Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Mark Reynolds (Minor League Deal)

markedman5

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Horrible, horrible idea...

It is these decisions that leads me to believe that Melvin needs to go. This is just an absolute asinine decision that reeks of trying to sign a "name" to play a position that we have equal quality on our own roster.

Watching this guy whiff all season long is going to be a downer for sure.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Adam McCalvy ‏@AdamMcCalvy 1m

I overstated "to be everyday first baseman." Reynolds is signing a Minor League deal & will be looked at for 1B, but must earn spot.

[expletive deleted]

He will be handed the job during and after spring training.

We MUST have a gritty veteran to have success.

Pogo, I'm with you. Basically he's a better OBP version of Francisco. Reynolds' star has fallen the last few years. Sometimes players have a revival. Playing in Miller Park and--hopefully--batting 7th will give him the chance to really shine. Based on past numbers, we can project roughly a .230 avg, .315-.320 obp, and lots of homers and K's. Just like with Branyan or Francisco, we can focus on positive contributions if he hits 7th or 8th, whereas hitting 4th or 5th we'll get frustrated. The lineup below would have a very strong 2-6, with nice power potential at the bottom. Not a great OBP team, but a decent SLG team. While no regulars are lefty, we'd have at least 4 lefties that could be rotated into the lineup and produce.

*Mark Reynolds has struck out 1276 times in 3418 at bats. (career) 37.33%

*He has struck out more than 200 times 3 times in his career and holds the MLB record for strikeouts in a single season. (223 in 2009) He also is 4th all time in single season strike-outs with 211 (2010)

*He has hit 30 or more HR in a single season 3 times. (2009, 2010, and 2011)

*Batting average the last 4 seasons:

2010 .198

2011 .221

2012 .221

2013 .220

I sometimes wonder how guys like this continue to get jobs in MLB. We would rather trot this garbage out there all season long than to look at our youth and evaluate them and their futures with our organization. What is the difference between hitting Reynolds 8th, or Halton/Francisco/Morris? The other problem is that I can see our manager hitting Reynolds as high as 5 or 6, he is a grizzled veteran after all.

Community Moderator

Nice move. Same numbers as Ike Davis at a fraction of the price.

Also, Francisco struck out once every 2.8 PA last year, while Reynolds was 1 K per 3.3 PA. So Reynolds would actually be a reduction in strikeouts...LOL.

You don't sign a guy like Reynolds to not be on the major league roster. Basically the same guy as JF, so I'm assuming there's going to be a righty/lefty platoon at 1st. Reynold's splits are actually inconsistent. My original thinking was that his best years was when he was playing for AZ and their home field which is almost exactly what Miller Park would offer him. I was beginning to think that he could have a resurrection of sorts in Miller Park, and as some others have said...playing in Cincy and Chicago more is definitely going to help his numbers.

So then I looked at his splits during the 09, 10, and 11 seasons. He actually hit more HR's away from than while at home.

His righty/lefty splits are even more inconsistent. He slightly better OBP and OPS against lefties than righties.

With that said, as long as he and JF stay in the 7 hole, I can get on board with this. With that said though...I am strongly upset with Doug Melvin and Mark A this offseason. They held their hand too much on Cory Hart and that blew up in their face. By doing so, they left themselves with absolutely no options. I was very much hoping/thinking that Melvin had an ace up his sleeve that no one was thinking of. Someone that the Brewers organization could have utilized to sell some more season tickets so that we can get close to 3 million fans again. With the year that we had last year, plus the whole Braun PR nightmare....I would have thought that the Crew would have made a huge splash to get the fan base excited again. Guess I was wrong.

Let's hope that a 30 year old Reynolds can produce enough at the 7 hole. Go Crew.

owbc, I didn't look at the rates, but I assumed it was a "better" K rate for Reynolds over Francisco. Additionally, his walk rate is very good. Even the year he hit .198, he had a .320 OBP (25 pts higher than Francisco last year and 10 points higher than Hunter Morris in AAA)

brewtank, I'm upset that they gave Hart such a cheap offer. But Francisco/Reynolds--or even just Reynolds--has a legit chance of outproducing Hart or Ike Davis at a fraction of the cost. cheap productivity is good. That's why platoons can be a good value

Perfect signing, I love this. He is a much better offensive player than anybody else we could have hoped to get (and obviously his upside is 2009). His downfall as a solid player has always been his horrible defense, but if they use him at 1B and not 3B then hopefully it won't be so bad.

I like it as long as if Reynolds makes the team, Francisco isn't the LH platoon mate...hoping for a LH hitter with a bit more contact potential...Taylor Green maybe?

Also, isn't Morris a LH hitter? if he's able to have a good spring and either make the big club outright or get called up early in the season, that's not a bad platoon mate to pair with Reynolds. Also like that he's got some experience over at 3rd and coupld play there in a pinch if needed.

Love that it's a minor league deal - more competition the better and this tells me the Brewers' brass wants Morris to earn the everyday 1B job eventually, but they aren't quite ready to just hand it to him until he proves he can hit MLB pitching.

Archived