Brewer Fanatic

Which do you trust more?

igor67

So I came across this situation when a question about a couple of players popped into my head. I'm hoping people refrain from trying to guess the players for the time being.

both players have below average defensive reputations, though player A reputation includes good and bad years defensively, while player B would be regarded as consistently below average.

Player A Baseball reference WAR 16.0 Fangraphs WAR 15

Player B Baseball reference WAR 12.3 Fangraphs WAR 17

Who would you have rather drafted/ who was a better player?

I tend to prefer fangraphs version of WAR personally. That said in this particular instance I would take player A as his values are less divergent between the two systems.

An example like this does a great job of illustrating the shortcomings of WAR, however. Without knowing how much of each individual value is derived from offense, playing time, defense and position the numbers don't really tell us anything of substance. Just goes to show that WAR should start the conversation, not end it.

My personal favorite is Cabrera/Trout. Over the last three years they have identical WARS of 21.1 per fangraphs. Of course Cabrera has 134 more games/547 more plate apperances than does Trout over that same time frame.

WAR is just a starting point. Without knowing the playing time and wOBA I wouldn't even bother picking either.

I also wouldn't even look at BR WAR. I don't like the defensive stat they use for WAR.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived