Brewer Fanatic

One more bat?

Ok, first base seemingly is settled. I believe Reynolds was signed not to platoon but to be the everyday guy there.

So where does that leave Francisco? He has trouble making contact when he's playing regularly. What's he likely to do against power relievers as a pinch hitter?

There's been stuff written that either Reynolds or Francisco can play 3B. That's a stretch too. Both are very subpar defenders.

One guy is out there that I think would be a better bench option than Francisco and that's Wilson Betemit. Betemit is a veteran switch hitting 3B who's better from the left side. Not a great defender, but better than Francisco. Has career .774 OPS, .819 vs. RHP. Doesn't possess great power but can drive the ball, and makes better contact and wouldn't be an automatic K vs. a power late inning reliever. Probably can be had on a minor league deal after spending most of last year in Japan.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you assume 13 position players, though it's never a sure thing with this organization, you gotta think Luc, Maldy, Reynolds, Ryan Gennett, ARam, Segura, Bianchi, Khrush, GoGo, Braun and Schafer are sure bets right now. I think this is overall a pretty good group. Maldy, Bianchi and Schafer give you good back up defense all over the diamond, while the lineup should produce near the top of the NL assuming luck doesn't take a dump on us.

I'd think Weeks and Gindl have the inside track on the last two spots with Francisco taking Weeks spot if we can find a taker in spring training or decide to eat the cash.

I agree with JB12 that it would be nice to upgrade the Weeks/Francisco spot (I'm fine with Gindl as a 5th OF) and like his Betemit suggestion. Would also inquire with Cleveland on Lonnie Chisenhall's availability with Carlos Santana lined up as the Tribe's third baseman.

The only way Overbay seems to make sense is if they are either going to cut Francisco or if they think Francisco is the 3B backup. I would think it has to be the former. I agree that I would rather have a backup who can play either corner position, but I guess they'll just ride out A-Ram's knees and flip a coin if they don't hold out.

Right now, it looks like:

1B: Reynolds

2B: Gennett/Weeks platoon

SS: Segura

3B: Ramirez

LF: Davis

CF: Gomez

RF: Braun

C: Lucroy

Bench: Maldonado, Weeks/Gennett, Schafer, Overbay, Bianchi

Having two guys who only play 2B, and two guys who really only play 1B (I know Reynolds played 3B, but not well) will really limit the team's flexibility. Oh well, we still have a few weeks before pitchers and catchers report, so we'll see if they do anything else.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I just dont see how all three of reynolds/francisco/overbay can make the team

one has got to go

i think we may see week/francisco flipped for an over priced closer coming off an injury plagued or lousy season---our pen needs depth more than our bench right now, so that would make sense considering the cash is sunk...

too many bench bats eating money

It appears that the following currently make up the 2014 Milwaukee bench:

C Maldonado

1B Overbay OR Francisco

2B Weeks/Gennett

UTIL Bianchi

OF Schafer

Unfortunately, I see a ton of light hitting and position specific players i.e. Gennett only a 2B, Overbay only a 1B. Fortunately, I think the Brewers have a backup 3B in Reynolds so when Ramirez needs a day, Reynolds shifts to 3B and Overbay subs at 1B. The only case to be made for Juan Francisco making the team over Overbay right now is his ability to play (terribly) 3B. Francisco though is the only real bench power we have right now. Ugh...the roster construction has really limited the Brewers options and may be the reason Francisco makes the team...great.

I don't get why people keep putting Schafer in over Gindl. Yes Gindl can't play CF for any long period of time but his bat is so much better that having to deal with him playing CF two games a month is fine. If Overbay makes the team he can play corner OF if needed.

I don't get why people keep putting Schafer in over Gindl. Yes Gindl can't play CF for any long period of time but his bat is so much better that having to deal with him playing CF two games a month is fine. If Overbay makes the team he can play corner OF if needed.

I like Gindl better as well...however I don't think the FO does. That's why I put Schafer over Gindl.

I like Gindl's bat better than Schafer's as well, but I don't believe the Brewers will enter the season without a 2nd person who can play CF. I'd prefer they get rid of Weeks and find a starting 1B whose backup plays multiple positions, but if they don't, they are only going to have four OF, so the backup has to be able to play all three spots.

If they had the room, I'd like to see Gindl on the roster to get a decent amount of PT in LF. Davis should be the starter, but I'd like to have the lefty Gindl get a couple starts a week against RHP. But, as long as we have two 1B-only players and two 2B-only players, we're going to be shallow in other positions. Bianchi will probably be the only backup for SS & 3B, and Schafer for all three OF positions. At least we'll have three guys who can play 2B and four who can play 1B (incl Lucroy and Maldonado)

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

to me it feels like were going to end up with a bench of Gindl Schafer Overbay Bianchi/Herrera/Falu and Maldy, I think Weeks and Francisco barring a superb spring fail to make the club

I would think the chances Weeks gets traded or DFA'ed before opening day is extremely low. The decision makers love him, they're obviously going to try and contend, and handing Gennett the 2nd base job outright is low, much less without much of a safety net.

Weeks, even after last year is still a guy who could post a .800 OPS this year, and Gennett is a guy who I've always really liked, but a guy who had an unsustainable BABIP last year, and doesn't walk, suggesting to me he could see a significant slump in his second year in the league.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I was hoping to sign a UT bat that can handle SS and CF kind of like Jerry Hairston specialized in. I just don't know whats out there after Chone Figgins signed a minor league deal. My main reasoning for wanting the UT player is because I'd like to see Gindl make the team as a possible platoon option with Khris Davis if he falters. However the only way you can really stick Gindl on the bench is if you can find someone who can handle CF. As a guy who's never been on the Bianchi bandwagon I think this is where the opening would fit. I just don't have a clue who that mystery player could be.

Maldonado C

Reynolds / Francisco 1B/3B

Weeks / Gennett 2B

Gindl/Davis LF/RF

Mystery player SS/CF

@WiscoSportsNut

@Yoshii:

I have always liked the idea of Colvin. I think he would profile perfectly as a LH backup to Mark Reynolds at 1B, as well as a 5th OF in a pinch. Our bench would have a little more flexibility at that point in time versus keeping Overbay, who should only play 1B, or Francisco, who should never see the field period.

The only problem with Colvin is...man are we becoming former Cub filled. Ramirez/Garza/Colvin :laughing

Archived