want both backup infielders to be capable of playing all over, not just one, especially if you plan on using Bonafacio on occasion in the OF and at 3B, and that Bianchi's perceived lack of offense really is overstated. Bianchi had a .307 BA at the AAA level. He's also out of options.

No, if anything Bianchi's lack of offense is understated. He is terrible. His wRC+ last year was 53. Against left handers it was 51. That is horrendous. That was worse than Yuni. He can't hit. His only value comes from a plus glove. So no, he is not a candidate to platoon with Gennett and he is a candidate to be replaced.

Wallace is still only 27 and got rushed to the big leagues, I'd love to take a look at him and hope he's another Gomez type late bloomer. With the trash heap that we have at 1B and no real studs in the pipeline there, what's the harm?
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Bonafacio has been placed on release waivers now. Starting with teams with worst records (both leagues), teams can claim him and take on his $3.5 million salary. If he clears, he's free to sign with anyone.

I could see the Cubs claiming him before the Brewers would get a shot. He's probably better than their options at either 2nd or 3rd, and then they deal him in July to make room for one of their kids.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Bonifacio would be a nice depth pickup. He could replace Bianchi. He could platoon with Scooter at 2B, play some OF. I'm not sure how good of SS he is. However, I don't think the Crew would pay $3.5 million for a backup infielder. That's just too rich for this team. And besides, I think someone else will take him. He'd fit well with the Mets.

Bonifacio would be a nice depth pickup. He could replace Bianchi. He could platoon with Scooter at 2B, play some OF. I'm not sure how good of SS he is. However, I don't think the Crew would pay $3.5 million for a backup infielder. That's just too rich for this team. And besides, I think someone else will take him. He'd fit well with the Mets.

I believe the 3.5 million salary is only if someone claims him before 2 PM tomorrow after that he'll be a FA.

But I agree he would replace Bianchi and 2B is his best position so he would be a good platoon mate with Scooter.

Someone will probably claim him before the Brewers. However, if he were to become a free agent, someone would very likely guarantee him a bigger role than the Brewers would offer, so it's unlikely he would sign here. With everyday players at every position he plays, he could find himself sitting the bench for the Brewers for long periods. That is unless the Brewers were going to send Gennett to AAA and dfa Weeks, guaranteeing Bonifacio the 2B job, but that's not likely to happen.

An opportunity cost question: The Brewers just spent roughly the same amount owed Bonifacio to sign K-Rod. If that money could have been spent on K-Rod or Bonifacio, who would you rather have?

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

That's a good question monty. At first glance, I'd take K-Rod over Bonifacio all things being contractually equal because of K-Rod's pedigree. I'm not impressed with Bonifacio's defensive numbers at any of the defensive positions that I read on Baseball Reference. And what he may do with the bat could pretty closely be replicated or beaten by whom the Brewers have already on the roster.

I'd rather have Bonifacio as a non-roster invitee over the other utility guys they currently have though.

Archived