Brewer Fanatic

MLB replay in 2014

adambr2

- Each manager will get one challenge, and earn another if they win the first.

- Starting in the 7th and after the manager has used his challenges, the umpires can initiate review of a call.

- Force plays, tag plays, trap plays in the outfield, batters being hit by a pitch, fair and foul plays in the outfield, and others, can all be reviewed. They will be reviewed by replay officials in New York, only if there is "clear and convincing evidence". (basically baseballs version of "indisputable evidence). I like this because I don't like the same crew who made the calls being the ones who have to decide to overturn it (avoid ego conflicts).

- Those same replay officials will also decide where to place runners after an overturned call.

I like it. I think it's long overdue. I certainly don't expect it to be perfect -- there will most likely be some kinks especially in the first year. But it's a lot better than having nothing, so I'm glad they've finally thrown away past excuses like tradition and how to go back and place runners, etc and have finally implemented real replay.

I also think it will add an exciting late game element/wrinkle to the game.

Why wait until the 7th for the umps to initiate a review?

Are there not calls that can cost a game in the first through 6th innings?

Review ALL close plays and be done with it. I like the idea of a 5th umpire, with monitors in front of him, watching each call as the game unfolds and making the decision if need be.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Community Moderator

It's probably going to have some issues at first, but replay had to get done. It was inevitable. The command center works well in the NHL and it's better to have multiple people looking at the video replay than a single "5th" umpire.

90% of the replays will be easy. It only takes 10 seconds to see if a player is safe/out or if a ball is fair/four/caught/etc. If it takes more than a few looks, the call on the field should stand.

The one thing I do take issue with is allowing the umpires on the field to initiate reviews at any time. This will be trouble. If a manager uses up his challenge and another questionable call happens, he's going to run out on the field and ask for another review. It will lead to an argument if the umpires refuse.

Think about it--the Brewers will probably never again lose a game because of some stupid safe/out call that everyone knew was wrong. After about half a season it will be completely natural--and then we will start wondering why we still let the umpires screw up ball/strike calls that could be reviewed tennis-style (automatically, on the scoreboard) in less than 15 seconds. We might even see that before 2020!!!

Archived